best celeb at giving out autographs

lovbug

Taken from BBC website today:

Actor Johnny Depp has been named Hollywood's best celebrity at giving out autographs.

The 44-year-old has topped the list for 10 Best Hollywood Signers in Autograph magazine for the third year in a row.

"Though soft-spoken and laid-back, he likes to talk to fans and get to know them while signing," said autograph dealer Anthony Risi.

Matt Damon is second on the list and Will Ferrell was voted the worst celebrity at signing autographs.

'Grumpy'

"What's so frustrating about Will Ferrell being the worst autograph signer this past year is that he used to be so nice to fans and collectors and a great signer," said Steve Cyrkin, the magazine's editor and publisher.

TOP FIVE CELEBRITY SIGNERS

1. Johnny Depp

2. Matt Damon

3. George Clooney

4. Jack Nicholson

5. Rosario Dawson

Source: Autograph magazine

Tobey Maguire, Renee Zellweger, Bruce Willis, Teri Hatcher and Scarlett Johansson also appear on the list for the 10 Worst Hollywood Signers.

Russell Crowe, previously on the list of worst signers, has started being nicer to his fans.

"(Crowe) may still be a bit grumpy at times but now he signs pretty much anytime anyone asks," said Cyrkin.

George Clooney, Jack Nicholson, Rosario Dawson, John Travolta, Katherine Heigl, Jay Leno and Dakota Fanning have also earned themselves good reputations for signing autographs.

The magazine compiled the list based on the observations of judges based in Europe, New York and California.

I remember meeting Stefan Dennis (aka Paul Robinson from Neighbours) a few years back and said hello to him and actually called him Stefan. This seemed to surprise him as I think most people said..oh look, it's Paul Robinson from Neighbours.. he was a really nice bloke.

any chance of getting Rosario Dawson to come showmasters?

Looks into crystal ball..

Unfortunately, Rosario has said that she will only come to an event if I put her up for the stay!! I am currently seeing if I can fit her in... :hathor:

Edited by Mr.Jones

I remember meeting Stefan Dennis (aka Paul Robinson from Neighbours) a few years back and said hello to him and actually called him Stefan. This seemed to surprise him as I think most people said..oh look, it's Paul Robinson from Neighbours.. he was a really nice bloke.

I now officially hate you. I love Stefan, I'd give anything to meet anyone from Neighbours!! :'(

(I don't really hate you btw hehe)

Edited by Lizzy

I now officially hate you. I love Stefan, I'd give anything to meet anyone from Neighbours!! :'(

(I don't really hate you btw hehe)

You love me really. Mind you, he had two legs. Those darn storylines!!

Yes, Matt Damon is a signing machine! I met him at the Bourne Ultimatum premiere and despite the rain and big crowd, he kept signing and smiling...

Leonardo DiCaprio is also a VERY good signer (and that's not just because I'm biased)! At the Blood Diamond premiere he signed for the best part of an hour in the freezing January cold! Legend! :YAHOO:

Also great are...

Christian Slater (signed for hours at the BAFTAs a few years ago)

John Hurt (would sign FOREVER if he could)

Vanessa Redgrave (she showed the youngsters how it should be done at the Atonement premiere recently)

Kate Winslet (always has a smile on her face)

...and of course Andy Serkis!

People I've managed to get, but are sometimes quite difficult include Ian McKellen (hoorah!) and Keira Knightley (signed my Pride & Prejudice pic).

The worst signers I've seen have been...

Christina Ricci (didn't seem to want to sign for anyone)

Cate Blanchett (not rude, but doesn't sign a great deal)

Jake Gyllenhaal

The WORST though (in my opinion) was Jude Law who I've found rude on more than one occasion! Grrr ;)

im quite suprised at your experiences with jude and christina - theoden. they were both at toronto film fest last year and signed for quite a few people - i even got a pic with christina when she walking into the cinema. i was shocked at how tiny she is! i suppose it depends on what mood they are in/ weather etc. I'm also suprised sam jackson isn't in the top 5 he always signs loads and is very friendly.

im quite suprised at your experiences with jude and christina - theoden. they were both at toronto film fest last year and signed for quite a few people - i even got a pic with christina when she walking into the cinema. i was shocked at how tiny she is! i suppose it depends on what mood they are in/ weather etc. I'm also suprised sam jackson isn't in the top 5 he always signs loads and is very friendly.

Yeah, I think with Christina it was a combination of the weather and the amount of people screaming her name...she seemed a bit overwhelmed (and freezing!). She certainly wasn't rude though, just didn't sign :D

But yeah, SOOO tiny! She looked like a little cartoon character or something! Bless :P

• 3 weeks later...

from my few experiences, I would have to agree that Johnny Depp is the top man! I went to Charlie Choc Fac and got him twice and also Pirates DMC and got him again yey :(

also found Jessica Alba to be very friendly and signing at the FF 2 prem and wish I'd thought to take along some Dark Angel stuff and she seemed to be signing everything and anything!

I would agree to put Bruce Willis on the worst list, waited at the Die Hard 4 prem for HOURS and he didn't even come to the SIDE of the walkway we were on :D wasn't expecting an auto as I'd been told he gives "high 5s" but didn't come within photo-taking closeness of us at all :uhoh:

surfy sah xx

• 2 weeks later...

Johnny is AMAZING!!!! I have now met him many times at premieres and filming locations (pinewood!!!) and he is just lovely - such a lovely lovely guy

Also great

Leo Dicaperio

Christian Slater

David Tennant

Tom Cruise (Of course!!!!!)

Renee Zellwegger

Not great

Helena Bonham Carter - tried twice now (Sweeny and HP and NOTHING!!!!)

Cate Blanchett - does not sign at all

Lisa

Johnny is AMAZING!!!! I have now met him many times at premieres and filming locations (pinewood!!!) and he is just lovely - such a lovely lovely guy

You are sooooo lucky! And surfy_sah too! I'd love to meet him!

The best, in my experiences:

Johnny Depp

Jack Nicholson

Jessica Alba

Chris Evans (of Fantastic Four, not Billie Piper's ex!)

Orlando Bloom

Leonardo DiCaprio

Kate Winslet

Kylie Minogue

They all went above and beyond at the premieres I met them at, and seemed to genuinely enjoy mixing with their fans.

• 3 weeks later...

The best in my experience was Slayer's Kerry King. I saw him at a music ***** in Birmingham and he was signing stuff for the best part of six hours (over the two days). He signed everything and anything put in front of him.

Edited by rogue_entity

Wow you're lucky, I saw Kerry at the Kerrang Awards a couple of years ago and he wasn't interested in signing at all! Rob Flynn the next year on the other hand was surprisingly lovely.

Anhoo, hands down the best actor I have ever met is John Hurt. Lovely, lovely man, happy to chat, will sign anything and has a beautiful autograph not to mention he is a freakin' legend! Love him.

Wow you're lucky, I saw Kerry at the Kerrang Awards a couple of years ago and he wasn't interested in signing at all! Rob Flynn the next year on the other hand was surprisingly lovely.

Anhoo, hands down the best actor I have ever met is John Hurt. Lovely, lovely man, happy to chat, will sign anything and has a beautiful autograph not to mention he is a freakin' legend! Love him.

Granted I've only met Kerry once, but he made a good impression in regards to fan interaction. Despite his height he looks quite an intimdating fellow - probably why so few people asked him questions during his guitar seminar.

At the end of it I managed to snag his plectrum.

The best, in my experiences:

Chris Evans (of Fantastic Four, not Billie Piper's ex!)

They all went above and beyond at the premieres I met them at, and seemed to genuinely enjoy mixing with their fans.

I'm surprised you say Chris Evans as went to the FF2 prem and he did not come to our side at all, we were opposite the cinema and neither him nor Iowan came within phototaking distance! grrr :D you're lucky if you got him :D

surfy sah xx

Also great

Leo Dicaperio

Christian Slater

David Tennant

Tom Cruise (Of course!!!!!)

Renee Zellwegger

Not great

Helena Bonham Carter - tried twice now (Sweeny and HP and NOTHING!!!!)

Cate Blanchett - does not sign at all

Lisa

Lisa,

My condolences on your experiences with CB & HBC. I have got their autos and found them very pleasant - HBC at Corpse Bride (she signed my clipboard by mistake and resigned the pic with apologies) and she was with us for a while at HP5 and CB at Elizabeth:GA I managed to get her on two photos.

But then again every experience is different - my first Tom Cruise exp went horribly awry as I ended up with lobster arms and no auto despite waiting for 8 hours and only forgave him in time for Lions 4 Lambs - but did end up with a beautiful auto from Dakota.

I'd agree that Johnny Depp is one of the best and Tom Cruise (but that's widely talked about). Andy Serkis was great too.

Toby McGuire wasn't great, all he did when I saw him was shake everyones hand at the Spiderman 3 premier. Orlando Bloom just sped through missing most people out too.

I'd like Kate Winslet, that'd be ACE! I was surprized to get Daniel Day Lewis and Keira Knightly at the Bafta's though!