• true blood , vampire diaries
    • vampire diaries & Twilight
    • vampire ball
    • horror ball
  3. 3. section 3

• mixed horror guests
    • vampire guest for any shows

joss shows only please!!

there is four main shows to pick from plus a web series, so chances are there will always be guests people want to meet.

i think mixing the shows will just mean people will hold of buying tickets till either someone they like is there or the full line up.

if sm want to use halloween as a marketing tool for horror/thriller shows then a separate joss con at different time of year would work. best of both worlds

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Personally, I woud prefer a Whedon only con, and as someone else already mentioned, the name Hallowhedon fits so perfectly. :whistling:

For me Joss Whedon's shows inspire a passion in me that makes me want to meet the people that helped create those shows, be it actors, writers, crew, whatever. No other shows (although I watch and love many of them) make me feel this way.

Jason commented that a big pull for this event has been Buffy/Angel, but really - is this not because the only guests announced are Buffy/Angel guests? Maybe if a Firefly/Dollhouse/Dr. Horrible guest had been announced early on there would have been more of a mixed interest. Another point is that there is no one in the UK doing exclusive Buffy/Angel cons anymore and while many people have met most of the potential guests from these shows, new people are discovering Buffy all the time who will have missed the opportunity to meet these guests in a convention setting, and others, like me, will be happy to meet them over and over. So you will always have Buffy/Angel interest. Adding other Whedon shows to the mix, especially with so many of the actors crossing between the shows, will increase the potential ticket sales. But what many people want is guest announcements to base their purchase on. Of course I realise that announcing guests is based on booking those guests and it's not always possible to make early annoucements.

There is a case for mixing shows, and it is always interesting to meet actors even if you don't particularly like or know the show they have been in. I think it needs to be a careful mix though. As someone else said, Joss Whedon shows appeal to all age groups, Twilight on the other hand is mainly younger girls and a lot of fan gurl squee which tends to send the actors running back to the green room before you can say "I love you Edward" Not that I am against a bit of fan gurl squeeing, I have been known to do it myself on occasion, or that all Twilight fans fit that description but there is a time and a place for it, and I say that place is a Twilight specific convention, which Showmasters already appear to have covered.

(Disclaimer: the above was brought to you courtesy of TongueInCheek inc)

While many people enjoy both Buffy and Twilight, there is also some animosity between the two fandoms so I don't feel Buffy/Twilight would be a good mix. Twilight/Moonlight/Vampire Diaries or Buffy/Angel/True Blood would probably be better fits.

For me, if a Hallowhedon 2 is announced at this year's con, I will be first in line for gold tickets, I love Halloween and I can't think of a better way to spend it than with my fellow Whedonites. If a mixed show con is announced, I will likely take my pennies elsewhere. That's the crux right? You really don't care about all the waffle above :)

You should stick with Joss Whedons shows. There are plenty of guests that could appear and with four different shows to choose from already do we did another show. What if you can only get them from one show which will set some dissappoint, personnally I'm still hoping for firefly guests to be annouced for this show.

I'm attending this year because it's Hallo'whedon' - the Whedon bit is why I've bought a gold ticket, not the vampire theme or because it's halloween. I'm a fan of Joss Whedon and his work not 'Vampires' in general or supernatural genre shows.

If you want to do a Halloween convention of mixed vampire/horror/supernatural shows do go ahead, but count me out. I have absolutely no interest to meet actors especially from Twilight or any other vampire shows that I haven't seen yet.

I've bought a Gold ticket for this event when there was only Nick announced. This was because i knew we would be getting good guests from shows that i really enjoy. However, if this con had included other non-joss related shows i would have waiting till a lot closer to the time when more guests were announced, and might have meant i wouldn't be coming. I think we certainly have enough possible guests from the 4 shows this covers, especially when we are only getting 4-6 of the people from them. I wouldn't mind if the event was moved to another time in the year but would love this to stay just joss related. The guys a genius and is coming up with new stuff all the time and he has season 2 of dollhouse that could bring even more potential guests to our attention.

I've bought a Gold ticket for this event when there was only Nick announced. This was because i knew we would be getting good guests from shows that i really enjoy. However, if this con had included other non-joss related shows i would have waiting till a lot closer to the time when more guests were announced, and might have meant i wouldn't be coming. I think we certainly have enough possible guests from the 4 shows this covers, especially when we are only getting 4-6 of the people from them. I wouldn't mind if the event was moved to another time in the year but would love this to stay just joss related. The guys a genius and is coming up with new stuff all the time and he has season 2 of dollhouse that could bring even more potential guests to our attention.

I really like what Willow said about if you had to change the date. I think the issue is that SM/ME is worried about not having enough interest in coming years for this halloween con. i think if you wanted to do something diff for halloween i guess that's fine altho hallowhedon is an amazing title!, but i think if you do change the halloween event you should still have an all joss con even if it's not halloween weekend. i think there's a lot of available guests and a lot of potential goers that aren't planning on leaving this fandom anytime soon.

