Football legends

I was watching the 66 final the other day on DVD and I think they had a case, the whole of the ball didn't cross the line.

974482[/snapback]

Although – roger hunt DID turn away. Hes always said it crossed and would a natural goalscorer like that turn away if it hadnt crossed.

Hmm, the debate will go on forever.

lets have roger hunt and sir geoff sitting with the germans and let battle commence :D

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Although – roger hunt DID turn away. Hes always said it crossed and would a natural goalscorer like that turn away if it hadnt crossed.

Hmm, the debate will go on forever.

lets have roger hunt and sir geoff sitting with the germans and let battle commence  :D

974488[/snapback]

It is pretty clear on the DVD, courtsey of slow mo, zoom etc, you can see the whole ball does not cross the line.

Still, with the speed of the event and the Russian linesman being some way away, then not surprised he gave it.

And as I said before, as we got a fourth it didn't matter anyway.

It is pretty clear on the DVD, courtsey of slow mo, zoom etc, you can see the whole ball does not cross the line.

Still, with the speed of the event and the Russian linesman being some way away, then not surprised he gave it.

And as I said before, as we got a fourth it didn't matter anyway.

974492[/snapback]

And Oxford Universary did some analysis of it and said the same.

It is still odd why Roger Hunt turned away though. A simple touch and the debate for the last 40 years would have been did Sir Geoff score a hattrick or did Roger score one.

Maybe Roger just wanted to see it so much that it looked real - thats how I always am when I watch it :D

Regarding the 4th goal - some say that shouldn't have stood either because 'theres some people on the pitch'.

I say we need all the help we can get so I still love the 4th goal.

As well as Pele, any of the other surviving members of the 1970 Brazil team would be great. Probably the greatest team ever.

974457[/snapback]

That would be brilliant. I'd VERY much like to meet them. I just looked them up on Wikipedia. It seems that 10 of the 11 are still alive.

Page is

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1970_FIFA_World_Cup

and scroll to bottom half of page for info on the final with links to info on every Brazilian player from that incredible team.

Theres also an article on the FIFA site that I'd recommend for any football fan. An update from 2000 on that Brazil 1970 team, with pix showing them in more recent years than we're used to seeing them. Page is at

http://www.fifa.com/en/mens/index/0,2527,1...articleid=14400

What a great team they were.

Edited by Hans_Blaster

Ossie and Ricky Villa were at a Spurs game recently. Good to have both, and just like with Arsenal they'd be lots of Spurs fans in London who'd like to meet them.

973012[/snapback]

Both of them were also on tonights Question of Sport, Cup Final Special. This year is 25th anniversary of their classic 1981 Cup win.

As well as Pele, any of the other surviving members of the 1970 Brazil team would be great. Probably the greatest team ever.

974457[/snapback]

That would be brilliant. I'd VERY much like to meet them. I just looked them up on Wikipedia. It seems that 10 of the 11 are still alive.

Page is

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1970_FIFA_World_Cup

and scroll to bottom half of page for info on the final with links to info on every Brazilian player from that incredible team.

Theres also an article on the FIFA site that I'd recommend for any football fan. An update from 2000 on that Brazil 1970 team, with pix showing them in more recent years than we're used to seeing them. Page is at

974633[/snapback]

Thanks for the information.

good to know almost all of the Brazil 70 team are still around. It would be a real honour to meet any of that team.

According to those links Everaldo passed away in 1977. But all the other 10 are still alive: Felix, Carlos Alberto, Brito, Piazza, Clodoaldo, Gérson, Jairzinho, Tostão, Rivelino, and Pelé as we all know.

And thats a nice article on the fifa site, good to read about them. Thanks for the link.

Now if only we could get most of the team to uk for a signing...they'd be very much in demand by any football fans.

Well said, lets have some football legends

972662[/snapback]

Thanks Count :uhoh:

And by the way, I've always liked your sig. Even as a life long Man Utd fan thats something that I still feel very strongly about too.

972722[/snapback]

Nice one, good to know other clubs feel strongly about it as well

Well said, lets have some football legends

972662[/snapback]

Thanks Count :wub:

And by the way, I've always liked your sig. Even as a life long Man Utd fan thats something that I still feel very strongly about too.

972722[/snapback]

Nice one, good to know other clubs feel strongly about it as well

974675[/snapback]

When I've been in Liverpool I've also checked out the memorial list of names at Anfield, with a tear in my eye.

Definitely something when the usual club loyalties should be put aside.

With Liverpool and West Ham in the Cup Final today some of their greats come to mind too: Dalglish has been mentioned, and how about some of the others from the 1960s, 1970s into the 80s. Keegan would be one I'd really want. Ian St John would be a good one too.

And from West Ham I'd like Sir Trevor Brooking, Billy Bonds, Frank Lampard Sr.

Just thinking, just looking back through this thread shows theres a wide range of names from football that we'd like to see, and lots of them have never done a big signing show.

We know that sports collecting is very big, and the value of sports items often goes up. And we know that sports fans are willing to travel if the guests are good and it includes guests we haven't met before.

So how about a show just for sports fans. Call it something like Sportsmania :D

Have it once or twice a year, with a good, changing line up that includes the best of British and the legends from around the world. A headliner or two from the big legends of the past.

Mainly football guests but also include some other sports too - the boxing greats for example would be great, and so would Formula One past greats.

Dealers with only sports items.

Have the usual signings, and some talks.

Reunions of past teams, in the same way that we have reunions of TV and film at other shows.

Still have some sports at Autographica of course, and any from this thread would be welcome additions there, because that keeps up their great track record of a varied line up.

But just having a handful at Autographica once or twice a year isn't going to be enough to have all the sports ones we'd like, so maybe a show on its own might be an answer.

Theres a real gap in the marketplace for a show just for sports. And if we had some of the big international past legends then fans would come from Europe too because I don't think theres any show like this there either.

The only other show that has sports in UK seems to get mainly repeat guests now as anyone who goes regularly knows. And somehow it always feels a bit tacked on to the rest of the film/tv part. Having a show just for sports fans would be better.

So how about a show just for sports fans. Call it something like Sportsmania  :YAHOO:

Have it once or twice a year, with a good, changing line up that includes the best of British and the legends from around the world. A headliner or two from the big legends of the past.

974967[/snapback]

Now you're talking. Completely back that idea. I'd go to every show as long as they had a good number of new guests each time.

Just meeting a few each year isn't enough, we'd never get to meet all the legends. A dedicated sports show would solve that.

Big thumbs up from me :D

So how about a show just for sports fans. Call it something like Sportsmania  :P

974967[/snapback]

Now you're talking. Completely back that idea. I'd go to every show as long as they had a good number of new guests each time.

Just meeting a few each year isn't enough, we'd never get to meet all the legends. A dedicated sports show would solve that.

Big thumbs up from me :dance:

974970[/snapback]

It's a good idea, more and more players seem to be doing private signings these days to counter the thing of autographs signed in good faith being sold on ebay. I think there would be a lot of support for this idea

It's a good idea, more and more players seem to be doing private signings these days to counter the thing of autographs signed in good faith being sold on ebay. I think there would be a lot of support for this idea

975059[/snapback]

Yeah I've noticed that too - Pele, Bobby Charlton and a few others we've never had at signing shows doing private signings recently. And we'd like them to be doing public signings more often of course. Hopefully with Pele doing booksignings that may happen, and a dedicated sports show would maybe be more attractive to them, and convince the hard to get legends to appear.

By the way - well done on an amazing Cup Final today! Naturally I was backing West Ham :firedevil: but gotta say, you guys never give up. Incredible game.

Edited by Hans_Blaster

I'm still a bit overcome by it, it was a shame either side had to lose the game. I really felt for West Ham at the end.

Why can we never just win cup finals 2-0 goal in each half and no problems, its like they try and better the last one every time!!

I'm still a bit overcome by it, it was a shame either side had to lose the game. I really felt for West Ham at the end.

Why can we never just win cup finals 2-0 goal in each half and no problems, its like they try and better the last one every time!!

975091[/snapback]

LOL, I know, its like your players enjoy putting the fans through a rollercoaster ride Indiana Jones would be proud of.

I'm waiting for a Utd-Liverpool final sometime and 5-5!

I feel for the Hammers as well, they must feel that someone didn't want them to win. In a way its a shame we don't have replays anymore. I understand what they mean about number of games, but now we've had 2 Cup Finals in a row decided on pens (don't get me started on last years injustice...)

The FA Cup runs for about 9 months so one more game wouldn't hurt, like it used to be. And after todays game I'd have liked to see more. Although whether the players had any more to give is another matter!

Still the important thing is that we've had a classic Cup Final again at last with both teams giving their all. Really was a great advert for our game for everyone watching around the world. And both teams should be very proud of a game that will never be forgotten. :firedevil:

Edited by Hans_Blaster

975091[/snapback]

Fantastic match yesterday. If only all cup finals were as good. Best one for ages.

In years to come fans will be wanting those teams to reunite at signing shows!

974633[/snapback]

Tonights 'World Cup Stories' is about Brazil too. BBC2 at 9pm. Including footage of the late great Garrincha. Should be worth watching.

Thats the great thing about a World Cup year, loads of great highlights programmes.

Still after the last two years of Liverpool finals, I could do with England just progressing easily to the final with a series of 2-0 wins followed by a convincing 3-0 win in the final, possibly with Stevie or Crouchinho getting the goals!

Thats the great thing about a World Cup year, loads of great highlights programmes.

Still after the last two years of Liverpool finals, I could do with England just progressing easily to the final with a series of 2-0 wins followed by a convincing 3-0 win in the final, possibly with Stevie or Crouchinho getting the goals!

975417[/snapback]

Its good when tv becomes like a football history channel - not good for everyone but we like it :poki:

Oh wouldn't it be nice if this year was our year. 9th July becomes like 30th July 1966. Just one year I'd like it to happen in my life time!

All we can do is hope (and pray!) - its GOT to be our turn one day again, surely.

Surely...

Please....... :YAHOO:

So how about a show just for sports fans. Call it something like Sportsmania  :YAHOO:

Have it once or twice a year, with a good, changing line up that includes the best of

British and the legends from around the world. A headliner or two from the big legends of the past.

Mainly football guests but also include some other sports too - the boxing greats for example would be great, and so would Formula One past greats.

974967[/snapback]

From boxing I'd like George Foreman, Joe Frazier, Joe Bugner, Larry Holmes, Ken Norton, Leon Spinks, Marvin Hagler, Earnie Shavers, Sugar Ray Leonard, Julio César Chávez and Rubin "Hurricane" Carter.

Floyd Patterson would have been a good boxing guest too but unfortunately he died earlier this week, another sporting legend lost to us.

From Formula One I'd like Niki Lauda, Sir Stirling Moss, Sir Jackie Stewart, Sir Jack Brabham, Nigel Mansell, John Surtees, Emerson Fittipaldi and Mario Andretti.

And we'd have to include Murray Walker too of course!

Shame Corey Haim, Christian Kane, Wentworth Miller and Sean Astin don't play footy-otherwise I would be totally backing the suggestion of guests here! :YAHOO:

975425[/snapback]

Hey theyve probably played at some point :poki: I'd like to see Wentworth at CM or LFACC too. We'll have a kick about and pretend he's in a remake of Escape to Victory :poki:

From Formula One I'd like Niki Lauda, Sir Stirling Moss, Sir Jackie Stewart, Sir Jack Brabham, Nigel Mansell, John Surtees, Emerson Fittipaldi and Mario Andretti.

975424[/snapback]

Great suggestion, especially Murray Walker. I'd also like to meet Damon Hill, and maybe David Coulthard and Mikka Hakkinen.

From boxing I'd like George Foreman, Joe Frazier, Joe Bugner, Larry Holmes, Ken Norton, Leon Spinks, Marvin Hagler, Earnie Shavers, Sugar Ray Leonard, Julio César Chávez and Rubin "Hurricane" Carter.

975424[/snapback]

Good ones. I would add Jake LaMotta too

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jake_LaMotta

the real life raging bull himself! Good for film fans too. In his 80s now.

I would of course also add Muhammad Ali but that may be hard to pull off. maybe a sports only show could get the really massive legends like that to appear. Not sure if he could do in person signings but I met him at a booksigning in Birmingham in the 90s - at that one he didn't sign in person but the books had signed bookplates inside that he'd signed in advance. And I was more than happy to just meet the man, shake his hand and say a few words.

Floyd patterson – yeah i read about that yesterday. Real shame hes gone. Great legend. We've lost a few great sports names in recent years – Cloughie and George Best for example. And most never did a signing show. I was lucky enough to meet Brian Clough and George over the years at other things but a signing show makes it easier for more fans to meet such greats. It would be a shame if we missed out on meeting the true greats who are left and who have never done a signing show yet.

975424[/snapback]

Great suggestion, especially Murray Walker. I'd also like to meet Damon Hill, and maybe David Coulthard and Mikka Hakkinen.

975433[/snapback]

Those would all be excellent. Murray was at the Spanish Grand Prix today, dressed in all the Honda gear, cap etc. Somehow I've missed him at booksignings so I'd like him to do a signing show. Hard to believe he's in his 80s.

Coulthard could be a possibility - hard to get the current drivers but during the off season it may be possible.

And another current motorsports hero who would be very good to get is Valentino Rossi. I think he lives in London, and during the winter months of the off season, in between any testing, it may be possible to have him appear.

Like I said, it would be a shame to miss meeting sporting greats like this.

I like the sound of a separate event for sports stars, there are so many that I would love to meet, and some of which I have met already, but would love to see again, especially if they would do talks.

It could be a could spin off for Autographica, a sports autograph show. I wonder if Dave and Garry have thought about it.

In terms of Boxing guests, would love to meet Marvin Hagler and Thomas Hearns, a particular fight between those two always sticks in my memory.

Other boxers like Roberto Duran, Sugar Ray Leonard would also be good. Some of the middleweight match ups often make up for the most exciting fights as they have a nice balance of power and speed.

I am a big fan of tennis and athletics as well.

So would love to meet tennis players like Bjorn Borg, Jimmy Connors, Boris Becker, Steffi Graff etc, or athletes like Roger Bannister, Daley Thompson, Heike Dreschler, Jackie Joyner Kersee etc

The list is pretty much endless !