BBC received 134 complaints after TEOT Part 2

Tanith

He has been on screen for barely a minute and already Matt Smith's tenure in the title role of Doctor Who is proving controversial.

The BBC received 143 complaints from viewers after Smith, newly regenerated from David Tennant in the New Year's Day edition of the show, looked at his new head of hair and said: "Still not ginger". But the BBC today said those viewers who thought the remark was anti-ginger and might encourage playground bullying have got the wrong end of the stick.

You see, the Doctor wants to be ginger. "We would like to reassure viewers that Doctor Who doesn't have an anti-ginger agenda whatsoever," it said in a solemn-looking statement on the BBC website. "This was a reprise of the line in the Christmas Invasion episode in 2005, when David Tennant discovers that he's not ginger, and here he is, missing out again - disappointed he's still not ginger."

Still, you could imagine how some sensitive viewers got the wrong end of the stick. And just in case you think the BBC is still anti-ginger, the corporation goes on to point out: "In addition, the Doctor's previous companion Donna Noble (Catherine Tate) and his new one Amy Pond (Karen Gillan) are both redheads." Not only that, Chris Evans is the new breakfast host of BBC Radio 2.

Source:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/mediamonke...not-anti-ginger

That xmas card that was banned this year... my brother got it for me lmfao. I'm not ginger, but he likes to think I am for some reason :blink: We have the same hair colour lol!

And as funny as I think it all is, I'm not anti-ginger as my cousins are ginger themselves :P

Edited by Lizzy

The whole "ginger" thing is a real dilemma for me.

Ginger hair on a bloke is more or less a sign saying "snowball me, my hair is this colour so that you can clearly see the target and thus enable your aim to be true"

But I really fancy red haired women, one of my all time favourite games is 'memorize every freckle on her body' and while you can play this with blondes and brunettes, freckles tend tend to crop up in more interesting places on the auburn haired!

You would think with all the booze and food around at New Year people would have better things to do than ring the BBC!

Edited by IG69

all rather silly, and 134 ppl is what not even half a percent of the population? lol, it was a joke weather the doc wants to be ginger or not doesnt matter, was a small joke, these ppl who complained are pathetic, lol i mean the last and current companions are red heads!, i personally think matts doc was more disappointed, 900 odd years and not a ginger head of hair.

this country is really f up, 134 ginger wingers complain about this getting headlines? lol still not as bad as the mess the government and local government are in with this weather

Complaints like these are hilarious, such a trivial thing where the intention of the comment is so clearly not in any way designed to cause offence, and yet you get people actually taking the time out to complain and during the Xmas holiday period!!

Would those same people find offence if the Dr said at some point that he's having a 'blonde' moment?

Guess the question after this business is whether the complainants have 'won', will be at the next regeneration when, ginger haired or not, does the new Dr make reference to his or her hair colour again?

Whole thing is crazy! :blush:

hi i think it is ridiculous that people have compained about this episode of doctor who as it is one of the best episodes ever and anybody who watches doctor who, who is any sort of fan knows that the Doctor wants to be ginger and that this line was simply refering to a line said by David Tennant in a previous episode:

DOCTOR: "am i ginger?"

ROSE: "No, you’re just sort of... brown"

DOCTOR:"Aww, I wanted to be ginger. I’ve never been ginger."

:( get facts straight before complaining people!