Talk Time

showmasters

I take it, Psychosis, you were either on Adrian's or Malcolm's line today (Sat). If so, I kept popping by with stuff for Malcolm. Who, I understood, was slightly peeved at folks constantly asking about Heroes, and nothing much before that.

I know that Michael liked seeing the pressbook for Clockwork Orange, even pointing himself out in the background of one of the thumbnail images therein.

Maybe it's being presumptive, but if you are going to get into an argument over who is the 'biggest' guest, it's fairly good idea to have an idea of exactly how big you fave's competitors are. Yes Lance has a good film history (Close Encounters being his second flick, plus Aliens, Alien 3 etc...) To claim no knowledge of the star of four of the most controversial movies of the past 40 years, one of which is a movie that regularly hits amongst the top spots of all time movies, and then suggest the likes of Craig Charles is a bigger star because you're a fan of his, is bigger... somehow fails any objectivity.

For those that watched the cosplay thing. I was intrigued how many Manga or Manga-esque characters were portrayed. I'm not sure if Slave-girl Leia and her posse were in that, as I decided tocheck it out midway through, I guess.

The Jade Goody references. You might remember, but I seem to recall that Jade was made 'national sweetheart' for some reason because of her lack of general knowledge (East Angular being abroad, being one of the better quotes). This is a movie forum, is it not too much to ask for to think that posters might have some level of the genre that is film / TV? Or can I forsee the day we get posters on here suggesting that Spielberg is somehow a lesser guest than star du jour because 'I've seen a film of his, and I'm not interested in his films, but fanboy of fly-by-night'. And therefore rate star-du-jour higher up the scale than Spielberg...

Maybe I do mock, maybe I'm filled with the incredulity of it all, and maybe some of the comparisons are a little OTT. When I referred to this spat with a few dealers, they commented that 'well, they are all 15 yr olds on there... what do you expect? Perhaps checking out the guestlists for some of the US shows like Chiller might broaden your perspectives. They manage to get guests from shows from probably back even to the 1960s on a regular basis, most of which are completely unknown to this person, but I'm sure over there, attract a steady stream of fans who don't always forget anything over 5 years ago. I'm not requesting 99.9% of these guys do the next MK, as it might just be the dustbowl Collectormania if done overnight... :thumbup:

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

if you are going to get into an argument over who is the 'biggest' guest, it's fairly good idea to have an idea of exactly how big you fave's competitors are. Yes Lance has a good film history
I think it's just that some people didn't know much about MM is all and so obviosly didnt know he was that big a guest.:(

For those that watched the cosplay thing. I was intrigued how many Manga or Manga-esque characters were portrayed.
SM events have never really catered for the Manga/anime fan much guest-wise so I've been surprised at this too. They are usually seen at that other London con but I guess recently they just like to go to this purely for the cosplay opportunity.

This is a movie forum, is it not too much to ask for to think that posters might have some level of the genre that is film / TV?
I've said that a couple of times too - it's pretty normal and a given for people who have such a passion about coming to FILM & TV cons and post on it's forum to at least have heard of certian significant/historic/classic things BUT I do understand that people only like what they like and have little interest in anything else...eg. I know all about films but near zilch about today's TV.

Maybe I do mock, maybe I'm filled with the incredulity of it all, and maybe some of the comparisons are a little OTT. When I referred to this spat with a few dealers, they commented that 'well, they are all 15 yr olds on there... what do you expect?
Nothing wrong with gentle mocking and poking fun IMO - it's the cruel big bad world of the internet and $h!t happens everywhere but you need to understand this is a small community and so you'll be remembered for "being mean" cos some people here aren't very thick-skinned and are very PC/idealists...esp the 15 yr olds (which obviously was a sarcastic exaggeration by the dealers?). On much bigger and older orientated forums like imdb, if anyone says anything dumb they do get the pi$$ taken out of them without mercy but nobody ever says, "you shouldn't say that or be so mean" like thay would here - difference being the size of the community and ages I guess.

This forum is the most PC, clean, prim and proper that I've ever come across, remember the storm caused by the April Fools John Candy announcment? You just need to be careful.

Edited by nicky

Who, I understood, was slightly peeved at folks constantly asking about Heroes, and nothing much before that.

do you make things like this up in your head?? while i was waiting in the que for malcom loads of people were asking about heroes and he seemed more than happy to chat about it! i was there for his role in tank girl, he was quite happy when i brought the poster over - but he never turned round to me and said " oh thank god, id had enough of heroes!" :blush:

i don't mind gentle mockery in fact nickys comments make me laugh out loud a lot of the time but you are just be annoying for the sake of it! :YAHOO:

Edited by fugaziuk

I take it, Psychosis, you were either on Adrian's or Malcolm's line today (Sat). If so, I kept popping by with stuff for Malcolm. Who, I understood, was slightly peeved at folks constantly asking about Heroes, and nothing much before that.

