Try something new - Bollywood guests

Spike's dream date

How about getting some Bollywood guests along to an event?

I'm sure you'd draw in a huge crowd as worldwide Bollywood outsells Hollywood by miles and even in the UK it's getting bigger.

If you chose the right stars people would travel from abroad to see them too. And on the back of this sudden popularity for Shilpa Shetty, now would definitely be the time to cash in on it. One of the biggest Indian film award ceremonies is being held in Yorkshire this year too so the big stars will be coming over to the UK for this.

My vote goes for Shah Rukh Khan (one of, if not the, biggest star in the world)

but other good ones would be:

Saif Ali Khan

Vivek Oberoi

Abhishek Bachchan

Kajol

Rani Mukerjee

Arjun Rampal

etc

Or of course Amitabh Bachchan but your chances of getting him are less than zero I should think.

You could also get some directors along to do signings and talks (these are always popular at other events) like Karan Johar and Farah Khan.

I would pay more than I have ever paid for any other guest for the chance of a Shah Rukh Khan autograph and one of his films coupled with a talk.

So that's my suggestion for what it's worth. I just think you should branch out a bit.

I'm sure you'd draw in a huge crowd as worldwide Bollywood outsells Hollywood by miles and even in the UK it's getting bigger.

If you chose the right stars people would travel from abroad to see them too. And on the back of this sudden popularity for Shilpa Shetty, now would definitely be the time to cash in on it. One of the biggest Indian film award ceremonies is being held in Yorkshire this year too so the big stars will be coming over to the UK for this.

Saif Ali Khan

Vivek Oberoi

Abhishek Bachchan

Kajol

Rani Mukerjee

Arjun Rampal

etc

Or of course Amitabh Bachchan but your chances of getting him are less than zero I should think.

You could also get some directors along to do signings and talks (these are always popular at other events) like Karan Johar and Farah Khan.

I would pay more than I have ever paid for any other guest for the chance of a Shah Rukh Khan autograph and one of his films coupled with a talk.

So that's my suggestion for what it's worth. I just think you should branch out a bit.

"Shah Rukh Khan" ??

Depends what you mean by biggest star..............

Certainly he isnt the most famous star in the world....................

Saif Ali Khan

Vivek Oberoi

Abhishek Bachchan

Kajol

Rani Mukerjee

Arjun Rampal

etc

"Shah Rukh Khan" ??

Depends what you mean by biggest star..............

Certainly he isnt the most famous star in the world....................

The world is a big place. In many countries he is much more famous than the likes of Brad Pitt, Tom Cruise, etc. So I disagree, I believe he may be more famous than the Hollywood stars worldwide.

The number of people watching Bollywood films worldwide outstrips the number watching Hollywood films so it stands to reason really.

Some Bollywood guests are appearing at Carnivale in london

Cool. Where is that?

Edited by Spike's dream date

I think Shilpa Shetty would rather attend a con for fans who know her for her work, not CBB.

Most people here only know of her cos of CBB, they aren't really fans of her work. I SAID MOST GODDAMIT.

Edited by nicky

• 2 weeks later...

But I think if SMs did get Shilpa along they would draw in a whole new crowd of attendees to the event - people who do know her work. Surely they want to attract new people along - you can only last so long on the regular con-attendees! And this is a whole new area to explore.

Just my 2 cents worth though :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Incidentally Shah Rukh Khan has just had his waxwork introduced at Madame Tussauds in London and they closed Baker Street for the opening as they anticipated large crowds.

You're really missing a trick here Showmasters! He is really popular. And he's here in London for all of May.

Ah Ha! So that's how to get you to come to Collectormania this year .. no point writing any poems then!

I also think its a good idea, and so what if people want to meet Shilpa cos she was in CBB, if something like CBB opens peoples minds to new film genres then fantastic! I'm sure a lot of pepole in the UK have checked out a Bollywood film as a result of CBB and probably found that they enjoyed it!

I dont like the idea . . . Im not a racist by any means . . . but 'Bollywood' is such a rip off of HOLLYWOOD!

The only reason so many people watch 'Bollywood' movies is because India DOES possess the second largest population in the world - over 1 BILLION!!!

This . . . Compared to America's 250 Million, Canada's 20 Million, Britain's 60 Million, France's 55 Million & Germany's 80 Million . . . and so on . . . That doesn't even cover half of a billion!

So I think that statement of '...more people watch 'Bollywood' than Hollywood...' needs to be looked at more closely.

'Bollywood' is such a rip off of HOLLYWOOD!

The only reason so many people watch 'Bollywood' movies is because India DOES possess the second largest population in the world - over 1 BILLION!!!

The term, "Bollywood" is often incorrectly used to refer to the whole of Indian cinema, this is not the case. The name is a portmanteau of Bombay (the former name for Mumbai) and Hollywood. The original poster is not Asian at all.

The original poster is not Asian at all.

What on earth has that got to do with it???

I wouldn't care if he was black, white, pink or blue!!!

What I said in my first post about populations is true. Theres no hiding from those facts, sorry.

I dont like the idea . . . Im not a racist by any means . . . but 'Bollywood' is such a rip off of HOLLYWOOD!

This . . . Compared to America's 250 Million, Canada's 20 Million, Britain's 60 Million, France's 55 Million & Germany's 80 Million . . . and so on . . . That doesn't even cover half of a billion!

So I think that statement of '...more people watch 'Bollywood' than Hollywood...' needs to be looked at more closely.

I disagree. Bollywood and Hollywood both borrow ideas from each other but they both have very different styles. I don't know how you can say that hindi cinema rips off American cinema! Doesn't sound to me like you've ever seen a Bollywood film!

Yes India has the 2nd largest population in the world but they should Hollywood films there too so people can see both. We're talking about viewing figures Worldwide here. Bollywood is watched by those all over the world and has a large non-Asian following.

For instance, when Shah Rukh Khan attended the official unveiling of his wax work at Madame Tussauds in London recently there were apparently more non-Asians queueing outside than Asians! I myself am as British but I would take Bollywood over Hollywood any day. And I am not alone.

But the statement I made was absolutely correct. Bollywood films are watched by more people than Hollywood films worldwide. And Bollywood's biggest audiences outside of India are actually the UK, Germany and USA. So it's hardly India's population alone who are fans!

I wouldn't care if he was black, white, pink or blue!!!
I said that cos she obviously isnt part of the Indian population and thus fans of Bollywood obviously stretch further than India.

Good point, well made :smile:

I would like to see Bollywood actor Kabir Bedi attend a showmasters event.

He is know for his role as Gobinda in the James Bond film Octopussy.

Cool.

That's a good point actually. Several Bollywood stars have also appeared and starred in movies from other genres and countries.

As well as Kabir Bedi there is Om Puri (East Is East, etc), Aishwarya Rai (Bride & Prejudice, Provoked), Sushmita Sen (not sure but I know she's done something in Hollywood, possibly with Richard Gere), etc

Come on SMs, you know you want to get some Bollywood guests :D !!