Feedback/suggestions following C13

gobo1979uk

If you want photo shoots the answer is to book early this goes for any con or signing. I believe showmasters sell normally 400? photo tickets for each guest so if you know the guest is likely to be popular you have to book early and i believe it is announced on the forum when tickets are low like they did for JB. i have never been to a con where photos are limited, even in the US where they charge loads more for photos you get fans buying several depends on how into the guest you are i guess and james has a large fan base who like the variety of shots he does. For some people the photos mean more than the autographs as well so you want to get a good one, and not everyone takes good photos first time round.

Edited by buffy2k

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am not sure how you would police that and to be honest you will find that a lot of the James fans certainly will order more than one photo if you have seen james before you know that he changes his poses and many people like one of each and if course if you take a crap photo you have another chance if you buy 2. i was in the John B photo q and didnt see anyone with more than 2 there were just a lot of fans out there for him and you had to be quick.

If you want photo shoots the answer is to book early this goes for any con or signing or there is always a chance to miss out otherwise. i have never been to a con where photos are limited, even in the US where they charge loads you get fans buying more than one depends on how into the guest you are i guess.

Oh I realise you have to get in there quick when buying photoshoot tickets. I did and was lucky to get one. I realise it's something that would be hard to police too. My point was simply that, if some fans weren't so greedy and would just be happy to buy 1 or 2 tickets (even 3) for themselves per guest, then there'd be more tickets left for other fans to buy, when there are limited tickets for any particular popular guests. I wasn't just referring to James Marsters, I know there were people buying lots of tickets for pics with John Barrowman and Eve Myles too. I'm just amazed at the greediness of some people that's all. I mean, how many photos does one person need?! Lol. And I wasn't talking about buying just 2 tickets, or even 3. It's those who went overboard and bought like 6 or 7 for one guest, at the expense of other fans who would have killed to have just 1!

It didn't affect me as I had my photo session pic with who I wanted (John Barrowman), so I'm not just complaining because I didn't get a photo with him, lol. I'm just annoyed for my friends and other fans who didn't get any pics with them, but may have stood a chance if others hadn't been so greedy and ordered 6 or 7 tickets for themselves.

Edited by spaceygal

Anyone that has seen James before will know some fans go for more than 1 pic, he does some lovely shots and if they are willing to pay for them this is their choice and money.

As I said, I wasn't just talking about James Marsters, they were doing it with other guests too. And yes, I know it's peoples' choice to buy as many photo tickets as they like if they're available. I'm just saying I wish people weren't so damned selfish and would think of others! But I know that's just being idealistic and people will always just be out for themselves. Imagine if everyone who went bought, say 4 tickets for one guest. The 400 available tickets would only go to 100 people when 400 people would have had the chance to have a photo if everyone would have just been happy with buying 1 ticket each. And the tickets wouldn't have sold out so quickly too, so those who weren't able to buy them straight away might have had more of a chance of getting one before they sold out! This is just an example I'm making anyway. I know some things never change, like human nature! Lol.

Edited by spaceygal

I'm in agreement with spaceygal that those who buy up multipule photoshoot tickets are selfish and a sensible limit should be set. I'm sorry but 12 tickets between two people is just madness and greedy however loveable the guest is.

I agree that 6 photo tickets or so per person is too much if/when it takes the opportunity for a photoshoot away from other fans.

But I also believe it's impossible to prevent it. Different people buying photoshoot tickets for the same person aside, it wouldn't be wise from Showmasters perspective to put a limit on it. It could be a reason not all tickets sell out. Not with for instance James Masters surely, but you can't measure with two sizes thus have to use this rule for all photoshoots. And even if they didn't, when do they decide a guest is SO popular they're going to put restrictions on the amount of photoshoots one person can buy?

What about some kind of pulley system to raise the white boards up and down? With a dedicted member of crew constantly updating them?

You mean attached to those hooks on the ceiling that the movie posters were hanging from?

yeah, maybe something like that....

I agree that 6 photo tickets or so per person is too much if/when it takes the opportunity for a photoshoot away from other fans.

But I also believe it's impossible to prevent it. Different people buying photoshoot tickets for the same person aside, it wouldn't be wise from Showmasters perspective to put a limit on it. It could be a reason not all tickets sell out. Not with for instance James Masters surely, but you can't measure with two sizes thus have to use this rule for all photoshoots. And even if they didn't, when do they decide a guest is SO popular they're going to put restrictions on the amount of photoshoots one person can buy?

At other events if the guest is popular a sensible restriction is placed on how many you can buy (3or4) and they are told if they want more to come back just before the shoot and if it hasn't sold out then buy more. Sometimes its more to protect the actor from the possibly over enthusiastic fan who thinks seen as they spent so much money they should get 'special' photos. Other times its to make sure that everyone at the event gets a fair chance to buy one.

It just takes an experienced and responsible person in charge of the sales to make a decision on the spot rather than a rule written in stone.

But how, for instance, would Showmasters know beforehand one person purchased say 6 tickets? This attendee can get someone else to buy 3 for them, amd buy 3 themself. And then qeue up twice for the photoshoot or so :\

I really do think a restriction of say 3 would be in place for popular guests (though, as I said before it could be hard to draw a line between popular/less popular at certain times) it just seems impossible imho.

I am not sure how you would police that and to be honest you will find that a lot of the James fans certainly will order more than one photo if you have seen james before you know that he changes his poses and many people like one of each and if course if you take a crap photo you have another chance if you buy 2. i was in the John B photo q and didnt see anyone with more than 2 there were just a lot of fans out there for him and you had to be quick.

If you want photo shoots the answer is to book early this goes for any con or signing or there is always a chance to miss out otherwise. i have never been to a con where photos are limited, even in the US where they charge loads you get fans buying more than one depends on how into the guest you are i guess.

Oh I realise you have to get in there quick when buying photoshoot tickets. I did and was lucky to get one. I realise it's something that would be hard to police too. My point was simply that, if some fans weren't so greedy and would just be happy to buy 1 or 2 tickets (even 3) for themselves per guest, then there'd be more tickets left for other fans to buy, when there are limited tickets for any particular popular guests. I wasn't just referring to James Marsters, I know there were people buying lots of tickets for pics with John Barrowman and Eve Myles too. I'm just amazed at the greediness of some people that's all. I mean, how many photos does one person need?! Lol. And I wasn't talking about buying just 2 tickets, or even 3. It's those who went overboard and bought like 6 or 7 for one guest, at the expense of other fans who would have killed to have just 1!

It didn't affect me as I had my photo session pic with who I wanted (John Barrowman), so I'm not just complaining because I didn't get a photo with him, lol. I'm just annoyed for my friends and other fans who didn't get any pics with them, but may have stood a chance if others hadn't been so greedy and ordered 6 or 7 tickets for themselves.

I had never done a collectormania event before, have to admit i'm not a big si fi fan but i love torchwood and especially John Barrowman, i only found out about the event a week before it happened from the 'Barrowman online' website, i didn't expect to be able to get a photoshoot ticket but as i'm local to mk nipped over on the Fri morning and bagged myself one (yes just one,couldn't afford any more even if i'd wanted them) so i'm thinking the barrowman shoot didn't sell out that quickly! :D

Re: James Marsters Photo tickets:

I usually get at least three, because as luck would have it, only one will turn out decent enough. I went to an earlier show of his and only got 1 photo and it's not one I show because it's not very good. But that's mainly the reason I do it. Law of averages aside, I should get 1 decent photo.

Stephen

PS: The most I heard from one person was 22 at CM 11!

I had never done a collectormania event before, have to admit i'm not a big si fi fan but i love torchwood and especially John Barrowman, i only found out about the event a week before it happened from the 'Barrowman online' website, i didn't expect to be able to get a photoshoot ticket but as i'm local to mk nipped over on the Fri morning and bagged myself one (yes just one,couldn't afford any more even if i'd wanted them) so i'm thinking the barrowman shoot didn't sell out that quickly! :D

It did sell out online, and SM made more available, then it was sold out again by sat i think.

And someone on the post pics thread has SIX with JB and JM... I couldn't post in there, it made me so mad to think that she, and others have just made 5 or more people miss out on a pic with him... I seriously don't get the point, not when someone is THAT busy... I'd feel so selfish! Like the people getting posed pics with Neil Marshal when he was only there an hour- at least 3 did it infront of me- and I was in the first 10 to see him- imagine how many people missed out? The selfishness of some people really gets to me. I just can't understand it.

Edited by Lizzy

But how, for instance, would Showmasters know beforehand one person purchased say 6 tickets? This attendee can get someone else to buy 3 for them, amd buy 3 themself. And then qeue up twice for the photoshoot or so :\

I really do think a restriction of say 3 would be in place for popular guests (though, as I said before it could be hard to draw a line between popular/less popular at certain times) it just seems impossible imho.

Its true that one person could get all their mates to go buy 3 for them, but at least a fair restriction was in place and each of those people had to queue just the same as everyone else. That alone would mean that people couldn't complain after the fact that they didn't have a fair chance at getting a ticket. If necessary you can take it one step further and the photo room wouldn't accept more that 3 or 4 for one person, so they may be able to get around the buying restriction but not get away with it in the photo room.

It all depends on how much of a problem over selling is as to what restrictions you place. I can't see that many people complaining they couldn't get a ticket so although a small problem its not massive enough to require a change in the rules. Whether it would need re-looking at for huge guests with time restrictions is something that should be done on a case by case basis.

Its true that one person could get all their mates to go buy 3 for them, but at least a fair restriction was in place and each of those people had to queue just the same as everyone else. That alone would mean that people couldn't complain after the fact that they didn't have a fair chance at getting a ticket. If necessary you can take it one step further and the photo room wouldn't accept more that 3 or 4 for one person, so they may be able to get around the buying restriction but not get away with it in the photo room.

I highlighted another important part of your post.

What you suggested may be more fair with tickets sold on the day. But online sales are another matter.

And I don't think stopping online sales would be a good idea. The queue for photo sales what bad enough at certain times. Can you imagine how long the line would have been constantly if photos for James and John had only been sold on the day?

I highlighted another important part of your post.

What you suggested may be more fair with tickets sold on the day. But online sales are another matter.

And I don't think stopping online sales would be a good idea. The queue for photo sales what bad enough at certain times. Can you imagine how long the line would have been constantly if photos for James and John had only been sold on the day?

Ah yes thank you, I forgot SM pre-sell photo shoots. The principle could be the same though the person, their card and that address could only get so many.

But if it is a problem then the restriction on the sales would only serve as a gentle reminder to people that its only fair to get so many each, it wouldn't completely prevent it because as its been pointed out people could still get their friends to buy for them. The only way to stop people having more than a set amount would be to only accept that set amount in the photo room. That would create a new problem in dealing with those people who decided to get around the system though and get to the room with 10 tickets though.

Like I say it depends on how big of a problem Showmasters perceive it to be in how they may or may not want to deal with it. There's the gentle approach which means relying on attendees to use common sense, or the iron fist rule which brings fairness but brings complaints from the other side.

Yeah you will never police this everyone buys for each other and this is after all where they make part of the money from these events you cant restrict tickets to day sales it would be chaos and more work for the staff. SM are aware how many tickets people buy on line after all. I admit i had several both days - several were bought for me as birthday presents though from friends.

All i would say is i would get in early if James is coming cos a lot of fans will buy several tickets. As with anything you always have to book early if you want any guarantee, leaving it till the last minute is never a good idea where tickets are limited or you may miss out. SM do give a heads up when sales are low after all but you have to keep an eye out. As far as i know James photos have sold out once at C7 and JB ones sold out and they sold more later on so you should always be able to get them. James tends to go to mk after doing his own events taking a large group of fans with him. He does do some nice poses, this year of course he was seated for pics due to rude people in the photo shoots so not quite the variety but he is such a great guy everyone seems to want the photos. Personally you can only have so many autos but photos can be updated so i would go for these any day over autos anyway and if you get more than one you must by the law of averages get one good one in the end.

Edited by buffy2k

When I was in the queue for James Marsters

on the Sunday 3 women in front of me had

about 4 or 5 pictures taken between them

in groups of two or on their own. I think I

was waiting for my turn over 10 mins...

although on a plus side I was able to look

at James for longer! lol

I personally think there should be a system

in place where everyone that wants a photo

with a guest done is only allowed 2 pics. And

to have a separate card that is stamped to

prove it. That way they can't cheat by getting

more. I've seen this happen at other events

outside the UK...and it seems to work.

Anyway I felt sorry for James. He looked so

exhausted long before the end of his photo

shoot. No wonder he went home early.

I bought 2 tickets this time, because I wanted to make sure I had at least one good one and I got a bit of a cuddle! I'm glad I did because one of my pictures is awful! However I do think having 4/5 is a bit ridiculous. There are only so many poses he can do!!

And someone on the post pics thread has SIX with JB and JM... I couldn't post in there, it made me so mad to think that she, and others have just made 5 or more people miss out on a pic with him... I seriously don't get the point, not when someone is THAT busy... I'd feel so selfish! Like the people getting posed pics with Neil Marshal when he was only there an hour- at least 3 did it infront of me- and I was in the first 10 to see him- imagine how many people missed out? The selfishness of some people really gets to me. I just can't understand it.

I've just seen the post you're reffering to and I really do agree with you. I just can't understand for the life of me why anyone would want that many pictures, different poses or not. Is it just an excuse to be able to touch the guests longer or something? To be perfectly frank it seems a little strange to me but seeing as showmasters allow it, I guess in the end it's each individuals business if they don't feel selfish (I don't get how they can't, really, I would) and is something that will continue since there probably isn't a workable way to restrict who buys what.

I've just seen the post you're reffering to and I really do agree with you. I just can't understand for the life of me why anyone would want that many pictures, different poses or not. Is it just an excuse to be able to touch the guests longer or something? To be perfectly frank it seems a little strange to me but seeing as showmasters allow it, I guess in the end it's each individuals business if they don't feel selfish (I don't get how they can't, really, I would) and is something that will continue since there probably isn't a workable way to restrict who buys what.

I look absolutely awful in my Adrian Pasdar photo (He told me I looked great in purple and I had a geeky smile, which made him have a laughing smile lol) but if I'd have loads, it would take away the special meaning to me sorta... I'd feel dead awkward too lol!!

TBH I don't think I could have handled more than one picture with JB. I was completely starstruck for a moment when I was standing in the line waiting to have my photo taken, it had never happened to me before either. But I managed to get out of it to walk and talk to him even ended up with two photos of us (I think Malcolm was expecting our faces to change but they didn't). But mostly I might die of a heartattack if I stand next to him too long.

TBH I don't think I could have handled more than one picture with JB. I was completely starstruck for a moment when I was standing in the line waiting to have my photo taken, it had never happened to me before either. But I managed to get out of it to walk and talk to him even ended up with two photos of us (I think Malcolm was expecting our faces to change but they didn't). But mostly I might die of a heartattack if I stand next to him too long.

Well he was squeezing me so tightly he might have cut off my air supply if we'd had to pose for much longer! :poki:

I agree with Lizzy about multipule pics not feeling as special as just having one or two. I will never see the appeal. Not to mention it must add up to a bloody fortune, getting up to five or six tickets! I found paying for one more than enough!

Well he was squeezing me so tightly he might have cut off my air supply if we'd had to pose for much longer! :poki:

I agree with Lizzy about multipule pics not feeling as special as just having one or two. I will never see the appeal. Not to mention it must add up to a bloody fortune, getting up to five or six tickets! I found paying for one more than enough!

Yes his grip was very...firm. Tell you what though I have very sensitive skin and I had bruises on my arm where he was gripping me so tight. Lucky I was wearing a jumper.

I also agree with Lizzy, especially if it has a story behind it, I have a few of those from other events. I actually went to CM to get another one of me and James as in my other one we looked completely out of it.

But if people want to buy 10 tickets then I curse them and foreshame them into having 1 pose the whole way through. :poki: