New Event Announcement!

slaycandy

Smeggin' heck - five guests right away out of the gate!

Limited to 500 as well.

And very competitively priced!

Good luck to all and i hope it does better than the first one

Im hoping that the ? COMING SOON con is a horror one.

Its needed.

Smeggin' heck - five guests right away out of the gate!

Limited to 500 as well.

And very competitively priced!

Good luck to all and i hope it does better than the first one

Im hoping that the ? COMING SOON con is a horror one.

Its needed.

I'm hoping that the coming soon event is a Crime convention. We don't seem to have many of these guests at other events. Role on a C.S.I. event!

I'm hoping that the coming soon event is a Crime convention. We don't seem to have many of these guests at other events. Role on a C.S.I. event!

Well im sure from a dealers point of view thatd be a disaster and its a small market for people who watch crime shows that would actually attend a con.The majority of folk who watch CSI etc wouldnt dream of attending a con whereas horror folk cant get( and dont )get enough in this country.

Times are tough for dealers and theyd make more out of horror folk who are usually at the high end of buying merchandise at shows.

Horror fans like to spend in my experiance and spend a lot as theres a lot more stuff out there.I know CSI fans dont JUST like CSI but horror is the safer bet.

The Evidence -

The Silents

Universal Horror

60s horror

Hammer

the 70s classics

the 80s golden age

Italian Horror

J Horror and now the wave of torture horror and the nutured remakes.

Thats a lot of different fans ready to spend,a whole wide area for potential guests and i never understand why these events stick to tv shows when horror is a very large world to explore.

Example - Lost is back on tv tommorow and i know people who qued for Hurley at GMEX 1 who

a)dont care anymore

or

b)didnt know it was back

Such is the fickle world of the tv show viewer,where once sat Lost magazine in my local newsagents now sits the Heroes mag and many see Heroes going the same way another season from now to be replaced by the next big thing.

Sure the Lost con may have sold a few tickets but these shows cannot compete with a whole GENRE and thats why a horror show is an odd omission.

500 tickets for a Red Dwarf con?.................id eat my own face if a well publisized,guest filled horror show didnt pull in at least double.

Edited by vintageSW77

Well im sure from a dealers point of view thatd be a disaster and its a small market for people who watch crime shows that would actually attend a con.The majority of folk who watch CSI etc wouldnt dream of attending a con whereas horror folk cant get( and dont )get enough in this country.

Times are tough for dealers and theyd make more out of horror folk who are usually at the high end of buying merchandise at shows.

Horror fans like to spend in my experiance and spend a lot as theres a lot more stuff out there.I know CSI fans dont JUST like CSI but horror is the safer bet.

The Evidence -

The Silents

Universal Horror

60s horror

Hammer

the 70s classics

the 80s golden age

Italian Horror

J Horror and now the wave of torture horror and the nutured remakes.

Thats a lot of different fans ready to spend,a whole wide area for potential guests and i never understand why these events stick to tv shows when horror is a very large world to explore.

Example - Lost is back on tv tommorow and i know people who qued for Hurley at GMEX 1 who

a)dont care anymore

or

b)didnt know it was back

Such is the fickle world of the tv show viewer,where once sat Lost magazine in my local newsagents now sits the Heroes mag and many see Heroes going the same way another season from now to be replaced by the next big thing.

Sure the Lost con may have sold a few tickets but these shows cannot compete with a whole GENRE and thats why a horror show is an odd omission.

500 tickets for a Red Dwarf con?.................id eat my own face if a well publisized,guest filled horror show didnt pull in at least double.

I can't stand horror films but do like lots of other shows not just C.S.I.

If horror was that popular it would have gained more votes in that last poll that was done by Massive Events.

• Moderators

This is more of a polite suggestion than a 'you've broken the rules, cut it out' deal but if people are interested in a Horror event or a Crime event etc, can I suggest the best way to support these is to simply post in topics about them?

The negativity about cons that are announced isn't what we want on here. We don't want 'why are you doing this? horror would be better!' or 'does this mean a Crime one isn't happening?' etc.

Continue to support your own personal interests in a positive manner, rather than turning it into negativity about things other people like. Obviously Massive Events aren't going to suddenly turn round and say "oh ok, we'll cancel this and do horror instead!" as it's never that simple. I know of one very recent Horror euro-con that didn't do very well at all. Sometimes just because things work elsewhere (i.e. America) it doesn't guarantee a success here.

Anyway like I said there are other topics that exist about this stuff, so let's put an end to it here.

Fair enough but i wasnt being negative about any show.....i like to watch adverts with a bit of Lost inbetween myself.

Im not saying horror is better than any tv show im just saying its a wider audience as its a genre as opposed to a single show and would attract more folk regardless of what happened at some euro con....the audience is there were just not being catered for.

I was also just pondering the next addition e.g the COMING SOON blank square PLUS adding my twopenneth that a CSI show wouldnt be a good idea because the majority of folk who watch are just regular tv viewers and not convention goers.....they watch it enjoy it and thats as far as it goes.

As for putting my opinion elswhere regarding Horror whats the point as ,there is only the small faithful who contribute and were not getting anywhere and furthermore not all uk horror fans who attend shows visit this forum.

There are 3 threads regarding this new event scattered on the forum and none by name so seeing it is about a future event im just putting in my monthly request for something it now appears we will never get in one of them.

Maybe ill make up a placard for the next SM shows and enlist.

I have my hand ready for slapping my forehead come the day that the final announcment is made and that COMING SOON box is filled and thats what my post was about.

That little spare square...its like the monolith in 2001 or that dalek prison at the end of Doctor Who series 2.

What is in there?

Hmmm.

And this is not a critisizm Reddragon but im surprised you dont like Horror being a WHO fan as a lot of Tom Baker era episodes riffed on horror e.g Brain Of Morbeius,Pyramids Of Mars and Horrorof Fang Rock(theres a clue in the title) to name just 3 and what of Blink and the werewolf episode from the Tennant era to name a more recent 2 ?

Edited by vintageSW77

I have my hand ready for slapping my forehead come the day that the final announcment is made and that COMING SOON box is filled and thats what my post was about.

That little spare square...its like the monolith in 2001 or that dalek prison at the end of Doctor Who series 2.

What is in there?

Hmmm.

Not a horror con I bet (!) All those other events are small TV show ones and I dont think a horror one would fit in.

If horror was that popular it would have gained more votes in that last poll that was done by Massive Events.
That's a good question really. I think it's cos horror and film fans are generally in the older age bracket as the genre goes back quite far time-wise and older people are vastly out-numbered by the young on the internet.

It's generally mostly the younger people who like TV shows as they're more "hot-right-now" and they spend more time online.

bringing the topic back to red dwarf

yay i am seriously tempted by this even if i have meet the guest before the tickets are well priced

i have but one suggestion

please bring the cat then it be perfect

*puppy eyes* please

yay i am seriously tempted by this even if i have meet the guest before the tickets are well priced

*puppy eyes* please

i would love it if cat was there. I will try to get to it but i dont think ill be there saturday, ill be there sunday though for definate. I dont think ill be able to get two weekends off in a row..... :D but theres no way im missing it :poki:

Well as an example i never voted and to second Nicks comment the majority of people on here are into tv so its a forgone conclusion.

I may have piped on about this but i dont see the maths.

Am i missing something is a tv show off air for 10 or so years bigger than the horror genre?

• Moderators

I would say that this is one of those conventions that is being run because the organisers are big fans of the show, rather than it being chosen for being a huge money maker.

I think it's good timing with the show coming back, and it's worth giving it another shot.

I wouldn't really use it as a comparison to other events or potential events to be honest.

*puppy eyes* please

It's great to see SM/ME have another attempt at this one, a great guest list already and hopefully the Danny (the cat) as he did sign up for the first time round. :D

I think it's good timing with the show coming back, and it's worth giving it another shot.

Ah i never knew it was coming back

Apologies.

The successful SF sitcom Red Dwarf is to return to British TV screens after a ten-year hiatus. The original series aired eight seasons and 52 episodes from 1988 to 1999, becoming BBC-2's longest-running sitcom (a record still held to this day) and winning audiences of over 8 million in its heyday, sometimes demolishing the opposition on the mainstream channels of BBC-1 and ITV. After Doctor Who, it is the most successful SF show produced by the BBC in terms of revenue generated and international sales, with enormous success on both VHS and DVD. There was even a pilot produced for an American version of the series in 1993, but this didn't lead to an ongoing series.

The premise has the five-mile-long mining ship Red Dwarf on an extended tour of the Solar system, conducting mining operations on several moons of the outer gas giants, when a lethal radiation leak wipes out the entire crew, with the sole exception of Third Technician Dave Lister, who has been sentenced to a disciplinary spell in stasis after smuggling a pet cat on board through quarantine. To avoid exposing other humans to the danger, the ship's AI, Holly (IQ 6000), takes it out of the Solar system and into deep space. Once the radiation has died down to a safe background level he releases Lister from stasis. Unfortunately, this takes three million years. Lister finds himself alone in a remote part of the Galaxy, possibly the last human alive, with only a senile computer for company, so Holly resurrects Lister's direct superior officer, Second Technician Arnold Judas Rimmer, as a hologram to 'keep him sane'. They also discover that thanks to the radiation leak, Lister's cats' descendants have evolved into a humanoid form and left the ship, leaving behind only one representative. Lister, Rimmer, Holly and Cat take the Red Dwarf back to Earth, eventually being joined by a robotic janitor named Kryten. Along the way they have various comic adventures.

The series was created by Rob Grant and Doug Naylor, who co-scripted the first six seasons. The series' success was put down to its everyman hero, Dave Lister, who has zero knowledge of astronomy or physics, and the relationship between him and the impossibly arrogant and incompetent Rimmer. Also, the show utilised quite complex SF ideas such as quantum theory and parallel universes to carry forward its comedic plots, rather than simply laughing at the genre. After the sixth season aired in 1993, Rob Grant decided to leave to pursue a solo writing career. There was also a lengthy hiatus brought about by the cast pursuing other projects. When it returned for its final two seasons in 1997-99 it was noticeably bigger-budget and slicker, but the writing was definitely a lot weaker and relied on already-existing storylines, characters and injokes rather than creating new material. Despite this the series achieved record audience figures for its final season.

Doug Naylor then chose to spend the next several years trying to find backing for a movie version of the series, coming close to a deal several times, but each time being disappointed. He officially abandoned the project last year and reopened negotiations with the BBC for the series to return. With the enormous success of the resurrected Doctor Who and the huge DVD sales of the series (Red Dwarf has sold more DVDs than any other British comedy series bar only The Office), he assumed that the BBC would be interested in a new series, but was surprised when the network told him that the show was "Too commercial," for them to consider at the time.

However, whilst the BBC itself was not interested in the show returning to its original home on BBC-2, BBC Worldwide, the commercial arm of the organisation, agreed to co-fund a revival of the series along with the Freeview channel UKTV. After some discussion, it was agreed to fund four new half-hour shows. The first will be a documentary about how the show has survived and its popularity has grown during the decade-long hiatus. The second and third will be 30-minute new episodes with the return of the full cast, and the fourth will be a clip show 'with a difference'. The four episodes are in production now and are expected to be aired some time in 2009 on UKTV's affiliated channel Dave.