SGA Cancelled, Universe greenlit

zebredy

So what do people think about the news that season 5 of atlantis will be its last season as MGM have decided to cancel it and do straight to DVD movies...

Not to sure about this, I don't know what to think really.

I mean I like Atlantis but was always a bigger fan of SG-1, plus I havn't watched all the epsiodes of SGA yet, never been drawn to it in the same way I was with SG-1...

To many character changes maybe? That might be part of it, I mean whats the point of gettting into it and getting to know characters who might not be there next week, well thats my tupence worth?

So whos upset and who thinks this is good idea?

:D

LLAP ;)

Edited by zebredy

I'm kind of sad because I do enjoy Atlantis but I can see why they'd want to cancel it. I think they're running out of ideas, especially because they have to do something that SG-1 haven't already done. I wouldn't mind another series but wasn't Jason Momoa (Ronon) planning to leave at the end of this season anyway? And Torri decided not to come back. And Beckett was written out (sort of).

They're planning a film next year which hopefully will be good.

I think I was more sad that SG-1 got cancelled than Atlantis. With SG-1 everything was all new but with Atlantis they've only really got the Wraith to fight against and you only ever really see Michael these days...

I'm kind of sad because I do enjoy Atlantis but I can see why they'd want to cancel it. I think they're running out of ideas, especially because they have to do something that SG-1 haven't already done. I wouldn't mind another series but wasn't Jason Momoa (Ronon) planning to leave at the end of this season anyway? And Torri decided not to come back. And Beckett was written out (sort of).

They're planning a film next year which hopefully will be good.

I think I was more sad that SG-1 got cancelled than Atlantis. With SG-1 everything was all new but with Atlantis they've only really got the Wraith to fight against and you only ever really see Michael these days...

I was sad and annoyed that SG-1 was cancelled, but now hearing about Atlantis, I think it's worse (Even though I'm a bigger fan of SG-1) as it's now 2 Stargate shows to end. I like that they're wanting to continue the stories of SG-1 and Atlantis with movies, but I'd much prefer the series to continue as it is where we will get more to watch. I hope they're not ending Atlantis so they can start Stargate Universe because I'd rather keep Atlantis. I suppose the American Sci-Fi channel are to blame again for this cancellation? :D:unsure:

Apparently it's more MGM than SCI-Fi that cancelled Atlantis. There has to be something to replace it with because I don't think Sci-fi has that many viewers. I could be wrong.

Oh well it was Sci-Fi last time so assumed it was their fault again. Not liking this news at all :wub:

• Moderators

Well Universe has been greenlit now ..

Proving that you can't keep a good franchise down -- at least not for more than a day or so -- the SCI FI Channel has green-lit production on Stargate Universe, the third live-action television series, according to The Hollywood Reporter.

The official press release from MGM and SCI FI is expected later today.

Universe will have a 2-hour premiere in 2009, and land in a regular time slot next summer -- meaning there will not be a production gap between the second and third Stargate television series.

The trade magazine also reported that the show will be set on board a previously unmanned ship called the Destiny, and will involve more space-based action than its predecessors. "Unable to return to Earth, the crew must fend for themselves aboard the ship, which has a preprogrammed mission taking them to the far reaches of the universe," the magazine said.

The producers are reportedly looking to cast a known actor for one of the leading roles, and fresh faces to round out the cast. This would follow the pattern of SG-1, which earned a lot of marketability from leading man Richard Dean Anderson when it premiered in 1997, rather than the largely unknown cast of Atlantis.

The new series will also be aimed at a slightly younger audience, SCI FI president Dave Howe said.

"This is an opportunity to reinvent this franchise and make it relevant to a new generation," he said. "We really don't want to be more of the same. It's going to build clearly off the existing franchise but with a cast that gives it a younger vibe."

"In Universe, we plan to keep those elements that have made the franchise a success, such as adventure and humor, while breaking new ground in the relationships between mostly young and desperate explorers, thrust together and far from home," series co-creators Brad Wright and Robert C. Cooper said. "Above all, we believe the Stargate itself remains an enduring icon with infinite potential as a jumping-off point for telling stories."

Wright and Cooper will also executive produce. The two created Stargate Atlantis, which will end its TV run in January (story). An Atlantis movie will also air later in 2009 on SCI FI -- hopefully the first of many.

There is more news to come, so stick with GateWorld for breaking news on Stargate Universe later today!

Couldn't they have not greenlit Universe and let us keep Atlantis for another year? lol

I agree, they managed to keep SG-1 and Atlantis running together for 4 years was it? Why can't they do the same here? :YAHOO:

SG-1 managed 10 years. Atlantis is only on 5. If they want to cancel it then they shouldn't have Universe. It's like they can only cope with one Stargate and always want the newer one. I guess all we can do is hope the Atlantis film(s?) works.

Apparently the film is to deal with the cliffhanger that they'll give us as the finale. Though I have no idea what that's going to be.

• Moderators

I actually hate the idea of a show ending on a cliffhanger and forcing you to watch a movie after.

It's just a little annoying .. like if Lost finished on a cliffhanger and only gave answers on a following movie, I'd probably want to kill people :smile:

I think fans would watch the movies anyway to be honest.

• Moderators

Well that's not an issue, as they deliberately made an end date so they'd never do that to me :(

I just find the 'we'll give you answers in the movie!' tactic a little desperate. Wrap the series up in the episodes, and use a movie for something different.

And you know the amount of stuff I watch. I've had plenty of shows die without getting answers :smile:

yeah cos I watch them too! I guess they have the movie planned and just want to make sure people watch it. Though it does suggest this is going to be a big finale - maybe the possible destruction of Atlantis? Or the Wraith take over and gate to Earth somehow? lol

i gave up on Atlantis half way through season 3.

the next season with Robert Picardo < no Disrespect to the actor> in charge does not intrest me at all so i'm GLAD it's coming to an end.

i like the idea of dvd movies as long as the are stand alone stories like Continuum

Stargate Universe scares me it sounds too much like Star Trek Voyager

Well that's not an issue, as they deliberately made an end date so they'd never do that to me :P

I just find the 'we'll give you answers in the movie!' tactic a little desperate. Wrap the series up in the episodes, and use a movie for something different.

And you know the amount of stuff I watch. I've had plenty of shows die without getting answers :chair:

Maybe they just want to finish the season as they'd planned (at a cliffhanger as they always do) and were planning on continuing that story in Season 6 which now isn't going to happen, so they'll finsih it off in a movie which should be even better :P I'd rather it just continue as a series though :(

Very glum - but I guess that they did well to get to 5 seasons by US TV standards. We will miss it terribly - but we will remain the 'puddlejumpers' in honour of a great series.

It's been great meeting them all over the years - Joe, Torri, Jason, Rachel, Jewel, Paul Mc and David N. The photoshoot in Manchester with Jason was a blast and is probably one of the best we've got on the wall.

Sob sob - let's hope the next incarnation lives up to SG1 and Atlantis !

oh, i'm not happy about this at all, this Universe series sounds like a bad idea, and i love atlantis, what were they thinking? :blush:

If there has to be another spin off, i'd rather it was more of an Earth based show, getting deeper into mythology and history.

Well Universe has been greenlit now ..

Proving that you can't keep a good franchise down -- at least not for more than a day or so -- the SCI FI Channel has green-lit production on Stargate Universe, the third live-action television series, according to The Hollywood Reporter.

The official press release from MGM and SCI FI is expected later today.

Universe will have a 2-hour premiere in 2009, and land in a regular time slot next summer -- meaning there will not be a production gap between the second and third Stargate television series.

The trade magazine also reported that the show will be set on board a previously unmanned ship called the Destiny, and will involve more space-based action than its predecessors. "Unable to return to Earth, the crew must fend for themselves aboard the ship, which has a preprogrammed mission taking them to the far reaches of the universe," the magazine said.

The producers are reportedly looking to cast a known actor for one of the leading roles, and fresh faces to round out the cast. This would follow the pattern of SG-1, which earned a lot of marketability from leading man Richard Dean Anderson when it premiered in 1997, rather than the largely unknown cast of Atlantis.

The new series will also be aimed at a slightly younger audience, SCI FI president Dave Howe said.

"This is an opportunity to reinvent this franchise and make it relevant to a new generation," he said. "We really don't want to be more of the same. It's going to build clearly off the existing franchise but with a cast that gives it a younger vibe."

"In Universe, we plan to keep those elements that have made the franchise a success, such as adventure and humor, while breaking new ground in the relationships between mostly young and desperate explorers, thrust together and far from home," series co-creators Brad Wright and Robert C. Cooper said. "Above all, we believe the Stargate itself remains an enduring icon with infinite potential as a jumping-off point for telling stories."

Wright and Cooper will also executive produce. The two created Stargate Atlantis, which will end its TV run in January (story). An Atlantis movie will also air later in 2009 on SCI FI -- hopefully the first of many.

There is more news to come, so stick with GateWorld for breaking news on Stargate Universe later today!

Ok why does a show with the Star Trek enterprise (young actors) and Voyager (far from home lost in space) mixed spring to mind here.

This all sounds like stuff that has been done before (though granted its really hard to come up with a very new idea these days)

So long as they have someone who sounds a lot more mature then (whats his name) the guy who plays John Sheppard from Atlantis, with his kid like voice, onboard, I should be fine, I've alwasy liked Stargtae so its nice to see it continue in one form or another..

:YAHOO:

LLAP :D

Edited by zebredy

Hmmmm. Not sure what to think about this. I like Atlantis (whereas I loved SG-1) but I think Atlantis has been very erratic and inconsistent as there have been some very weak (and recycled from SG-1) storylines but also some great ones in the same series................so I do enjoy it, but (personal opinion) if you take away McKay as a character then I figure you end up with a pretty average show the way it is written at the moment - the relationship between McKay and Beckett was always far more natural and believeable to me than the current 'friendship' between McKay and Sheppard at the moment. Teyla, Ronan, Keller and Wolesey are OK characters but don't work on their own. I think Sheppard has been underdone as a character - to me there was only ever one Jack O'Neill (2 'l's) and Sheppard was a pale imitation but could have been developed so much better.

I'll reserve judgement on the new Universe. I'm with others on this forum that it sounds like recycled Star Trek tales to me at the moment, so I'm not sold on the idea................yet.

• 2 weeks later...

Well thinking back, I think in many ways Atlantis was at its best when it was properly cut off from Earth. Yes the story has progressed but they stopped being the underdogs and it was a different way of having to make do and do things for themselves. That is one thing that Universe should have going to it. And much as I loved Sam Carter in SG-1, having her parachute into Atlantis never really worked for me. So... if they are on their own, that really can't happen - they just have to get replacements from within the cast. Which as they never have more than one doctor at a time, we might have a doctor who lasts for the entire series... :P

So... if there may be a character who comes over, who would you like to see and who wouldn't you like to see?

My votes for like to see: Either Carson Beckett or Radek Zelenka. Carson would fit well as his family believe him dead (OK, technically the real Carson is dead...) and therefore he might want a different space mission. And Zelenka might need to get out from under McKay some time. Alternatively, the mission could be commanded by Major Lt Col Davis (well overdue for a promotion) who could do with having a single mission off Earth as experience before returning to the Pentagon and the mission goes wrong. Oh - and any reason to put Master Bra'tac in a new series would get my vote too.

Who would I not like to see - Richard Woolsey (it would be Robert Picardo in Star Trek Voyager II) and Dr Bill Lee.

Other people's thoughts?