Levar Burton

zebredy

I just want to know what happened with him on the weekend, ok so he was late and I know guest have been late in arriving to events before, but what was going on with the price of his autograph.

As usual I always look on the web before hand to check what prices the guests are and in most cases I bring an extra £5 just incase, but it really annoyed me that I looked on the web and Levar was down as being £15 for an auto and when I got to the event it had down under his name that he was indeed £15. It was only when he arrived around 12:30 ish that my boyfriend noticed his auto price had changed to £20.

I'm not one to go on and on about things, but if I had known earlier that day, that to buy his autograph I was gona have to spend an extra £5, then I might have put that aside, as it was, after looking round the stools, by the time I got back to Levars queue to see if he had arrived I only had £15 left.

I'm not the only person who noticed this, one guy said to me, he had phoned his mate, cause he was getting an auto on behalf of his friend who couldn't make it, and because of the price increase, he had to go home empty handed.

What I really want to know is why his price was changed. I'm not trying to put the blame on anyone, so please don't say I'm out to get showmasters or any of that rubbish, I'm just curious to know what really happened.

Anyone else out there notice his price changing?

:lol:

LLAP :D

I just want to know what happened with him on the weekend, ok so he was late and I know guest have been late in arriving to events before, but what was going on with the price of his autograph.

As usual I always look on the web before hand to check what prices the guests are and in most cases I bring an extra £5 just incase, but it really annoyed me that I looked on the web and Levar was down as being £15 for an auto and when I got to the event it had down under his name that he was indeed £15. It was only when he arrived around 12:30 ish that my boyfriend noticed his auto price had changed to £20.

I'm not one to go on and on about things, but if I had known earlier that day, that to buy his autograph I was gona have to spend an extra £5, then I might have put that aside, as it was, after looking round the stools, by the time I got back to Levars queue to see if he had arrived I only had £15 left.

I'm not the only person who noticed this, one guy said to me, he had phoned his mate, cause he was getting an auto on behalf of his friend who couldn't make it, and because of the price increase, he had to go home empty handed.

What I really want to know is why his price was changed. I'm not trying to put the blame on anyone, so please don't say I'm out to get showmasters or any of that rubbish, I'm just curious to know what really happened.

LLAP :D

967311[/snapback]

I didnt go this time as there wasnt anyone I wanted to meet (shock horror) but this is nothing new, I've seen it happen quite a few times. Not only that the price aftertised is not what's there when you get there, but the price sometimes goes up during the day, between morning and afternoon. If they see a guest is really busy I've noticed them put their price up, just another way to fleece the visitors.

:hathor:

LLAP :borg:

967311[/snapback]

I didnt go this time as there wasnt anyone I wanted to meet (shock horror) but this is nothing new, I've seen it happen quite a few times. Not only that the price aftertised is not what's there when you get there, but the price sometimes goes up during the day, between morning and afternoon. If they see a guest is really busy I've noticed them put their price up, just another way to fleece the visitors.

967313[/snapback]

Last time I saw someones price change it was at another event where the prices are readily available on the web, we were getting a photo signed for a friend and when we pulled out our money they said no its not £15 its £20, I wasn't very happy at the time, but there was nothing we could do as the pic was already being signed at the time. I have never seen it happen at a showmasters event before although thats not to say it hasn't.

I'm going back to the event tomorrow and I wanted my Voyager poster signed by Levar as he was in one episode, but Im wonder if I should let him have my money, if what Haimer is saying is true and he up'd the price of his auto himself. We shall see.

LLAP :borg:

It happens quite often lately. He, his agent or SM have pulled a Bernard Hill again, or a JRD or a..... well you get the point.

It's really annoying when they do that. I just wish they would make up their minds (whether it's the actor, the agent or SM) and stick with it. Doesn't look professional.

I did hear from a couple of crew members that the price change was due to the fact that Jonathan Frakes, who was sitting next to Levar Burton, was getting compaints from fans that he was charging £5 more than Levar, so he asked him if he'd mind changing his price. I've got to say that this is just hearsay but it does sound plausible.

Either way he was still great to meet (this was the second time for me) and I've got to say that his photo selection had improved since last time.

Noticed this as well, would like to hear from Showmasters as to why this happened

967373[/snapback]

Not sure if thats gona happen, more likely someone like Too Tall would have something to say about this, though it would be nice to see what he thinks.

I'm suprised to hear that the price change might have be down to Frakes being £20, and people asking Frakes why Levars auto was cheaper, to be honest I always expecting to pay more for Jonathan Frakes as he plays a bigger Star Trek character, although it could just be me that thinks that.

If there is something people can complain about, be sure someone will...

As I said before this isn't a complaint just one or two people wanting to know what happened on the Friday with Levars auto prices.

;)

i didn't mind that they put it up. i thought it might happen if frakes was getting £20 anyway. levar musta been one of the best guests i ever met at a signing event. he was very friendly. he asked me about my ucla hat and told me he wasn't a fan as he went to usc. really liked my malaysian insurection poster and stopped johnathan to take a look at it. was just really down to earth great guy. i would def wanna meet him again!

The idea of charging 10,15,20 or even 25 depending on the guest annoys me,i still think 15 pounds is way to high as it is.One day these events will out price themselves and people will start voting with their feet and staying away!....a more sensible price of charging 5-10 pounds to have your photo or item personally signed and charging more if you just want the signature only as the item can be sold on....i've seen dealers pay for their autograph then go straight to their stall and double the price.

The idea of charging 10,15,20 or even 25 depending on the guest annoys me,i still think 15 pounds is way to high as it is.One day these events will out price themselves and people will start voting with their feet and staying away!....a more sensible price of charging 5-10 pounds to have your photo or item personally signed and charging more if you just want the signature only as the item can be sold on....i've seen dealers pay for their autograph then go straight to their stall and double the price.

i know what you are saying - but i can't see happening especially when a lot of people said in a different thread that they would pay £50 for a certain luke skywalker

i know what you are saying - but i can't see happening especially when a lot of people said in a different thread that they would pay £50 for a certain luke skywalker

967835[/snapback]

Some people seem to have more money then sense. There are only a handfull of people whos autos I might pay around £25 for, but once autos start going over £30-£40 in this country, I will probably stop buying them.

I don't think anyones autograph is worth £50, ok most actors have the skills to get the roles they audition for, but there are a lot of actors out there who are just in the right place at the right time, should those people get £50+ for there auto :angry: I just can't understand why people would want to pay that much. :(

If actors or event orgainisers read posts on forums where people say they would pay x amount of money for such and such, then the prices for autographs are just gona go up and up till, (which has been said before) there gona price themselves out of the market. People should stop saying things like' 'I would pay £50 or I would pay £100 for such and such', cause as I just said if they know people will pay loads for an auto they will start changing loads for those autos.

This is just my opinion and not aimed at anyone in particular, mainly Showmasters

:clap:

Edited by zebredy

What day did this price change for Levar happen? I met him Friday afternoon and he was £20. Most probably someone got the price wrong like Nick Stahl at C8. I assumed Levar would be £20, most Trek guests are

What day did this price change for Levar happen? I met him Friday afternoon and he was £20. Most probably someone got the price wrong like Nick Stahl at C8. I assumed Levar would be £20, most Trek guests are

969120[/snapback]

It was on the morning of Friday, when we went over, they had £15 up on the board and although the web is not always that reliable, it was also £15 on the web....

LLAP :thumbup:

• Showmasters Admin

Firstly I don't know for sure as I wasn't crewing the show on Friday.

Either the wrong price was put up in the first place (mis-communations do happen) or the decision was made Friday morning. Which it is I don't know, and I doubt we ever will. The main thing is everyone paid the same, it's not like another event I went to were the price changed half way through the day.

Don't forget there was no "official" price list issued, so he may always have been £20 (i.e. the £15 sign was an error). My list comes with a warning that it's based on the MSPG price or my best guess. It's not a definitive list.

Sorry I can't be of more help, but I wasn't there so don't know.

• Moderators

And as for autograph prices rising and rising - they'll always be around £15-20 apart from the few rare £25 cases. Yes, there may be a few people saying "oh I'd pay *insert ridiculous amount* for someone" but they ARE rare, and Showmasters know that. You have to remember that forum feedback is a very small percentage of total attendees etc. SMs have to cater for the majority who can afford prices how they are now.

My list comes with a warning that it's based on the MSPG price or my best guess. It's not a definitive list.

969139[/snapback]

I know, but in my opinion someone should come round in the morning and check the prices that are up to make sure no mistakes are made, if they do, I don't know, I'm sure someone does. It just seemed to me that it was no mistake that the £15 was up there in the morning.

I just wanted to know the real reason why the price was changed that was all, and I just hope it doesn't happen again at a showmasters event.

Edited by zebredy

I reckon it's another case of rip off UK. My friend in the US goes to many autograph shows, and where here star X would be £20.00, he'd be $20.00 there, which is a lot less than £20.00, so unless it's someone I'd really like to meet, I pass on anyone who charges over £15.00.

Incidentally, not all STNG charge £20.00. Brent Spiner was at GMex and charged a much more reasonable £15.00.

I reckon it's another case of rip off UK. My friend in the US goes to many autograph shows, and where here star X would be £20.00, he'd be $20.00 there, which is a lot less than £20.00, so unless it's someone I'd really like to meet, I pass on anyone who charges over £15.00.

Incidentally, not all STNG charge £20.00. Brent Spiner was at GMex and charged a much more reasonable £15.00.

969164[/snapback]

Fair point, but guests will always be cheaper where they are local.......

969164[/snapback]

Fair point, but guests will always be cheaper where they are local.......

969191[/snapback]

I don't think that's anything to do with it. A lot of foreign celebs charge £15.00 regardless of the distance they've travelled. They seem to charge more only where they (or SM?) think they can get away with it, and/or are famous enough to warrant it.

Noticed this as well, would like to hear from Showmasters as to why this happened

967373[/snapback]

to be honest I always expecting to pay more for Jonathan Frakes as he plays a bigger Star Trek character :blush:

967396[/snapback]

Bigger as in taller...? (lol)

That reminds me - at October 2004's Collectormani, I think Marina Sirtis was charging less for her autograph than her co-stars Brent Spiner and Michael Dorn...I had a theory that it's because she's not as tall as them ;) (not that it makes any logical sense...)

~St*r

My list comes with a warning that it's based on the MSPG price or my best guess. It's not a definitive list.

969139[/snapback]

I know, but in my opinion someone should come round in the morning and check the prices that are up to make sure no mistakes are made

969154[/snapback]

Forgive me for saying so, but that seems to be exactly the case here - a mistake was made and was corrected before anyone paid...