Possible improvements for LFACC

Okay first of all, I need to say this. The hotels for LFACC are WAY TOO EXPENSIVE.

For three of us to stay at the Quality for just one night it was over £120, where as at Collectormania we can stay in a room for four, for two nights for less then that. Yes Showmasters I know you pay for alot of the crew to stay in hotels but maybe you could get the main hotels round the centre i.e. Ibis, Quality and Plaza at a more discounted price cause £120 is alot of money, and some people usually go for two nights.

Also not too many complaints about the venue but the lighting in there always seems to mess up photos. Alot of the photos my friends and I took over the week seemed to turn out kinda orange. Only pictures taken really close came out proper, even then the back ground was orange.

See I didn't complain too much :unsure:

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Moderators

(1) I'm not sure how you expect Showmasters to control hotel prices? I mean, think about it .. it's not just LFACC on at those times, it's gigs at Wembley Arena n stuff like that too! So why should WE get discounted room rates, yet all other people have to pay normal prices? It's just not logical and I don't see where you're getting the idea that Showmasters control hotel prices.

(2) Lighting is more than likely Wembley's responsibility, not Showmasters, so even if it DOES need to be improved - and it's not actually just at this events, but a couple similar ones that I can think of, I'm not sure they control it.

Overall it was pretty good, I prefer it to Collectormania.

Only thing which also applices to Collectormania is the quality of the photos provided for signing.

I have to buy my own before hand now, so it always costs me more to get the sigs, as I would rather have a good photo and then have to pay for the sig on top.

A free photo isn't much good if it is poor quality.

i managed (first LFCC) to get a nice little pub, practically accross the road, for £40 a night, for 3 ppl. 120 TOTAL for us, as we were there 3 nights. unfortunately it was apparently full booked this time round, though perhaps SM have organised it as a crew accomodation to lower their own costs? which may eventually aid them in lowering costs at the show, or perhaps in organising a deal with other acoomodations in the area?

as for lighting, i found all my piccies to come out good, even the ones that kinda took across the entire hall :wub:

it'd be nice if just convention people could call up and book their room and say their going to LFACC and get a slight discount on the hotel prices.

But then how would we ever prove we were going to LFCC?

It's much cheaper (£12-15) to stay in a hostel. You save loads of the money, the only bad thing is that it aint on the venue's doorstep but then so what, at least it's much cheaper. And hostels are no way near as bad as your mother would make out...at all.

you OBV staying in the wrong place for £120 a night!!! :o

we stayed in a nice little BED AND BREAKFAST (I wanted to put emphasis on the fact we DID get breakfast as well!! ;)) for £100 for 6 of us (*ahem* and an extra ;))

so I paid £30 for 2nights at LFACC2 yey :P

had that prob with my photos too, digi and aps :D

photos provided by SM were cwl this time, mind you I only got SG/SGA ones and there was a good enough selection of SGA considering it's a brand new show! :wub:

I would like to see SOMEHOW SM being able to offer us the photos for say £1 after a show as I would have LOVED to have had ALL of the SGA cast/individual shots :P but I REFUSE to pay the £4 :o dealers charge!!

surfy sah xx

edit: typos...

Edited by surfy_sah

the quality of the photos provided for signing.

I'd like them to have glossy copies of the film's poster, a mini 8X10 version.

That way we can get mulitple sigs on them if there are more than one guests from the film there and it's a nice alternative to a picture of the guest if there are none there that we like. Would this have copyright problems though?

Edited by nicky

it'd be nice if just convention people could call up and book their room and say their going to LFACC and get a slight discount on the hotel prices.

But then how would we ever prove we were going to LFCC?...

that's a good point!

plus even 10% would only save £12, which is only £4 each!! :D

surfy sah xx :wub:

• Showmasters Admin
Okay first of all, I need to say this. The hotels for LFACC are WAY TOO EXPENSIVE.

For three of us to stay at the Quality for just one night it was over £120, where as at Collectormania we can stay in a room for four, for two nights for less then that. Yes Showmasters I know you pay for alot of the crew to stay in hotels but maybe you could get the main hotels round the centre i.e. Ibis, Quality and Plaza at a more discounted price cause £120 is alot of money, and some people usually go for two nights.

Also not too many complaints about the venue but the lighting in there always seems to mess up photos. Alot of the photos my friends and I took over the week seemed to turn out kinda orange. Only pictures taken really close came out proper, even then the back ground was orange.

See I didn't complain too much :lol:

I stayed in the Quality too. I booked online and got our room for £80 for the Saturday. It's just a case of looking around for the best deal. I've found going to them directly very rarely gets you the best price.

you OBV staying in the wrong place for £120 a night!!! :o

we stayed in a nice little BED AND BREAKFAST (I wanted to put emphasis on the fact we DID get breakfast as well!! ;)) for £100 for 6 of us (*ahem* and an extra ;))

so I paid £30 for 2nights at LFACC2 yey :D

you beat me to it! i was gonna post about that! lol

it was a nice place :(

oh and my photos of the atlantsi talk were tinted yellow probably a flash issue...... :unsure:

still great photos tho!!

The only improvement I can think of now is really if there is some way to get a cash machine to the venue. Somebody here mentioned that these things can be rented and put up temporarily a while ago.

While I agree with the strange light, I also agree that there is nothing that SM can do about it. I brought a different camera this time and was fine for my part after some bad experiences in March.

@tiggerific: Yes, the yellow tint in the pictures is a flash issue. I had this happen to me last time, that's exactly why I brought the other camera.

I had some complaints about the photo selection at Collectormania 6 as well, but I am with surfy_sah, the selection at Comic Con was much better. Especially the SG/SGA bit.

And as for the hotel prices: I really think this depends on the time you book and if you look around for best prices.

My friend and I were booked in the Ibis for a little more than 40 pounds per night. But we booked early.

A couple of our friends booked in the Quality too, about a month before the event. They paid 80 pounds per night. And that is because they wanted to be close to the event.

Other hotels (a Travel Inn at least) still provided rooms for about 50 pounds per night, but they were a bit more far away.

may be better to say further away from wembley, as some of the prices are expensive... if you do that there are some good reliable bus routes that go straight to the venue (e.g. 83 a& 224 bus) i live close so it was easy from me...but the best thing to do is book before you go.

That way we can get mulitple sigs on them if there are more than one guests from the film there and it's a nice alternative to a picture of the guest if there are none there that we like. Would this have copyright problems though?

Good idea.

Especially, for the re-unions.

Picture quality and range definetly needs to be improved.

(1) I'm not sure how you expect Showmasters to control hotel prices? I mean, think about it .. it's not just LFACC on at those times, it's gigs at Wembley Arena n stuff like that too! So why should WE get discounted room rates, yet all other people have to pay normal prices? It's just not logical and I don't see where you're getting the idea that Showmasters control hotel prices.

That is a bit harsh. There are other conventions that negotiate special room rates with local hotels when they are holding an event in the area. I know Showmasters don't at the moment, but it could be a Marketing area that they could explore in the future.

Obviously they may only be able to do it with one Hotel, from a competitive point of view, but it is not an unrealistic situation, especially as many of the attendees to the London Film and Comic Con attend from all around the World and may well stay for a long weekend in London.

• Moderators

Yeah I have been aware of special rate prices in the past, but I've only ever come across one organiser that has done that - and that was for "conventions" that were actually IN the hotel itself so u know .. I thought that was a bit different from Collectormania or LFACC. Obviously if u know of *similar* events like these that offer discounted hotel rates then fair enough, but I wasn't aware of them.

That is a bit harsh. There are other conventions that negotiate special room rates with local hotels when they are holding an event in the area. I know Showmasters don't at the moment, but it could be a Marketing area that they could explore in the future.

Obviously they may only be able to do it with one Hotel, from a competitive point of view, but it is not an unrealistic situation, especially as many of the attendees to the London Film and Comic Con attend from all around the World and may well stay for a long weekend in London.

Erm... these conventions you are talking off are usually held in the hotels. Meaning the hotels get the money from the organiser paying for the meeting area as well.

Also I still have found better room prices than the convention rate for those hotels on several occasions.

Erm... these conventions you are talking off are usually held in the hotels. Meaning the hotels get the money from the organiser paying for the meeting area as well.

Also I still have found better room prices than the convention rate for those hotels on several occasions.

Yes you are right in the main, but there are one or two exceptions.

However, I can't give you specifics within the forum rules.

I can't speak on behalf of all hotels, but I am sure that some may be open to an agreement with Showmasters, if that meant they filled their hotel for the weekend, and with that the additional probably bar and restaurant money.

Pros :

1. London is FAR better than MK. Paid admission = no gawpers.

2. More space

3. Better layout (specific and dedicated guest area)

Cons :

1. Poor light

2. Too few dealers, too little variety

3. Little or no signposting in the surrounding area

And before that special little guy says that *whatever* is not SMs responsibility, it IS !! It's their show, and it's up to them to address problems, whether it means doing it themselves, or asking the appropriate third party !

An 8x10, be it a photo or a mini poster, doesn't really have room for more than two sigs (and even they need to be compact !) - I like the 11x17 repros from allposters which have room for several sigs.

I wanted to get all four (not five) Alien franchise posters done in one frame, but the quads or other full size posters are just TOO big ! I got the "full crew" 8x10s at L2, left them unsigned, and will eventually frame all four 11x17s, in one frame with each crew shot underneath it's poster. Should look cool signed by :

1. Cartwright, Kotto (Skerrit)

2. Henrikson, Biehn, Goldstein (I felt the other's at L2 were too minor)

3. McGann, (Dance, Fairbank)

4. Dourif, (Perlman)

Optomistic with my brackets, aren't I ?

The lighting will always be a problem and I am afraid that no-one, apart from the hall owners, can do anything about it.

I do wish that SM would use decent Star Trek pics, they are available. If they got a license from Paramount they would be spectacular quality with access to unique images for their shows.

Hotels no real opinion dpn't use them, but hotel space is always at a premium around that area.

• Moderators

People who are not happy with the dealers, whether it be quantity or variety - do you believe this is up to the dealers themselves to provide "different" things from each other? And as for quantity, I guess the way it works is that the dealers contact Showmasters about attending, not the other way round?

I'm not sure .. I just wondered how people think it *can* be improved and who it is that should be doing the improving? Is it a lack of advertising in the right areas or do you think London itself is out of the way for many dealers while something like Birmingham is more centralised in the country n better for MORE dealers to travel to?

People who are not happy with the dealers, whether it be quantity or variety - do you believe this is up to the dealers themselves to provide "different" things from each other? And as for quantity, I guess the way it works is that the dealers contact Showmasters about attending, not the other way round?

I'm not sure .. I just wondered how people think it *can* be improved and who it is that should be doing the improving? Is it a lack of advertising in the right areas or do you think London itself is out of the way for many dealers while something like Birmingham is more centralised in the country n better for MORE dealers to travel to?

SMs are the guvnors for guests. Fact ! But for dealers, the NEC last week will always be top of the tree. Maybe that proves that Brum is a better spot ? It's just as accessible from abroad, and far more so within the UK. Maybe SMs need to cut their charge per dealer, thus bringing in MORE dealers ? There certainly seemed to be room at L2, whereas CM is ALWAYS a scrum. I'm sure you would get a larger number of dealers making it to Brum, Manchester etc ??

• Moderators

Hmm it's a tricky situation, I can understand that lower prices wud be more of an incentive to dealers to come to the show but then I wonder if it would be viable and cover the necessary costs - I can imagine that Wembley is VERY expensive, and if there's another spam up with the transport like LFACC2 then eventually it's gonna cripple it and LFACC will be no more :unsure:

I guess Birmingham is established and KNOWN for it's .. erm "memorabilia dealers" .. so that's why it has a lot, plus that's always been it's MAIN priority. There's definitely a lot of room at LFACC tho, and it'd be nice to see it used a bit more because yeah we do need walking space but it wasn't exactly overpacked n struggling to move.

I'd like to see more dealers or SOMETHING else? At least fill the space .. I'm not sure what tho .. just something unique and inventive .. I quite liked the idea behind the SW trailer area, perhaps expand on that and get directors and representatives from studios. That's what the American version does as far as I'm aware. I know we have small film festivals in this country already, but nothing massive, and I'm sure they'd be able to reach a LOT of their target audience at places like this.