How was your Shatner experience?

ragnarmorkai

Overall, how did you find your experience of meeting Shatner and getting an auto  

83 members have voted

1. 1. Overall, how did you find your experience of meeting Shatner and getting an auto

• Better than I expected
    • About what I expected
    • Worse than I expected

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Worst guest ever!!!! Three of us went to see him, and not even an acknowledgement of our presence. For some reason, all three autographs look completely different as well - just random squiggles! And we totally agree about that woman who was with him - she was EVIL!

What a waste of £25.

And i thought James Marsters was a cattle market. If someone had shoved a cattle rod up my #### it wouldnt have been worse. No photos. Fair enough. No presonaltisation............. i say it before and i say it again, Carrie Fisher.

The woman gets better and better as every one else gets worse and worse. I queued for a stupid amount of time for Carrie fisher and for that i got a personalisation and a smile. Not much to ask. And before every comes on here and rips me apart like a pack of wild dogs, this is MY opinion, thats all.

I know it is the guests and managements request but i am pretty sure SM didnt kick up a stink if more money was to be made. £25 for an unreadable signature for which i just about saw him sign as my ticket was taken from me and my photo snatched by some woman (manager me thinks) who believes she is just something special. YOUR NOT!!! Trust me. She represents a lot of people who go to collectormania and other SM shows and she has managed to put my nose out of joint at most of them. Perhaps there could be a green room for celeb management that you could lock them in during the signings so they can keep there big nose out of it.

A waste of money. I saw him for less than 10 seconds and it took him about 3 seconds to scribble on my photo. I was also told he signs WILLIAM SHATNER CAPTAIN KIRK. He doesnt. Trust me.

If you want to meet him then i suggest you do it as i doubt he will come over much, hence why i got mine, but put it this way. .

873697[/snapback]

This is what I posted somewhere else

""Im not going till tomorrow but its 'James T Kirk', what do you expect JCB is Jullie Catlin Brown (excuse spelling) she has appeared in Star Trek before and is (correct me if wrong) one of the main organisers of this event. As William Shatner is a high profile guest and knowing what the world has come to these days Im not suprised there would be lots of securty issuses concerning him.....

Look at the end of the day we all know that some, not all but some of the guests are only in it for the money..Granted he may have signed those autographs fast, but looking at it from his point of view, it could be that the more he signs is due to how much he is getting paid. You never know he might have thougt it would have been busier then it was and so thats why he rushed through it so quickly, so everyone who wanted one could get an auto from him. Or what I think is more likely (maybe not the man reason) is the people who are/were sitting with him pushing people through like there at a cattle market or something like they feel they have to, are told to do so by the people above. Either way I know that it's wrong and showmasters often end up getting people going on the forum saying how annoyed they are at how they feel they have been treated, but knowing these poeple and the amount of high profile guests they get, I don't see that, thats gona change any time soon.""

Oh and he is coming back to this country next year but I shant say where on here.

All I can say is Im gona be waiting till February to see the Shatner where I can meet him in a nicer enviroment. Hope to here back from any of you on this.

:hathor:

LLAP :borg:

874230[/snapback]

yes the event he is attending has been going on for a considerable amount of years according to a very well informed person i know... its in its 12th year to be exact and to be honest i wouldnt hold your breath on getting up close and personal! such a shame NOT!

but anyway GMex is going to blast that event out of the water! and i dare say i'm totally happy he wont be a gmex or there may have been a bit of trouble! he really did upset a good friend of mine years ago on a trek set and i really cannot stand the man. He isnt even a good actor in my opinon.... <---- that is my opinon and i am entitled to it!

the event he will be attending in feb has had a most wonderful guest in the past who was Patrick stewart! now i would gladly pay 30-40 squiderooneys for him even though i have met and chatted with the wonderful look-a-likey! SM should get the best captain of any trek vessel not just the first we want Jean-luc Picard!

Veasse xxx

Yes Shatner's queue is like a cattle market, yes there is a problem with the attitude of some of the assistants on guests tables and yes it was all over incredibly quickly, but at least the man spoke to me. Unlike some of the other big guests of recent years at SM events (Kate Mulgrew especially) who don't even bother acknowledging you.

Nobody is forced to pay out for these guests autographs. If you aren't a fan, you can get a general idea of how the experience will be just by watching those people in line to meet someone. The fact that there were to be no personalistaions and a quick signature are down to the number of people who turned up. Conservative estimates on Saturday put the number of things signed by William Shatner over two days at around 4000.

My only negative points were the fact that it was so quickly an open queue on Saturday, having waited outside for two hours before the show opened, plus the fact that his signing area was moved more than once.

Other than that, much better than expected.

Not the point quigon, I had to drive more than 100 miles to get to MK and I would've like those few extra seconds to get to say hi, get some picture with or without a flash even if it was a little back in the queue. I was in the 1st 80 people with my 2 mates and they are also outraged about the lack of "seconds" we had to "see him". :rolleyes:

874069[/snapback]

Its over 150 miles and I was one of the first 20 ppl to meet him and only got seconds. What did you expect?

874070[/snapback]

Mate, he was on an open queue in no time at all.... when I got my sig, there was NO ONE waiting... if he'd siad hi, to everyone in the queue, made some eye contact and smiled, he would have done as many auto's..... in fact he may well have done more when word spread that he WASN'T a Shatner-head!

To reitterate, if he'd DOUBLED the time spent with everyone, he would STILL have had time for ANYONE who wanted to see him.

""Im not going till tomorrow but its 'James T Kirk', what do you expect JCB is Jullie Catlin Brown (excuse spelling) she has appeared in Star Trek before and is (correct me if wrong) one of the main organisers of this event. As William Shatner is a high profile guest and knowing what the world has come to these days Im not suprised there would be lots of securty issuses concerning him.....

She's not an organiser, she's just an agent. She has no connection to SM OTHER than being an agent for many of their guests. This is sadly the reason they can't tell her to Shatner off... if they did that, they'd lose half their guests....

My experience was quite good.

Got to MK very early, one of the first and had early ticket number.

When Mr Shatner arrived there was some confusion as whether or not photos could be taken, so I didn't take any.

My fiancee thanked Mr Shatner for taking the time to come and see us and he looked up at us smiled and said 'Thank you for coming'.

The whole experience was pretty much as expected, there have been 'no photo/video' guests in the past and there will be in the future.

This is only my opinion but I think it was quite well organised and it would seem a lot of the complaints were coming from traders.

Although I would have liked a photo or personalised auto the memory of the experience is one we won't forget.

but anyway GMex is going to blast that event out of the water!

Given the trouble SM seem to be having attracting people to their non MK events, I think that's just a teeny bit optimistic.

The whole point for SM of getting Shatner was to take away the Ball's audience, but I think it's backfired on them very badly.

874453[/snapback]

the reason i think it will be a great great event is i come from the area and i know soooo many people who want to meet the lord of the rings peeps they have Andy they have won already in my book! they already have a great line up and WFS is not part of that! i know someone who knows a lot about the event he is going to and its limited, very limited! i dont think its going to make any difference if he is there or not! and i think if SM was aiming for lots of people to get his autograph then they suceeded.

my only point on that is the amount he has signed this weekend alone makes them pretty worthless besides if its just a squiggle and no photo or proof then how on earth will people be able to sell them on ebay?? thats why even though my dad would have liked to have his auto i wouldnt put myself through that and pay that because now they are ten-a-penny! And if people are adamant that its about meeting the guest not the auto then they failed cause they didnt really meet him.

its unfortunate but true in my opinion!

hugs

Veasse xxx

I expected him to be exactly as everyone said he would be, although I think most people's issue here was JCB. She was really rude to a lot of people and I think this was the problem. Not upset with The Shatner really, but his agent could of at least had been a bit polite and maybe there wouldn't be so many disgruntled fans on here complaining.

Was it worth getting something signed? I'd say yes because of his status as a TV legend. But having heard JCB being quite stern with people I can understand people's feelings.

I confess I'm surprised at how disappointed everyone was with Shatner. The experience was exactly what I expected - no photos and no personalisation. Also bear in mind that the US con organiser whose cons Shatner and his fellow Trek stars normally appear at have a policy of non personalisation - so Shatner's used to merely spending 5 seconds scribbling his name on a picture that someone else hands to him.

I went on the Friday - arrived at about 8 and got ticket number 118 for Shatner. JCB is somewhat legendary in her rudeness and ruthless business practices so when I got down there and realised she was sat next to him I figured there would be an avalanche of complaints. That said at least I got a genuine reaction from him. I congratulated him on his Emmy win and he looked up and thanked me with a very sweet smile - which was clearly about as much as he responded to anyone.

Basically with the very big guests at these events you're getting a signature rather than an experience. If you're purely in it for the auto then that's great but if you want a moment to treasure you're better off meeting someone else.

I never said the another show is a bad thing, i never said that i would like to see it done down! It is possibly the only true fan convention left because it is run by fans for charity and Anne and her team to a wonderful job!

That said i think that "fans" who attend the ball will be going regardless of this person going! And i'm sure it will have success, the truth remains that GMex will be a huge success because its practically unchartered territory and people want to see those guests!

The convention and the ball are two majorly different audiences and besides this is my opinon and i am entitled to it regardless of anyone trying to make me look like a bad guy for championing SM instead of bigging up WS who in my opinon is a total hack. What my point originally was is that people after this event with him will not want to meet him again unless its to have a go! SFballers will go as they are regulars just like CM people go as they are regulars!

compredes?

no dont even answer that!

hugs

Veasse xx

People have opinions. And mine is, the best thing for SM to do would be to rearrange the date of the G-Mex event - better for them, better for the fans. More weekends on which events are held means more opportunities to see more stars!

874779[/snapback]

Perhaps SM are targetting a slightly different audience.....

No, perhaps I can't reasonably say what their motives were, but I and quite a lot of other people can and have made our own opinions based on the available circumstancial evidence.

When you understand that in reality it's of far more importance what people think they know than what they actually do know, you'll be far better off.

And as for making money on Shatner, I'd be very surprised if they did much more than break even on him. And any profit they may have made as far been outweighed by the negative publicity Showmasters are and will likely continue to suffer due to the treatment of people in the Shatner queue.

874686[/snapback]

Right.. so what IS this evidence.....? What possible impact could Shatner being at C8 have on any other event? If you like these otehr events so much, why not go away and hang out in their forums.

If Shatner signed 5000 auto's (not that improbable) at £25 a go, that's £125,000.... NOW tell me they made no money on him....

No, perhaps I can't reasonably say what their motives were, but I and quite a lot of other people can and have made our own opinions based on the available circumstancial evidence.

When you understand that in reality it's of far more importance what people think they know than what they actually do know, you'll be far better off.

And as for making money on Shatner, I'd be very surprised if they did much more than break even on him. And any profit they may have made as far been outweighed by the negative publicity Showmasters are and will likely continue to suffer due to the treatment of people in the Shatner queue.

874686[/snapback]

Right.. so what IS this evidence.....? What possible impact could Shatner being at C8 have on any other event? If you like these otehr events so much, why not go away and hang out in their forums.

If Shatner signed 5000 auto's (not that improbable) at £25 a go, that's £125,000.... NOW tell me they made no money on him....

874787[/snapback]

As you seem so sure you know what Shatner was paid and how much was raised from autograph sales, why don't you enlighten us all?

Oh, I forgot. You can't.

As you seem so sure you know what Shatner was paid and how much was raised from autograph sales, why don't you enlighten us all?

Oh, I forgot. You can't.

874817[/snapback]

Where have I said I know how much the Shatner was paid? Oh.. right.. I haven't...

Besides, you said

When you understand that in reality it's of far more importance what people think they know than what they actually do know.

hmm... that's looking more and more rubbish each time I read it, yet it still makes me laugh.

As for number of auto's, well I KNOW he did 600+ people in the first hour on the Friday (because a member of the crew, who was counting, told me). To me, 5000 auto's in three days seems like a reasonable estimate.... how many do YOU think he did over the weekend?

After that, it's just Maths, 5000 x £25, IS £125,000..... do you seriously think he was paid that much (including expenses)?

The fact that Showmasters have run 8 of these events and are expanding, suggests that maybe they know what they are doing, wqhere as you.... well, you know smeg all.

Perhaps SM are targetting a slightly different audience.....

874782[/snapback]

Only slightly? Then there'll certainly be an overlap!

yeah they may have the math but from a punter pov anthing that has jcb attached to i will be not regarding again .. on the plus side the dr who guests were great as was tricia but being herded into a queue on saturday .. and seeing 4 people behind me and no queue after that and having 3 secs tops is cr@p mor than cr@p .. give me a propper con any day when you can actually meet the guests and sm need to learn this as they generrally pull off a good show but they lack soul .. god is love

I never expected any more than a quick signature and maybe a smile or 'hello'. I got all of those things and waited for a surprisingly short amount of time too. I may have been lucky on that score. I don't know what people expect from these people. I have supervised autograph queues at cons myself and know the frustration of those lining up whilst the person in front of the 'star' is telling them their life story. You gotta be stern sometimes and run people though quick to ensure that as many people get, at least, a signature as possible. I for one was very happy with things. Well done the organisers.

I never expected any more than a quick signature and maybe a smile or 'hello'.

875250[/snapback]

same here. It's easy to go to any website and just buy his autograph but I think it's nicer watching them do it. I try not to expect anything from them so if they do smile, that's a bonus. I was very lucky to get a smile, eye contact and a few words.

The thing was, he was super-busy. One crew member told us WS signed 16 autos a min. and I'm sure I heard one person say 'I liked you in Star Trek' - come on, if the guys has to hear inane comments like that all day long I'm not suprised he seemed a grump.

:)

People who've attended SFB on that very same weekend for years certainly have opinions. And mine is, the best thing for SM to do would be to rearrange the date of the G-Mex event - better for them, better for the fans. More weekends on which events are held means more opportunities to see more stars, and just think, people who enjoyed the Ball will be able to spend money at the G-Mex too! And more seriously ill people will get a better quality of life...

874779[/snapback]

I am very happy that GMEX is on that date as is my BF who i met at C6, we made our relationship official on valentines day and GMEX is going to be there to mark that!

I made my points and my opinons stand firm about WS, he is a horrible man regardless of the woman who was deemed to be "EVIL" i know people who have met her in the past who said she was a really nice person, maybe thats changed but with WS he doesnt like his fans no-one can make him be rude and not speak and one saying comes to mind

"you cant teach an old dog new tricks"

i'm signing off now, its making me feel ill

Veasse x

WS...doesnt like his fans no-one can make him be rude and not speak

875420[/snapback]

That's pretty depressing, imo. :blink: Wonder if he's always been that way, right from the early days of ST:TOS? :headscratch:

I dare say there'll be apologists for his behaviour, and I'm not going to deny that jet-lag etc may have played a part - and I'm really, genuinely chuffed that some people did have good experiences when meeting WS. But I think his attitude towards his fans is very sad - unless, of course, it could be six of one and half a dozen of the other sometimes. :(

That said i think that "fans" who attend the ball will be going regardless of this person going! And i'm sure it will have success, the truth remains that GMex will be a huge success because its practically unchartered territory and people want to see those guests!

874748[/snapback]

I have to disagree here, there are some people who go to the above event because they have been to other events such as SMs, seen the guests, had a bad experiance, then when they went to the ball they foundout that the guests werent really that bad, it was just the organisers and the agents at these other events (mainly SMs events) that gave them a bad press. I bet I will go away from the ball with at least 5-10 good photos of William Shatner after seeing one of his talks that he will be doing.

This is one of the few forums I go on where there are over a dozen people, who after the event go on the forums, to complain about the event. You wouldn't see that on the Balls website, unless they were talking about other events.... :blink: (you know which one I mean)

:headscratch:

LLAP :borg: