What a disappointment (Eva Myles and John Barrowman)

mariamaria

Thank you for what you did. Much appreciated. What was it like to experience Barrowmania? :thumbup:

Hard work, but good fun. Most people were very friendly and co-operative. He was very professional and very good at dealing with the large number of people.

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It was'nt too long ago that John B never had queues at film con's and would sit waiting for someone to come up to him,think LFACC 06 was one time i'd seen him less than busy

How things have changed.

Totally agree, 2yrs ago he was at LFCC and his queue was quiet and so was his talk as he had only been in Dr Who...now he's in Torchwood everyone wants to know him, funny how life turns out.

John as not changed though so anyone who thinks badly against him really don't have a scoobies about him

Hard work, not through his fault, but just through volume of work.

He was very professional, and very funny at times. I am now worn out - and I didn't have to drive anywhere tonight. He had to work harder and keep up the public side too.

There are other tales too - but not for this forum ;-)

Likewise..I was shattered, my feet were killing me and I had to catch a coach home at 7pm

Sabz :D

Edited by Aeris

John as not changed though so anyone who thinks badly against him really don't have a scoobies about him

I've met John three times since 2005 and even at CM on Sunday he remains one of the most humble and approachable actors that I've met. He was clearly trying to make the effort for everyone even when there really wasn't time. It could have been so easy for him to pull a Shatner but he was as accomdating as he was able to be. It's lovely to see that the fame he's gained since Torchwood hasn't changed him.

Edited by Princess83

Sad troll, or someone who doesn't have the courage of their convictions? Either way, goodbye, and don't expect further whinges to get taken seriously.

oldnick ..where you one of the crew members on saturday?

Where or were? ;-)

I was - I was working all four days.

Where? On Saturday I was pit boss for the area with Colin Baker etc.

On Sunday (when the events in this thread occurred) I was a guest assistant.

lol....were?? :wub::wub::wub:

I thought so i remember coming up to you and asking where i can get the leslie phillips photoshoot!! after that i had no problems ...thank you!!

i felt a little bit worse for where/were or wear.... :D:D:D you choose!! :D;)

Hey Nick just wanted to ask how it was sitting next to John and what he was like?

Hard work, not through his fault, but just through volume of work.

He was very professional, and very funny at times. I am now worn out - and I didn't have to drive anywhere tonight. He had to work harder and keep up the public side too.

There are other tales too - but not for this forum ;-)

lol would love to hear them sometime n think its fair to say u deserve a good rest :D

Yes I agree with cookies41, Nick - You did a splendid job and I think JB also deserves a good rest - :D

Sunday was as busy as I thought it would be....

We got there nice and early on Sunday (about 8am) and got tickets in the 200's for both John and Eve....

We also had a JB photo shoot.... We went to this right at the end of the shoot and ok it was rushed but he was so lovely - still chatting and hugging everyone! :)

Whilst he went to lunch we went and met Eve who was just lovely, I got a photo of her and Kai double signed that day and yes it is personalised by both of them... we also had a little chat about Torchwood

We decided not too meet JB as we have twice before and I did not want to pay £20 for a quick auto when it will be better at The Hub......

I thought the day was organised well though...

My only gripe is the "no photos in queue line" - never really understood that one!

Woohoo, I have my say now. hehe.

Got there fairly early, about 09:30ish, joined the long queue. Then a woman parading up and down the queue saying "you get your ticket but there no guarantee that you will get to meet him/them", I thought here we go. Anyway, I got my ticket for John and Eve, late 900's for John and mid 600's for Eve.

To cut a long story short I did get to meet them both but like the rest of you the meet was very very brief. What I tend to do now is always get a picture of the guest signing the item that you have given them, this is because that I always used to get (from friends and other people) "oh, that’s not his/her signature, you put that on there". So I always make a habit of taking a photo of them signing (at the very minimum).

Wasn’t until I paid my £15 for Eve that I saw the sign "no photos or videoing". I felt like getting my money back but it’s not the guests fault for this, so I went with it. I spoke to one of the members of staff standing near and asked if I could take a picture while she signed as my wife was going to get the item signed and I would just take the picture, no posing just a pic while she signed. I said that it wouldn’t even slow her down but he says "No!!" (Umm, jobs worth award there). She signed, I did briefly get a handshake but that’s it. She was literally signing like a trouper.

After, I joined the queue for John and paid my £20, made it to the front where the member of staff was letting people take photos when he was signing. I told John where to sign and he signed it, he didn’t seem as rushed as Eve and even cracked a joke and had a giggle. I took my photo and shook his hand and told him that we would see him in Northampton at the HUB. I felt much better for that and felt that I wasn’t being ripped off. My wife did stick her neck out and asked for a photo but he smiled and said that he wasn’t allowed.

Anyway, I got my picture signed but was a lil unhappy that I didn’t get the picture of Eve signing. So all in all it didn’t go too bad.

Cliff :crying::poki:

Edited by cjp_24

I would have rather them not have John this time and maybe have him next time when he can do a 2-3 day signing and not be pushed along a queue like chickens in a slaughter yard.
Think most people would rather have him for 1 day than not at all. There is no guarantee he can make another day.

If a guest that famous cannot make a 2 or 3 day signing due to other commitments, then why have them at all, it annoys the public and I’m sure that it's not nice for the guest too.

John signed over 1,000 auto's on Sunday. You think that those 1,000 people would be happy that he wasn't there because he couldn't do the whole weekend?

What I tend to do now is always get a picture of the guest signing the item that you have given them, this is because that I always used to get (from friends and other people) "oh, that’s not his/her signature, you put that on there". So I always make a habit of taking a photo of them signing (at the very minimum).

The grump that I do have and I think that it really needs to be taken onboard by the event organizers is that, John at the moment is very famous and they knew that lots of people would want to meet him. If a guest that famous cannot make a 2 or 3 day signing due to other commitments, then why have them at all, it annoys the public and I’m sure that it's not nice for the guest too. I would have rather them not have John this time and maybe have him next time when he can do a 2-3 day signing and not be pushed along a queue like chickens in a slaughter yard.

oh, just also.. Whats with the no camera flashes :crying: these people stand and live in front of camera's for a living. {{i just dont get this one}}

Sorry but I have to disagree with you. Maybe a guest as famous (and busy!) as John simply cannot take 2-3 days out of their schedule to sign autographs. I was happier that he was able to sign for 1 day than not at all! Why does it "annoy the public"? Perhaps it annoys those with unrealistic expectations, but not genuine fans.

The "No photos" rule has already been explained. It didn't bother me in the slightest. Why are you so worried about authenticating autographs for your friends? If they don't believe an autograph is genuine, that's their problem! If it's just for your own collection, and not to sell on, does it really matter if you don't have a photo of the actual moment of signing? YOU know it's genuine.

As for the flashes, this is true of MANY celebrities. Most hate being "flashed". I had the chance to photograph an actor during a talk a couple of years ago, but was told "NO FLASHES!!" I took dozens of shots, but didn't use the flash at all. It is possible to get great images without blinding someone if you know what you are doing :poki:

got there at half 8, and got ticket number 13 for eve and 16 for john both personalised and were very friendly and chatty, no problems for me, hope they come back soon,

Erm, how did you get number 16 for John if you were there from 8.30, I was there from 6.15 and I got number 47.......????

The grump that I do have and I think that it really needs to be taken onboard by the event organizers is that, John at the moment is very famous and they knew that lots of people would want to meet him. If a guest that famous cannot make a 2 or 3 day signing due to other commitments, then why have them at all, it annoys the public and I’m sure that it's not nice for the guest too. I would have rather them not have John this time and maybe have him next time when he can do a 2-3 day signing and not be pushed along a queue like chickens in a slaughter yard.

John woulda said "yes" to CM and given the days afterwards. Not everyone can make it to the Hub for various reason (Not a TW fan, too far, too expensive, busy...) So 2000 autos/ 600 photos is still a lot, and it made a lot of people (inc me who can't go to the hub) happy to see him. Rather all that then not.

oh, just also.. Whats with the no camera flashes :poki: these people stand and live in front of camera's for a living. {{i just dont get this one}}

If you had a bright camera flash in your eye every few seconds for 4 hours on a bright day, do you not think that would hurt your eyes just a bit? I know just 2 flashes of a pic for me from my mum's camera and I'm blind for 10 mins! but 4 hours?? Seriously, think out of the box!

I would have rather them not have John this time and maybe have him next time when he can do a 2-3 day signing and not be pushed along a queue like chickens in a slaughter yard.
Think most people would rather have him for 1 day than not at all. There is no guarantee he can make another day.

Might be worth a poll on that one. But I do hear you. My point of view is that if you cant get a decient hello then you might as well buy a presigned 10x8.

Edited by cjp_24

Might be worth a poll on that one. But I do hear you. My point of view is that if you cant get a decient hello then you might as well buy a presigned 10x8.

Why do you expect a decent hello? Are you a personal friend? John tried very very hard to give every fan a few seconds of his time. Under the circumstances, I thought he coped remarkably well, especially as he also had to do 600 photo sessions! :(

Think timings again.

Let's assume that everyone is a really sharp photographer with a reliable camera, that they've switched on, and has brought a friend with them to operate it - or is willing and able to get a crew member to do it.

Let's look at what happens...

When the guest has finished signing the autograph, they stand up / lean forward, the customer half sits onto the table, the photographer takes one photograph, perfectly the first time, and everyone then disentangles, and gets ready for the next customer.

That's a minimum of ten seconds per customer. That's IF everything is done perfectly. In practice it takes 2-3 times that long most of the time.

Someone's said earlier that JB signed over 1000 autographs - so let's use that figure. By the time he arrived and got started, went to a long photo shoot, and had lunch, he only actually signed for about 4 hours. So - taking those numbers he would have signed about 250 items per hour - or being generous one every fifteen seconds.

Effectively, each posed photo taken is one fewer item autographed. Is your photo worth depriving someone else of getting an autograph?

Now, before people say he should have signed for more than 4 hours. He worked flat out from when he arrived at the centre until we closed, when trading laws prevented us from continuing. While the crew had our lunch break (although the ones working with him were put on another job packing and distributing crew lunches to other areas during that) he was doing the photoshoot - the opportunity to allow those who really wanted a photograph with him to get one. He did have a lunchbreak, but that was it - no little breaks otherwise.

Basically, if you want big names, so does everyone else. Because of that. you'll get seconds with them. If you don't like that, I'd suggest you find other ways to meet them.

You are not buying quality time with a guest - you are buying an autograph that is beyond dispute in it's authenticity !! Expecting quality time at the signing or the photoshoot will only lead to disappointment.

Regarding trading laws though - surely a "sale" is when a punter gives their money ? The fact that it takes minutes or hours to receive the physical item surely irrellivant ? Just collect cash like the wind and then a guest can sign as long as they want to ? Sunday trading laws don't prevent a refund at 6.05 pm because John had to leave, do they ?

Maybe, I take on board what you all say but then I think they should reduce the price. I wouldnt have minded too much if I paid £10. I just want to eliminate the greed cost out of it. if you get my meaning.

He charged £20 per signature. He got though 1000 tickets at least at the minimum.

so..

£20 x 1000 = £20,000

and lots of people were getting 2 sigs, so you can add an extra £5k on that.

£25,000

how much would he charge? ummmm.

no, if they dropped the cost, i think we all would have been happy with a very quick HELLO, GOODBYE.

:)

Edited by cjp_24

Woohoo, I have my say now. hehe.

Got there fairly early, about 09:30ish, joined the long queue. Then a woman parading up and down the queue saying "you get your ticket but there no guarantee that you will get to meet him/them", I thought here we go. Anyway, I got my ticket for John and Eve, late 900's for John and mid 600's for Eve.

To cut a long story short I did get to meet them both but like the rest of you the meet was very very brief. What I tend to do now is always get a picture of the guest signing the item that you have given them, this is because that I always used to get (from friends and other people) "oh, that’s not his/her signature, you put that on there". So I always make a habit of taking a photo of them signing (at the very minimum).

Wasn’t until I paid my £15 for Eve that I saw the sign "no photos or videoing". I felt like getting my money back but it’s not the guests fault for this, so I went with it. I spoke to one of the members of staff standing near and asked if I could take a picture while she signed as my wife was going to get the item signed and I would just take the picture, no posing just a pic while she signed. I said that it wouldn’t even slow her down but he says "No!!" (Umm, jobs worth award there). She signed, I did briefly get a handshake but that’s it. She was literally signing like a trouper.

After, I joined the queue for John and paid my £20, made it to the front where the member of staff was letting people take photos when he was signing. I told John where to sign and he signed it, he didn’t seem as rushed as Eve and even cracked a joke and had a giggle. I took my photo and shook his hand and told him that we would see him in Northampton at the HUB. I felt much better for that and felt that I wasn’t being ripped off. My wife did stick her neck out and asked for a photo but he smiled and said that he wasn’t allowed.

Anyway, I got my picture signed but was a lil unhappy that I didn’t get the picture of Eve signing. So all in all it didn’t go too bad.

I wish to think this as an oversight and not a "don’t care but its money" tactic because that is not fair. I will be attending the HUB and will hopefully get to meet him again in a more relaxed atmosphere.

That’s it, grumble over. Hope everyone is happy. :)

Cliff :P:(

oh, just also.. Whats with the no camera flashes :P these people stand and live in front of camera's for a living. {{i just dont get this one}}

I'm sorry but I find this so selfish. I am very, very thankful that John was able to do even one day, especially as he's a ridiculously busy man at the moment when it comes to his career and he's very in demand from his fanbases. Yes, it was crazy at CM on Sunday, but it was still much better than nothing at all and I'm sure enough people went away from John and Eve happy enough despite the rush.

I think some people really have unrealistic expectations of these events. It's a signing, not a meet and greet. Not everyone's going to get the chance to go to the Hub, either because it's too expensive, too far away or because they more of a John fan than a Torchwood fan. Signings like CM are much more practical for the majority and even if a guest only has one day there, as long as you plan well enough you should get to meet them.

Also, your obsession with getting photos to prove yourself seems slightly over the top. Does it really matter what others think? As long as you know it's a real signature and aren't planning on selling it on later, why give that much of a damn about it? The no photos rule for the busier guests is not new, I don't know why people are acting so shocked over it. Least not forget you are only paying for the autograph. If you're able to take photos, count it as a nice bonus. If not, like I said, it's not a new rule.

Edited by Princess83

Whats your point CJP? Why you dragging money into the argument? From what I understand (I was busy looking after the James Marsters queue at the time) John was smiling and saying hi but he couldn't sit there and listen to peoples life stories due to time.

Edited by Grazer

You are not buying quality time with a guest - you are buying an autograph that is beyond dispute in it's authenticity !! Expecting quality time at the signing or the photoshoot will only lead to disappointment.

Regarding trading laws though - surely a "sale" is when a punter gives their money ? The fact that it takes minutes or hours to receive the physical item surely irrellivant ? Just collect cash like the wind and then a guest can sign as long as they want to ? Sunday trading laws don't prevent a refund at 6.05 pm because John had to leave, do they ?

I'm not a lawyer. What I do know is we had a very long gap between the desk and the signing table, and filled that area with paid up customers before we closed. We did what we could to get people through.

Regarding trading laws though - surely a "sale" is when a punter gives their money ? The fact that it takes minutes or hours to receive the physical item surely irrellivant ? Just collect cash like the wind and then a guest can sign as long as they want to ?

Ooh ooh, I do law! Not much on contract, but I can say what I know... A contract of sale basically involves consideration- which is, you give something for something in return. Terms matter, BUT on SM's website, and like everywhere written, it says an autograph is in person, but doesn't guarantee personalisation or a photo. So, you've agreed to the terms by paying, and both given consideration. Fair sale, so problem there. In the terms themselves it basically says that personalisations and photos are a luxury, NOT a given.

Did I make sense?

Maybe, I take on board what you all say but then I think they should reduce the price. I wouldnt have minded too much if I paid £10. I just want to eliminate the greed cost out of it. if you get my meaning.

He charged £20 per signature. He got though 1000 tickets at least at the minimum.

so..

£20 x 1000 = £20,000

and lots of people were getting 2 sigs, so you can add an extra £5k on that.

£25,000

how much would he charge? ummmm.

no, if they dropped the cost, i think we all would have been happy with a very quick HELLO, GOODBYE.

:)

Right. CM has free entry. For SM to make any money (lets face it, they don't do all these shows to make massive losses do they?), they would prob have a cut of the auto sales. Then theres AT LEAST the guest's agent to pay a % to too. Plus, they'd have to pay poss a PA, manager, etc (I don't know much about that lol). So I think you'll find the guest doesn't get as much of that as you think. If the auto is half price, there would poss be so little money, there is no point in them turning up for such a long day. Come on, it WOULD be tough to sign straight for 4 hours, say hello to thousands of people, have multiple flashes for photoshoots, while standing and smiling etc. It must be seriously tiring for the busy ones.

Also, their hotels and travel and expenses would need to be paid for. It adds up.

Put simply, if you're not happy, don't go! Its been like this for years, and plenty of the rest of us love it.