When will new guests be announced?

sbuffy

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Moderators

Well 'better' is always going to be a matter of opinion for the attendee, so if the guests so far aren't to your liking it's unfortunate.

However it's a decent lineup so far I think. ALL the guests are decent ones (in my opinion obviously!) and I'll be meeting the majority so far.

Guests are announced when finalised, so there's not much point in asking.

Maybe there'll be better ones announced for you .. maybe not! If not, perhaps try one of the other events if you prefer those guests.

Got to jump in here, we were promised A - List guests, A - list to me are the big ones like Johnny Depp, Tom Cruise, Julia Roberts, I know a little too big, but to me those are A- list guests and they were promised. Shouldn't really promise guests you can't get. Leonard Nimoy a good actor as he is, is not A-List.

• Moderators

The "A-List" claim is always going to be debated as much as "bigger" and "better" claims.

It's simple hyperbole on the part of a business. Just like any organisation, they'll have good intentions, but there's always going to be limitations on plans!

I think most people know to take such claims lightly, and I don't particularly feel sorry for anyone who's disappointed that Tom Cruise isn't coming or whatever.

have to admit, every time I'm on the board index and it says last post in "latest guest announcemet..." I get hopeful that it's a new announcement :D but, to be fair, it is only March, there is 3 months til the show! B)

the thing is that guests can't always confirm their schedules so far in advance, isn't it better to get an annoucement closer when their schedule is more confirmed? cause really there is less chance of them having to cancel then cause of a scheduing conflict, if they are involved in alot of projects/currents tv shows/films ^_^

of course, though, people are wanting to book transport/hotels/time off work depending on announcements :D but I personally don't have this problem as I go regardless of guests, to see friends and hang out for the weekend at the show :smile: if there is a guest I want to meet, this time it's Amanda Tapping from Stargate :YAHOO:, it's a bonus!

surfy sah xx

Indeed we were promised a list guests but it seems we may nt be getting them after all, hopefully some more guests that are abit better will turn up near the time for example tyler mane hoping its been ages since he came back to the show and he said he would be interested just need showmasters to contact him would be cool if he did, but yeah its annoying when you see latest announcement im always hopeing that it be some one i would love to meet.

the thing is that guests can't always confirm their schedules so far in advance, isn't it better to get an annoucement closer when their schedule is more confirmed? cause really there is less chance of them having to cancel then cause of a scheduing conflict, if they are involved in alot of projects/currents tv shows/films :WAVE:

That's what I am thinking too. The "bigger" names often can confirm only very shortly in advance.

Just think of Christopher Lloyd at Comic Con. He may not be A-list for everyone, but he seemed pretty popular with the majority. :D

have to admit, every time I'm on the board index and it says last post in "latest guest announcemet..." I get hopeful that it's a new announcement :WAVE:

I know what you mean...then I see it's just cos someone is bumping up the old Nimoy or Tapping thread and I'll be all, "FFS!" It's an anti-climax.

Just think of Christopher Lloyd at Comic Con. He may not be A-list for everyone
I think there is some confusion here about what SM mean specifically by "A-list" - there's "A list" in terms of this forum and then there's "A list" in terms of the media in general.

Got to jump in here, we were promised A - List guests, A - list to me are the big ones like Johnny Depp, Tom Cruise, Julia Roberts, I know a little too big, but to me those are A- list guests and they were promised. Shouldn't really promise guests you can't get. Leonard Nimoy a good actor as he is, is not A-List.

We've had this talk before on the forum, and to be honest I agree with you about what constitutes A List generally. But I think it's quite clear that what SM meant was "A List in the context of the sort of guests who would realistically do an event like this". In that context, Christopher Lloyd is a good example of an A List guest, as in Tapping, as is Nimoy. Did you ever really think that they meant Johnny Depp when they said A List?

As for "when will we get new guests?" The same old reply applies that has been posted to every thread like this since the dawn of time. "When they get confirmed".

I think it's quite clear that what SM meant was "A List in the context of the sort of guests who would realistically do an event like this". In that context, Christopher Lloyd is a good example of an A List guest, as in Tapping, as is Nimoy. Did you ever really think that they meant Johnny Depp when they said A List?
I dont think SM actually made clear what they meant by A list so it's easy for people to make up their own minds. The transalation you used , "A list in the context of who is realistic to do an event like this" kinda contradicts the whole notion of A list in my eyes and defeats the purpose of making the announcment "now we have A list opportunities" cos well, didn't they always?

Although I suspect you're probably right, they probably did mean A list in the context of cons...I'll believe SM can give us the A list proper (the Toms, Georges, Brads, Johnnys etc) when I see it.

Edited by nicky

Yep. I don't think anyone realistically thought Angelina would be knocking about at CM15. My read of what Jason said was "we're going to do our best to get even bigger guests". I agree with you about the definition of "A List" - to me, A-List is Harrison Ford, for example. But, in the context of "guests that I can conceivably expect to attend a signing event", I'd say for example Kurt Russell is possible - a tough get, but possible. So in that context Kurt Russell is A List. Harrison Ford is, unfortunately, never going to do an event like this. But if Kurt Russell rocked up, I'd be more than happy with us calling him A List.

{...} defeats the purpose of making the announcment "now we have A list opportunities" cos well, didn't they always?

