Music conventions

Richie Rich

I love coming to Collectormania and meeting my heroes, but i was just wondering if anyone knows if there is a similar sort of convention but for music...

Instead of TV & movie stars coming and signing we get some music stars past & present...

There are loads of 80's bandssingers i would still meet... let alone bands that are still going...

Madness is the top band for me to meet, but there are loads of others.

If there is nothing like this, what are the chances of Showmasters maybe trying it out???

Would anyone else be interested in meeting music stars? :P

I think the thing is that musicians tend to make music^^, and if you're going to gather them together, sooner or later somebody (and it may well be one of the musicians) will say, "well if they're all there, why don't they play a few songs...?", at which point you'll get them falling into 3 camps

* yeah, I'm up for a couple of numbers

* happy to play, but want to do a "representative" set (which will mean anything from half an hour to over an hour)

* don't want to play, because they're retired, out of practice, don't play/get on with the old band mates, don't want to disappoint fans of the old records with a substandard performance etc. They might then drop out of the show to avoid being hassled by fans to perform.

I think you would have a hard time arranging a signing show for musicians without pressures and moans about them not performing (and if they did perform, about them not performing "properly").

I'd be hugely interested in talking to certain musicians, but whether one could organise such events would be another question. (I think it would be a different market demographic to CM too; I reckon you could make a mint getting middle-aged guys to come along to get their LP covers signed by Rick Wakeman etc)

^^at which point one could say "well, actors act, but nobody makes them do that at CM!". Look at them less as actors than as film-makers; nobody is going to set up a full film crew at CM to shoot movie scenes, so nobody feels pressured. But for a musician, somebody could easily wheel on a drumkit and a couple of guitars and amps.

I think this could be a new edge for showmasters! they dont have to get full bands back if they cant maybe the guitarist on his own that way it solves the no performing issue since rest of band is absent and if bands have fallen out it solves that problem.

Id love to meet Savage Garden! or maybe a band like Steps they'd be cool! I dont like any 80s bands..not my era

it'd be great and have often thought why this hasn't happened before another event had one of the monkees their and he seemed to be very happy and an event in the states had a couple of the police(although i think they cancelled at the last minute)and there are a lot of people that cross both gendres ie david bowie,madonna,kylie,snoop dog,jennifer lopez,the kemp brothers,bros even phil daniels sang on parklife so it could be rolled into a showmasters kind of event although good luck in getting kylie or madonna lol