George Takei

Antoine1985

As usual, a very big thank-you to the Showmasters team for a great event. Came on Sunday to meet the Nightmare on Elm Street cast members and the wonderful Mr. Takei.

It was an absolute pleasure meeting Heather Langenkamp, Robert Englund and Lisa Wilcox - the ladies were incredibly gracious and keen to answer questions, great to meet them after being an Elm Street fan since I was little. Robert was very busy all day so I didn't get to spend too much time talking with him - but kudos to him for trying his best to chat with such short time, and keeping the fans happy by constantly shouting out in Freddy's inimitable voice!

Great photoshoot too.

Even though I had a fantastic time meeting those guys I have to say the highlight of the day for me was Mr. George Takei, surely one of the warmest, friendliest guests Showmasters have signed up. From the second I started talking to him it was like you were talking to an old friend!

He was really interested in the '70s Star Trek poster of him and William Shatner I asked him to sign, and we talked all about the show and his episode of The Twilight Zone... and, er, Pez. Haha!

I was really disappointed that I wasn't able to make it on the Saturday and therefore couldn't get a professional shot with him - and even moreso when I saw he wasn't doing posed photosnaps... but then he made my day by posing for a couple regardless!

AntonyandGeorgeTakeiNovember2009.jpg

AntonyandGeorgeTakeiNovember20092.jpg

I also felt that he was the most talkative participant in the Star Trek chat - but saying that, I thought he probably would be - is there anyone more instantly associable with Star Trek than Mr. Sulu himself? :-D

We all know that George is a regular on the fan circuit, so please, Showmasters, ask him back again! I've just acquired the 8" Sulu doll and I'd love him to sign the shirt! :-)

I'm so happy I made the trip down from Preston as all four of the guests I met were amazing. I was curious if any other fans have experiences with George - or the Nightmare cast - they'd like to share? I'd love to hear them!

• Moderators

I echo everything above, George was really lovely and sweet, and although I currently have a mental blank about what we talked about, we had a nice chat for a few minutes.

And he has some of the nicest penmanship of any guest that was there this weekend.

I totally agree etmuse - I meant to mention that in my original post. His autographs are stunning - that must have taken some practise, surely!

GeorgeTakeisignedposter.jpg

Apologies for the low-quality image, I've already framed the poster! :-D

Edited by Antoine1985

He definitely seemed to be the most receptive guest. When I handed him the picture to be signed (Sulu fencing), he started saying how that was his favourite episode and how much he loved doing 'The Naked Time'. He was great to meet.

I met George at MK a while back and he couldn't have been lovelier. He was so easy to talk to and genuinely interested in what people had to say and what they were bringing to him to sign. Just a total gentleman; one of those guests so nice I would love to meet him multipule times if only I could afford it.

Edited by Princess83

brilliant man, I really enjoyed the trek talk, they were all good in the talk and it was a pleasure listening to chase and rene but i could listen to george all day! and I loved how he was fighting for the mic lady to get to the ppl in order as she skipped some with there hands up. so elegant and a gentleman

very happy with my photo shoot pic also

legend.

IMG_0893.jpg

George is always great to meet, and always has something interesting to say. It doesn't matter if you have met him before you just know you will go and meet him again....and again.

The only problem is that I am running out of things for him to sign!

Yes, Mr Takei was very friendly. Certainly my favourite of the guests I met. I went up with a friend of mine and he chatted with us both and asked us where we were from. And when I replied Brighton he told me about doing panto here 10 years ago. *g*

He was also one of the few people in the entire day who got he point of my asking people to pose with The Hat. Or at least, he acted like he did. Billy Dee Williams was bemused by the request and Cristina Da Silva was polite but calm (but no taking away from either of them, they both still posed as requested! *g*) but Mr Takei laughed happily at the request, grabbed the hat of me and, well ...

4145621768_a4aea9a9f4_b.jpg

Edited by Stenun

I loved meeting Mr Takei :o We went up to him several times, he probably thought we were stalking him, which to be fair, was what we were doing - and it's not like we blended in into the crowds XD;

I went to the photoshoot and when he saw me he exclaimed "oooh! full uniform!" XD; Then as I was going, he said "Yeoman" XD; Which is what he kept on calling us for the rest of the weekend~~ Seems I was demoted :( I had 1 stripe on my sleeves! :angel:

When we went up for autographs, again, he said "Yeomen!" ...It really shouldn't make me as happy as it does! He was interested in the spelling of my name, though seemed disappointed that it wasn't randomly made up, but a fact of the Polish alphabet :o I contributed to George Takei's knowledge XD; <3

"And do they still air Star Trek on TV in Poland?"

"I think only at like, 3am...."

"Ah.... yes, typical right?" (or something like that)

"But that's okay! We've got the DVDs and watch it all the time :D"

*while signing said DVD's cover* "Yes! It's all happening right here!"

That man is amazing ^^

We went back again later to ask him to hold up an 'I ♥ ONTD_STARTREK" sign - which he did happily, twice, 'cause the first time you couldn't see the writing :o We had like a 15-20 minute conversation with him, 'cause we study Japanese, and he tested us (which we passed! ♥) and had a chat about expanding cultural understand and how it makes you a better person etc.

We.... stalked him some more on Sunday too :/ He must have been so fed up with us XD But the last time, I came up with a picture of all the TOS cast, and told him I decided to start a collection (although I should have started it last time - "ah, yes! Leonard came here didn't he?") and he praised it as being a great idea and gushed over the photo choice ^^

Lastly, we asked about his panto, and he told us to come see it, and see him at the stage door after XD; (We're already planning to colour code ourselves to jog his memory.... :huh:)

I'm not sure I've ever acted that pathetic in my life XD (Although if I meet Nimoy again, the level of how utterly pathetic I was will seem miniscule XD 'Cause I love Nimoy ._.)

I think I can speak for both of us when I say Takei made our weekend! He was really nice, and gracious... and didn't act at all fed up when we kept on coming up to see him XD; Talking to him made me happier than even when Momoa said that 'no one in Star Trek ever looked that great' xD; Which, tbh, made me very happy! Very much comparable to sitting on JRD's lap :o

I'll stop gushing now ._.;

Takei ♥♥♥

Lovely to hear all of your anecdotes from meeting George - I think it's safe to say he's one of those guests you're never going to have a bad experience with! It's really great to see some of your photographs too - the photograph uploaded by Stenum just proves what a good sport he is!

He really does seem to have so much time to chat to fans. I mentioned the new Mego-inspired Sulu doll and he told me a story - he said as a little boy his mother would be constantly told that he looked like a little doll; and now he is one, which he considers quite the honour... I told him he should be just as proud of the fact he's been immortalised as a Pez dispenser, to which he responded, "Yes, sometimes my life has moved in mysterious ways!"

Haha!

Sakuraso, glad to hear you're going to the pantomime - I'm currently trying to work out the most beneficial night to go myself... It seems such a mission to get down to Chatham from here in Preston, but for Mr. Takei, I think it might just be worth it! Maybe I'll see you at the stage door!

Keep your George stories coming, please! :-D

I forgot to add! He loved our tribbles XD

He spent about 5 minutes playing with one, and even when he managed to put it down, he kept on reaching out to touch & pet it constantly XD;

That particular tribble has now been named George. :D

....Mine's called Leonard XD;

We actually tried to stalk him at the end of Saturday when he was leaving, but we were thwarted by Bronson Pelletier who attempted to flirt us into converting to New Moon & Twilight in general xD;

I met him on Sunday and he was great! He thanked me for coming out in the horrible weather!

He was great in the talk insisting that Chase sit in the center! I can't remember if it was him or Rene who said to the crew member with the mic 'you're not very good at your job are you?' :angel:

But he was great and has the best signature of any guest! :D

I got to meet Mr. Takei at Collectormania 12, but he was so busy that they weren't allowing posed photos. I leapt at the chance to have a photo shoot with him this time round! He commented on my uniform just before the photo was taken. I still joined his autograph queue and met him a second time, of course, and he remembered me from the photo shoot. He signed my copy of his autobiography.

GeorgeTakei.jpg

When I walked in on Saturday morning at 9am he wa sone of the guests already sitting at his table waiting to start the day; something that I expected from George.

My first time meeting him he didn't dissappoint; he was lovely, a real gentleman. I talked to him about Heores and about his time in I'm a Celebrity and at this point in the day he was doing posed photos at the desk. He was such a lovely man and everytime I saw him he had a huge smile on his face. A pleasure and I would definitely meet him again :D

and I loved how he was fighting for the mic lady to get to the ppl in order as she skipped some with there hands up. so elegant and a gentleman

Yes! The mic lady skipped me out and he made sure that I got to ask my question by making her go back for me.

What a gentleman. And what a voice! I could listen to him talk for hours!

I loved that he ended his answer for me with something along the lines of 'we really did live long and prosper'

ledgend!