Understandable. Which is why I didn't go to see Malcolm at all for that very reason (yes, I was in Adrian's line!)

Maybe it's being presumptive, but if you are going to get into an argument over who is the 'biggest' guest, it's fairly good idea to have an idea of exactly how big you fave's competitors are. Yes Lance has a good film history (Close Encounters being his second flick, plus Aliens, Alien 3 etc...) To claim no knowledge of the star of four of the most controversial movies of the past 40 years, one of which is a movie that regularly hits amongst the top spots of all time movies, and then suggest the likes of Craig Charles is a bigger star because you're a fan of his, is bigger... somehow fails any objectivity.

Never argued that Lance is bigger. And I'm hoping you're not referring to me with Craig Charles, because I've never heard of him before this week either :eek:

The Jade Goody references. You might remember, but I seem to recall that Jade was made 'national sweetheart' for some reason because of her lack of general knowledge (East Angular being abroad, being one of the better quotes). This is a movie forum, is it not too much to ask for to think that posters might have some level of the genre that is film / TV? Or can I forsee the day we get posters on here suggesting that Spielberg is somehow a lesser guest than star du jour because 'I've seen a film of his, and I'm not interested in his films, but fanboy of fly-by-night'. And therefore rate star-du-jour higher up the scale than Spielberg...

The main character's actor of a movie banned before most forum members were born is not 'general knowledge'. Spielberg is a household name, and frankly it's laughable to suggest that MMD is.

Ok, you didn't know who Craig Charles is? Do you not watch Corrie? Do you not read 'quality' papers like the Sun and the Mirror, or just the trashy ones like the Times and Telegraph? :YAHOO: Did you never watch Robot Wars? Craig Charles has been in the papers for all sorts of things in his past, falsified rape, drugs, u name it, he's probably been accused of it somewhere, plus I understand he's a current Corrie actor. Don't watch Corrie, but still have an idea who's in it. Sort of general knowledge, a starter question on Millionaire, even a starter question on a Chris Moyles quiz.

I believe that Malcolm is professional enough not to tell Joe Public that he only wants questions about X series or film. I was of the understanding he was a bit bored towards the end of Saturday about Heroes:rest of filmography questions.

I don't think it too improbable that in only a few years, Spielberg won't, sadly, be as household name as he is, or has been.

Can someone ban this person already? People have been banned for being less antagonistic and insulting and it's really starting to irritate me. I DON'T KNOW MALCOLM. Accept it and STOP ATTACKING ME. Jesus bloody christ, I'm not bashing people because they don't know somebody who I think is super duper amazing and perfect.

First you compare me to a homeless person, Jade Goody, and all manner of other things, just because I don't know something you deem as 'too intellectual' for me, now you're insulting me because I have no interest in tabloids and soaps. There is nothing you can accept is there?

Edited by Psychosis

• Moderators

I'm pretty sure people should have slightly better things to be doing at 1am than sitting on here trying to wind others up.

Unless this 'discussion' is going anywhere (which apparently it's not), I'd suggest just leaving it please.

Not everyone knows every single movie star or television star, and to be honest who really cares? I certainly don't. I have my favourite stars to meet that others haven't even heard of. It's just what happens, so give it a rest.

I doubt Malcolm McDowell cares, so I don't see why anyone else should.

laughable that MMD is? Im assuming you mean Malcolm McDowell? I find it extremely laughable that you think he isnt a household name.Infact Psychosis i find quite a lot of your posts and opinions extremely laughable.I still cant quite believe you dont know who he is.Unbelievable.

And oh yeah i was glad to see all those bowler hats and orange t shirts with the clockwork style font on them......Did you wear one Psycho sis? lol.

I didn't say that he's not a valid star in his own right. But when we say household names, we're saying biggest of the big - Cruise, Pitt, Jolie, Spielberg, etc etc etc. People that from all walks of life know from all forms of media, not just the people who have a huge interest in cult movies/shows etc.

Apologies, David, for being out earlier in the day, and only being able to post at 1am. I acknowledge there are many actors/actresses out there and no one is expected to have perfect knowledge. However that differs from general knowledge. How, when you started watching X tv show, did u know this was the one for you, and blinker yourself to any other show/film? I personally am a fan of LOTR, and many other things. Many other things such as the majority of Manga and comics generally are alien to me, but I hope I have a general base to work from. I'm sorry if having a general base that Harry Knowles would laugh at is considered expert, and using general knowledge is considered arrogant. I must remember to tone down any cultural refs to the span of a Mayfly, and refrain from anticipation of much rudimentary knowledge of the subject. Even when Trek 101 refs are considered unusual, to self-confessed Trekkies.......

I find it very strange that certain people think that it is a given or a must that posters must have a certain knowledge of films or tv. Bec likes who she likes. Graeme likes who he likes. Nicky likes who he likes. The age range on here is as diverse as the upbringing. Not everyone was fortunate or unfortunate enough to see certain films or tv shows. I used to have a limited viewing range until I decided to widen it on recommendations. I now find it very difficult to watch everything and have a backlog on my table waiting to be watched.

If Psychosis chooses to widen her range, then it will be her choice. But she shouldn't be berated for it.

I didn't say that he's not a valid star in his own right. But when we say household names, we're saying biggest of the big - Cruise, Pitt, Jolie, Spielberg, etc etc etc. People that from all walks of life know from all forms of media, not just the people who have a huge interest in cult movies/shows etc.

And for someone of Psychosis's age, the acting and directing talent she has listed is relevant to her era.

Honestly, my range is pretty wide. It's just not the kind of 'wide' that stretches to a movie banned around or before the time that I was born that I don't wish to view by breaking the law.

And for someone of Psychosis's age, the acting and directing talent she has listed is relevant to her era.

Thanks for that post. But I must add, I checked with my mother and grandfather first, and that was the list of 'household names' that they gave me, lmao. Well, that and Frank Sinatra and co, but I figured I'd stick with living/active people.

Honestly, my range is pretty wide. It's just not the kind of 'wide' that stretches to a movie banned around or before the time that I was born that I don't wish to view by breaking the law.

Thanks for that post. But I must add, I checked with my mother and grandfather first, and that was the list of 'household names' that they gave me, lmao. Well, that and Frank Sinatra and co, but I figured I'd stick with living/active people.

That is why I said "widen" Bec.

I posted as I felt it wrong that you were being berated for your choices.

And Frankie is a legend. I love his music. I am a total Rat Pack Freak...

laughable that MMD is? Im assuming you mean Malcolm McDowell? I find it extremely laughable that you think he isnt a household name.Infact Psychosis i find quite a lot of your posts and opinions extremely laughable.I still cant quite believe you dont know who he is.Unbelievable.

And oh yeah i was glad to see all those bowler hats and orange t shirts with the clockwork style font on them......Did you wear one Psycho sis? lol.

I know Malcolm is a very well known and respected actor and i was personally honoured to meet him but i wouldn't just expect a lot of the slightly younger members of this forum(of which Psychosis is one of)to know who he is,and neither does it matter if she does, to you or anyone else.....i don't find anything she says laughable and she is far from stupid i can assure you.I find a lot of your posts single-minded and un-sympathetic to anyone elses opinions or preferences but i don't feel the need to call everything you say laughable so enough is enough.....Try putting your brain in gear before you speak in future.Instead of opening your mouth and then apologising afterwards all the time :YAHOO:

Edited by Captain_Kronos

I doubt Malcolm McDowell cares, so I don't see why anyone else should.

I like to think he's laughing his ass off from reading this, just imagine!! Shame on you Malcolm for causing so much trouble! :YAHOO::D

Edited by nicky

Ok.I do accept other peoples opinions.I never realised she was this young and id hope she never took any offence to anythin i ever said.Also Psychosis,you wouldnt be breaking the law by viewing the film.It was NEVER BANNED.Just withdrawn from circulation.Ive only ever apologised incase ive offended anyone.I will not apologise for my opinions.

I know Malcolm is a very well known and respected actor and i was personally honoured to meet him but i wouldn't just expect a lot of the slightly younger members of this forum(of which Psychosis is one of)to know who he is,and neither does it matter if she does, to you or anyone else.....i don't find anything she says laughable and she is far from stupid i can assure you.I find a lot of your posts single-minded and un-sympathetic to anyone elses opinions or preferences but i don't feel the need to call everything you say laughable so enough is enough.....Try putting your brain in gear before you speak in future.Instead of opening your mouth and then apologising afterwards all the time :P

I only know who he is because I am a fan of Star Trek and remember him from Generations, but I did have to be reminded of who he was as if it wasn't for seeing a pic of the character he played I would not have known it was him.

I agree there are some guests that I would not expect younger people to know of, especially if they are not a fan of the shows that person has been in like for example the shows that Malcolm has been in.

And as my friends have told me a guest is only as big as you think they are, for example Malcolm may be a big named guest to you and me, but to someone who doesn’t know who he is and doesn't want to see him he's no bigger then the second guy on the right in some shot in some show that was on a while ago.

Its also nice to read how excited some people get when a guest is announced. I'm not into Horror but when George A Romero was announced for another event some people seemed over the moon with this announcement, yet I couldn't give a rats as** about him as he isn't that big a guest to me

Everyone’s different and that’s great, it would be awful if everyone going to these events only wanted to see the same guests, because not only would the queues be longer for said guests but as they say, variety is the spice of life. Plus it would be boaring as hell if the same 30 guests came to every show, think of how much money showmasters would loose.

:YAHOO:

LLAP :D

I find it extremely laughable that you think he isnt a household name. I still cant quite believe you dont know who he is.Unbelievable.

I don't think he's a household name nor that it's unbelievable that people hear don't know who he is. In fact I'm actually surprised you think he's that big, Graeme. I can name check A Clockwork Orange, Caligula, Star Trek: Generations, Blue Thunder, Tank Girl, Gangster Number 1, Heroes, Time After Time and Halloween of which only 'Orange has made a cultural impact worth remembering (maybe Caligula at a stretch).

I'm sorry if having a general base that Harry Knowles would laugh at is considered expert

If people don't know who MM is I kinda doubt they'd know who a fat ginger beared geek in a Hawiaan shirt is.

Edited by nicky

I find it extremely laughable that you think he isnt a household name. I still cant quite believe you dont know who he is.Unbelievable.

I don't think he's a household name nor that it's unbelievable that people hear don't know who he is. In fact I'm actually surprised you think he's that big, Graeme. I can name check A Clockwork Orange, Caligula, Star Trek: Generations, Blue Thunder, Tank Girl, Gangster Number 1, Heroes, Time After Time and Halloween of which only 'Orange has made a cultural impact worth remembering (maybe Caligula at a stretch).

I'm sorry if having a general base that Harry Knowles would laugh at is considered expert

If people don't know who MM is I kinda doubt they'd know who a fat ginger beared geek in a Hawiaan shirt is.

Actually, I was referring to his being more of a movie geek/fanboy reputation rather than what his wardrobe looks like. And also that knowing about Clockwork Orange (again, only voted in the top 100 all timers a few times, so not THAT well known) makes a person a movie expert.. Whereas Tank Girl....

I know SM don't like mentions of other shows, but to ignore them personally? Like, how many shows near Dudley has Craig Charles done? I would give a more accurate location, but it'd come out as asterisks.

Btw DavidB? why didn't you have a go at those who posted at 3.30am, I only posted at 1am...

Apologies, David, for being out earlier in the day, and only being able to post at 1am. I acknowledge there are many actors/actresses out there and no one is expected to have perfect knowledge. However that differs from general knowledge. How, when you started watching X tv show, did u know this was the one for you, and blinker yourself to any other show/film? I personally am a fan of LOTR, and many other things. Many other things such as the majority of Manga and comics generally are alien to me, but I hope I have a general base to work from. I'm sorry if having a general base that Harry Knowles would laugh at is considered expert, and using general knowledge is considered arrogant. I must remember to tone down any cultural refs to the span of a Mayfly, and refrain from anticipation of much rudimentary knowledge of the subject. Even when Trek 101 refs are considered unusual, to self-confessed Trekkies.......

Oh give it a rest. I think by now we all know that you're massively underwhelmed by the level of knowledge of films from the last millennium displayed by many users on this forum. And by dog we all know that you think that you know rather more than the average bear. And indeed you probably do. Now that we're all clear on that, do you think that we can take it all as read, and not have to be reminded of it by some new sneering remark in any of your future posts? It's tediously irritating to somebody like me who might well pass your minimum level of knowledge requirement, and given the rather young age range of many of the posters here, it does smack of intimidation or even bullying under the barely acceptable veil of intellectual snobbery.

Frankly, if you think that so many of the posters here are unworthy of sharing board-space with you, might I suggest that it's a big wide world web out there, and I'm sure you could find another forum peopled by posters with a level of knowledge you would consider more appropriate.

(For the record, yes I do know who Malcolm McDowell is, and I have seen A Clockwork Orange numerous times over the last 15 years, and I'm not impressed by it. To be honest i prefer the "Mick Travis" trilogy, or even Cat People, of his work.)

That is why I said "widen" Bec.

I posted as I felt it wrong that you were being berated for your choices.

And Frankie is a legend. I love his music. I am a total Rat Pack Freak...

Wow, by the rules of 'You only know stuff done within your lifetime, and it has to have been REALLY big too!' as applied here, you must be well ancient....! :smile: Shame even Lawford's died now. Bet even a ref to Brat pack movies would be met with blank looks here..

I didn't "have a go" at anyone, and that time was when I was around.

So which personality was it that said

I'm pretty sure people should have slightly better things to be doing at 1am than sitting on here trying to wind others up'

Jessica or Nikki? Or the other alter ego they have that skips off to LA in ep22?