MusicMania made the Sun!

stobbs

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Needless to say, there are indeed 2 sides to every story-

Firstly, ShowMasters consistently provide Great Events regularly throughout the Year, as many many thousands of us will testify. How else would we meet the Stars & obtain Autographs ordinarily? How badly was ShowMasters Slick organisation missed at Star Wars CE? Unquestionably, Mark Hamill's Queue had little to no crowd control, no virtual queuing and No actual "Timed Slots" were adhered to. Excusable perhaps? Methinks not, every £85 paid ticket had an ascending Individual Number!! It's hardly X-Wing Science to regulate a Queue given that mechanism.

Musicmania Live was indeed an Unproven Formula. The adverse factors were; The first Ray of British Summer Sunshine descended upon us for the first time in weeks. Traditionally, this perturbs the Public, unless they're shopping for a new Barbecue or Garden furniture accordingly.

The first 2 weeks of School Summer Holidays, sees a massive seasonal exodus by families, similarly this is exacerbated by regional "Factory Fortnight" annual leave. Seasoned Convention-goers are more than familiar with the fees & protocols accordingly, however, Pop fans who may have grown-up with these Acts in the 90s may be less than familiar with the form. Evidently, Tabloid journalist is almost certainly a SM Virgin. Similarly, the core attendees of a largely 90s Boy Band line-up, have probably never picked up a copy of "Record Collector" magazine in their formative years. Hence, Vinyl dealers at the show may have had a less than fruitful weekend out.

Chatting to 1 Boyband member at a recent show (as one does), the obvious question was asked; were he or his group members approached to appear at MM Live? A resounding Yes, with a number of reservations, which resulted in refusal. He felt charging for Autographs was not constitutional for his Group, however if a Live performance was involved, that may have changed things.

Performing live at these kind of events, is no doubt a Performing Rights Legal Minefield.

"Washed-Up Stars' fame over" a tad unfair methinks. A Tabloid Journalist evidently not au fait with cons and certainly not "entering into the spirit" of such events... These acts were plenty good enough for All us consumers over the years, who would doubt Tabloid Journalist adorned her bedroom walls with Duran Duran, Take That or Eternal (depending on Her Age/Persuasion)?

Personally, I had a memorable one to one with the Lovely Lisa Scott-Lee (without being arrested). She told me about an Upcoming Tour in China and progress on her Solo Album due out in Sept. Having a photo with Lisa was "well worth it", The Autograph- a Gift for a Friend, Naturally....

In Fairness if 1 Current A-Lister Star had attended, even if only for an hour, it would have boosted attendance. It wouldn't necessarily have to be a Traditional Pay-per-Autograph, they could have attended to Promote their Upcoming Tour, or Signed their latest CD for recommended price. This was expertly executed by SM at Collectormania G-Mex with Messrs Simon Pegg & Nick Frost, Showcasing "Hot Fuzz" Courtesy of Universal Pictures.

Anyone for Ray Quinn.....??

Well, I enjoyed the event. It was strange seeing the hall so quiet but hopefully it'll be busier next time. I think it's just that most ppl arent used to paying to meet pop stars. Most of the time you can meet them at signings and gigs for free so obv some ppl wont agree with forking out for the autos etc.

As for the guests, they were ppl from bands that I absolutely loved when I was younger. It was great to finally meet them all. They may not be "credible" music guests to some of you but they're always going to appeal to the fan girlies from back in the 90s!

I think it would only be fair to have a varity of guests including pop band members then everyone will be catered for. Believe me, if you get a couple of Backstreet Boys or other American boybands then you'll have a few more ppl turning up!

Definitely agree with having a stage for guests to sing! That would be awesome!

xxxxx

I wasnt at the event however it was very harsh of this women to be so rude. Does she attend events like this often? does she come to collectormania? etc? Obviously not as she is not a fan or anything like that. How can she comment on something she does not have an interest in? She is just rude and if I were the runners of Musicmania I personally would sue her for slander!!

I hope whomever was at the event had a great time.

Needless to say, there are indeed 2 sides to every story-

Firstly, ShowMasters consistently provide Great Events regularly throughout the Year, as many many thousands of us will testify. How else would we meet the Stars & obtain Autographs ordinarily? How badly was ShowMasters Slick organisation missed at Star Wars CE? Unquestionably, Mark Hamill's Queue had little to no crowd control, no virtual queuing and No actual "Timed Slots" were adhered to. Excusable perhaps? Methinks not, every £85 paid ticket had an ascending Individual Number!! It's hardly X-Wing Science to regulate a Queue given that mechanism.

Musicmania Live was indeed an Unproven Formula. The adverse factors were; The first Ray of British Summer Sunshine descended upon us for the first time in weeks. Traditionally, this perturbs the Public, unless they're shopping for a new Barbecue or Garden furniture accordingly.

The first 2 weeks of School Summer Holidays, sees a massive seasonal exodus by families, similarly this is exacerbated by regional "Factory Fortnight" annual leave. Seasoned Convention-goers are more than familiar with the fees & protocols accordingly, however, Pop fans who may have grown-up with these Acts in the 90s may be less than familiar with the form. Evidently, Tabloid journalist is almost certainly a SM Virgin. Similarly, the core attendees of a largely 90s Boy Band line-up, have probably never picked up a copy of "Record Collector" magazine in their formative years. Hence, Vinyl dealers at the show may have had a less than fruitful weekend out.

Chatting to 1 Boyband member at a recent show (as one does), the obvious question was asked; were he or his group members approached to appear at MM Live? A resounding Yes, with a number of reservations, which resulted in refusal. He felt charging for Autographs was not constitutional for his Group, however if a Live performance was involved, that may have changed things.

Performing live at these kind of events, is no doubt a Performing Rights Legal Minefield.

"Washed-Up Stars' fame over" a tad unfair methinks. A Tabloid Journalist evidently not au fait with cons and certainly not "entering into the spirit" of such events... These acts were plenty good enough for All us consumers over the years, who would doubt Tabloid Journalist adorned her bedroom walls with Duran Duran, Take That or Eternal (depending on Her Age/Persuasion)?

Personally, I had a memorable one to one with the Lovely Lisa Scott-Lee (without being arrested). She told me about an Upcoming Tour in China and progress on her Solo Album due out in Sept. Having a photo with Lisa was "well worth it", The Autograph- a Gift for a Friend, Naturally....

In Fairness if 1 Current A-Lister Star had attended, even if only for an hour, it would have boosted attendance. It wouldn't necessarily have to be a Traditional Pay-per-Autograph, they could have attended to Promote their Upcoming Tour, or Signed their latest CD for recommended price. This was expertly executed by SM at Collectormania G-Mex with Messrs Simon Pegg & Nick Frost, Showcasing "Hot Fuzz" Courtesy of Universal Pictures.

Anyone for Ray Quinn.....??

Player!!! Wise words as always :P

Picking up on what someone said earlier, having guests singing would work really well. There was plenty of space if the stalls were round edges with a stage area in the middle (where dyceshould have been) and with good speakers it would attract alot of new people.

THE SUN

The Sun pedalled its normal bile today!

The Musicmania comments can been laughed off by most as 'its only the Sun and not a newspaper' and at the end of the day its all rather petty.

Some of us will , however, will never forget or forgive the LIES that the Sun published regarding Hillsborough Stadium tragedy that took the lives of 96 men, women and children Liverpool Supporters in 1989.

We should never forget that this paper is still boycotted in Liverpool today nearly 20 years after printing their vitriolic lies.

I dont want restate the lies the Sun made but here is their apology. An apology for a story that's was not just 'dodgy' but COMPLETE LIES, made up to sensationalise and sell newspapers rather than sell news.

"By making grave and untrue allegations about the behaviour of Liverpool fans during the Hillsborough disaster, we enraged the city. But more importantly, we tarnished the memory of 96 soccer fans who had tragically lost their lives. And our carelessness and thoughtlessness following that blackest of days made the grief of their families and friends even harder to bear. We long ago apologised publicly to the victims’ families, friends and to the city of Liverpool for our awful error. We gladly say sorry again today: fully, openly, honestly and without reservation"

LEOPARDS DO NOT CHANGE THEIR SPOTS

You'll Never Walk Alone

John Alfred Anderson (62) Thomas Howard (39)

Colin Mark Ashcroft (19) Thomas Anthony Howard (14)

James Gary Aspinall (18) Eric George Hughes (42)

Kester Roger Marcus Ball (16) Alan Johnston (29)

Gerard Bernard Patrick Baron (67) Christine Anne Jones (27)

Simon Bell (17) Gary Philip Jones (18)

Barry Sidney Bennett (26) Richard Jones (25)

David John Benson (22) Nicholas Peter Joynes (27)

David William Birtle (22) Anthony Peter Kelly (29)

Tony Bland (22) Michael David Kelly (38)

Paul David Brady (21) Carl David Lewis (18)

Andrew Mark Brookes (26) David William Mather (19)

Carl Brown (18) Brian Christopher Mathews (38)

David Steven Brown (25) Francis Joseph McAllister (27)

Henry Thomas Burke (47) John McBrien (18)

Peter Andrew Burkett (24) Marion Hazel McCabe (21)

Paul William Carlile (19) Joseph Daniel McCarthy (21)

Raymond Thomas Chapman (50) Peter McDonnell (21)

Gary Christopher Church (19) Alan McGlone (28)

Joseph Clark (29) Keith McGrath (17)

Paul Clark (18) Paul Brian Murray (14)

Gary Collins (22) Lee Nicol (14)

Stephen Paul Copoc (20) Stephen Francis O'Neill (17)

Tracey Elizabeth Cox (23) Jonathon Owens (18)

James Philip Delaney (19) William Roy Pemberton (23)

Christopher Barry Devonside (18) Carl William Rimmer (21)

Christopher Edwards (29) David George Rimmer (38)

Vincent Michael Fitzsimmons (34) Graham John Roberts (24)

Thomas Steven Fox (21) Steven Joseph Robinson (17)

Jon-Paul Gilhooley (10) Henry Charles Rogers (17)

Barry Glover (27) Colin Andrew Hugh William Sefton (23)

Ian Thomas Glover (20) Inger Shah (38)

Derrick George Godwin (24) Paula Ann Smith (26)

Roy Harry Hamilton (34) Adam Edward Spearritt (14)

Philip Hammond (14) Philip John Steele (15)

Eric Hankin (33) David Leonard Thomas (23)

Gary Harrison (27) Patrik John Thompson (35)

Stephen Francis Harrison (31) Peter Reuben Thompson (30)

Peter Andrew Harrison (15) Stuart Paul William Thompson (17)

David Hawley (39) Peter Francis Tootle (21)

James Robert Hennessy (29) Christopher James Traynor (26)

Paul Anthony Hewitson (26) Martin Kevin Traynor (16)

Carl Darren Hewitt (17) Kevin Tyrrell (15)

Nicholas Michael Hewitt (16) Colin Wafer (19)

Sarah Louise Hicks (19) Ian David Whelan (19)

Victoria Jane Hicks (15) Martin Kenneth Wild (29)

Gordon Rodney Horn (20) Kevin Daniel Williams (15)

Arthur Horrocks (41) Graham John Wright (17

THE SUN

The Musicmania comments can been laughed off by most as 'its only the Sun and not a newspaper' and at the end of the day its all rather petty.

Some of us will , however, will never forget or forgive the LIES that the Sun published regarding Hillsborough Stadium tragedy that took the lives of 96 men, women and children Liverpool Supporters in 1989.

We should never forget that this paper is still boycotted in Liverpool today nearly 20 years after printing their vitriolic lies.

I dont want restate the lies the Sun made but here is their apology. An apology for a story that's was not just 'dodgy' but COMPLETE LIES, made up to sensationalise and sell newspapers rather than sell news.

"By making grave and untrue allegations about the behaviour of Liverpool fans during the Hillsborough disaster, we enraged the city. But more importantly, we tarnished the memory of 96 soccer fans who had tragically lost their lives. And our carelessness and thoughtlessness following that blackest of days made the grief of their families and friends even harder to bear. We long ago apologised publicly to the victims’ families, friends and to the city of Liverpool for our awful error. We gladly say sorry again today: fully, openly, honestly and without reservation"

You'll Never Walk Alone

John Alfred Anderson (62) Thomas Howard (39)

Colin Mark Ashcroft (19) Thomas Anthony Howard (14)

James Gary Aspinall (18) Eric George Hughes (42)

Kester Roger Marcus Ball (16) Alan Johnston (29)

Gerard Bernard Patrick Baron (67) Christine Anne Jones (27)

Simon Bell (17) Gary Philip Jones (18)

Barry Sidney Bennett (26) Richard Jones (25)

David John Benson (22) Nicholas Peter Joynes (27)

David William Birtle (22) Anthony Peter Kelly (29)

Tony Bland (22) Michael David Kelly (38)

Paul David Brady (21) Carl David Lewis (18)

Andrew Mark Brookes (26) David William Mather (19)

Carl Brown (18) Brian Christopher Mathews (38)

David Steven Brown (25) Francis Joseph McAllister (27)

Henry Thomas Burke (47) John McBrien (18)

Peter Andrew Burkett (24) Marion Hazel McCabe (21)

Paul William Carlile (19) Joseph Daniel McCarthy (21)

Raymond Thomas Chapman (50) Peter McDonnell (21)

Gary Christopher Church (19) Alan McGlone (28)

Joseph Clark (29) Keith McGrath (17)

Paul Clark (18) Paul Brian Murray (14)

Gary Collins (22) Lee Nicol (14)

Stephen Paul Copoc (20) Stephen Francis O'Neill (17)

Tracey Elizabeth Cox (23) Jonathon Owens (18)

James Philip Delaney (19) William Roy Pemberton (23)

Christopher Barry Devonside (18) Carl William Rimmer (21)

Christopher Edwards (29) David George Rimmer (38)

Vincent Michael Fitzsimmons (34) Graham John Roberts (24)

Thomas Steven Fox (21) Steven Joseph Robinson (17)

Jon-Paul Gilhooley (10) Henry Charles Rogers (17)

Barry Glover (27) Colin Andrew Hugh William Sefton (23)

Ian Thomas Glover (20) Inger Shah (38)

Derrick George Godwin (24) Paula Ann Smith (26)

Roy Harry Hamilton (34) Adam Edward Spearritt (14)

Philip Hammond (14) Philip John Steele (15)

Eric Hankin (33) David Leonard Thomas (23)

Gary Harrison (27) Patrik John Thompson (35)

Stephen Francis Harrison (31) Peter Reuben Thompson (30)

Peter Andrew Harrison (15) Stuart Paul William Thompson (17)

David Hawley (39) Peter Francis Tootle (21)

James Robert Hennessy (29) Christopher James Traynor (26)

Paul Anthony Hewitson (26) Martin Kevin Traynor (16)

Carl Darren Hewitt (17) Kevin Tyrrell (15)

Nicholas Michael Hewitt (16) Colin Wafer (19)

Sarah Louise Hicks (19) Ian David Whelan (19)

Victoria Jane Hicks (15) Martin Kenneth Wild (29)

Gordon Rodney Horn (20) Kevin Daniel Williams (15)

Arthur Horrocks (41) Graham John Wright (17

Couldn't agree with you more

Can i say i had an absolutely amazing weekend and i had a fantasic time. It was a first time of this kind of this event so yes it would be quite.

That lady made some of my photoshoots be late and we was waiting until she turned up.

She was very rude with what she said.

Why doesn't she turn up and go to another event then she would have a smack in the face to see how amazingly busy your shows are.

I go to all Cm events and they are packed the first collectormnia was quite and now they are packed and you get fantastic guests and loads of fans turning up.

I am a massive fan of your shows and i have made so many friends through coming to them.

Steps and Five are my two favourite bands and i am so happy that i got to meet the guest you got, I had 6 photoshoots in all and it was alot of fun cos they all remembered me from meeting them when i got my autographs.

Steps and Five are my two favourite bands and i am so happy that i got to meet the guest you got, I had 6 photoshoots in all and it was alot of fun cos they all remembered me from meeting them when i got my autographs.

of course they remembered you, you were to only person to see them lol :wub:

only jokin glad you had a good time gem.

THE SUN

Look, I don't want to defend the Sun. It's an absolute rag. I wouldn't wipe my **** with it. Quite sincerely. But at the same time, let's not try to get some mileage by referencing something that happened 20 years ago and comparing it to a bit of trashy journalism that we might not agree with. I'd wouldn't be suprised to find out that not a single person working at the Sun in 1989 is still there, so it seems a bit disingenuous to still hold the current administration responsible. Certainly the management of that era is long gone.

No-one here has any idea about what happened at Hillsborough - although certain facts seem evident - for example the fact that the police opened a gate to allow people out, and a huge crowd pushed through to get into the stadium, not giving two s***s about the consequences. Can you see that happening at the Superbowl??? Or the World Series? Noooooo. It's a peculiarly English phenomenon, this prevalence within Soccer of people who really couldn't give a monkeys buttcheek about their fellow man. They just want to get on the pitch, and they couldn't care less who's in their way.

The police drastically mismanaged the situation. Lessons had to be learnt - harsh ones. It was a huge tragedy. But don't even try to suggest that there was no blame to be taken by drunken scum who couldn't care less who got in their way.

As for the Sun, as I say it's a stinking rag. Not worthy for use as toilet paper. But how about The Mail or the Express? Rousing right wing propaganda about Asylum Seekers? Just as bad, but people seem to shroud them in this cloak of 'middle england values' that amounts to nothing more than overt racism, (misplaced) elitism, and borderline imperialism. Don't imagine that any of them are any different.

Edited by MikeDonovan

just a stupid cow....look she cant even get a job on a real paper....shes on a paper that has a giant page spread of a naked girl in it....so how can she go on about has beens....anyone who works for the sun trash...is a never will be....from the sounds of it...she was just pissed she hasnt got the talent to get a real story and from the sounds of her story and journalistic skills she never will get a good story.

I went on the Sunday and was a bit surprised how quiet it was. The Sun article is very harsh and the reporter was clearly trying to get a reaction and the best way to do that is to write a scathing, controversial piece, which has clearly worked judging by the replies on this thread. But, as they say, there's no such thing as bad publicity so as a result of the article you never know it could boast it for next time.

This was the first of, hopefully, many more of these and like the Collectormania event I'm sure will grow and improve with age.

Although I was a bit disappointed by the quietness, I didn't get shoved and pushed around and have to wait hours to see someone like I do at Collectormania (not that I'm complaining about that as I think it's a great show having been to the last 10 and looking forward to the next as well as LFCC).

The highlight of the event was seeing the look of pure pleasure on my 15 year old daughters face when she chatted to Bradley from S Club. She's a huge fan of theirs and meeting him made her year (as she put it) and she spend the next hour ringing everyone she knew telling them all about it. For me (and her) this made the event a success and was worth every penny I spent (and I got to meet Toyah so no complaints at all). :wub:

Can't wait for the next one.

Edited by Enigma

I actually think it was a good ideam that didnt have enough variety or up2date current artists

i couldnt go due to work, but i personally wasnt to interested at the guest list, but the peeps that did go, do or did have large fanbases, its just a shame it didnt go to plan

i agree with what have been said about why bothering when you can see most of them at jumpin jaks and get free autos and photos, but some peeps cant do that and this is a great idea for those who cant

i think next time they should get some full band reunions, maybe some international stars - from past and present, and maybe set a live stand up, and more promo and it should go to plan

i hoped for all that went you had a great time (hi natfrog5) and the guests arent hurt by the sun paper too much, afterall its a pretty crap paper anyway - and you made some peeps dreams come true

THE SUN

A newspaper is not anywhere close to being a leopard, even metaphorically speaking.

just read some more of the comments people have left on the sun website, some of them are so rude... of course i kindly added another comment :unsure:
Rudeness is everywhere on the internet and thick skin is required - it's the big-bad reality of the cyberworld where anything goes Edited by nicky