I know you're under pressure but it's only just over 2 months

liremaer

i personaly really liked c13 ( for personal reasons as well as the guests) but then it was the first cm i had been to in a long time...

personaly i go to theses things to hang out with mates and my other half so i would probably be there regardless of the guests, but as somone said christopher lloyd wasnt anounced till a week or so before lfcc so its all about who and why your going as of now there isn't anyone i need to meet for myself i have to meet somone for my mam, but that's it.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

trouble I have with the late announcement is my transport.

I prefer flying (since I'm from the netherlands) and need to book preferable asap. (ryanair)

but when, for example, one of the jason voorhees actors is announced, I need to bring along my machete. See the picture at the customs? yes sir that is a machete, but I collect autographs on it. ok son, go ahaed and fly with that machete in your backpack...

or a syringe to sign by Shawnee smith for example...

So: I need to know in advance if I need to book a boat/train or a plane...

Besides that there's currently just 1 guest interesting enough for me to come (what if he cancels??)

(that's mr Dreyfuss by the way, who still isn't on the homepage)

but when, for example, one of the jason voorhees actors is announced, I need to bring along my machete. See the picture at the customs? yes sir that is a machete, but I collect autographs on it. ok son, go ahaed and fly with that machete in your backpack...

or a syringe to sign by Shawnee smith for example...

Just in case you're serious and it's a real machete, I will point out a couple of things : -

1) No airline will allow you on the plane with a syringe, much less a machete, in your carry on luggage. You may not even be allowed to carry a machete in your hold luggage.

2) It is highly illegal to carry a machete, or indeed any bladed weapon, anywhere in the UK. The UK is very harsh on this at the moment (some would say too harsh). You will certainly be arrested, and possibly imprisoned, if you are found to be carrying such a thing at any time.

If it's a plastic machete, in principle you could still be arrested if it looked sufficiently authentic - but you'd probably be ok given the type of event you're going to!

Besides that there's currently just 1 guest interesting enough for me to come (what if he cancels??)

Then that's a risk you take.

I personally only book my flight very close to the event, like 2 wks before or as soon there is at least 3 good guests I want to meet announced.

Just in case you're serious and it's a real machete, I will point out a couple of things : -

1) No airline will allow you on the plane with a syringe, much less a machete, in your carry on luggage. You may not even be allowed to carry a machete in your hold luggage.

2) ... etc

thanks, I am serious about bringing the (yes, real) machete to the con,

that's why I'd travel per train or boat, since your luggage isn't searched/scanned then.

And yes I was kidding when I said I'd bring it to the plane... (sorry that it didn't come over that way) :P

The machete is wrapped securely, and not ready to be used instantly. (hell, it's even hard to unpack at the event) Thanks for the warning however :P I'll keep it in mind...

@ Nicky, I agree that is the risk, and that's why I also have a minimum number of guests befor booking (2 in my case)

My boyfriend took a samari sword to eclipse. He spoke to security as soon as we arrived. They asked him some questions, and everything was good. Later on in the show tho, he only took his scabbard to be signed, and left the sword safely in his hotel room. There was one guy who also had a sword, and was carrying it on his back the whole time and kept accidently whaking people with it. I saw many people who brought the whole sword into the signing area, even tho they only wanted the scabbard signing.

I have seen some cool items being signed but somtimes these things just arnt practical - ESP WHEN ITS IN A PUBLIC SHOPPING CENTRE! I would email showmasters to see what they say.

trouble I have with the late announcement is my transport.

I prefer flying (since I'm from the netherlands) and need to book preferable asap. (ryanair)

Slightly off subject as its not convention related. If you are booking any flights with Ryanair you need make the booking directly with them as they are not allowing any 3rd party bookings (price camparisons sites, expidea, latebookings.com etc..). It was on the news regarding this people who had even booked up ex amount of time had two choices pay a premium for the flight or not get on the plane!

I fly with Ryanair too and I might book the ticket immediately if there's a guest I definately wanna meet cos the flights are so cheap - if they guest cancels it means I'll only have wasted a minimal amount. But still I usually play safe and book the flights when at least 3 good guests or 2 great guests have been announced or 2 wks before the event. Booking the flight so late wastes some money but you have peace of mind at least and it's never that expensive with Ryan air anyway.

The laws have changed since then, and such things aren't allowed.

Exactly - there aren't any exceptions anymore, and whether it's wrapped up or not if you're seen carrying such a thing you will be *instantly* arrested. If anyone tells the police there is a man with a Machete knocking about in Milton Keynes shopping centre it's very likely an armed response unit will be called in. I'm not kidding.

They won't be sympathetic to your excuse, I guarantee it. I would really advise you against bringing it - if you did, frankly, you'd be entering a world of hurt.

With respect to a Katana or something similar, the police *might* be willing to allow it if it's not engineered i.e. if it's purely a display model without a sharp blade. But even then I doubt it!

Could someone on here in the know, please (if possible) post a link to a site that tells you about the licensing laws regarding weapons namely replica weapons.

I tied to find one the other day with no luck, and need to give this information to someone else asap, thanks in advance for any help on this..

:headscratch:

LLAP :D

Could someone on here in the know, please (if possible) post a link to a site that tells you about the licensing laws regarding weapons namely replica weapons.

I tied to find one the other day with no luck, and need to give this information to someone else asap, thanks in advance for any help on this..

This is a good reference - written as a guide for the theatre, it explains the restrictions of the law and what exceptions the theatre can use. If basically you consider the theatre exceptions don't apply, it's a start:

http://www.scda.org.uk/whatwedo/TheViolent...tionAct2006.pdf

If you want to read the actual legislation, it's at http://www.opsi.gov.uk/acts/acts2006/ukpga_20060038_en_1

The stuff on weapons is in part 2. The explanatory notes to the Act may be useful:

http://www.opsi.gov.uk/acts/acts2006/en/uk...n_20060038_en_1

What particular sort of weapons are you referring to?

For information, section 19 of the Firearms Act 1968, as subsequently amended by the Anti-social Behaviour Act 2003, a person commits an offence if, without lawful authority or reasonable excuse (the proof whereof lies on him) he has with him in a public place

(a) a loaded shot gun,

(:WAVE: an air weapon (whether loaded or not),

© any other firearm (whether loaded or not) together with ammunition suitable for use in that firearm, or

(d) an imitation firearm.

This is a good reference - written as a guide for the theatre, it explains the restrictions of the law and what exceptions the theatre can use. If basically you consider the theatre exceptions don't apply, it's a start:

http://www.scda.org.uk/whatwedo/TheViolent...tionAct2006.pdf

If you want to read the actual legislation, it's at http://www.opsi.gov.uk/acts/acts2006/ukpga_20060038_en_1

The stuff on weapons is in part 2. The explanatory notes to the Act may be useful:

http://www.opsi.gov.uk/acts/acts2006/en/uk...n_20060038_en_1

What particular sort of weapons are you referring to?

For information, section 19 of the Firearms Act 1968, as subsequently amended by the Anti-social Behaviour Act 2003, a person commits an offence if, without lawful authority or reasonable excuse (the proof whereof lies on him) he has with him in a public place

(a) a loaded shot gun,

(:blink: an air weapon (whether loaded or not),

© any other firearm (whether loaded or not) together with ammunition suitable for use in that firearm, or

(d) an imitation firearm.

Thank you for that

:WAVE:

LLAP :D

To clear up the Machete thing read this from the Cosplay FAQ:

We regret that metal replica weapons will not be allowed in the event under any circumstances.

The full Cosplay FAQ can be found here: http://showmastersonline.com/forums/index....showtopic=37972

You can be 100% sure (even before you figure in the fact that you are likely to get arrested anyway) that Showmasters will not allow a metal weapon in the con in general if they won't allow it in a controlled environment such as a cosplay event.

And Dragging the thread kicking and screaming back onto topic:

It's now almost exactly a month to the event and the guest announcements are, well pretty damn poor.

Not to say that the guests that HAVE been announced are bad in any way but the number of guests is poor at best. Heck, we usually at least have a million and one Star Wars extras announced by now.

I'm not 100% bothered about the guests as such (then why are you complaining you ask) more the knock on effect to the dealers, the quantity and quality of them more specifically.

I dare say that all the dealers for this one are pre booked but I just worry if Showmasters field a poor spread of guests if there will be as many next time.

(can you tell that it's all about the dealers for me, lol)

I've been to every collectormania since C2 and prob will keep going, I'm just a tad worried is all.

I'm surprised by how few guests have been announced for this event a month before. Usually by now we're looking at around 15 to 20 guests at least. So far there are only 8 guests which saddens me.

edit: sorry 10 guests, the latest 2 arent on the website yet

Edited by jael001

I'm surprised by how few guests have been announced for this event a month before. Usually by now we're looking at around 15 to 20 guests at least. So far there are only 8 guests which saddens me.

Well they are running a lot of events these days, so maybe they don't have aas much time to spend on each event as they used too, besides Glasgow event is this weekend so maybe there will be some more announcements next week?

:blush:

LLAP :blink:

The problem is for people who (like me) come from abroad (or far away in UK) and have to plan a lot of things in addition to the usual hotel booking. For example prices for flights become stupidly expensive when you book very late nowadays.

10 guests 5 weeks before a Collectormania is indeed something I have never testified since the first time I've heard about Collectormania which was at the time of C4 or C5.

I agree that this is probably due to the too large number of events Showmasters are running those days. They are busy with Collectormania Glasgow but then they will be busy with Aftermath and if we have to wait until these two events are gone then we will be at the beginning of september ....

The problem is for people who (like me) come from abroad and have to plan a lot of things in addition to the usual hotel booking. For example prices for flights become stupidly expensive when you book very late nowadays.

You could book a flight before even 1 guest you like has been announced when its still cheap. I sometimes do that when just one guests is announed that way if I dont end up going I wont have wasted so much money as when I would if I booked it really late.

Ahh, nice in theory (I have had return flights with Ryanair in the past for under a tenner). But what if you later want to see guests attending on other days ? As C14 stands, and with so many other events wanting attention, I will be in and out of MK in the same day - but what if I opt to do that on Saturday so I don't need to take Sunday off work, and a dream guest gets announced for Sunday only ? Decisions decisions !!

The problem is for people who (like me) come from abroad and have to plan a lot of things in addition to the usual hotel booking. For example prices for flights become stupidly expensive when you book very late nowadays.

You could book a flight before even 1 guest you like has been announced when its still cheap. I sometimes do that when just one guests is announed that way if I dont end up going I wont have wasted so much money as when I would if I booked it really late.

I was talking quite generally as personally I don't fly to go to Milton Keynes, quite funnily I drive to go there :YAHOO: But I know a lot of friends who fly and then take the train (which is also expensive). I don't go abroad for 1 or 2 guests, my minimum is at least 3 or 4 but usually it's more than that. So far I'm interested by Richard, Jeanette and Michael. I've met the others before. Another problem is that the people that usually come with me are only interested by 1 guest so far and won't join me. So at the moment, C14 is a no for me because I'm already booked for three other events later in the year and I will add new ones only if they are really interesting.

I used to think like you Nicky, booking early and then not loose too much money if I don't attend the event but with so many events available throughout the year, I have to make more strict choices.

That said, I'm not complaining at all, just stating a few facts. If there are not enough guests of interest for me at C14, I will simply not go.

But what if you later want to see guests attending on other days ? what if I opt to do that on Saturday so I don't need to take Sunday off work, and a dream guest gets announced for Sunday only ?

I anticipate that and only go for the Sat/Sun if someone shows up for Mon, I just either miss out or buy another ticket one way. Never happened yet though.

personally I don't fly to go to Milton Keynes, quite funnily I drive to go there :YAHOO: Another problem is that the people that usually come with me are only interested by 1 guest so far and won't join me.

I fly to Bham then take a train and then drive, there isnt an airport in MK? That's the beauty of going alone, you make your own decisions, it's all about the guests you wanna meet, not the freinds that go with you.

Edited by nicky

I fly to Bham then take a train and then drive, there isnt an airport in MK? That's the beauty of going alone, you make your own decisions, it's all about the guests you wanna meet, not the freinds that go with you.

Yeah but driving 1000 km on my own is quite a lot :YAHOO:

Also, it's much more expensive because I'd have to pay alone for the oil, train ticket (for the car) and of course the hotel itself.

But eventually it's the fact that I always go to these events with my friends, it wouldn't be the same without them.

Edited by lams9999