Patrick Stewert Dedications....

Kiwi 7

• Moderators

If the queue board says no personalisations, then there'll be no personalisations at all.

Likely with a busy guest like Patrick, there'll be a crew member at the end of the queue making sure everything's ready etc, and they won't allow something like that.

What i'll do is, i'll stick the names to the photo the night before, then I won't have to mess around doing it in the queue. & even if says no personalisations, I may as well give it a go, what have I got to lose?

• Moderators

If someone sees you getting yours personalised, then the next person will want it, and the next person etc.

If you come on here after the show and say that you got yours personalised, do you realise how many annoyed people there could be that it was allowed?

If you do try that when it's explicitly stated that personalisations aren't allowed, then I'd hope a crew member will stop you - either at the end of the queue, or sitting with Patrick.

It's also unfair to put a guest in the position where they have to say no.

Though sometimes it says no photos and they will give you a photo, I'd just ask, no harm in trying

So long as you don't cop a sulk afterwards when you get told no.

To be honest, if you have just queued by a nice large sign that says no photos or no personalisations, and then ask for one, you're just being rude. "I am so special that that sign doesn't apply to me, that only applies to the great unwashed masses."

You're also making the guest bite his/her tongue, because deep down you know they want to say "In the absence of a guide dog or white stick, I assume you're not registered as blind, so are you illiterate, or just a pushy sod?" but they can't. ;)

When Carrie Fisher was at LFCC there was a sign saying no personalitations, but when the guy in front of me asked her to personalise, she did so without hesitation and did the same for me.

I guess it's just down to luck. Just take it maturely if you get told no.

Edited by Princess83

• Moderators

When Carrie Fisher was at LFCC there was a sign saying no personalitations, but when the guy in front of me asked her to personalise, she did so without hesitation and did the same for me.

It's not really down to luck - it's often down to the guest not wanting to appear rude by saying 'no', if that makes sense? The guy in front .. then you .. then what, the person behind you etc?

The signs are there to stop guests being put in the position that they keep having to refuse to do certain things - and the majority of people take notice of them.

It's not only awkward for a guest, but for the organisers too - there could be a significant backlash at the event or after. What if someone complained at the event itself? We don't want that.

I understand the 'I might as well try' mentality but it does have possible ramifications that we'd be better off without.

That certainly wasn't the last time though? As she was personalizing then without problems. She just had a no pictures sign.

I remember my experience when a friend of mine asked Avery Brooks for a pic with him.

He said "No, this is not allowed, but if you crouch next to the table when i'm signing your pic and that a picture is taken then, i guess it'll make the trick", and he winked.

That's what my friend did (i shot some pics of him crouching next to the table, with Avery signing) and it worked perfectly...

(Was not at a SM event, before anyone starts to get "feather-ruffled")

I think if you are seeing a £20 guest you have the right to at least ask for a photo or dedication even if they have a sign up, for an unemployed student like me £20 is a lot of money (the only way I have money for LFCC is by never spending birthday or christmas money). I just think you should get a little more than a signature for £20.

You newbies who keep on and on about things like photos and personalisations even after being told no and/or there being signs around, you'd just LOVE a full proper convention where most, if not all of the time, theres explicitly NO photos at all in the autograph sessions, and in a lot of cases no personalisations. Flout those rules and you dont get a ticking off, you can get thrown out of the autograph sessions!

Wernt you ever taught as kids no means NO?!

• Moderators

Yes, I did mention that somewhere above, but it's not fair to deliberately put them in that situation where they have to interrupt a guest and say 'oh you're not meant to personalise' etc. It's embarassing for all.

I think if you are seeing a £20 guest you have the right to at least ask for a photo or dedication even if they have a sign up, for an unemployed student like me £20 is a lot of money (the only way I have money for LFCC is by never spending birthday or christmas money). I just think you should get a little more than a signature for £20.

I think I should get more than a pint of beer for £2.60 down my local, but unsurprisingly, those selling the beer feel otherwise. Yes, no doubt I've got the right to express that opinion, but I'm sure that by the second or third time I asked, the landlord would quite reasonably tell me that my custom was no longer welcome and request that I removed myself to the other side of his front door.

And the deal on offer for £20 guests is a signature for £20. If you don't think that that is sufficient return for the money, then don't buy one and try to haggle over the terms if they're clearly laid out in the queue.

I like you gregmss, you think like me & I agree, £20 is a lot of money. I'm a student as well

Any chance that you and gregmss might study good manners at some point?

& I think you've got the right to ask.

Yes, you've got the right to ask "Do you not agree that I'm so utterly fabulous that that rule about no personalisation should be waived for me? Do you not think I am so much better than everybody else behind me in the queue, and indeed better than those who were here before me, that such a restriction should be set at nought in my case? And whatever the reason for that rule, do you not think I'm so damn marvellous that I should have the right to put either you Mr/Ms Guest and/or your SM assistant in the hugely embarrassing position of having to reiterate in plain English what that sign says? Don't you? Don't you?"

Yes, you have the right, but it's rude, ignorant and arrogant, all at once. Not nice.

Perhaps SM should alter their signs - something like "No personalisations, and we apologise that we can make no exceptions. Please do not ask for a personalisation, as being told that you're a rude and arrogant t*sspot often causes offence" :smile:

GOOD MANNERS, we are just expressing our point, we're not meaning to be rude. & also, for £25, I think you should get a bit more than just the autograph, I know many people will argue with me, but, not many guests adopt this policy of no this, no that. & I think guests who do, should go & study some good manners as well, like William Shatner, he was very rude & many people will agree with me that they couldn't wait to get away from him. After all it's the fans that keep the stars where they are, & if Patrick Stewert or Showmasters dropped all these rules & regs, they'd find a lot more people going to get his autograph. Also, you are there to meet the guest, as well as to get their autograph, At Autographica their proclaimtion is, YOU DON'T JUST GET TO MEET THE GUESTS, YOU GET TO KNOW THEM. Now are people going to argue with that.

Edited by Kiwi 7

• Moderators

for £20, I think you should get a bit more than just the autograph, I know many people will argue with me, but, not many guests adopt this policy of no this, no that. & I think guests who do, should go & study some good manners as well

It's necessary on occasion - Shatner was an extreme example, and we can't really compare every busy guest to him. The guests aren't rude, and they DO have manners. When you have Patrick Stewart, one of the most popular guests at the event, only attending for one day and you have a possible 1000 people to get through, then it's reasonable to have a request saying no personalisation.

I'm sorry, but it's not a case of 'the more money you spend, the more you get' - it's generally more about stature as a guest, and popularity etc, rather than getting a long chat or something. It's not 'no this, no that' - this is simply about POSSIBLY not dedicating. If it were 'no personalisations, no breathing, no looking at him, no talking to him' etc, then you might have a point.

After all it's the fans that keep the stars where they are, & if Patrick Stewert or Showmasters dropped all these rules & regs, they'd find a lot more people going to get his autograph.

Again, this is POSSIBLE, and my points towards you have all been about IF it says no personalisations. We don't even know yet, so please don't start attacking the guest or the organiser.

If he had a lot more people going to get his autograph, he probably wouldn't get through them all because he'd be too busy personalising etc. Then you end up with far more disappointed people turned away.

Also, you are there to meet the guest, as well as to get their autograph, At Autographica their proclaimtion is, YOU DON'T JUST GET TO MEET THE GUESTS, YOU GET TO KNOW THEM. Now are people going to argue with that.

Autographica is a completely different kind of event - I assume you've been there, so you yourself will be able to vouch for how relaxed it is and the different kind of guests you get there.

No-one is arguing with what they offer there. This is LFACC though, and it's a signing event primarily. Yes, you'll probably get to chat to the quieter guests etc which is great, but it won't and can't happen with every guest.

Anyway this is pretty much getting off-topic really. The point stands that anyone should respect the rules at the event whatever they are. If you're not happy with a lack of personalisation then simply don't pay the money - I know people that have done that before. Will Showmasters miss out on a few? Sure, but there'll be plenty who won't want to miss out on an autograph regardless.

Gotta stick my oar in here... Firstly the £20 is for an autograph not for anything else, photos, dedications etc are all BONUSES, not included in the price! Secondly if there is a sign saying 'no' than just don't ask, not because its 'worth a try' or a 'right' (whatever that means seems you are on private property!) but because embarrassing a fellow human being is not good, these people aren't just stars but people as well. Put yourself in there shoes for a second, how would you like to have to say no to 1000 people, embarrassed, cheeky, stupid? Yes to all three, but more importantly, would it make you want to come back to do more signings in the future? of coarse it wouldn't!

The idea that they owe the fans is a good one, thats why they do signings and are you really selfish enough to adversely effect others and futures chances of repeat signings!

You pay for a signature, NOTHING ELSE (unless you buy a photo op of coarse!) you have no right to ask for anything else, for example if you paid a builder to build your conservatory would you have the 'right' to ask for him to do your attic conversion at no extra cost?!

Grow up, respect the rules and most importantly respect SM, without who there would be none of these signings at all!

P.S I am also a impoverished student, but you don't see me moaning, signatures are a luxery not a right!

Edited by frankslittlemachine

I'm going to meet him anyway, even though I've met him before and even with no personalisations. He was nice last time, and hes a legend. As frankslittlemachine just said, anything else is a bonus. Although like DeeBee said earlier in the thread, if someone else begs, and gets one, and I find out later, i'd be 10000% gutted.

Yes - it's unfair if the rules are applied for some but not others. I met Nicole DeBoer at a rival event and there was a no photos sign so I didn't take a picture, but when I went on their forums I found that someone posted a picture that he had taken of her. I was really annoyed that the rule was not being enforced as if I'd known I would have taken a picture myself. It's one of the reasons why I no longer attend their events.