CM12 Photo Sessions

Deap

For me, I only have 2 generalised problems with photoshoots:

The size of them is too small really compared to what you get at other events

And they dont come back signed.

But I dont complain and I keep getting them because I know theres obvious reasons for those 2 shortfalls (cost and printing time for larger photos, and simply no time to get the guests to sign every photoshoot too).

Other than that im happy.

I had photoshoots with Chris and Micheal, now I could have gone up to them and asked for a posed photo as they were both doing them on friday, but yes it cost more money, but I was willing to pay out for a photoshoot that I know would be done nicely rather than take up time at the guests table, wait for someone to figure out my camera or cameraphone (you'd be surprised how many people cant push a big button, even my friends who ive taught to use my equipment many times lol) and risk it being blurred, and I like to pay extra then most of the time for a signature on it too.

Met Erick Avari pretty late sunday while he had no que at all, my photo was average as my friend isnt very good at taking photos lol, but not critisising her as when we swapped, the first photo I took of her with the same camera was blurred and im considered very good with a camera. If it had been a busy guest, we would have held things up while we reset and repositioned for the 2nd photo, which I think came out very good.

My point is, photoshoots are still better than over the table shots or no photo at all, no matter what type of camera/flash is used.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Getting the photos back signed is not something that will ever be done at a signing event, there just simply isnt any time available for it to happen. It's not even done at all weekend conventions, I've only had them back signed once at a con myself. I actually prefer not to have them signed and then to have the option of getting them signed more 'personally' if I want to.

(you'd be surprised how many people cant push a big button, even my friends who ive taught to use my equipment many times lol

Its so true, eveyone know how to use a camera but they always ask or fail when tryine

My point is, photoshoots are still better than over the table shots or no photo at all, no matter what type of camera/flash is used.

That's the other thing I wanted to say but got cramp after my Essay. the photoshoots are much better than an over the table shot, The photoshoots aren't bad in my opinion they're just not as good as they could be, especially for what I pay for them.

It's not even done at all weekend conventions, I've only had them back signed once at a con myself.

Ive been doing cons for about 7 years now, from what I can remember, unless ive specifically asked not to have the photoshoot signed before getting it back, ive had them signed at every one ive been too, unless it hasnt been possible such as at one con Morena Baccarin was only there for 1 day so she couldnt sign them, and I got it signed finally at a con earlier this month.

The photoshoots aren't bad in my opinion they're just not as good as they could be, especially for what I pay for them.

Yep I agree with that. Especially when its £20-£25 a pop..guess we can only wait and see what the future holds.

I feel I get pushed through like cattle. (Please just slow it down a tad, enough time to look the guest in the eye, say hi "perhaps" and give people enough time to take at least one breath straighten up, smile, ready and <click>) I think that better lighting could be used as the current method is too harsh. The more equipment the is the more variables there are for error so what you put down to increased efficiency I just say reduces quality. I don't think the sessions are worth what I am asked to pay for them so I don't have them.

I'm confused now - going from your first post you said you wouldn't be getting any photos and then you are saying you said thanks to the photographer and everyone? So did you actually get photo session tickets for C12 now or not?

From what I read here you had one shot done at LFACC and didn't like it. That's fair enough. But as it has been explained the first time when you made a thread about your dissatisfaction with photo sessions, LFACC were special circumstances with the light, the crowds and everything.

C12 was much better, just like ptenbob said. Malcolm double checked every photo and rather took two or even three to make sure everything was okay. And the only rushed photo shoot I had experienced (and I did a lot of them this time) was James Kyson Lee's, and that was simply because he had to rush back to the US.

At no point people were pushed through like cattle during C12. I know it was rushed during some sessions at LFACC, but still it was nowhere near what some other conventions (especially a certain organiser in the US) does.

Getting the photos back signed is not something that will ever be done at a signing event, there just simply isnt any time available for it to happen. It's not even done at all weekend conventions, I've only had them back signed once at a con myself. I actually prefer not to have them signed and then to have the option of getting them signed more 'personally' if I want to.

Exactly.

Getting the pictures back signed is something that is possible at full week end shows, but it will never happen at signing events. The whole situation there is just different. :D

I feel I get pushed through like cattle.

A certain amount of time is allotted per guest - depending on popularity and/or tickets sold.

The guest arrives at their appointed time, then everything runs great.

If, however, the guest is ten minutes late - then the choice becomes either take the same time and go over the allotted time, potentially causing instances where photos don't make it back from the lab before the end of the show - meaning that everyone who wanted to get theirs signed at the event leaves dissapointed...

OR

Do whatever we can to make sure that 200 paying customers get through the shoot in 20 minutes.

THESE FIGURES ARE MADE UP.

As I've said countless times when managing queues, if you had ticket number 1200, you'd be glad that everyone through the day got their autograph as quickly as possible, otherwise you wouldnt have had that chance.

I'm confused now - going from your first post you said you wouldn't be getting any photos and then you are saying you said thanks to the photographer and everyone? So did you actually get photo session tickets for C12 now or not?

From what I read here you had one shot done at LFACC and didn't like it. That's fair enough. But as it has been explained the first time when you made a thread about your dissatisfaction with photo sessions, LFACC were special circumstances with the light, the crowds and everything.

C12 was much better, just like ptenbob said. Malcolm double checked every photo and rather took two or even three to make sure everything was okay. And the only rushed photo shoot I had experienced (and I did a lot of them this time) was James Kyson Lee's, and that was simply because he had to rush back to the US.

At no point people were pushed through like cattle during C12. I know it was rushed during some sessions at LFACC, but still it was nowhere near what some other conventions (especially a certain organiser in the US) does.

Sorry, You're right I wasn't clear, I only Had photos at LFCC not at CM I was thanking the photographer at LFCC but I can see how it looks like I said I was thanking him at CM and clearly that's not the case. the whole cattle thing is regarding the process of walk up to the hand stop walk to guest stop, look at camera <click> check, Ok go. 2 or 3 minutes to check is a bit of an overstatement. there really is a problem if its taking him that long.... :)

I would just prefer enough time to relay and pose but you're never sure when he is ready to take the shot asking you to say cheese or similar ect. there is a reason that photographers as people to do this its to give them a big smile and a natural posture. That's all. I cant really speak of what it was like at C12 as I did not have photos taken I assumed it was like it was at LFCC and although I have been told it was better I have also gotten the impressions that it was not much better.

I want to ask, and i'm not trying to take sides or push your opinion out but are you on the receiving end of a photograph. did you like the rest of us pay £20 - £25 (guessed figure) for a photo? ( I really wanting to be humble in asking this question as iI know how questions like this can be taken the wrong way)

A certain amount of time is allotted per guest - depending on popularity and/or tickets sold.

The guest arrives at their appointed time, then everything runs great.

If, however, the guest is ten minutes late - then the choice becomes either take the same time and go over the allotted time, potentially causing instances where photos don't make it back from the lab before the end of the show - meaning that everyone who wanted to get theirs signed at the event leaves dissapointed...

OR

Do whatever we can to make sure that 200 paying customers get through the shoot in 20 minutes.

THESE FIGURES ARE MADE UP.

As I've said countless times when managing queues, if you had ticket number 1200, you'd be glad that everyone through the day got their autograph as quickly as possible, otherwise you wouldn't have had that chance.

Its the whole Quantity Vs Quality over Time argument, Isn't It. The more you do in the less time the poorer the quality Or the more the Quality and Quantity the more Time It takes ect.

I personally think that the hosts of this event should have some rough guidelines of how many people can get through a certain thing in a certain time, have some figures to back this up and balance it so everyone gets the same opportunity to get the best experience. categorize the guests see how much time it would take each one to sign for or have a photo with 100 people and then start limiting the amount of people who can get in o see or have a photo with that guest.

the more people you try to get through in the same time the more each persons quality of an experience drops. surely its better to have 800 photos of ecstatic customers than 1000 where 500 are unhappy with a rushed experience (GUESSED FIGURES)

It would be better for the attendees anyway. if a guest has 1 hour to do a photo session, have a maximum amount of people you can see in an hour and stop selling tickets if its over that amount instead of trying to get more through in the same time.

If the balance goes more towards quality I will get more photos, I can understand the reasons why the balance is more towards quantity both from a business point of view and from attendees point of view. I have had a bad experience wih the photographs but the general opinion is "they're OK and they'll do" which is totally fine too.

To each, his or her own. As they say

Edited by Deap

The photo sessions at C12 were very different to those at LFCC. Please dont assume anything.

Photos cost £15 each, not £20 or £25 for starters.

Plus this time Malcolm had time to take lots of additional pics to make sure they were perfect. I got back 3 for Kevin Sorbo and 2 for James Kyson Lee, because the lighting etc wasnt perfect in some. He thanked each person as they went through and seemed much more relaxed, even in James's session which was in the end more rushed than the others because James had to leave straight after.

Deap... I honestly can't remember how it was at LFACC, but at C12 Malcolm definitely said something when he was taking the shot.

I'm not sure, how much time do you consider enough to say you were "not herded through like cattle?" A photo session is still about getting a picture with the guest, not about telling the guest the story of your life. ;) I am honestly not sure what you expect, or what you are trying to say.

You're not the first one to ask something like if I actually pay for my pictures and such. I'm aware that some people think moderators do get free stuff.

So to answer your question. Yes, I do pay for all of my photo sessions and all of my autographs, just like every other attendee does. :lol: I am not entitled to any freebies simply because I am a moderator.

I've had some pictures during the sessions that I wasn't very happy with either - I wish my Brandon Routh photo from C10 was better for example. But now I know better than to wear that shirt again for a photo shoot. Malcolm is good, but even he can't do miracles with certain colours. ;) And my photo with Helen Slater this time is a little dark. But sh*t happens.

The photo shoots were between 15 and 20 pounds by the way. Photo session tickets never were more expensive than 20 pounds.

I personally think that the hosts of this event should have some rough guidelines of how many people can get through a certain thing in a certain time, have some figures to back this up and balance it so everyone gets the same opportunity to get the best experience. categorize the guests see how much time it would take each one to sign for or have a photo with 100 people and then start limiting the amount of people who can get in o see or have a photo with that guest.

The photo tickets are limited, to 400 if I recall correctly.

Still, often even this number is too low for the demand. I saw at least 2 people trying to buy tickets from people in the queue at the Heroes shoots at LFACC because the tickets were sold out.

Showmasters are working on improving the process all the time, and as it has been frequently said here, things got better at C12. You can not judge the current situation on one bad experience you had during an exceptional event.

As you say "to each his own" - but please do not criticise something based on outdated information.

Edited by Queen_Sindel

Sorry, You're right I wasn't clear, I only Had photos at LFCC not at CM I was thanking the photographer at LFCC but I can see how it looks like I said I was thanking him at CM and clearly that's not the case. the whole cattle thing is regarding the process of walk up to the hand stop walk to guest stop, look at camera <click> check, Ok go. 2 or 3 minutes to check is a bit of an overstatement. there really is a problem if its taking him that long.... :)

I would just prefer enough time to relay and pose but you're never sure when he is ready to take the shot asking you to say cheese or similar ect. there is a reason that photographers as people to do this its to give them a big smile and a natural posture. That's all. I cant really speak of what it was like at C12 as I did not have photos taken I assumed it was like it was at LFCC and although I have been told it was better I have also gotten the impressions that it was not much better.

I want to ask, and i'm not trying to take sides or push your opinion out but are you on the receiving end of a photograph. did you like the rest of us pay £20 - £25 (guessed figure) for a photo? ( I really wanting to be humble in asking this question as iI know how questions like this can be taken the wrong way)

LFCC was a mad event - everyone who went have said it was insane (including the organizers who admitted lessons will be learned) To base LFCC as your sole point of reference is understandable but a bit harsh given the circumstances - not saying you're wrong, just stating my opinion

I have attended photo sessions at a number of events with different organizers and its all been pretty much the same. Step in, smile, 321 (the photographer says this out loud so you know when the photo is coming) click, walk away get ticket. No fuss cos, in the majority of cases, there just simply isn't the time. The quality of the photos have always been of a high standard (both at CM and over events) and there is very little difference in the quality of photo from different setups that other organizers use. I've always been happy with my photos and think they are worth the money I spend.

SM have 1 hour to get anywhere up to 400 people through, sometimes more. A balance has to be struck between getting the picture right and getting everyone through and getting the guest back to the signing area to carry on signing. Its not an easy balance and its not like guests do multiple shoots and are there for all days and all the attendees will be there on all days.

Its all about p.o.v's aswell. What is rushed to 1 person, isn't rushed to another. What is a good photo to 1, isn't a good photo to another. All I can say is I have had no problems with how all of my photo sessions have gone. Some have been quick (James Marsters for example) others I've had a little bit more time.

The point of this rant is that I have not had a single problem with a SM photo session. Others have, fair enough but I am more than happy to pay the money for a photo shoot ticket if I have the money :lol:

This is just my opinion, I'm not saying anyone is wrong, just voicing my feelings on this

Addition to this:

My mum attended a Showmasters event for the first time on Saturday (bless her) and had 2 photo sessions (1 with Michael, 1 with Chris - 2 of the busiest guests over the weekend) Her face was an absolute treat when she came out but that aside...... ;) She was extremely happy with the whole organization of the shoot. She got to meet the guest, said hello, got her picture, thanked the guest for their time and moved on - ALL DONE INSIDE 10 SECONDS!!

She had no complaints at all with how she was treated by any of the crew (including the photographer) throughout the day - and based on this is thinking about attending future events.

She says congratulations to everyone involved on a near perfect organization of an event (a type of which she had no idea what to expect)

My mum attended a Showmasters event for the first time on Saturday (bless her) and had 2 photo sessions (1 with Michael, 1 with Chris - 2 of the busiest guests over the weekend) Her face was an absolute treat when she came out but that aside...... ;) She was extremely happy with the whole organization of the shoot. She got to meet the guest, said hello, got her picture, thanked the guest for their time and moved on - ALL DONE INSIDE 10 SECONDS!!

Your mother wasn't the only one.

In Michael's session one girl was so happy, she left the area and hugged the next person who came close to her - which was one of the bounty hunter guys from the UK Garrison. It was so cool to see someone so happy. :lol:

The size of them is too small really compared to what you get at other events

I disgaree about that - I don't like the bigger ones, they don't fit as nicely in a photo album (they have to stay with my 10x8s instead) and I have a big frame that I like to put a selection of them in, but can't fit many in with the massive ones.

Plus companies who do them bigger tend to put big ugly logos on the shot.

I think some people will be picky no matter what, it's always the same, you get a small minority with loud voices making it sound like what they experienced is the norm. I find that everyone involved does a good job, they are polite and helpful and the guests are too. Timetables will sometimes go awry, the guests might be delayed (for what ever reason) but everyone works as best they can to make things run as smooth as possible - I've got to give Kudos to the web team for getting the updates on the front page of the CM12 website as quick as they did too, sure some people may have missed that but they very timely.

The only person I want to here from now is the photographer himself, and how he thought it all went, it can't be an easy job, even school photos & weddings are probably nicer and easier to do.

Darin (Zol.)

Photos cost £15 each, not £20 or £25 for starters.

The photo shoots were between 15 and 20 pounds by the way. Photo session tickets never were more expensive than 20 pounds.

Jael..several shoots were £20.

And their not more than £20 yet..someone said a while ago, might have been one of the mods even, that photoshoots tend to cost the same as what an auto does..so the only reason they wont have been over £20 yet is as far as im aware, the ultra rare £25 guests havnt done photoshoots yet..

I disgaree about that - I don't like the bigger ones, they don't fit as nicely in a photo album (they have to stay with my 10x8s instead) and I have a big frame that I like to put a selection of them in, but can't fit many in with the massive ones.

I like them 8x10 size..biggish pic, and can go with my other 8x10s too, and frames are widly available in that size too.

Jael..several shoots were £20.

And their not more than £20 yet..someone said a while ago, might have been one of the mods even, that photoshoots tend to cost the same as what an auto does..so the only reason they wont have been over £20 yet is as far as im aware, the ultra rare £25 guests havnt done photoshoots yet..

really? I didnt realize.

While I think of it, before anyone nitpicks over this, yes the Milo and Adrian photo was more, but that's because it was a double shoot!

My mum attended a Showmasters event for the first time on Saturday (bless her) and had 2 photo sessions (1 with Michael, 1 with Chris - 2 of the busiest guests over the weekend) Her face was an absolute treat when she came out but that aside...... :P She was extremely happy with the whole organization of the shoot. She got to meet the guest, said hello, got her picture, thanked the guest for their time and moved on - ALL DONE INSIDE 10 SECONDS!!

Your mother wasn't the only one.

In Michael's session one girl was so happy, she left the area and hugged the next person who came close to her - which was one of the bounty hunter guys from the UK Garrison. It was so cool to see someone so happy. :D

The UK Garrison wasn't there - that was the MK Garrison

This is my photograph that I had taken at a photoshoot with George Romero in 2005. I think the result is very good and shows how it could, and should, be done. The cost was £20 for a 10x8 print and included the cost of the autograph!!

There are no harsh shadows behind our heads, and the mottled effect is nicer than a plain blue background.

There were two flashlights on either side, with the light reflected from 'silver brollies' (you can see the two reflections in each of our eyes). My dad was a professional photographer and he says that is how portraits should be done. Done this way, there is no direct flash to cause problems.

The photo was processed at the event, and was available half an hour later if you wanted it signed which, as you can see, I did.

On that day, George Romero had a queue a mile long, all day, yet there was no rush at all with the photo shoot.

The results from the recent LFCC photoshoot were poor by comparison (smaller print, no autograph included etc.), and I believe that the same set up was used at C12, so I'm not surprised that there were complaints!

ciaranromeroautovw4.jpg

• Moderators

Quite a lot of what you say is opinion though i.e. the background being "nicer", and the print being "poor" because it was smaller, and I think it's ridiculous for ANYONE to expect their photo to be signed for free.

That would open it up to so many people just paying for photo shoots, and getting free autographs because of it, and yes Showmasters wouldn't make nearly as much money from it. I wouldn't give away free autographs if I was running a business like that.

• Showmasters Admin

Ok we had his after LFCC and we let this go but I am now going to put it to bed

we offer the photo shoot as an extra service and charge for it as the guests need to be paid as well as the photographer and costs have to be covered and "YOU DO NOT HAVE TO BUY ONE IF YOU DONOT LIKE IT"

the business model we use is set to work for the guests the show and the fans so it may be different to how others do it but other events do not get the guests we get it will never including free Signature with the photos as that will not fit into the business model we use

i would like to just point out that nothing is free it all has to be paid for in some way

as to the photographer he is the best guy for the job he is very good at getting the balance right and we trust him to get it right for 99% of the customers and we stand behind him 100% on this

his job is one of the hardest there is at the show he is responsible for taking your photo that you will keep forever and he has one opportunity to get it right and he is very good at this

other photographers may be able to do the same job but with the amount of guests and the amount of fans wanting a photo I do not know anyone I would trust to do this job other than this photographer

as to to quality of the photos the 2000 odd customers that had there photos taken over this weekend 99% seam to be happy with there photos and there experience

i would also like to say the photographer talks to me regular about improving the customers experience and how to improve the quality of the photos and the system and i can ashore you all he cares and works very hard to get it right for every one of you

so i think it a bit un fare for some of you to lay into him as hard as you have

I also do not think it right for this thread to go up on the forum every time for each show especially buy the same few people so please just accept it that we do the best we can and we will not be bulled into changing the way we do things,

you have all had your say we have see it and now you have to understand that we will now do what we think is best for the majority not the few

we hope you can see there are 1000s of happy customers out there and we are happy with how the photographer and the system works

jason

ciaranromeroautovw4.jpg

That does look much better.

I also do not think it right for this thread to go up on the forum every time for each show especially buy the same few people so please just accept it that we do the best we can and we will not be bulled into changing the way we do things,

Maybe because they feel they can provide feedback on something that they paid good money for and didn't get? I didn't notice anything different from LFACC at C12 so that's probably why the thread will keep popping up after events. Surely something can be done about getting proper lighting for the photoshoots?

Maybe because they feel they can provide feedback on something that they paid good money for and didn't get? I didn't notice anything different from LFACC at C12 so that's probably why the thread will keep popping up after events. Surely something can be done about getting proper lighting for the photoshoots?

This thread keeps popping up because some people will ALWAYS have a complaint. It doesn't matter what lengths Showmasters go to, SOMEONE will have a complaint and will come here to express it. You cannot please everyone.

Everyone I spoke to on Saturday was very happy with their photo (and I spoke to alot of people cos I was helping with distributing the photos) so I can say with confidence that those who are not happy are seriously in the minority (and I mean minority)

Plus its all subjective. What is 'good' to one person, isn't good to another. So what criteria do you use? There are none you can use except your own judgement and view (which will differ from person to person) Its purely a matter of opinion (have I mentioned it varies ^_^ )

Showmasters know what they're doing. The photographer knows what he's doing. If 99% of the people who have a photo are pleased with it, job's a good un......and Showmasters do their job well.

This is my photograph that I had taken at a photoshoot with George Romero in 2005. I think the result is very good and shows how it could, and should, be done. The cost was £20 for a 10x8 print and included the cost of the autograph!!

There are no harsh shadows behind our heads, and the mottled effect is nicer than a plain blue background.

That's one of the better photos that photographer has produced. He used to use 2 medium sized square fill lights, something that really wasn't obtrusive from what I remember, so of course you don't have shadowing.

But I have at least 2 or 3 from the same guy in my collection which are so awfully dark it's not funny.

kiwi, I don't like that photo. I think the background is ugly.

as to to quality of the photos the 2000 odd customers that had there photos taken over this weekend 99% seam to be happy with there photos and there experience

Don't be daft. Did you interview each one personally?

That said, I'm still going for my Jason Momoa and James Marsters photos at G-Mex, LOL. Complain I do, back off, I don't.