What is the big deal with Wrestling ?

Maybe the question ought to be...

What's *your* problem with wrestling?

Sorry, that was maybe a little harsh, but I have to admit to finding your descriptions of wrestlers to be a little offensive.

This is where I have to admit to having wrestled a little myself, the level of skill involved is unbelievable, and as for saying it's fake? you show me a foolproof way of faking a 16 feet fall onto a table, and I'll believe you.

The truth of the matter is that matches are scripted, by which I mean the outcome is already known by both wrestlers going in to the match (or more if there are more), but more often than not, other than agreeing a specific set of moves with the referee (most likely would be the last set of moves, which leads to the count - or other decision - being given), matches are *not* specifically choreographed to the most minute detail as most people seem to think they are. (There are however exceptions to this, and some matches *are* choreographed, but those are the real legendary matches, where there'll be a lot of high spots in the action)

I personally think that you were just going out of your way to be rude when you called wrestlers "a bunch of steroid munching panto stars in glittery suits somersaulting round the ring", not exactly the best way to welcome a new set of guests to England is it?

In short, unless you're prepared to actually sit down and watch it, step back from the (often quite ridiculous) storylines, and be entertained, you'll never understand the big deal at all.

What's *your* problem with wrestling then?

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Moderators
good on you mate for starting this topic, I was going to start a simular post but fears of being attacked by everyone stopped me ;)

without being rude or posting something SM feel they should delete or edit, these guests seem to be of the genre you would find in Birmingham, sports stars :uhoh:

GG I feel has made valid points in his post which I agree with :D - ok so wrestling is on tv, so are the olympics and all other sports, does that mean we should expect more from the sporting genre in the future?

I know wrestling memrobillia is collectable, all the kids have the action figures and the toys and everything but it's a little like Carrie Fisher being £25, once one star does they will all want more, the same with wrestling stars, once you have a few and the "flood gates" open, how or will they be shut?? ;):huh:

I'm not a fan myself but it will save some money and hopefully deflect some guests away from queues I will be standing in :D

finally, people shouldn't feel they can't post this kind of topic, a forum is for discussion and this gives everyone a chance to say their thoughts and feelings, and, as people have pointed out, everyone is entitled to an opinion :D

surfy sah xx

I'm not gonna argue with u, I'm just gonna present my opinions.

As far as I'm concerned, wrestling fans have EVERY RIGHT to meet their idols as much as any fan of Lord of the Rings, Star Trek, Stargate etc ... u know? I mean, football fans are VAGUELY catered for at Memorabilia, sure ... but that's not that big is it? Who do u get? A few older players, who are great to meet, but it's not a HUGE coverage considering the amount of players there have been ... right? While I'm sure you're aware of just how many shows cover sci-fi films/tv shows and other genres!

So, I for one am VERY happy that someone has decided to delve into a new and fresh area that hasn't really been covered before! I don't see it as more suited to Memorabilia just cuz they had some footballers and a couple of boxers, big deal! I honestly do not see WRESTLING in this form (WWE etc) as a sport, and neither do many other fans, they see SPORTS ENTERTAINMENT and while u are entertained by the shows u watch, we're entertained by what we like!

What many people are aware of is the fact that Wrestling is pre-planned a lot of the time. It has scripts, it has characters, it has everything that is covered by YOUR kind of shows. Just, it's a totally different way of presenting it! SPORTS themselves should not be pre-planned, there's no written characters or anything like that, and so I can see SPORT being a lot further away from anything that Showmasters have had before ... but wrestling? No, it's different, and many people who AREN'T fans just can't understand that because they don't know what's involved.

What's the harm in giving MORE FANS what they want? Sure, u'd love more Stargate guests or CSI or something like that, but do you REALLY think that having 2 wrestlers at an event is going to stop Showmasters from signing RDA or any of the main CSI cast if they're available? Of course not! Having Sala and Lawrence and Andy and Billy appear at multiple events is never going to stop Showmasters from signing ELIJAH WOOD if he's free! Just because we're used to getting 30 guests, it doesn't mean it's set at 30 guests and then no more. Tom Cruise phones up, "hey i'm free!" ... hmm I can just imagine Mark saying "oh, no thanks, we've already got enough guests" ... u know?

At the end of the day, I agree with Sarah (Rickman), it's giving more coverage of fan bases by introducing something new. And I see no point in being so negative about an obviously positive situation - I *hate* all the LOTR SUCKS stuff and all of that, I wish EVERYONE could be understanding about peoples enjoyment, no matter what the genre is! So, wrestling is no less valid than anything else that has been covered in the past. Yes, everyone is entitled to an opinion, I just don't see what coming on here and saying such negative things about something is ACTUALLY going to help in any way at all? ...

I have to stick my nose in here.

I wrestle as some of you may or may not know.

