Collectormania Party...........

adam_bomb

On 21st August 2004, at my grandmothers wake. I actually had more then I did tonight at tonights collectormania party. This was quiet possibly the worst night out I have ever had, myself and my partner have just walked out of the " party" feeling, to be quiet frank, ripped off by showmasters.

1. The website promises " MANY CELEBRITY GUESTS TURNING UP TO JOIN IN THE FUN!

Many of the guests from Collectormania 8 plan on turning up to join in the party, including Nick Brendon, Erin Gray, Wayne Pygram, Andy Hallett, Robert Englund, and many more".

The above is a legal claim that many guests will be turning up. None of these people turned up, despite the website advertising meeting the guests as the main unique selling point for the party. When we asked security where the celebrity guests were, we were told there were "under no contractual obligation to appear". That is absolutely fine, just dont advertise them to appear.

If they turned up after 12, then i apologise, but somehow i doubt it.

2. The soundsystem was awful for common rotation, most people in the room couldnt even hear it. Maybe this was the venues fault, but it would certainly have been useful had someone plugged the SPEAKERS IN.

3. Congratulations, you managed to pick the only tonedeaf dj in the UK. I guess this is a matter of opinion, but the guy did not seem to know what he was doing

4. How about some lighting so people can actually see where they are walking.

5. The prices at the bar. Please at least make sure the people you contract to provide drinks can , a) speak english and b ) actually be able to serve a drink. Both of these feats seemed beyond most of the bar staff, who charged me £4.60 for a lager shandy.

I know most of you will come on hear and kiss showmasters ass for tonights "party" , but lets be honest, it was more like a morgue, and there was certainly an awful lot of false advertising used for tonights show.I know im not the only person to feel this way, certain people had travelled from abroad for this event and to go to the party. I wont bother next time, ill go to a certain e?po event that knows how to treat their fans with respect and courtesy. Id hope that at the very least someone from SM would have the decency to come on here and address some of the points, or contact me to give me the refund i quiet frankly deserve

Edited by adam_bomb

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with a few points from this guys post,

it is a bit mean to advertise people as attending or maybe attending when clearly they had no intention of attending, it may be wise to draw up some sort of contract just for the party.

and i really feel that the venue was awful, ive been to the hockey stadium before but this was the worst time ive ever had there, the bar was RIDDICULSY expensive, where a pint of coke actually costs more than a pint of larger there is somthing wrong. there was no food in the venue, and no food alwoud into the venue so if u wanted to eat with ur friends u cldnt do it while having a drink u had to go to mc'ds or bk round the corner.

and the music was AWFUL i know this will get me torn apart by the fangirls of the band but they were awful and i am glad they wernt loud so i didnt have to listen to them a moment longer than i did!

however there were some good points to the night!

the inflatable games for no charge were a laugh, and the upstairs dance area and the downstairs chat area a good idea,

and having easily accessable fresh air is also a good plus point.

but overall it did suck a little, it would be a nice geasture to offer a refund especially to those who payed up wanting to c the guests at the party.

Ps i hope this is viewd as it is which is constructive critizim and not organizer bashing its cirtanly not SM's fault that the bar was overpriced (hocky stadiums doing if im right, caus they are renound for price changing in mk)

also not sm's fault that the band lacked the proper equipment, and that some of the bar staffs english wasnt good.

Edited by Hero_of_Time

1. The website promises " MANY CELEBRITY GUESTS TURNING UP TO JOIN IN THE FUN!

Many of the guests from Collectormania 8 plan on turning up to join in the party, including Nick Brendon, Erin Gray, Wayne Pygram, Andy Hallett, Robert Englund, and many more".

The above is a legal claim that many guests will be turning up.

No, I'm afraid it's not a "legal claim" of anything of the sort. You've just quoted it, and it says "PLAN on turning up", not "WILL turn up". That holds no party to obligation under UK law.

I'm not a SM employee, BTW, just know quite a bit about law. Comes with being ancient, I suppose... :rolleyes:

Edited by MarkyMark

I wish people going to Collectormania would realise that the party will be what you make it! Standing around waiting for celebrities to show up sounds like an abysmal way to spend an evening. I wasn't at last night's shindig, but I've been to the two previous and although tons of people said they were rubbish, my friends and I had a blast! Jesus H, some people are NEVER satisfied!

u cant please all the people all the time lol

i didnt go to the party not enough cash but i really dont get why alot of you attend collectmania as all u do is come back on here and moan about everything i have a blast everytime i go, one incident last year but that was all if u are never happy about it why keep going back yeah u say its becoz there are guests there u want to meet fine but you complain about everything one day SM will give up on these events and we will all lose out :lol:

To be honest, if SM never run another party again, it wont be a great loss.

As for the legal claim, Id re read it if I were you MarkyMark

The MK Citizen paper AD claims " stars turning up to join in the fun too" . The website claims " MANY CELEBRITY GUESTS TURNING UP TO JOIN IN THE FUN!"

These are specific claims that people will be turning up, it doesnt specify who, but it specifies people turning up, and giving the opportunity to "mingle" with guests. I ask again, where were these people ? Common rotation were advertised as a seperate entity, and certainly dont count. I understand guests have commitments, and people change their minds, but are you seriously telling me that out of over 30 quests, no one is prepared to turn up ( thats if they were even asked).

So instead I pay £15 for a subpar venue, poor lighting, poor soundsystems, rude crew, bar staff who dont know how to serve and charge for drinks, a sub par band who play for 2 hours, inflatables that disappear at 11pm, expensive drinks. What a bargain

Edited by adam_bomb

This party always looks to me like a total rip-off so I was never concerned in going there. And about the prices of the drinks, don't say that SMs have no idea about them. They rent the place, so they have to have a sort of agreement/knowledge about the prices even if they probably have no money out of the drink sales.

so no guests turned up atall?!

874525[/snapback]

There's another thread http://showmastersonline.com/forums/index....showtopic=23285

which suggests that Devon Murray was there...

874546[/snapback]

collectormania 7 party was really good fun but this one was bad, i didnt even know the band had started and it felt like no one had made an effort for it, shame cause i really enjoyed the last one !

come on showmasters make number 9 great!!!

My mates been saying she wants to go next year to see what its like but I'm just going to say no. Why pay £15 for a ticket when you can probably go to a random club somewhere for cheaper and have more fun.

KIWI :P

874493[/snapback]

Umm.. a random club in Milton Keynes will be about £10 entry, the alcohol will be MORE expensive, the music loud (and rubbish, depending on your opinion), there DEFINITELY won't be any vaguely famous people and... and this is a BIG and... there WON'T be any like-minded, sci-fi fans to meet and mingle with.

The party is a social event, for people to make new friends. If you're expecting to hang with a star, you're gonna be out of luck... even IF they ALL turned up, you'd be talking a ratio of 40 stars to 2000+ attendees. Not good.

I don't have ANY sympathy with anyone who went to the party and was disappointed.... if you're posting on here after, then it means you know about the forums.. if you know about the forums and are able to type, odds are you are capable of READING the previous posts on previous parties. If you read them and thought this one would be any different..... well, you can draw your own conclusions...

Umm.. a random club in Milton Keynes will be about £10 entry, the alcohol will be MORE expensive, the music loud (and rubbish, depending on your opinion), there DEFINITELY won't be any vaguely famous people and... and this is a BIG and... there WON'T be any like-minded, sci-fi fans to meet and mingle with.

The party is a social event, for people to make new friends. If you're expecting to hang with a star, you're gonna be out of luck... even IF they ALL turned up, you'd be talking a ratio of 40 stars to 2000+ attendees. Not good.

I don't have ANY sympathy with anyone who went to the party and was disappointed.... if you're posting on here after, then it means you know about the forums.. if you know about the forums and are able to type, odds are you are capable of READING the previous posts on previous parties. If you read them and thought this one would be any different..... well, you can draw your own conclusions...

874588[/snapback]

Actually, i got charged for £4.60 for a pint, more expensive than I have ever paid in an MK nightclub.

Why would i read every post on the forums, amazingly not everyone has enough time on their hands to read every page on a forum. If youre that sad, then fine. I went by what I saw on the website and in the paper, which was a false advertisement.

It just amazes me that someone can be that pathetic and that pro SM to come back with something as arrogant as the above post.

Actually, i got charged for £4.60 for a pint, more expensive than I have ever paid in an MK nightclub.

Bloody Hell! And i moaned for being charged £2.30 for a sirnof Ice in my Local nightclub and £7 entry. I would much rather pay that and have much more fun with decent music

Why would i read every post on the forums, amazingly not everyone has enough time on their hands to read every page on a forum. If youre that sad, then fine. I went by what I saw on the website and in the paper, which was a false advertisement.

It just amazes me that someone can be that pathetic and that pro SM to come back with something as arrogant as the above post.

874609[/snapback]

Did I say you had to read EVERY post on the forum.... no.... JUST some of the posts from the previous parties, so you had an idea what they were like. You couldn't be bothered (or, quite possibly, you're just one of the regular trolls who likes to stir up trouble - I'm sure the Mods can clarify) to read it, so tough. Deal with it. The information is there for you.

As people have pointed out to you, it didn't guarantee a specific number of guests, nor did it say who they'd be. You think it's false advertising, tell trading standards.

p.s. you are evidently easily amazed.

Bloody Hell! And i moaned for being charged £2.30 for a sirnof Ice in my Local nightclub and £7 entry. I would much rather pay that and have much more fun with decent music

874619[/snapback]

I think you missed the point that this isn't a 'normal' Saturday night out... this is a chance to meet like minded fans... so unless your local nightclub has a large fandom contingent, this can't be compared.

As for £4.60 for a pint, I can't help feeling a normal person would have asked the bar staff to confirm it at the time, rather than gone home and bitched about it on a forum.

When me & my partner when to C7 party we asked at the bar for 2 Jack Daniels & cokes and the barmaid had no idea and had to go ask someone :D

Didn't go to last nights party though- couldn't afford plus partner was ill and stuck at home all night anyway so couldn't of even if I had the money

From a legal perspective if a website says that X, Y and Z "plan" on attending then all they're saying is that at some point in the past "X, Y and Z" planned on attending. Planning on attending something is very different than actually attending something. I plan to do things all the time that I never actually do.

If the site had said that X, Y and Z would be appearing and they didn't then that is slightly different. I agree that the advertising is a little misleading but from a legal perspective there is nothing wring with it as Showmasters didn't make a legal claim that any guest would actually be there.

All that being said I'm a little surprised that anyone thought the celebrity guests would actually attend such a party. The chances of them attending out of the kindness of their hearts was slim so Showmasters would have to to have contracted each of them to attend. Not only would this have cost a small fortune but I doubt the number of tickets sold would have even covered the cost of one guest attending.

If you want to hang out with guests at a party - book for a convention. A signing event is a very different beast entirely.

From a legal perspective if a website says that X, Y and Z "plan" on attending then all they're saying is that at some point in the past "X, Y and Z" planned on attending. Planning on attending something is very different than actually attending something. I plan to do things all the time that I never actually do.

If the site had said that X, Y and Z would be appearing and they didn't then that is slightly different. I agree that the advertising is a little misleading but from a legal perspective there is nothing wring with it as Showmasters didn't make a legal claim that any guest would actually be there.

All that being said I'm a little surprised that anyone thought the celebrity guests would actually attend such a party. The chances of them attending out of the kindness of their hearts was slim so Showmasters would have to to have contracted each of them to attend. Not only would this have cost a small fortune but I doubt the number of tickets sold would have even covered the cost of one guest attending.

If you want to hang out with guests at a party - book for a convention. A signing event is a very different beast entirely.

874689[/snapback]

Sometimes the guests DO attend... at C7, I was lucky enough to have a chat with Jonathan Rhys-Davies, who was a lovely bloke!

Bar Common Rotation, I doubt that any guests are contracted to appear though.

I didn't think the party was overly good but I did have a laugh with my mates which was the main thing! I did notice the bar staff not speaking much english but not a huge problem for me. Was slightly disapointed with the music but left before 11 and before the DJ really started so I dont know if it improved.