Films that you don't get.

lovbug

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To woman Sex And The City is the new Cosmo though ironically it tells its audience to do everything Cosmo said was bad (regarding men).

Not to all women, don't worry - some of us actually think it's a vacuous load of old :blink:

I don't get Rocky - why would anyone pay to listen to mumbling?

The Craft, recommended by a friend, well now an ex-friend, how and why did that film get made?????

While agree with you, there are actually one or two fans of that film here on this forum that even go so far as to say it's their favourite film. :wub:

The Craft, recommended by a friend, well now an ex-friend, how and why did that film get made?????

While agree with you, there are actually one or two fans of that film here on this forum that even go so far as to say it's their favourite film. :blink:

Really????? 'thud' .....that's the sound of my jaw crashing to the ground...no...you must be winding me up..Really????

to be fair though, im not the only one that has said bad of chocolate orange, Count Fooku also claims dislike for this movie

mmmmmmm chocolate orange. round but not round for long

To woman Sex And The City is the new Cosmo though ironically it tells its audience to do everything Cosmo said was bad (regarding men).

i dont think sex and the city tells women to do anything, isn't it more about discussing issues and the 4 girls make their own choices, often being different from each others ???

i dont think sex and the city tells women to do anything, isn't it more about discussing issues and the 4 girls make their own choices, often being different from each others ???

It doesn't tell women to directly do anything of course not. It influences, encourages and condones certain behaviours in the "new modern woman".

As with anything, it's quite possible to appreciate somethings technical merits even if the thing isn't to your taste. To me though a film like A Clockwork Orange doesn't work on any level, but its a bit daft to say that just because someone does like a specific film the they don't understand cinema, it's all about opinion after all.

A lot of people here have said they didn't "get" Clockwork Orange - I can understand where you're coming from, but like most of Kubricks films it has a very strong message running through it. In the case of CW it's a question - does society have the right to use force to assure what it considers to be 'correct' behaviour? The first half of the film is taken up setting Alex as being completely unsympathetic - but after the second half you're left wondering whether, after what they did to him, "society" are any better than he is.

On top of this, has he actually changed for the better? He still "wants" to do those things - he just can't, because of the behavioral conditioning. So it becomes about the fact that society considers it's requirements (in this case, for Alex to behave) to be more important than his rights (i.e. to self determination). What was lost on the press at the time was the fact that Kubrick didn't really comment one way or the other - he just left it up to the viewer. Maybe that's what they didn't like - the idea that the viewer was capable of forming their own views on what they were seeing.

i dont get donny darko! i know its got a mad cult following now but i just dont get it :blush:

Yeah your not the only one :uhoh: , just over hyped if you ask me!

Now there's a deep film - there's a million and one ways to interpret it, but ultimately it's about predestination. Had a long argument with some friends about that very topic in a pub not so long ago :D

With I Am Legend (2007) I guess they wanted it to be more acessible to popcorn audiences and the ending less "deep" like in the novel.

Now that really annoyed me. They took all of the meaning, all of the pathos, in the novel, and just flushed it down the toilet so they could show an explosion. The whole point of the title was that he had become 'legend' - a boogeyman that children tell each other horror stories about, who takes family members away in the night (well, the day for them) and conducts horrible experiments on them. Instead, first they populated the place with creatures that looked like they'd been rendered on a 360, and then they went with a shoddy pointless ending.

Edited by MikeDonovan

• 1 month later...

OMG,yes, agreeing with Nightwatch...promised a lot but never delivered!

I don't get David Lynch films either ( especially Lost Highway, the only film I have ever slept through and when I woke up the film was at the same place where I fell asleep at). My Hubby loves them though.

• Moderators

Blade Runner. I think it was built up but my friends and people said it was the must see sci fi film ever. I really just did not get it. Star Wars any day for me

They're two very different sci-fi movies. I can understand people preferring Star Wars as there's a lot more action, and the characters are more easily accessible etc. I feel Blade Runner is a bit more thought provoking, and certainly not on the level of SW in terms of being a mainstream movie.

I love Blade Runner for the cinematography and film noir style, and the deeper storyline themes etc. If you're not into those sorts of things then it's not a movie that'll have an impact on you in the way it does many fans. It's the same with something like Metropolis which isn't entirely gripping and memorable other than the visual style it achieved.

They're two very different sci-fi movies. I can understand people preferring Star Wars as there's a lot more action, and the characters are more easily accessible etc. I feel Blade Runner is a bit more thought provoking, and certainly not on the level of SW in terms of being a mainstream movie.

I love Blade Runner for the cinematography and film noir style, and the deeper storyline themes etc. If you're not into those sorts of things then it's not a movie that'll have an impact on you in the way it does many fans. It's the same with something like Metropolis which isn't entirely gripping and memorable other than the visual style it achieved.

I see what you saying i just expected more from it. I think if i watched it when it came out and not just last week for the first time then i would like it i think. :D

• 2 weeks later...

A new addition

IRON MAN

Sure Downy Jr is great but it had to go and end with the regulation big boss showdown.

I grow tired of good origin stories being ruined by moviemakers who dont know how to end superhero flicks.

Its been a problem since SUPERMAN THE MOVIE and that stuff with the Dam.

I love Superhero movies its just the final third in an origin movie is always pretty much a let down.

So ill add Iron Man because i dont think as a whole its as good as a lot of people think.

I must agree that the "end" of Iron Man was a tad disappointing with the "big boss showdown", but that wasn't the real ending as they discussion with Nick "Samuel L Jackson" Fury was the end for me as it was the beginning of some good films for Marvel int he coming years.

IRON MAN

Sure Downy Jr is great but it had to go and end with the regulation big boss showdown.

I didnt mind that - what I did mind was the last line, "I am Iron Man" which then cut to the Black Sabbath song...it was like they just HAD to reference it didn't they!!! It was already in the trailer, wasnt that enough?

Edited by nicky

• 3 months later...