• Law and order
    • Primeval
    • CHARMED
    • Spooks
    • Battlestar Galactica
    • Being Human (on BBC3 Sundays plug)
  2. 2. section 2

• Star Trek
    • Crime Con NCIS/CSI's/and another show ?
    • Smallville
    • Transformers
    • Grey's Anatomy
    • Skins
    • Prison Break
    • Without a trace
    • TrueBlood
    • Hot Man Con ie fit guys from TV & Film
    • Fit Girl Con ie hot girls from TV & Film
  3. 3. section 3

• Supernatural
    • James Bond
    • Ugly Betty
    • Dexter
    • House MD
    • Aliens trilogy
    • Burn Notice
    • Horror con all things Horror related
    • Bonekickers
    • Life on mars / Ashes to Ashes
    • LORD OF THE RINGS

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Transformers, stars are A-listers so unlikely :D)
I think that is Transformers in general ie the comics, cartoons etc too.

Thats what i based my vote on, Peter Cullen would be great, but also other characters and artists from the comics, even the recent IDW run would be fantastic!! :o

I just noticed the vacant spot on the massive events page has been taken by a con for a new tv show called TRU BLOOD

whats that all about?

never heard of it

surely there must have been other better ideas for that last spot,maybe im not "with it" but ive never heard anything about this show anywhere and i buy a lot of mags and own a pc

I just noticed the vacant spot on the massive events page has been taken by a con for a new tv show called TRU BLOOD

whats that all about?

never heard of it

surely there must have been other better ideas for that last spot,maybe im not "with it" but ive never heard anything about this show anywhere and i buy a lot of mags and own a pc

It's a new seris based on the Sookie Stackhouse books. I am a huge fan of the books and it wasn't untill I saw the post about the new con.

It's a new seris based on the Sookie Stackhouse books. I am a huge fan of the books and it wasn't untill I saw the post about the new con.

Ive had a look about what True Blood is about.

Its plot involves a story about a young female who falls for a moody broody vampire.Wow.The writers must be applauded for such an original concept.

That Joss Whedon has been wasting his time with that Firefly and that DollHouse rubbish...he wants to get writing one of those!

Hell have to be quick mind or else someone will get in there before him.

• Moderators

Considering it's not been on UK tv yet, perhaps you could give it a chance and watch it? Then make judgements about it?

Yes, it sounds very familiar on paper, but the show is a lot different in tone and style to Buffy.

Considering it's not been on UK tv yet, perhaps you could give it a chance and watch it? Then make judgements about it?

Yes, it sounds very familiar on paper, but the show is a lot different in tone and style to Buffy.

I dunno after all these years im vampired out.

Ive had a look at the promos but im not seeing anything new.

Is there anything left to do with Vampires?

Maybe they could make them scary again.

• Showmasters Admin

True Blood is an HBO series meaning that is un-rated, so there are a lot of thngs they can do with vampires that Joss Whedon could never do on BtVS/Angel.

But one of the main differences is that in the TB world, vampires have "come out of the coffin" and the whole world knows they exist because they admitted their existence to the world. So the storyline in set in a world where people know what they are, and what they drink, and there are prejudices etc. surrounding them, but the vampires are sort of trying to assimilate (spelling anyone?) into the human world - kind of. There are those who are anti-vampire, then there are those who are very pro-vampire (fangbangers) and those that don't want to get involved. This world that was created where people know about vampires is very different to any other vampire series/book that I have read, so I found it refreshing to see a new take on the vampire lifestyles, :-D

The series is a lot darker in tone to Buffy, and there are a lot more grey areas with the vampires.

I was a Buffy fan, but that doesn't mean I'm never going to give any other vampire series a shot just because I don't think there's anything "new" - there's always something new that can grab you, be it the characters, a new plot idea, or something.

I would watch it first before you go stating that you can't do anything "new" with vampires.

SJ

xox

So the storyline in set in a world where people know what they are, and what they drink, and there are prejudices etc. surrounding them, but the vampires are sort of trying to assimilate (spelling anyone?) into the human world - kind of. There are those who are anti-vampire, then there are those who are very pro-vampire (fangbangers) and those that don't want to get involved.

Sounds like a Vampire ALIEN NATION.

If you like it though thats great.

I just think that its a shame that one of the best vampire movies if not one of the best movies of the year LET THE RIGHT ONE IN gets ignored whilst Twilight and this TRue Blood are getting all the props.

If you are unaware of the recent Vampire flick LET THE RIGHT ONE IN here is the trailer.

• Moderators

I'm well aware of the movie, and I agree that it was fantastic.

However, it's not the kinda movie that would be getting a convention. And I'd be very surprised if it was represented at a signing event either.

Quality movies don't always translate in a suitable way for events unfortunately.

I'm well aware of the movie, and I agree that it was fantastic.

However, it's not the kinda movie that would be getting a convention. And I'd be very surprised if it was represented at a signing event either.

Quality movies don't always translate in a suitable way for events unfortunately.

Nah i meant ignored in general by the viewing public not by SM.

I didnt mean have the cast as guests.I wouldnt say no to to the 2 leads but they are a bit underground for a big show.

• Moderators

Yeah, I suppose that's true. I think unfortunately the more mainstream accessible sequels/remakes are always going to be the ones that get the wider attention, along with those ones that just have recognisible names in.

Personally I'm beyond bored of that, and into more foreign stuff these days. Just a shame things have to be "remade" before more people bother with them.

• Showmasters Admin

I'm not sure that just one movie is enough to bring in the crowds for a convention.

True Blood has got 9 books so far, the first season is out on DVD in the states, Anna Paquin won the golden globe for her performance in this series, and the second series is starting in the US soon. It's the sort of the thing that has built up fans and can continue to build up fans.

Twilight on the other hand has a huge following from the books (4, 5 including Midnight Sun), and while only one movie has so far been made they are well on their way to releasing the second, and filming the third.

Both of which have fan-bases that will attract people to conventions.

A film that a handful of people have heard of is not really going to bring in fans for an event.

SJ

xox

Ok, clearly I spent too long typing that since there's been like 3 posts since the one I was replying to!

Oh well,

SJ

x

Personally I'm beyond bored of that, and into more foreign stuff these days.

Me too

Im sure LTROI will be remade as will Martyrs.

All the quality stuff particularly horror is foreign nowadays.

Edited by Phantom

I really did love the books and would like to see the seris but I heard they don't really follow close to the plots of the books.

Is there any news of it coming to The UK?

I would like a Being Human con or Merlin I think I am reapeating my self but if it's worht saying:)

• Showmasters Admin

I really did love the books and would like to see the seris but I heard they don't really follow close to the plots of the books.

Is there any news of it coming to The UK?

I would like a Being Human con or Merlin I think I am reapeating my self but if it's worht saying:)

Lol... it follows the books storylines, everything that happens in the books happens in the series... HOWEVER they have introduced new storylines to the series that didn't exist in the books so that if you ahve read the books you can still enjoy it and not know what is coming next!! Some bits have been tweaked here and there, but it is pretty much the same storyline. :)

Spoiler, highlight to read:

For example if you have read the books then you will know Tara does not appear until later but she is in the series with her own storyline. Similarly Lafayette has a more major role in the opening series. And if you have read the books you will see a lot of things going on in the background relating to the second book and the fellowship of the sun on TV, and things like that. They relate a lot of things to the future books from the first series which I like. :)

In terms of it ocming to the UK the series is having its UK premiere at the Edinburgh Film Festival (June 23rd I think) and airing the first two episodes. It will then be aired on FX in July.

SJ

xox

did some one say ANNA PAQUIN? :WINCE:

now see I would LOVE to meet her, but for her role in X-Men :lol: - I've never seen Tru Blood and the only reason I'd watch it would be to see Anna in a tv series :P

tbh there's too much vampire stuff out there for me! I used to watch Buffy&Angel but I'm very selective about which autos I pick up from those series, think I only have Tony Head and Eliza Dushku :WINCE: now there is Twilight and this Tru Blood is a Vampire thing hmmmm and several vampire movies.

in all honesty I am just biased and admit it!!!!!! :chair: been going to SG cons for years and this year, I am attending BTL :WINCE: I think I'm just gutted that of ALL the cons out there, no others interest me :P but then my love (alongside SG1&SGA) are the crime shows: CSIs, Bones, NCIS, Cold Case :D I'm just disappointed that another new con has been announced and it's one that doesn't have many votes - Crime Con is one of the most popular choices along with Harry Potter and Supernatural (which has been done) yet Tru Blood and Being Human have less than 20 votes each atm :( I know Twilight was in a simular position last year and it has sold out and been perhaps the most popular event/con phenonomum (sp) since LOTR and I am of course very happy for SM because this has enabled them to grow and put on more events and, as said in another thread, it has greatly expanded the event and con scene, adding many many more fans, which can only be a good thing :clap: and there are other choices I would attend cons for too, Grey's Anatomy, House, Trek, Wars - with the right guests :D so I'm not ONLY interested in a Crime Con hmmm

anyways, yeah, I hope these new cons will go well - espesh as maybe it will be like the Stargate Atlantis guests at LFaCC with the Tru Blood thing - but I'm still hoping one day to atleast have some Crime guests to a signing event, not even necessarilly at a full weekend con! :lol:

surfy sah xx

I would love a Merlin Con where you can buy little tickets on line and you can attend the talks, and get all the autographs and can talk to the stars not just a 5 second hi,bye ...and I have put far too much thought into this. It's my Merlin obession.