Talk Time

showmasters

Let it be said that I had no idea who Malcolm McDowell was before he was announced for G-Mex.

...Even after knowing who he is, he's still not a guest I'd like to meet.

I'm not a Star Trek fan and I've not seen any movies he's in.

I also don't like Heroes.

The only reason I'm in this thread is in the vain hope that Showmasters might move the Doctor Who talk to a more 'sensible' time...

Edited by Haruka

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Moderators

I'm not really sure where they CAN move it, looking at the schedule .. it's pretty full.

Sunday's a shorter day, Davison is only attending that day AND doing a photo shoot later.

Something would have to go in that time slot.

Apologies if anyone took offence to my suggestion about Waterloo Station, but how big a blind spot can it be if you think TV/Movies only started in 2000, and compare Icons with actors that once their current shows end might get another job, but would take a lot more exposure to attain a modicum of fame/notoriety that some folks that are allegedly 'small' names have outside in the real world.

Umm... I think what people perhaps are taking offence to is your condescension. So you're a big movie/trivia fan, good for you. Other people aren't. And suggesting that anyone under the age of 30 is a philistine for not knowing about/appreciating older TV or movies (not to mention casting saracastic aspersions about their level of intelligence when confronted with a TV remote and suggesting all they understand is Pokemon!) is actually quite superior and condescending.. and yes, offensive. So what if some people are interested solely in genre TV and have no interest in big name movie stars like Malcolm except where their careers intersect with genre TV? That's their interest, let them enjoy it. Does it hurt you? Does it hurt Malcolm? No. Does it make their preferences or interests any less valid than yours? No.

Personally, I'm in my early 30s and my friend who's coming with me to GMex on Sunday is in her 20s.. and I can pretty much guarantee without even asking her that she probably hasn't even heard of ACO. So her interests are different than mine, her experience and knowledge is different than mine. Do I look down on her because of that? Heck no! Okay so I might tease her about the fact that she's never heard of half the film titles I mention in conversation.. and then I lend her the DVD! ;) And she probably congratulates herself on being far less of a geek than I! :P

Sorry? this forum filled with wonderful folks who could tell you the colour on the snot colour chart of Mark Hamill's snot in each of the original trilogy of Star Wars (it's borderline expected that under 30's might know that there were Star Wars films pre Phantom Menace, as 1985 might be just too early to slot into the canon of 'known' movies on here..) Folks that could quote Withnail and I til Richard E Grant stick his Camberwell Carrot where the sun won't be shining for a long time og the quoter, and folks who get excited about comic strips the not even Comic Book Guy would get excited over in the Simpsons.... Not forgetting those that think it perfectly acceptable to run around with replica weapons in a Shopping Centre just because some character in a decent movie (then Shatner on by turning into a trilogy) does.

And I'm the freakboy because I know of a movie made a year after I was born that was banned, got notoriety because of that, and had another dose of fuss about it when it's director died around the time of Phantom Menace ( Phantom Menace's UK release was the same weekend as Eyes Wide Shut in the US)? Huh? how? When did Jade Goody become Mensa President?

Btw I don't think Malcolm is the best thing since sliced bread. He has played classic parts in classic movies, as well as dodgy crap (Wing Commander PC games? also starring Mark Hamill, if I recall..). I'm looking forward to meeting him and getting his autograph. I doubt I'll be hyperventillating as much as folks will probably do over at the Stargate section, if at all. You just know there'll be a few getting overly eager and excited..

Hey, at least we're not discussing where best to position the buffet or the hors d'oeuvres tables so that the guests can get stared at by fans so they can blog about it.. ;)

Edited by gilgalad70

Sorry? this forum filled with wonderful folks who could tell you the colour on the snot colour chart of Mark Hamill's snot in each of the original trilogy of Star Wars (it's borderline expected that under 30's might know that there were Star Wars films pre Phantom Menace, as 1985 might be just too early to slot into the canon of 'known' movies on here..) Folks that could quote Withnail and I til Richard E Grant stick his Camberwell Carrot where the sun won't be shining for a long time og the quoter, and folks who get excited about comic strips the not even Comic Book Guy would get excited over in the Simpsons.... Not forgetting those that think it perfectly acceptable to run around with replica weapons in a Shopping Centre just because some character in a decent movie (then Shatner on by turning into a trilogy) does.

And I'm the freakboy because I know of a movie made a year after I was born that was banned, got notoriety because of that, and had another dose of fuss about it when it's director died around the time of Phantom Menace ( Phantom Menace's UK release was the same weekend as Eyes Wide Shut in the US)? Huh? how? When did Jade Goody become Mensa President?

Btw I don't think Malcolm is the best thing since sliced bread. He has played classic parts in classic movies, as well as dodgy crap (Wing Commander PC games? also starring Mark Hamill, if I recall..). I'm looking forward to meeting him and getting his autograph. I doubt I'll be hyperventillating as much as folks will probably do over at the Stargate section, if at all. You just know there'll be a few getting overly eager and excited..

Hey, at least we're not discussing where best to position the buffet or the hors d'oeuvres tables so that the guests can get stared at by fans so they can blog about it.. ;)

Nooo... you're the freakboy because you try to suggest (and indeed are *still* trying to suggest) that other people are idiots/simpletons/homeless people/cultural philistines for not knowing about or sharing your level of interest in your particular area of interest. I'm pretty sure the Star Wars snot fanboys (now there's a lovely thought!;)) wouldn't be surprised that other people don't share their level of interest or expect others to or look down on them for not doing so. Hell, I can recite pretty much each line of the entire script of the first X-Men movie before the characters on the screen say it but I don't think other people are idiots because they can't, or because they've never seen the movie or even never heard of the movie. And if I talk to someone who, for example, has never seen Aliens, or The Princess Bride, or Ferris Bueller's Day Off or any one of the thousand other awesome and seminal movies that I love, I don't belittle them for it.. I may tease them a little and I'll certainly tell them what they're missing and that they should definitely watch it.. but I don't assume they are mindless idiots who aren't aware that anything existed before 1987.

Each to his own. Live and let live. And all that jazz. People have their own interests and have no need to justify them to you. You can feel as superior as you like that you're looking forward to meeting Malcolm and getting his autograph but won't be hyperventilating. If that makes you happy, good for you. Personally, I'll be very happily getting (discretely) giddy over at the Stargate section and that suits me just fine. :P

Edited by Alipeeps

No, you're the freakboy because you write stuff like

...til Richard E Grant stick his Camberwell Carrot where the sun won't be shining for a long time og the quoter...

whatever the heck that means! (And yes, I'm quite aware of the Camberwell Carrot reference, it's the stuff after it I'm struggling with.)

Actually, I am most taken with the idea of Og The Quoter though; I figure him for the lead character in a Postgate production - perhaps the tales of the adventures of some wild-haired Welsh bardic fellow; like Noggin the Nog but with Ivor the Engine's accents... ;)

Actually, I am most taken with the idea of Og The Quoter though; I figure him for the lead character in a Postgate production - perhaps the tales of the adventures of some wild-haired Welsh bardic fellow; like Noggin the Nog but with Ivor the Engine's accents... ;)

My name's Og. Og the Quoter. Look you.

:P;)

No, you're the freakboy because you write stuff like

...til Richard E Grant stick his Camberwell Carrot where the sun won't be shining for a long time og the quoter...

whatever the heck that means! (And yes, I'm quite aware of the Camberwell Carrot reference, it's the stuff after it I'm struggling with.)

Actually, I am most taken with the idea of Og The Quoter though; I figure him for the lead character in a Postgate production - perhaps the tales of the adventures of some wild-haired Welsh bardic fellow; like Noggin the Nog but with Ivor the Engine's accents... :crying:

Now now now, we have to keep cultural references to within limits comprehensible (sorry, big word, I forgot...) to the under 30s demographic. Obscure comic books, OK, Top 100 movies ever, not OK. TV shows not shown in this country, OK, Tvs shows and movies shown on terrestrial tv, not OK.

What I actually meant to say was 'up the quoter', as in shoving the 'carrot' where the sun don't shine for quite a long time, and to differentiate who was going to reseive the carrot, and imply the quoter would be the recipient, rather than Grant....

Regardless of whether or not you are desperate to get Malcolm's scribble or not, I hope after all this, you gotta agree he's, in the sphere of things, probably the biggest name announced so far for the show..

Now now now, we have to keep cultural references to within limits comprehensible (sorry, big word, I forgot...) to the under 30s demographic. Obscure comic books, OK, Top 100 movies ever, not OK. TV shows not shown in this country, OK, Tvs shows and movies shown on terrestrial tv, not OK.

And again with the snide insinuations that anyone who doesn't share your opinion - in fact, everyone else on this forum, from the sound of it - is an unintelligent, uncultured, short-sighted teenager who is interested only in subjects that you personally find shallow.

Can you be any more insulting? Geez, if this is your opinion of fans, why the heck are you risking your intellectual superiority by mixing with such rabble at a convention? Won't you get contaminated by the greasy, uneducated masses? :crying:

everyone else on this forum, from the sound of it - is an unintelligent, uncultured, short-sighted teenager who is interested only in subjects that you personally find shallow.

Can you be any more insulting?

If you don't fit any of that description then why worry about what he's saying? I never once thought he might be talking about me cos I do know I'm not one of the uninitiated. It's not concerning me and he's not pointing a finger at me ergo I dont take offence.

Edited by nicky

If you don't fit any of that description then why worry about what he's saying? I never once thought he might be talking about me cos I do know I'm not one of the uninitiated. It's not concerning me and he's not pointing a finger at me ergo I dont take offence.

I guess I just have an issue with people being rude and offensive in general - the "anonymity" of the internet has a lot to answer for. Just cos he's not insulting me, doesn't mean it's acceptable to be insulting. Making sweeping, derogatory comments about the nature of fans on a forum for events that cater specifically to fans seems... shall we say, inappropriate? :headscratch:

Edited by Alipeeps

He's not poking fun at people for not liking what he likes, more so poking fun at them for having no knowledge of what is deemed in pop-culture as highly significant and famous...this is after all a forum for tv and film fans (although the latter is diminishing) so he's kinda saying, "shame on you for not knowing".

I guess I just have an issue with people being rude and offensive in general - the "anonymity" of the internet has a lot to answer for. Just cos he's not insulting me, doesn't mean it's acceptable to be insulting.

Dude, this is the big-bad world of cyberspace, anything goes and people talk $hit because they can. On this forum it's frowned upon big-time cos it's such a small community where most people are familiar with eachother. Other bigger 'boards like imdb are a much bigger community and talking $hit or poking fun is less frowned upon because there are just too many people to keep up with and "punish" plus anonymity by disappearing into the masses (or other 'boards) is so easy.

He's not poking fun at people for not liking what he likes, more so poking fun at them for having no knowledge of what is deemed in pop-culture as highly significant and famous...this is after all a forum for tv and film fans (although the latter is diminishing) so he's kinda saying, "shame on you for not knowing".

See now poking fun I am fine with - I have a friend in her 20s with whom I regularly have conversations that involve me referencing a film or TV show or famous person and she saying "What?/Who?" and me expressing disbelief - "What? How can you not have heard of...xxxxx?" and teasing her about it. That, however, is teasing between friends and is taken as good-natured by both parties...

Now maybe I'm just completely misreading gilgalad70 and he is in fact merely poking gentle, sarcastic fun at folks who aren't au fait with more classic pop-culture but it sure doesn't read that way when he constantly insinuates that such people are unintelligent, comparing them to Jade Goody or homeless people (and since when are homeless people automatically unintelligent?), shallow, ill-educated etc, and makes sweeping generalisations that all people under the age of 30 are this way... and that there is something wrong with not being a pop-culture buff.

I guess my point is, people are different, everyone has different interests and why should they be judged for that? Why should one set of interests be any "better" than another? I know nothing about anime and am really not remotely interested in it.. but I don't look down on people who are into anime.. regardless of whether they also like e.g. classic genre movies or not.

Dude, this is the big-bad world of cyberspace, anything goes and people talk $hit because they can. On this forum it's frowned upon big-time cos it's such a small community where most people are familiar with eachother. Other bigger 'boards like imdb are a much bigger community and talking $hit or poking fun is less frowned upon because there are just too many people to keep up with and "punish" plus anonymity by disappearing into the masses (or other 'boards) is so easy.

And just because people can and do behave that way, still doesn't mean it is or should be acceptable. People can walk up to you in the street and swear at you, doesn't mean they should or that it should be perceived as ok to do so.

That's what I meant about the anonymity of the internet - because they can't be seen or identified, people seem to feel they can behave in ways they would never do in person. If that wasn't the case, boards like this and others wouldn't need Mods. :headscratch:

• Moderators

Why do you assume that people aren't film fans just because not many post in the TV/Film section?

You clearly realise that this isn't the only forum on the Internet, and so people DO post elsewhere. It's a quiet section, but it doesn't mean people aren't fans. The fact that there are dedicated forums on pretty much all subjects given a section on THIS forum means that a lot of people post on other ones, and in journal communities etc, and don't bother on here apart from a few topics. I'd hardly say any of the TV/Film related sections are thriving compared to other forums - I myself post on Digital Spy, some movie sites, and other more specific Lost, Prison Break and Heroes forums etc. They're just busier.

The event sections of this forum are the primary focus of discussion etc which is to be expected, but I'd try not to judge peoples knowledge based on how many posts there are in the TV/Film section please. It does come across as quite derogatory and condescending (not that you MEAN for it to be, you just mention it a lot!).

Anyway it's nice to have a mix between casual fans and those that are more into it, and study the subject matter etc. It's a bit weird to assume that people SHOULD know certain things. We're not all the same.

It could just be me but poking fun and teasing is fine - if you know and get along with the person you are teasing

If you dont know them then comments by gilgalad70 are, as far I'm concerned, unacceptable and inflammatory (not to mention rude and abusive). As has been noted already, anonymity on the internet is abused by people cos they know they cant be traced. They think abusing people is clever and somehow think that their opinion is worth more on a forum.

I'm a frequent poster on IMDb, there are alot worse goings on over there but it still doesn't make it right.

Edited by Grazer

I'm a frequent poster on IMDb, there are alot worse goings on over there but it still doesn't make it right.

That's actually one of the reasons why I like it - it's a politically incorrect no holds barred free-for-all!! Only the strongest will survive!

I just see it as taking the pi$$, people do it all the time when people say something dumb...even in real life, they at least think it. Anyway, these are complete strangers and nobodies - why should we care so much and feel insulted? Just don't take it so personal and move on, $hit happens. :unsure::headscratch:

Edited by nicky

That's actually one of the reasons why I like it - it's a politically incorrect no holds barred free-for-all!! Only the strongest will survive!

I just see it as taking the pi$$, people do it all the time when people say something dumb...even in real life, they at least think it. Anyway, these are complete strangers and nobodies - why should we care so much and feel insulted? Just don't take it so personal and move on, $hit happens. :wub::headscratch:

Guess I'm an idealist. I believe in debating topics without having to resort to insults, snide remarks and general ridicule.

We're all here for the same reason. Lets just get along........group hug!!!! :WINCE::unsure::poki:

I just see it as taking the pi$$, people do it all the time when people say something dumb...even in real life, they at least think it. Anyway, these are complete strangers and nobodies - why should we care so much and feel insulted? Just don't take it so personal and move on, $hit happens. :unsure::headscratch:

And therein lies the problem. Not knowing an actor is 'dumb'. That's not something that anyone should think or be excusing others for thinking.