Just my opinion but I think you should stick with Whedon guests only. There are lots of guests to choose from and as said previously Twilight and True Blood have their own conventions. I am a fan of all the shows mentioned but strongly believe that for a convention you should stick with one theme. As a general rule people that are fans of Buffy and Angel also like Joss's other shows and even if they don't a lot of the guests are cross overs in all his shows anyway.

• Showmasters Admin

Jason, I don't think anyone missed your point. Everyone said that they didn't want to mix fanbases and that they want it to be Whedon only. Well, everyone before your post.

no you missed my point , people started to go of on twilight and thats were they missed the point i was just pointing out were they were missing my point , i did not miss any points at all Psychosis :WINCE:

jason

• Moderators

Not wishing to speak for everyone, but I think the majority don't want the Whedon shows to be mixed with ANYTHING.

Twilight was one of the main possibilities given, and is the one most well represented elsewhere, so that's likely why people are more vocal about that.

True Blood also has its own con, but only one and it hasn't been represented in any signing events.

Vampire Diaries might as well not even exist at this point in time.

And mixed horror guests would've been done before at a convention, but I recall it being said it's not viable.

Edited by DavidB

• Showmasters Admin

Also to say that Eternal Twilight 4 would realistically be the week before the potential Halloween 2010 convention right?

So I'm not sure how viable that would be for Twilight fans to do another one the week after.

david you are taking the poll a little to litral , we thought maybe the event event on Halloween may be more interesting to more people if we opened it up to a wider fan base , we have not planed anything at all it was just a thought , we have not worked on it or anything we just thought up something and kicked it out to everyone to chat about , most seem to want it to be a whedon event if it stays this way then thats the way it will go but we have nothing planed as yet , we will keep an eye on this and when we plan to book guest ready to anounce at this event we will bare it all in mind

thanks all

jason

I really like what Willow said about if you had to change the date. I think the issue is that SM/ME is worried about not having enough interest in coming years for this halloween con. i think if you wanted to do something diff for halloween i guess that's fine altho hallowhedon is an amazing title!, but i think if you do change the halloween event you should still have an all joss con even if it's not halloween weekend. i think there's a lot of available guests and a lot of potential goers that aren't planning on leaving this fandom anytime soon.

I totally agree with this! I think keeping an event just for Joss shows is a good idea cuz I know he has alot of die hard fans who would only go for guests that appear in his shows but that may mean changing the weekend I think having a mixed event over halloween weekend would be a great idea cuz you could have more of the other shows mentioned and general horror based guests, I think vampire diaries is a perfect example as its not big enough to run its own con but lots of people would like to meet the stars I'm sure mainly Ian Somerhalder! but I wouldnt feel there be a need to have twilight or true blood guests as they do have their own cons already.

I dont know if it would be too much hassle as I know just having a weekend event makes things easier, but have you considered having day tickets on sale that way if you did a mixed event you could theme each day too suit more people who dont wanna pay that much for the weekend?!

• Showmasters Admin

before focusing on events that will happen in 13 months, you should focus on those that will happen in 4-5 weeks.

we could not do that i am sorry , we have to do both mate we work on changing guest that drop out dew to what ever resion , there are many over the the years and then we also work on guest 1 month away 4 months away then over a year away and we also keep an eye on new shows , so we would soon be out of the game if we just looked at what we needed to do in the next 4 weeks

and we never sleep ever that way we keep looking for new guest 24 - 7

thats what we do here :WINCE:

people will worry about guest, all we can do is have lots of back ups and be ready if things go bad, most of the time we pull it of well , we do get more guests to event now than any other events in the world and the guests do keep coming back and we keep getting new guest to attend as well , so we will keep on at what we do and keep trying to improve

see you soon

jason :dance:

no you missed my point , people started to go of on twilight and thats were they missed the point i was just pointing out were they were missing my point , i did not miss any points at all Psychosis :D

jason

But nobody missed your point :confused:

You asked if we wanted it to be mixed. We all said no, and used Twilight as an example simply because it's the one that polarises opinions most.

:P

Everybody has answered your question.

More or less what I am thinking. I think it is possible that a pure Whedon event for halloween may run out of steam quicker than if it takes place at a different time of year. Purely because, unlike Buffy/Angel, I wouldn't consider Firefly or Dollhouse to be halloween based so you are slightly restricted in what you can do with the shows and the horror theme.

Moving a Joss Whedon only convention to a different date would lengthen the events potential life. There are a huge number of guests from all four (so far!) shows. Along with a quick rename, "Hail-Whedon", or "Just Joss" :P . This would then free up the next halloween event for a combination of different shows which would probably last longer then as well.

Incidentally this may be a biased viewpoint as I am attending this years event purely because it is based around Joss Whedons shows. Not because it is a halloween event.

EDIT: Oh and for that reason I haven't voted on the poll.

Edited by 1of2

I am attending cos it's a Whedon convention AND because of the time of year. Not necessarily because it's Halloween - although that actually was a factor. But mainly because I had other stuff earlier in the year and it was nice to have something to look forward to later in the year too.

I just bought a ticket because it was joss (mainly because it was Buffy and I never had a chance to go, but now I did). I just really thought it was cool that it was with Halloween, but it doesn't have to be for me.

So, for me: just a Joss-thing :D