CM12 Photo Sessions

Deap

I was just wondering what the CM12 photo sessions were like, as LFCC busted me this year I can only go for one day to CM12 and before I go I want to know if the Photo Sessions were like they were at LFCC with the plain blue background and a camera top flash or if they had gone back to the studio lighting they used to use?

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, they are. That same harsh flash that's capable of producing grotesque disfigurements in the faces of the most flawless people.

Well, I wont be buying any photo sessions this time then, why have they changed the studio lighting was so much better!

Is it to cut costs or is there actually a valid reason why they aren't unsing the good stuff??

For what they charge you'd think a bit of decent studio lighting could be used. They do say it's a professional photo session and I'm not aware of any professional (apart from the press) who'd use an on-camera flash. Certainly not for a portrait shot anyway.

Possibly wouldn't keep me away if I really wanted one but it does mean it's not a lot different to any other photo you'd take.

Edited by sugar_mouse

I got mine just because I don't want to pass up the opportunity, but the photographer is really an expert in bringing out the worst in people.

If I had the money I'd probably have gone for it too but if you're going to sell it as a professional shoot, at least get some decent lighting in and make it a professional shoot.

I used to do some photography for a couple of bands, mostly live stuff and there was someone else who they always said made them look fat or old or just weird. When I was working the same shows I could never work out how he managed it as mine looked so different.

Edited by sugar_mouse

I've said it before and I'll keep saying it until they make it better, I had no specific problems with my image I didn't look older or fatter but the flash really showed how thin my hair is getting. I have no problems with the photographer from LFCC he did his job and he looked knackered for what he had done (poor guy) some of the images were poorly cropped, people wernt central and the lighting showed everyone except the perfectly tanned guests as bleached. Its not the worst thing in the world but come on SM It could/should be so much better as time goes on they should be using better equipment, not worse.

It easy to blame the photographer, but the photographer today was fine with the Jewel Photoshoot at C12, and he was checking the images after taken the photos and retaking if there was a problem. I would say that if anyone wasn't quite happy when a photographer takes a photo to ask to have it retaken (and explain politely your reasons, it could be you blinked or wasn't looking or something else) afterall you are paying for the photo.

Yes, better equipment could be used, but the results today looked fine (and I eye-balled the photos on the table) and indeed I was happy with my photo with Jewel - I've had photos taken at other rival events which have had better equipment but the results have been worse.

You have a right to complain if things don't turn out right, but don't complain for the sake of complaining.

Just my 2.4 credits worth

Darin (Zol.)

It easy to blame the photographer,

I wasn't blaming the photographer? I don't even know CM12's photographer and I had only good things to say about the LFCC photographer Its the equipment I have a problem with, Yes its "fine" but its not what some people expect. I read in the FAQ section that the best lighting will be used to ensure the best quality photograph. This is not true. when people are advertising professional photo sessions. they expect more than a professional photographer and an expensive camera.

The flash that is being used is the biggest criticism as I do not believe it is not being used correctly. The mounted flash should never be used direct on a subject the point of it is to light up the ceiling or a wall to have a diffused light source coming from an angle this casts soft shadows on peoples facial features and creates depth on the subject (you) its not meant to be used directly on a person unless its outdoors and the photographer is about 15 to 20 feet away.

I wasn't blaming the photographer? ...

The flash that is being used is the biggest criticism as I do not believe it is not being used correctly. ...

A bit contradictory there - if you have an issue I suggest you raise it with the organiser, maybe you can get a job :D

Darin (Zol.)

Yes, they are. That same harsh flash that's capable of producing grotesque disfigurements in the faces of the most flawless people.

Someones got a high opinon of themselves ;):YAHOO:

Haha! ^_^

I was thinking more of the ACTUAL pretty people. Breathing brings out the worst in me!

I never really thought about the photo sessions, as I always crew the events, and hadn't crewed in that area... untill Saturday.

I was at the front of the queue on Saturday (in fact, if anyone remembers the naughty corner or "my own special little oasis of calm" - that was me...) and got a chance to observe first hand just how hard Malcolm (the photographer) works.

What many people tend to forget is that a camera is a piece of optical equipment, and has to be set up to deal with specific conditions in order to present the best results.

Most people were wearing different colours - giving the camera wildly different results on occasion, as there's simply not enough time to reset the equipment between every single photograph.

I know it's easy to say "But, everyone was wearing black!" or some other gross exaggeration, but that just wasn't the case.

There were many other issues that arised and were resolved through the day, with happy results for both sides in each case.

I'd never really considered what goes into the photoshoots - but I can now testify that I've never seen a team of people (and especially Malcolm - who, an old hand at these things now - knew exactly how to make the process as efficient as possible and needs a medal for the work he put in) who worked as hard at doing a thankless job than the guys and girls trying to make the photo sessions as succesfull as they turned out.

For anyone considering booking a session at the next event and being swayed against it by comments here... these are comments from maybe 6 or 8 people who complain, vs the close to 1000 people who haven't.

At those odds - how can you pass up the opportunity for a professional quality photo with guests like these?

Troy.

I never really thought about the photo sessions, as I always crew the events, and hadn't crewed in that area... untill Saturday.

I was at the front of the queue on Saturday (in fact, if anyone remembers the naughty corner or "my own special little oasis of calm" - that was me...) and got a chance to observe first hand just how hard Malcolm (the photographer) works.

What many people tend to forget is that a camera is a piece of optical equipment, and has to be set up to deal with specific conditions in order to present the best results.

Most people were wearing different colours - giving the camera wildly different results on occasion, as there's simply not enough time to reset the equipment between every single photograph.

I know it's easy to say "But, everyone was wearing black!" or some other gross exaggeration, but that just wasn't the case.

There were many other issues that arised and were resolved through the day, with happy results for both sides in each case.

I'd never really considered what goes into the photoshoots - but I can now testify that I've never seen a team of people (and especially Malcolm - who, an old hand at these things now - knew exactly how to make the process as efficient as possible and needs a medal for the work he put in) who worked as hard at doing a thankless job than the guys and girls trying to make the photo sessions as succesfull as they turned out.

For anyone considering booking a session at the next event and being swayed against it by comments here... these are comments from maybe 6 or 8 people who complain, vs the close to 1000 people who haven't.

At those odds - how can you pass up the opportunity for a professional quality photo with guests like these?

Troy.

:poki:;):o:clap::clap:

Well put

p.s - good seeing you again at the weekend mate :D

LOL and to be fair, the '5 or 6 people who complain' are by and large still going to go and buy them at the next event. Like me.

Whatever it is, something is being done wrong though. The photos I've received from Showmasters are poor in quality compared to those I have received through other organisers. I'll still go, but I'm well within my rights to express dissatisfaction.

Edited by Psychosis

It easy to blame the photographer, but the photographer today was fine with the Jewel Photoshoot at C12, and he was checking the images after taken the photos and retaking if there was a problem. I would say that if anyone wasn't quite happy when a photographer takes a photo to ask to have it retaken (and explain politely your reasons, it could be you blinked or wasn't looking or something else) afterall you are paying for the photo.

Yes, better equipment could be used, but the results today looked fine (and I eye-balled the photos on the table) and indeed I was happy with my photo with Jewel - I've had photos taken at other rival events which have had better equipment but the results have been worse.

You have a right to complain if things don't turn out right, but don't complain for the sake of complaining.

Just my 2.4 credits worth

Darin (Zol.)

Yeh i noticed that he was checking every photo. It made me feel it was worth the price! Also the film was changed when i was there so i had my arm round jewel for about a minuite! She was chatty as well!

Sigh.....

I've been to some cons where photos were done with flash only and some which were done with studio lights. I prefer studio lights myself. In my photo with Kevin Sorbo, he didnt look nearly as good as he did in the flesh (and I noticed the same thing with my Mads Mikkelson photo from LFCC). Something about the harshness of the flash lighting wasn't flattering to these men.

I'd never really considered what goes into the photoshoots - but I can now testify that I've never seen a team of people (and especially Malcolm - who, an old hand at these things now - knew exactly how to make the process as efficient as possible and needs a medal for the work he put in) who worked as hard at doing a thankless job than the guys and girls trying to make the photo sessions as successful as they turned out.

I personally don't like the Photo sessions because I have a bad experience and a poor end result. I know the photographer works hard, He must have had hundreds of pics to take and its hard work taking photographs. I's a semi professional photographer myself and I can only imagine how much the guys back and neck would hurt after one session. not to mention eye strain and finger strain (I know he is only clicking one button you you try taking 1000 shots in an hour and see if you like RSI). Its how "efficient" it is that bothers me. and he is not in a thankless job, I do his job and I get thanks. When I had my photographs I looked around and said thank you to everyone including the photographer.

For me (and I would advise everyone who reads my complaining to go and have a photosession and make up their own minds)The experience for me is not worth £20

I feel I get pushed through like cattle. (Please just slow it down a tad, enough time to look the guest in the eye, say hi "perhaps" and give people enough time to take at least one breath straighten up, smile, ready and <click>) I think that better lighting could be used as the current method is too harsh. The more equipment the is the more variables there are for error so what you put down to increased efficiency I just say reduces quality. I don't think the sessions are worth what I am asked to pay for them so I don't have them.

Apparently there are only 7 or 8 people who come here and complain opposed to the 1000's who are happy, now come on this is a gross understatement. I'm not saying its more like 100 or 500 I just don't know and neither do you. consider that a good percentage of people who have a photo (especially those whose 1st event this is) don't even use the forums. My partner does not like her photos and neither do 2 lady's who were in the James Kyson Lee queue with me who never use "the computery things" So several of us voice the opinion here but I haven't seen many people say "my photo was perfect it was exactly what I expected and think it is totally worth the money". I don't want to start a flame war of any kind but it seems that most of the people who paid for the photo sessions are complaining that It wasn't good enough and the ones who are saying it is worth it are SM crew who worked it. I'm honestly not just trying to blame SM crew and having us all take sides.

I don't want to get into percentages or number of happy customers but no matter how many there are the 7 or 8 of us who are critiquing should still have an opposing side of 7 or 8 people telling us they had a great experience and are more than happy with their results.

This isn't happening the majority of people here are not completely satisfied with what they have and should be taken seriously when pointing out flaws instead of just being given info about how hard the photographer has worked.