Football legends

With the World Cup starting only a few days after Autographica it would be very timely to have any football legends among the guests.

I know Sir Bobby Charlton has been suggested before and I'd agree with that, expecially as he hasn't so far attended any other shows and he'd be a great 1st time signer, with many wanting to add him to their in person collections.

I'd also suggest any of these great legends of the past, either for this Autographica or any future show -

Johan Cruyff

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cruyff

Ferenc Puskás

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ferenc_Pusk%C3%A1s

Alfredo Di Stéfano

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alfredo_Di_St%C3%A9fano

Eusébio

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eusebio

Francisco Varallo

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Francisco_Varallo

Sir Tom Finney

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Finney

Harry Gregg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harry_Gregg

Bert Trautmann

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bert_Trautman

Just Fontaine

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Just_Fontaine

Mario Kempes

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mario_Kempes

Paolo Rossi

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paolo_Rossi

Gerd Müller

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gerd_Muller

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Didn't Paolo Rossi have one good World Cup in 1986 and then get banned from Italian football for corruption?

Hardly a good example for the game. Besides, he speaks no English as far as I know.

Football legends are well catered for at other events. Do you really want more of them at the possible expense of other quality film guests?

Am all for quality sports guests, but just not at every event going.

Didn't Paolo Rossi have one good World Cup in 1986 and then get banned from Italian football for corruption?

Hardly a good example for the game. Besides, he speaks no English as far as I know.

Football legends are well catered for at other events. Do you really want more of them at the possible expense of other quality film guests?

Am all for quality sports guests, but just not at every event going.

972440[/snapback]

Not quite right.

Paulo was caught up in a famous betting scandal in Italy in late 70s, true. But like with lots of stars who have fallen - sports, films, etc - his story then included redemption - isn't everyone allowed a second chance? If you only book guests based on good examples then you wouldn't have many film stars attending :)

Paulo came back for the 1982 World Cup and against the odds became the star of the tournament and Italy won the World Cup - and he was named European Footballer of the Year and World Player of the Year in 1982. All of that was after the scandal.

And Pelé named him as one of the top 125 greatest living footballers in March 2004. So you're a better judge of who is a good example of the game than Pelé?

And what does his speaking English have to do with anything? He could have a friend as translator with him. Afterall, we almost gave the job of England manager to Scolari who can't speak English either, so I think Paulo could make it through a couple of days of signing and handshaking.

'Football legends are well catered for at other events'?

No they're not - they hardly appear at any signing shows. Theres only one that regularly has a lot of football guests. What about the fans who are from other parts of the country who don't go to that one?

'Do you really want more of them at the possible expense of other quality film guests?'

I've already put a thread for film stars - older ones from the past. Of course I like film star guests, but Autographica is about variety, not just one thing. Thats what makes it great.

There hasn't been many posts on here for last few weeks giving any positive suggestions for guests so football is a good one to put up.

If you only want film star guests lets see your list of suggestions for that too.

Oh and looking back at your past posts on these boards - you've only made 7 as I write this and yet a lot of those are negative comments. Lets see you put something positive up on here and contribute something good to the build up to an event - even a list of 'probably never come' is better than nothing. Wheres your thread with any positive suggestions?

Edited by Hans_Blaster

Well said, lets have some football legends

972662[/snapback]

Thanks Count ;)

And by the way, I've always liked your sig. Even as a life long Man Utd fan thats something that I still feel very strongly about too.

Edited by Hans_Blaster

Well I know a huge Tony Adams fan who I would get an auto for if he attended.  I lnow he did an event recently.

972430[/snapback]

Even though I'm not an Arsenal fan I agree, Tony would be great. And the show is in London so Arsenal greats would be popular. Look at all the coverage for the Highbury Farewell and the parade of past legends last Sunday - lots of true greats from the past.

Football legends get my vote, I guess top of my list would be Pele.

972733[/snapback]

Me too. Not so long ago it would have seemed impossible to get him but he's done private signings over the last year and hes doing booksignings later this month in UK. Obviously still very difficult to get him for a show, but at least theres a tiny bit more of a chance now than there used to be. Would be amazing.

I am all for Football Legends, I posted a request on this forum sometime ago asking for just this. It is difficult to say who you would want as you would want it to be something special. Either someone that has made a major contribution to the game wether thats from the past or present I personally would like to see Bobby Charlton (just to finish of my World Cup Programe of '66 does anyone know how I could get it signed by him?) then you would have to ask for Pele the greatest footballer of all time! Cruyff would also be an excellent guest along with the rest of the guests that you have suggested its a fine line up suggestion.

Dare I suggest Maradona you can have a queue for people that want his autograph and shake his hand and a queue for people that want to choke the living daylights out of him!! I wonder which queue would be the longest?? LOL :(

Yes there is another event that does football guests but to be honest I am getting a bit fed up of Hurst being there!

How about Osvaldo César "Ossie" Ardiles what with the event being held in London he could be a popular guest

It is just a shame no-one caters for Football fans in this way apart from that event that just keeps having repeat guests IE Blinking Hurst and Banks

>>I personally would like to see Bobby Charlton (just to finish of my World Cup Programe of '66 does anyone know how I could get it signed by him?)

Your problem is one shared by many - lots of fans need him to finish a collection of all 10 living 66 team. So he'd be a very popular guest. He did a private signing last year so maybe theres a chance. (the way I did my own 66 signed shirt was to get him through the mail to sign it 1st, then got the rest at the other show). Now you've got 9 on a programme then obviously too risky to send it in mail to him so the only suggestion I could give for an in person autograph is, if you ever get the chance, to wait near the Directors entrance at Old Trafford on a match day and maybe you'd be in luck.

>>Dare I suggest Maradona

Definitely. OK its unlikely he'd do it but I'd love to meet him. And as you say, he'd have a massive queue one way or another :(

>>How about Osvaldo César "Ossie" Ardiles

Ossie would be cool - we could all sing the Spurs Cup Final song to him - A classic of its kind :lol:

Actually just remembered - Ossie and Ricky Villa were at a Spurs game recently. Good to have both, and just like with Arsenal they'd be lots of Spurs fans in London who'd like to meet them.

>>It is just a shame no-one caters for Football fans in this way apart from that event that just keeps having repeat guests

Yeah thats what I meant, glad to see you're thinking along the same lines. I mean obviously the 66 team means a massive amount to me, and I've met them a few times now, but I'd like to see some of the other greats from the past as well. Thats why I mentioned Cryuff, Puskás, Di Stéfano, Eusébio etc - the kind of names that any football fan would love to meet and shake their hand. But where can we meet them in UK? Nowhere unless they attended a European or International match here and we were lucky enough to see them arriving or leaving.

I'd even like to meet the German players from 66, just to add something different to my in person 66 collection. Afterall, it takes two great teams to make a classic final - and we could argue with them over a certain goal :lol:

None of the true legends of the past are getting any younger. Frustrating really, because lots of them live in Europe so not too far to come, Cruyff still lives in Amsterdam I think, for example. His charity foundation is based there. Imagine getting him in person on a Toffs 74 Holland shirt or a nice print. It would be a real shame not to get a chance to meet some of them here in UK.

Edited by Hans_Blaster

If they bring The Divine Ponytail - Roberto Baggio to an event then that would be the best football guest ever :D

973060[/snapback]

I still feel for him over the 94 World Cup Final. Great player. He could have photos, shirts, and a range of framed imitation ponytails :poki:

Thats what I mean though - we may be in UK but a big football fan definitely also wants to meet the legends from other countries as well as our own. A good mix of the history of the game.

We all know that signed football items can be amongst the most valuable, and yet theres not many places to cater for that, for meeting a good range of players from around the world.

I'd like to meet Howard Kendall, Alan Ball, Colin Harvey, Gary Lineker, Kevin Radcliffe, Dave Watson, Duncan Ferguson, etc. No prizes for guessing which team I support!

973567[/snapback]

Erm Liverpool?? :P

973594[/snapback]

The only team worth supporting in Liverpool! :P

I'd like to meet Howard Kendall, Alan Ball, Colin Harvey, Gary Lineker, Kevin Radcliffe, Dave Watson, Duncan Ferguson, etc. No prizes for guessing which team I support!

973567[/snapback]

Erm Liverpool?? :YAHOO:

973594[/snapback]

The only team worth supporting in Liverpool! :o

973600[/snapback]

I thought I said??? Liverpool, the good old Kop LOL

A few years back they had

Geoff Hurst :YAHOO:

Martin Peters :WINCE:

George Cohen :clap:

Roger Hunt :clap:

Jack Charlton :clap:

Would it be possable for more of the same of the 66 winning team after all it is the 40th Anniversary since we won the bloody thing :clap::clap:

A few years back they had

Geoff Hurst  :YAHOO:

Martin Peters  :WINCE:

George Cohen  :clap:

Roger Hunt  :clap:

Jack Charlton  :clap:

Would it be possable for more of the same of the 66 winning team after all it is the 40th Anniversary since we won the bloody thing :clap:  :clap:

974427[/snapback]

I met them at Autographica in 2003, and a few times at the other UK event they appear at. But I don't think they've been at Autographica since 2003. Maybe theres been some kind of problem? Or maybe when it comes to a signing show they're exclusive to that other show? I don't know, but these days they're usually at that other show 3 times a year, but no other regular signing show.

If they were to appear it would be good to have them do a talk as well as signing - so it makes it a bit different to other appearances. But I think Autographica tried to get them to do that in 2003 but on that occasion couldn't make it happen.

Edited by Hans_Blaster

Good call, especially with the World Cup on the way.

A certain "Pele" is over in the country as well doing a book signing tour, so would be good if he came, even if it was just to sign his book.

A few football greats I would like to meet:

Kenny Dalglish

Marco Van Basten

Michel Platini

Dennis Bergkamp

John Barnes

Zico

Roger Milla

Good call, especially with the World Cup on the way.

A certain "Pele" is over in the country as well doing a book signing tour, so would be good if he came, even if it was just to sign his book.

A few football greats I would like to meet:

Kenny Dalglish

Marco Van Basten

Michel Platini

Dennis Bergkamp

John Barnes

Zico

Roger Milla

974453[/snapback]

Agree with all those, in fact all this thread. Lets get some of the famous legends from past World Cups.

As well as Pele, any of the other surviving members of the 1970 Brazil team would be great. Probably the greatest team ever.

And I like the idea of having the German team from the 1966 World Cup Final - I don't think they've ever done a signing here, and there are LOTS of 1966 fans who'd like to meet them.

Francisco Varallo - I've just looked him up on the link at top. WOW. The only surviving player from the very 1st World Cup Final in 1930!!! Had no idea any of those players were still alive. Apparently he's quite a celeb in Argentina. Sure he's about 95 now but Norman Wisdom and Millvina Dean are in their 90s so maybe its possible. From reading about him, it seems he has a razor-sharp memory when talking about his playing days.

I'd want his autograph for sure.

Edited by TheOther

And I like the idea of having the German team from the 1966 World Cup Final - I don't think they've ever done a signing here, and there are LOTS of 1966 fans who'd like to meet them.

974457[/snapback]

That's not a bad idea, the picture I have been getting signed is the one with both the squads on together at the beginning of the game, and it could do with some German signatures.

Mind you, I can't see them being too keen on coming to England to do a signing.

974457[/snapback]

That's not a bad idea, the picture I have been getting signed is the one with both the squads on together at the beginning of the game, and it could do with some German signatures.

Mind you, I can't see them being too keen on coming to England to do a signing.

974470[/snapback]

Yeah, me too, thats what I've been collecting the 66 autographs on, so I would say that other fans would like to add the German team too. Makes it even more collectible.

I think they would be willing to come. They seem nice in interviews, and some of them came over earlier this year to take a look at the new Wembley with some of the 1966 England team. (a non public event where only the Wembley workers and the media got to see them I think)

And I think I remember Franz Beckenbauer saying in an interview once that he thinks of 1966 as his favourite World Cup, even though they lost. His memories from winning in 74 and 90 were less good due to arguments.

And we know for a fact they never tire of talking about THAT goal. In Germany they call it The Wembley Goal.

So maybe they could be convinced to come - we wouldn't be too hard on them :D

And it would at least make for something more unusual for 1966 fans to collect. If most of the 66 collectors have already got the England team I'm sure they'd like to add the Germans - and it would be good for Autographica because if they had most of the team thats quite a few autographs being sold.

And we know for a fact they never tire of talking about THAT goal. In Germany they call it The Wembley Goal.

974480[/snapback]

I was watching the 66 final the other day on DVD and I think they had a case, the whole of the ball didn't cross the line.

Still, seeing as we got another one anyway, guess it didn't really matter in the end.

974480[/snapback]

I was watching the 66 final the other day on DVD and I think they had a case, the whole of the ball didn't cross the line.

Still, seeing as we got another one anyway, guess it didn't really matter in the end.

974482[/snapback]

Hold on - thats traitor talk :lol:

I know what you're saying - but we'd never tell them would we :D

And yes it was 4-2 so we can always say that forever.

Actually, me and a mate were doing the behind the scenes tour at the old Wembley a few years ago and the rest of the tour party were all Germans!

The tour guide was asking us all to say if we thought the ball had crossed the line. Naturally we were outnumbered but we still made a very vocal case :D The Russian linesman gave it so thats good enough for us :dance: