• Tom Baker
    • Peter Davidson
    • Colin Baker
    • Sylvestor McCoy
    • Paul McGann
    • Christopher Eccleston
    • David Tennant

Peter Davidson.

I had the biggest crush on him when I was little. Plus y'know he was lovely and played CRICKET!!! I cried for two hours when he Regenerated. Especially as it was the horriblest Doctor after him. With the stupid bright clothing. So yeah...

I do LOVE Kit though. So he's a very, very close second. In fact sometimes he's first. Depending on whether I've just watched my TARDIS Box-Set.

1. William Hartnell - the founding father, and without whom, the show would not have got the launch it did.

2. Patrick Troughton - had to introduce us to regeneration - and make us accept / believe it. No pressure there then !

3. Jon Pertwee - a great actor (of his generation) but will always be Worzel Gummidge first in my eyes.

4. Tom Baker - the longest serving and often called "definitive" Doctor. Suitably excentric, but sometimes (dare I say it) boring.

5. Peter Davison - the beginning of "my" era of the show. A younger, cooler Doctor, who went from a packed Tardis, to just him and Peri .... cosy !!

6. Colin Baker - Great bloke and had to put up with a lot of crap while in the role. Just the wrong side of likeable for me on-screen.

7. Sylvester McCoy - Another victim of BBC politics. Too farsical in his performance, not as Chaplinesque as he would like to think. Too many "comedic" stories and shifting around the schedules.

8. Paul McGann - Did what he could with a flawed script, American money and the preceeding seven year gap.

9. Christopher Ecclestone - Inspired, out of nowhere casting. Relaunched the franchise a generation later. I honestly believe that he more than RTD made the new show a success. Too many great monologues and performances to list here. Looking backnow though, he took the role for the wrong reasons.

We all love to work with old friends, but this is the longest running science fiction show in the world, and carries a hell of a mantle. His short stay ran the risk of kicking the legs from under the show, but Jeez he earned his keep ! Father's Day is still the finest New Who episode, and nothing this year is coming close.

10. David Tennant - Excellent actor. Thoroughly enjoyed him in Blackpool and in Casanova. I just think the scripts are slightly weaker this year and his performance is a but ...... MTV ?? Pretending to be drunk, falling in love with a character (played by his real-life gf), bleating on about the hospital needing a shop ?? Not for me.

On the other side, there is stuff like "made it up .... didn't want to say magic door", and "Doctor of Ballamory" etc. Maybe I will still warm to him .....

In answer to your question, they were all good for different reasons, and in their own day. I suppose I could pick Chris and Peter as a top two at a push......

I hate to have to point this out, but it's actually Peter Davison.

It's quite a common mistake though. ^^

Out of all ten Doctors, William Hartnell is my favourite. He just brought such power to the role...

• 3 weeks later...

Chris Eccleston definitely - he really brought the series back to life, although David Tennant is a close 2nd now. I only saw a few Tom Baker eps tho, so I can't really judge him or the other guys...

• 2 weeks later...

understandable though - he only came in for one season in the first place, i understand, and wasn't even expecting to be such a success. he went when he had originally intended, instead of keeping goin with summat that he hadn't planned on.

• 2 months later...

Well I have only watched the recent two series so I am going to be biased and saying Christopher and David....however once I start watching the classic series that may well change. :(

Only thing is I can't quite decide between DT and CE :YAHOO: I mean I got into Doctor Who because I admire DT as an actor but then when I started to watch the first series I was like "He's a northerner....like me!" .....so I'll have to say they are both my joint favourites :wub: