Possible improvements for LFACC

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

wow David I agree with you!!!! :D

again dufresne, it all comes down to what people want out of an event - not everyone buys loadsa stuff from dealers, spesh when you go to e.g. CM, London Docks then LFACC and then B'Ham all in a row, it's bound to all be simular stuff on offer! also the regulars at events e.g. Starfeatures for example and that stall with the cardboard cutouts from the US ALWAYS have the same stuff, which gets boring! :wub: what's to say that even if there WERE more dealers they would have anything different to offer?!

I would agree as David suggested (I am still shocked at this!!) :P that *ahem* the event in B'Ham is MORE about memrobillia than SM events, IMO NEC sacrafices guest space and room and shoves as many stalls in as poss - I mem when Eliza was there is was VERY hard to walk around - where are SM events seem to try and balance the two (though there is OBV more space at LFACC!)

go Sam go!! :wub:

surfy sah xx

Okay first of all, I need to say this. The hotels for LFACC are WAY TOO EXPENSIVE.

For three of us to stay at the Quality for just one night it was over £120, where as at Collectormania we can stay in a room for four, for two nights for less then that. Yes Showmasters I know you pay for alot of the crew to stay in hotels but maybe you could get the main hotels round the centre i.e. Ibis, Quality and Plaza at a more discounted price cause £120 is alot of money, and some people usually go for two nights.

Also not too many complaints about the venue but the lighting in there always seems to mess up photos. Alot of the photos my friends and I took over the week seemed to turn out kinda orange. Only pictures taken really close came out proper, even then the back ground was orange.

See I didn't complain too much :D

!!!OMG you must have booked wrong?!?

we got a room with 2 double beds for £80 in the quality (no brekkie tho but hey mccy Ds is just a hop and a skip)

The Birmingham events always have a greater variety of stalls, but I think its unfair to knock their guests too, they had over 100 guests this past weekend, which is quite an achievment. This show was fantastic, such an amazing array of guests from all areas. Sure there were some of the old faces but then they appear at virtually every show including Collectormania and LFCC.

I think if its stalls you're after then NEC is the place for you.

And before that special little guy says that *whatever* is not SMs responsibility, it IS !! It's their show, and it's up to them to address problems, whether it means doing it themselves, or asking the appropriate third party !

That made me laugh.

You're a funny guy !

People who are not happy with the dealers, whether it be quantity or variety - do you believe this is up to the dealers themselves to provide "different" things from each other? And as for quantity, I guess the way it works is that the dealers contact Showmasters about attending, not the other way round?

I'm not sure .. I just wondered how people think it *can* be improved and who it is that should be doing the improving? Is it a lack of advertising in the right areas or do you think London itself is out of the way for many dealers while something like Birmingham is more centralised in the country n better for MORE dealers to travel to?

SMs are the guvnors for guests. Fact ! But for dealers, the NEC last week will always be top of the tree. Maybe that proves that Brum is a better spot ? It's just as accessible from abroad, and far more so within the UK. Maybe SMs need to cut their charge per dealer, thus bringing in MORE dealers ? There certainly seemed to be room at L2, whereas CM is ALWAYS a scrum. I'm sure you would get a larger number of dealers making it to Brum, Manchester etc ??

That show was dead, i was on a stall with a variety of props/tading cards, and other items, they made bugger all and so little turned up and brought. Alot of dealers did very bad there.

And before that special little guy says that *whatever* is not SMs responsibility, it IS !! It's their show, and it's up to them to address problems, whether it means doing it themselves, or asking the appropriate third party !

That made me laugh.

You're a funny guy !

I'm funny how? Funny like a clown? I amuse you? I make you laugh? I'm here to f***in' amuse you? How am I funny, like a clown? What is so funny about me? What the f*** is so funny about me? Tell me. Tell me what's funny.

Did I wrong you in another life ? :rolleyes:

Edited by dufresne

That made me laugh.

You're a funny guy !

I'm funny how? Funny like a clown? I amuse you? I make you laugh? I'm here to f***in' amuse you? How am I funny, like a clown? What is so funny about me? What the f*** is so funny about me? Tell me. Tell me what's funny.

Did I wrong you in another life ? :unsure:

Brilliant ! I just knew I could rely on you to give me the Pesci response.

I'd like the signposting for LFCC to be better. I live in North London, about 20 minutes away, and although I know how to get to Wembley, once I was there I drove around and around trying to find the hall. Signposting off the North Circular would have been good, and once you've followed the oneway system more signs too. I really didn't have a clue where I was going and eventually I found it. I also had seen that there was to be free parking at the hotel next to it (can't remember the name now). Anyway, i found it but didn't see any reference to free parking for LFCC visitors and ended up paying £8 for my parking, which was less than the £10 Wembley charge, but still...

• 3 weeks later...

I would have to agree about the appalling quality of the 10x8's on offer. The last Collectormania and LFCC taught me the very valuable lesson that I had to get my ticket for the guest - and then wander around the dealer stalls and buy the 10x8's from them before joining the queue. I actually walked out of the Michael Biehn queue because the choice of photos on offer were very grainy screen grabs and I couldn't quite bear to part with £20 for one. The choice of Nick Brendon photos at Collectormania were also very poor - all season 1 promo shots - making them 8 years old!

If Showmasters aren't going to allow a difference in price for the 10 x 8's or personal items then the 10x8's need to be worth the price being paid for the autograph. I would never join a queue now at either event without having my own item to sign.

Also a further suggestion would be to allow a greater price range in autographs. I understand that the big guests need to be £20 - but you cannot just lump everyone else in under the £15 category. Many of the Alien guests (with the exception of Michael Biehn) at LFCC were overpriced at £15. Had they been priced at £10 for a 10x8 or £5 for a personal item (if say you wanted the Alien Quadrilogy boxset signed) then I actually believe they would have made more money. I think it is this blanket £20 for the big guests - £15 for everyone else policy that ensured that the last LFCC was so very quiet. £15 is an awful lot of money to spend on an actor who may have had one iconic signature role - but has done little else since.

Whilst I love both events I think that unless the prices are addressed you might find attendances beginning to drop (particularly at LFCC where of course you have to also pay to get in.)

there are a lot of good points in here but...

*dont hit me*

arent we being a little picky? i mean i know things could be better and i guess its good to know how to improve things but... i dunno. i dont think its up to showmastesr to give people cheaper hotels. there are deals out there its just a case of looking about a bit.

i guess im just really appreciative of what SM have given me already. (not that im saying you arent of course)

i personally think the main problem at lfacc happens when the door opens. because the guests are all the way down the other end of the hall there is a mad dash to get tickets. and because there are so many different routes that people can take around the stalls, people end up at the tickets in a different order to the order they were queued in. it would be nice if there was only one direct route for the first few opening minutes with crew stopping people from running.

i guess this is a problem at cm too... but thats for another thread.

=x=

i personally think the main problem at lfacc happens when the door opens. because the guests are all the way down the other end of the hall there is a mad dash to get tickets. and because there are so many different routes that people can take around the stalls, people end up at the tickets in a different order to the order they were queued in. it would be nice if there was only one direct route for the first few opening minutes with crew stopping people from running.

i guess this is a problem at cm too... but thats for another thread.

=x=

that could be a good idea, especially when there are big stars eg carrie fisher (i know that was c6 but hey!)

People who are not happy with the dealers, whether it be quantity or variety - do you believe this is up to the dealers themselves to provide "different" things from each other? And as for quantity, I guess the way it works is that the dealers contact Showmasters about attending, not the other way round?

Intresting point but since SM want to fill the hall I'm sure they would contact the dealers direct as well as wait for them to book. I notice that Film fans had a lot of guests, prop displays and dealers where the comic fans have a few guests and very few dealers.

Shouldn't SM do some specific Marketing to attract more comic dealers? I know of a lot of much smaller non guest events that get 20-30 comic dealers yet the LFACC only seems to get aroud 5-10. I bought this up after the first event but there seems to have been no improvement, are SM getting rejections from them? If this keeps up the event should be renamed the Film and TV Con.

I agree completely with the comments of the low quality of photos at the events. Is quality lost when SM superimpose there Logo on it? The best photos at the last CM were in my opinion the wrestlers own shots, I was tempted in getting one despite not knowing a thing about wrestling.

Again I've mentioned this before but the pens on offer are crap!! I always bring my own and usually the guest wants to keep one (Uni Posca or Uni Paint are the best in my opinion). The only exception is a Black or Blue Sharpie on a very light photo, but again I don't get the impression that the photos are chosen while thinking where or how the autograph is going to be placed on it.

Still these (as are most of the other constructive critosisms on this thread) are small issues, and I can go to over comic events to buy comics and bring my own photos and pens but for the average or passing customer (for CM) these litle things could meen the difference in the customer turning up at the next event or staying at home.

Basil

Again I've mentioned this before but the pens on offer are crap!! I always bring my own and usually the guest wants to keep one (Uni Posca or Uni Paint are the best in my opinion). The only exception is a Black or Blue Sharpie on a very light photo, but again I don't get the impression that the photos are chosen while thinking where or how the autograph is going to be placed on it.

I have to agree. I went to see Paul Norell first thing on Sunday morning, he'd only seen one or two people before me. When he got round to signing the photo, he picked up the silver and found that it didn't work- he had to look around and get a crew member to nick a silver pen from a guest further down who hadn't arrived yet, and then that one splurged a little on the photo. Pens should be checked either in the evening or the morning, and spare ones kept for each guest- it's not like they're never gonna be used if the old ones don't run out.

everyone commenting about photos - in some cases I agree, take the Dwight sellection at c6, I had to get a SG one not a ST one cause they were all crappy :lol: but I like SG so it's not so bad :D anyways this has been mentioned before:

alot of stills have COPYRIGHT on them which means that SM can't just go out n get any photo they please. while we complain there isn't a wide enough selection or the printing isn't good, it could be the best SM could get with copyright restrictions

of course, I can't speak for them or anything on this but this is what has been said in past topics about photos. :lol:

pens are indeed checked! as a member of the c6 and LFACC2 crew I have seen it being done or know friends crewing that have spent hours checking all the pens! unfortunately, the odd few might be missed or it could be that they are checked but then give out - you know, how a pen works for a bit then doesn't again?

cheaper personal items is something that always comes up and every time it is mentioned you get the same old comments back e.g. "SM is a business, needs to make money" or "it's the price of the sig you are paying for" or "SM have to cover all the guests costs with the auto charge" etc. this is of course all very true. I had a thread about it before and that's some of the stuff that was thrown back at me. however, espesh as a student, cheaper personal items would be fantastic, even more so when you have to buy your own photo at the event cause they haven't got the one you want etc, and some guests are a tad overly priced, as it has been mentioned. I'm not going to name guests or anything that I wouldn't pay £15 for but would be more likely to meet if they were £10 cause that's a little mean but, again as it's been said, some guests are £15 when they haven't really done all that much. however, as this has come up before, the cost of the sig is meant to reflect the cost of getting the guest to the event not how big a star they are, though obv bigger names want higher fee etc. I hope that makes sense to you and doesn't sound contradictary? :rolleyes: this has all been said before anyways in most event threads. :wub:

LFACC2 did seem less busy to LFACC1. BUT, busier than another show I attended between C6 and LFACC2. I think when judging how busy an event is you have to remember that shows like Collectormania have all the "bumpf" people like shoppers having a nose and randoms who look and don't buy anything. also, unless you were an Aliens or Stargate fan, maybe you would have given LFACC2 a miss. yes there were LotR guests and of course the odd ST/SW person but alot of these had been at recent SM/CM events, take Craig Parker, Paul Norell and Ray Park as examples. I believe if LFACC3 has more non-circuit guests or ones that haven't appeared at an event recently, it would def be busier. and who ever said it went quiet at 12:30, don't forget ALOT of people were in talks and guests start to have lunch breaks so alot of attendees leave while the guest is on a break then come back in again :D

phew think I've covered everything I wanted to, these discussion threads are fun :rolleyes:

surfy sah xx

• Moderators

London's a bitch for transport to be honest. I mean, if ya think of Milton Keynes, it's usually just a straight train or two for most people, or a car ride, or even a coach ride. But London .. there's always strikes on the tube, or problems on the tube, it's hell to drive around in a car, and even if you get a coach there then you have to use other transport to connect to your eventual destination. London is a great place BUT hell on Earth when it comes to transport lol Generally there's always ways of getting around the transport problems, but it's very tricky if you don't know London well B)

The only improvement I can think of now is really if there is some way to get a cash machine to the venue. Somebody here mentioned that these things can be rented and put up temporarily a while ago.

If a cash machine was rented, you'd then be charged to take your own money out....don't think people would be too happy with that although yes, there isn't a cash machine close enough. Speaking from a crew member point of view, I had no idea where the was a nearer cash machine, aside from the one I knew of by the Mcdonalds :P

And yep, the pens are checked....I always doodle on a piece of paper before the guest arrives to check and filter out the dead Sharpies from the useful ones :)

The only improvement I can think of now is really if there is some way to get a cash machine to the venue. Somebody here mentioned that these things can be rented and put up temporarily a while ago.

If a cash machine was rented, you'd then be charged to take your own money out....don't think people would be too happy with that although yes, there isn't a cash machine close enough. Speaking from a crew member point of view, I had no idea where the was a nearer cash machine, aside from the one I knew of by the Mcdonalds :(

And yep, the pens are checked....I always doodle on a piece of paper before the guest arrives to check and filter out the dead Sharpies from the useful ones :)

Well, that doesn't bother me personally as I am from abroad. I have to pay fees anyway if I use a cash machine in the UK.

You'd be charged at least £1.50 to take your money out and after several trips back to the machine, it soon adds up. I wouldn't be prepared to pay it but I take a bulk amount of money before I go to avoid this...Wembley is not a fantastic place for amenities like proper cash machines but as far transport links, space and reasonable (But usually unaffordable) accomodation facilities are concerned, it's an ideal location - it's difficult to get a perfect combination of what they need for a convention but I suppose that's the closest they could find. If SMs did hire a machine, people would happily take their money out then complain or complain about the machine anyway. In a lot of situations (not just a small matter like this), Showmasters can't win either way...there are no perfect solutions for everyone for everything but they can at least try-it's good to hear what people think needs improving though :) I've never been to LFACC as a fan, only as a crew member so any comments help me anyway :)

You'd be charged at least £1.50 to take your money out and after several trips back to the machine, it soon adds up. I wouldn't be prepared to pay it but I take a bulk amount of money before I go to avoid this...Wembley is not a fantastic place for amenities like proper cash machines but as far transport links, space and  reasonable (But usually unaffordable) accomodation facilities are concerned, it's an ideal location - it's difficult to get a perfect combination of what they need for a convention but I suppose that's the closest they could find. If SMs did hire a machine, people would happily take their money out then complain or complain about the machine anyway. In a lot of situations (not just a small matter like this), Showmasters can't win either way...there are no perfect solutions for everyone for everything but they can at least try-it's good to hear what people think needs improving though :) I've never been to LFACC as a fan, only as a crew member so any comments help me anyway :)

Hey, if it was only 1.50, I'd be happy. Last time I was charged about 3 pounds at a bank...

I try to take most money with me from Germany right away, but sometimes there are those little emergencies. :D But I make a point out of never going to get money more than once.

Edited by Queen_Sindel

pens are indeed checked! as a member of the c6 and LFACC2 crew I have seen it being done or know friends crewing that have spent hours checking all the pens! unfortunately, the odd few might be missed or it could be that they are checked but then give out - you know, how a pen works for a bit then doesn't again?

The comment was not that the pens are checked it was the type of pens offered.

The Silver Sharpie leaves a n ugly autograph and the black sharpie only works on light photos.

Basil

The comment was not that the pens are checked it was the type of pens offered.

The Silver Sharpie leaves a n ugly autograph and the black sharpie only works on light photos.

Basil

Sharpies are professional autograph pens, though, of course, you're always more than welcome to use your own if you don't like them :D.

In the end, I'd rather SMs got their (usual) excellent selection of guests rather than wasting time wioth cash machines etc. It's not like you're suddenly dropped into LFACC, so you could always go to your bank before and get money out (preferably in £5 notes :D).