Female Guests?

HazaRaza

Really good line up. Shame Dirk Benedict has cancelled, know many that were looking forward to meeting him, but Shows hope to get him for future Glasgow show.

Still good line up even without Dirk.

But...........if more guests still to be announced a few female one's would not go amiss.

Thus far 10 guys and...............only 2 ladies!

A few stunners would pull in more guys for sure! Okay Marina Sirtis is stunning, and Louise is draw for Doctor Who which has lot of fans, but if Nicholas Brendon, Paul Mcgillion, etc are pulling in the ladies, then a few more female guests would pull in more guys.

Not just fans I mean but general audience who have never been to an event before, such as shoppers on the day at the Braehead centre (thousands there, new potential visitors to Collectormania). The general shoppers, public, etc see Nicholas Brendon, etc on posters might think - I'll go to that, especially women.

Few stunners would get same reaction with general shoppers, especially males. Previous events in England had Haydn from 'Heroes', etc, people like that in Glasgow would bring in masses more people - shoppers at Braehead seeing a poster or leaflet on the day.

I can say with certainty people seeing Nicholas Brendon on posters/leaflets on the day, that are just shopping at Braehead and had not planned on going to event or maybe not heard of it, you will get a lot of them coming in especially females, not just females of course! (e.g. Westlife do signing at record store, do signings the proportion of females far outweighs males). Few stunners like Haydn league, will bring in a lot of people and lots of guys, not just guys of course.

The event will be a success anyway good line up! But evening up that 10-2 ratio would make it even more successful I'm sure.

• Moderators

I've never been aware of them creating a lineup with gender in mind. I don't particularly think it makes a huge difference.

Sure there'll always be some people that are more interested in meeting a woman simply because she's a woman, and they fancy her or something .. but I'm pretty sure that's a small amount of attendees usually!

In general, I would imagine the show/movie they're from and the character they played is of far more importance. And I personally would be happy if that was the main consideration, not getting a couple of 'fit birds' in for 'the lads'.

I've always found it a bit odd that someone would wanna pay £15 to meet someone simply because they thought looked good. Seemed a little expensive just for that!

I've never been aware of them creating a lineup with gender in mind. I don't particularly think it makes a huge difference.

Sure there'll always be some people that are more interested in meeting a woman simply because she's a woman, and they fancy her or something .. but I'm pretty sure that's a small amount of attendees usually!

In general, I would imagine the show/movie they're from and the character they played is of far more importance. And I personally would be happy if that was the main consideration, not getting a couple of 'fit birds' in for 'the lads'.

I've always found it a bit odd that someone would wanna pay £15 to meet someone simply because they thought looked good. Seemed a little expensive just for that!

cougth* davidanders*cougth * :smile:

no david that would be really really silly lol...

although i do think a bit of women folk may make it a little more diverse, some of the nicest guests have been women.

How about some Buffy and Angel female guests to keep Nicholas company. I suggest:

Sarah Michelle Gellar

Alyson Hannigan

Michelle Trachtenberg

Sarah Hagan

Kristy Wu

Eliza Dushku

Gina Torres

Stephanie Romanov

To name a few :(

Personally, ive been known to do that, but ive always known who the person is and had some interest, and the fact they've been attractive has usually been the swaying factor which makes me pay to meet them.

So I think most people somehow have an interest in them still beyond looks.

David B,

Read some good books on Psychology & Modern Culture as it seems you don't know that much at present.

Would Westlife or Boyzone when they got huge queues doing record signings in record stores, etc be as famous as they were if they were really ugly looking? Would they get huge queues tomeet them lasrgely made up of females?

Would Britney Spears sell anything like the amount of records she sells if she was ugly?

Would Charmed or Buffy have been very successful if they had mainlu ugly people in them e.g. the 3 sisters in Charmed were horrors?

Would Knight Rider have been as successful if it had not been David Hasslehoff but Clint Howard http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0397212/ ?

Would Ghost Whisperer be as popular if it didn't star Jennifer Love Hewitt but had someone really rough looking in the lead role?

And you are saying none of that has any reflection on attendance at an event where celebrity guests from movies/tv/music appear at??? Yeh, okay then sure!

The majority of people aren't paying £15 just because the person looks good, of course they are fans of the shows or films, but again see above! If Nicholas Brendon or Marina Sirtis were really ugly looking you think they'd have half the fans they do, or get the attention they do at conventions, I mean pleaseeeeeeeeee!

Poor examples dude. What about the other people in shows? I'm not gona name anyone, cos everyone has their own opinions of beauty, and I've met many actors who I would not class as good looking, but have been great guests to meet so I'm not going to name them here.

Britney shaved her head and put on a load of weight. Then with a bad wig and a flabby midriff she whipped out 3 more hits.

For cult TV shows, which is what we're interested in here, looks rarely matter (which is what DeeBee is saying), and we meet them cos of their acting, not looks.

And wasn't the whole point of Xander in buffy that he was the geeky, funny looking one?

(Oh and nice guy Clint Howard who I know from Star Trek is married. The Hoff is very much single. Women don't settle down with looks ultimately always.)

Edited by Lizzy

for once i disagree haza

you get any actor/actress and some one will think they are good looking

and yes westlife and the likes get the attention of screamin teenage girls, not the type of people likely to come to this event

and if you think about it the other way and get a female guest in just because she would appeal to the male gender then you get a bunch of NEDS (Chavs for you english) who will probably be rude to them and they will never do a signing in glasgow again

there was no female guest last year if memory serves (may be mistaken) and it was a good show for all the boys and girls

David B,

Read some good books on Psychology & Modern Culture as it seems you don't know that much at present.

Would Westlife or Boyzone when they got huge queues doing record signings in record stores, etc be as famous as they were if they were really ugly looking? Would they get huge queues tomeet them lasrgely made up of females?

Would Britney Spears sell anything like the amount of records she sells if she was ugly?

Would Charmed or Buffy have been very successful if they had mainlu ugly people in them e.g. the 3 sisters in Charmed were horrors?

Would Knight Rider have been as successful if it had not been David Hasslehoff but Clint Howard http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0397212/ ?

Would Ghost Whisperer be as popular if it didn't star Jennifer Love Hewitt but had someone really rough looking in the lead role?

And you are saying none of that has any reflection on attendance at an event where celebrity guests from movies/tv/music appear at??? Yeh, okay then sure!

The majority of people aren't paying £15 just because the person looks good, of course they are fans of the shows or films, but again see above! If Nicholas Brendon or Marina Sirtis were really ugly looking you think they'd have half the fans they do, or get the attention they do at conventions, I mean pleaseeeeeeeeee!

Not a valid comparison. You care comparing beautiful successful people to non-beautiful unsuccessful people.

We are comparing beautiful successful people to non-beautiful equally successful people. And our answer is that there is no difference.

Edited by Psychosis

Psychotic sorry Psychosis,

To use the well known Italian saying - 'Youaa talkaa lotta crapaa'.

Your imaginary comparisons sadly just weren't in my posts.

Hmm great response there HaraRaza7 - do the psychology books teach you to rudely reply with 'Youaa talkaa lotta crapaa'? If so, let me know which ones so I can avoid them.

Seems to me the majority (although not all) of your posts which i've been unfortunate enough to read have been negative - any particular reason given in your Psychology books about that?

• Moderators

To me, watching something for shallow reasons is slightly different - i.e. you're not having to pay £15 for the privilege! Therefore, you'll get a lot more people doing it probably. Just like looking at pictures or something.

When it comes to conventions/signing events, I just don't think pulling in "a few stunners" is a priority. If they're well known, successful, and popular and happen to look great then well that's all well and good, but there are plenty of good looking women out there that have done nothing and people wouldn't want to meet them! You'd just get plenty standing at the end of queues staring, unless they have money to burn.

I can't remember ever talking to someone and having them say "ok, I'm not meeting that guest - I mean, I like their character but ewww they're ugly! I'm not paying £15 to meet an ugly person!" ..

Look at it like this:

A lot of guys think Britney looks great, but how many actually buy her music and go to her gigs unless they like her music? I know loads that think she's a good looking girl, but wouldn't ever purchase anything of hers.

Westlife doing a store signing is totally different - generally, store signings are free, or you'd just have to buy a single or something. A lot cheaper way to meet a band you 'fancy' than paying £15 for a single autograph at a Glasgow event.

I'm sorry if I've not read Psychology books. I didn't realise that was a prerequisite for offering my opinion on something. Don't judge what I know or don't know - if you need to know, I did a media degree at university including analysis of gender roles etc, so I hope that counts. Personally I think it's utterly irrelevant!

It wasn't a debate about the importance of looks in the media, or gender roles in society, nor a statement that they don't matter at all - simply that it shouldn't be the primary reason for getting a guest along to an event, and that I didn't agree with your logic. The organisers need to focus on getting guests that will make them money - whether male or female, beautiful or "not", it needs to be someone that people would want to pay to meet. And being 'stunning' and 'female' isn't enough.

How about some Buffy and Angel female guests to keep Nicholas company. I suggest:

Sarah Michelle Gellar

Alyson Hannigan

Michelle Trachtenberg

Sarah Hagan

Kristy Wu

Eliza Dushku

Gina Torres

Stephanie Romanov

To name a few :thumbup:

I second this as I think alot of people I've spoken to want to meet Nick but think its too far to travel for one guest so another Buffy guest would maybe entise them to come. Although I'm sure you'd then be swamped with complaits of how unfair it is having two guests from the same show/fandom!!

I'd also add Mercedes McNab, Amber Benson, Emma Caulfield and Charisma Carpenter to that list especially as the later two would be a great addition to Nick.

and if you think about it the other way and get a female guest in just because she would appeal to the male gender then you get a bunch of NEDS (Chavs for you english) who will probably be rude to them and they will never do a signing in glasgow again

CM shows have had glamour models before... twas rather random imo! But I suppose that is the type of person Haza is wanting to meet? Might I suggest Nuts magazine might be cheaper? (Awesome mag btw! Jokes are amazing lol)

Grr I don't like my posts being ignored! Or maybe I had valid points, as you seem to have ignored me when I've been right/ sensible before?

Funny thing is, you mention psychology books... Might I ask what psych qualifications you actually have to ride this basis on? My Psych A Level cwk was actually on this very subject of beautiful/ ugly people! Showing piccies and asking which people would likely go on a date with, and which would be better to marry. Take a guess of the results people!

Liz,

I have Hons. Degree in Psychology, and am professional NLP Master Trainer, you asked but anyway that's incidental.

Anyway, I'm not saying it so some female 'stunners' get added to the guest list for my benefit, I'm saying it for Showmasters benefit as afore mentioned with 10-2 ratio of male to female guests, and people like Nick Brendon, etc to pull in the ladies there is an imbalance.

The general shoppers at the Braehead Centre who are unaware event is on that day, and happen to see posters or leaflets are definitley more likey to come with some stunners in there.

I know loads of guys that are fans of Girls Aloud, but not all are big fans of their music some like it of course, and I know masses that have gone to see them live & believe me if they were al ugly they would NEVER have gone!

The show will be a success regardless, but getting those casual shoppers ('floating voters'!) you need to pull out all the stops, and we are talking about a serious amount of extra potential people paying to get in, not just a few!

Anyway, I'm not saying it so some female 'stunners' get added to the guest list for my benefit, I'm saying it for Showmasters benefit as afore mentioned with 10-2 ratio of male to female guests, and people like Nick Brendon, etc to pull in the ladies there is an imbalance.

The general shoppers at the Braehead Centre who are unaware event is on that day, and happen to see posters or leaflets are definitley more likey to come with some stunners in there.

if you showed your random braehead customer a flyer with current guest list they probably couldn't identify many of them

and as for something to entice the male gender in how about getting you photo taken with one of your childhood heros actually dressed up in costume with the frickin proton pack!

true some comic book fans and sci-fi geeks with the Y Chromosome do tend to have the "Oh pretty woman, have to watch" hence why they put Claire in the cheerleader outfit and have a "teenage" girl playin a terminator but most fans are not interested in how they look

having eye candy isn't going to make the show any better, having interesting guest there will!

hey its not only men that have childhood heroes that wear protonpacks!

the problem with the line up if there is any is that its all old shows, there isn't anyone really that you would get someone from outside saying ' i saw them on tv last night i must meet them'

there arn't that many household names there, you have to bare in mind that not all of us come from scifi orientated houses.

things like dr who and torchwood will pull in guests regardless as there is a wide fan base and there curent shows, prisonbreak 24 heroes supernatural all these things are shown on the t.v at the moment they will git your average punter in .

things like buffy have been religated to re-runs.

doesn't matter if the guest is male or female, as long as there known.

i havent met a guest yet that wasn't in a show or something i like to watch

Pot, kettle. Clint Howard is an excellent guest who I enjoyed meeting at a previous CM. He has been in a lot of successful TV shows (e.g. Star Trek) and movies (e.g. The Waterboy)and was the lead in Gentle Ben.

Liz,

I have Hons. Degree in Psychology, and am professional NLP Master Trainer, you asked but anyway that's incidental.

I know loads of guys that are fans of Girls Aloud, but not all are big fans of their music some like it of course, and I know masses that have gone to see them live & believe me if they were al ugly they would NEVER have gone!

The show will be a success regardless, but getting those casual shoppers ('floating voters'!) you need to pull out all the stops, and we are talking about a serious amount of extra potential people paying to get in, not just a few!

So you've got an Honours Degree - congratulations. Good for you. If you'd said you had a Phd, fair enough. But an Honours Degree? So what? As for the "NLP Master Trainer" part, not worth the paper it's printed on.

Anyway, you have a point, *to* a point. People always gravitate towards beautiful people, for a lot of reasons. I hesitate to defend you since you're being a bit of a nob, but the example of someone like Xander out of Buffy isn't a great example, since not many 'geeks' in school look like Xander.

However, there's a big difference between "This person is in a show I am a big fan of, and a part (even subconciously) of why I like them is because they are fit", and "Damn, that girl's fit, I must now pay £25 to get their autograph, irrespective of the fact that I don't know who the hell they are". I'm prepared to accept that part of the reason I like Amanda Tapping is that she's a hottie. I'm also prepared to accept that the show might not have been as popular with it's core audience if she wasn't.... but that's not the only reason I wanted to meet her.

Having said all of this, if you set Abi Titmuss up in a stall at the next SM event, got her to wear a micro skirt and a string vest, and sold photoshoots at £15 a pop you'd probably get a fair amount of business. Not sure that's the sort of event I'd want to go to though...

Having said all of this, if you set Abi Titmuss up in a stall at the next SM event, got her to wear a micro skirt and a string vest, and sold photoshoots at £15 a pop you'd probably get a fair amount of business. Not sure that's the sort of event I'd want to go to though...

Saying that she only had 3 people turn up at her last FREE signing session :blush:

Mike Donovan,

There is a great deal of Bellendethness in your post, at first I gave it the benefit of the doubt but upon re-reading it noticed the Bellendicity level inherent in your posts was fluctuating.

Anyway, I only mentioned Degree as someone asked , as for NLP you clearly are completely clueless about it! Have you been to any NLP courses? No! Have you read much on it? No! Well, guess that entails you haven't much of a clue what you are talking about.

As for saying 'you're being a bit of a knob' very immature indeed, but suppose better than yourself being the end (see previous).

Lizzy,

Look okay I'll meet you if you will be at the Glasgow event? (and if you're not going why you keep posting here nobody knows?).

I'll be honest just here to talk about the show, but flattered you keep chatting me up everytime I post, you follow up with more posts.

So okay, as you have been so persistent I will meet you at the Glasgow show if you will be there?

Way hey, I've been out all day and get 2 direct answers without saying anything, I'm the one who should be flattered :P :P But seriously, no chance mate!

And its not really any of your business as to whether I'm going or not, its my own prerogative to post where I want on this forum, regardless if I ultimately go or not. So I'll leave that one unanswered- purely cos I fancy being difficult!