One thing I will say is that the venue you have, and the facilities you can offer, have an effect on two things : - a) how many attendees you can support (and by extension, how much you can pay a guest, allowing you to target more expensive guests) and b ) some guests are going to be more demanding than others. So, Mr Plissken might say : -

"OK Jason. I'll do it, but here's what I want : -

* A couple of little fellas on security to handle any odd characters who are knocking about

* I don't want random people screaming out "Oi Plissken you ****ing tw@t" every five minutes (cf. The Billy Boyd incident)

* I want my own eating area, with my own chef, and I want a gourmet rack of ribs for lunch (fresh mind, none of this frozen muck)

* I want a direct line from desk to Hotel Suite. I want to do a one-armed vault over my signing desk followed by a forward roll directly into the back of a Mercedes, and boom! I'm on my way to my after eight sitting on the pillow."

Now, with all due respect to the John Lewis canteen (and I really mean that, I really liked that little restaurant, and I'm going to miss it), I can't see Kurt Russell sitting down in there with Goldie, Kate, and Oliver to have a quick spinach tartlet. Neither can I see him taking 10 minutes out to have a wander around Dolcis to see what they have in the way of leather boots.

Edited by MikeDonovan

I never heard of "The Billy Boyd incident" (.com), sounds like it was similar to "The Shatner incident" . You're right about the deamnds though, even Patrick Stewart's and Bruce Campbell's were kindy picky. I'd imagine the A lists would even want their own green room.

Edited by nicky

What did PS and BC ask for ?

BC wouldnt sign a long list of certain things (eg. FVSJ comics), wouldnt do a talk after he said he would, no pics, no quotes.

PS wouldnt write anything but his name and only where he wanted to put it, no handshakes, no dedications, no pics and wouldnt sign for more than 4 hrs. (or was it 1000 sigs?). Oh and he charged £20 for the talk (they're always free).

Edited by nicky

Yes lol I was going to ask that :)

I never heard of "The Billy Boyd incident" (.com), sounds like it was similar to "The Shatner incident" .

well, I didn't witness it, but apparently there were a group of guys hanging around yelling out "OI, PIPPIN YOU SLAG" etc. Once might have been funny, in a way, but from what I heard it was an ongoing thing...

no handshakes

He shook my hand - I think he was impressed I had an RSC programme with me :)

He shook my hand - I think he was impressed I had an RSC programme with me :)
What does thou say if I were lavished in Shakespeare garb and speaketh in Shakespearian prose? Wouldst thy Patrick liketh me then? For I would be a much fairer beauty next to sci-fi mortals. Edited by nicky

BC wouldnt sign a long list of certain things (eg. FVSJ comics), wouldnt do a talk after he said he would, no pics, no quotes.

PS wouldnt write anything but his name and only where he wanted to put it, no handshakes, no dedications, no pics and wouldnt sign for more than 4 hrs. (or was it 1000 sigs?). Oh and he charged £20 for the talk (they're always free).

in fairness to Bruce, the things he said he wouldnt sign had valid reasons, like the comics were printed using his likeness without his permission.

the pics thing i just assumed was SM's choice due to how busy he was...

i know it said no quotes but he put a quote on my friends Xena box set without her asking him to do so and he dated my dvd after he said it was the 1st one he had signed.

hadnt heard he cancelled the talk tho, any ideas why?

i know it said no quotes but he put a quote on my friends Xena box set without her asking him to do so and he dated my dvd after he said it was the 1st one he had signed.

He wrote stuff (not quotes, msgs) on my Darkman and Escape From LA posters too, I guess he doesnt sign many of them and it was refreshing for him. I'm not sure but I was told at the booth Bruce just wanted to ease his way into the event and not be SM's "puppet" so to speak - he didnt wanna be controlled as he'd had some bad experinces with some organisers previously.

He wrote stuff (not quotes, msgs) on my Darkman and Escape From LA posters too, I guess he doesnt sign many of them and it was refreshing for him. I'm not sure but I was told at the booth Bruce just wanted to ease his way into the event and not be SM's "puppet" so to speak - he didnt wanna be controlled as he'd had some bad experinces with some organisers previously.

when i asked one guy at the head of his que he did say that he had had bad con experiences in the past and that they were going above and beyond to make this experience as refreshing as possible so he would be more inclinded to come back

If anyone for one second thought the kind of A-list celebrities would be the likes of Johnny Depp, Jennifer Aniston etc, then I feel sorry for them.

Nimoy is as A-list as they come in these kind of conventions. Really people...

when i asked one guy at the head of his que he did say that he had had bad con experiences in the past and that they were going above and beyond to make this experience as refreshing as possible so he would be more inclinded to come back

Yeah, he just didnt wanna do too much too soon and wanted to not be taken advantage of I guess.

Yeah, he just didnt wanna do too much too soon and wanted to not be taken advantage of I guess.

Which is fair enough, still, he hasnt come back yet has he....? :D

We've had this talk before on the forum, and to be honest I agree with you about what constitutes A List generally. But I think it's quite clear that what SM meant was "A List in the context of the sort of guests who would realistically do an event like this". In that context, Christopher Lloyd is a good example of an A List guest, as in Tapping, as is Nimoy. Did you ever really think that they meant Johnny Depp when they said A List?

I think Johnny Depp, Tom Cruise are A-LIST guests and , NO, I never thought SM would get them, but those are A-LIST guests.