It's not fake. Yes it is predetermined (let's face it kayfabe is dead) but Matches are not pre planned, you know how the match is going to finish and that's probably about it. As DavidB said, Wrestling covers exactly the same aspects as your shows/films do. What's the differencce between a sword fight in Lord Of The Rings or a shot out in CSI as I don't know for guests sake Test and Triple H fughting each other because Trips married Steph first? There isn't. Look at it this way. Watch LOTR Return Of The King. Then watch King Of The Ring. Exactly the same aspects a few men fighting for a title, for power whatever!

I know how much wrestling hurts; 2 broken arms, 20 concussions, thousands cuts bruises etc. sometimes the sweat and tears seem too much for some people, but wrestling is something you have in your blood.

You were either brought up with it or learned to like it. Either way there are more wrestling fans out there than you think, yes some are 'in the closet' because they are considered sad by your types of people for liking it. I have been to both an American WWE PPV and a british one and I will say everytime the atmosphere at a british one is ten times better and more British people know that it is predetermined than Americans (No offence meant as my Father too is American)

I for one cannot wait to meet Stacey and Test, However I did kinda see it that Test coming as he is dating lil miss Stacey.

If you don't like it so what? You don't have to meet them do you? But for someone like me who has looked up to Stacey, it means alot. Stacey was the first ever Female wrestler to do a lingerie match, I was the first british female wrestler to do a bra and panties match. So it DOES means something to me, even if it doesn't matter to you.

I'm sorry if you don't see it but amazingly enough people still like Wrestling and it is a great way of relieveing stress and if you still say it's fake or whatever, come to a trianing session, you will soon learn that it hurts.

Sorry.... Rant Over.... *Hides*

Love Peace

Harmony

3x UCW Women's Champion

4FW First Lady MC

Love the new avatar hun...LMAO  :D    :unsure:  :P

Thankies sweetie! :P

Have you beaten Chris up about London yet?

i have spoke to him and unfortunately cant make it hun - we are down london on the 22nd for the LOTR symphony tho..depends if you can move meet to that date???

Love the new avatar hun...LMAO  :unsure:    :P  :P

Thankies sweetie! :P

Have you beaten Chris up about London yet?

i have spoke to him and unfortunately cant make it hun - we are down london on the 22nd for the LOTR symphony tho..depends if you can move meet to that date???

Awwwwwww :D I can't, it's the only day I can get a sitter, and 22nd is a family do too.

*sobs* Ah well I got hugs at Brum, they will keep me going for a bit.

Hi when I asked for different ppl I was shot down in flames.

I was told this is a Film and TV event.

I'm sorry but this fixed, load of rubbish is not entertainment!

I'm sorry if this upsets anyone but this is my opinion.

wrestling makes me laugh, it's one giant, glittery, camp soap opera with muscles and baby oil :huh:

other than that i hate it. still, it's something that produces collectable items and therefore has every right to be included in collectormania.

• Moderators

:D What's the point in being so negative tho? No-one's gonna force ya to go see them! I don't go round saying Farscape is crap cuz I'm actually respectful and believe people can like what they want :D:huh:

:D What's the point in being so negative tho? No-one's gonna force ya to go see them! I don't go round saying Farscape is crap cuz I'm actually respectful and believe people can like what they want :D:huh:

As I said before when I asked for somebody a bit different I was shot down in flames 'THIS IS A FILM AND TV EVENT' nothing else thankyou.

1: Look fact is that if you do not like the guests then just ignore them, I am not a huge fan of LOTR but showmasters events are dominated by them, but i dont post negative things about LOTR.

2: The WWE is doing a huge tour of England in early October, having WWE stars at collectormania is good business for both Showmasters and the WWE.

3: Pro wrestling has a massive and I meen massive fan base.

4: Do not judge all wrestling by WWE standards, because their are literally hundreds of promotions out there. If you don't like WWE give the alternative brands a chance and watch the wrestling channel on sky digital channel 427.

5: Collectormania is not a sci-fi/fantasy fan event, it's a collectors event. It has never been a scence fiction convention!

6: Many wrestling fans attend these shows, look at the stalls at collectorania you will see loads selling WWE action figures. They are one of the biggest selling action figure licences.

7: How many sports have a channel dedicated solely to them, wrestling does because it has such a big fan base.

8: Wrestling is pre-determined, it has storylines just like LOTR, Star Trek etc. Watch it as an entertainment product, and at the same time respect the amazing talent of the wrestlers.

9: Check a forum like UKFF.COM to actually understand the minds of wrestling fans, and maybe learn a bit about pro wrestling.

10: If you do not like pro wrestling attend FWA Hotwired in 2 weeks at The Broxbourne Cixic Hall, and you will be blown away by how amazing pro wrestling is live. Alternatively attend an upcoming WWE show in October.

11: How can anyone complain about Stacy being a guest

skeibler1.jpg

skeibler2.jpg

She is gorgeous :D

• Moderators
As I said before when I asked for somebody a bit different I was shot down in flames 'THIS IS A FILM AND TV EVENT' nothing else thankyou.

Yeah but this is where it doesn't make sense .... u were not happy people said that to u, so then u turn round and say stuff about wrestling? That doesn't seem fair :D Anyone should feel free to request whoever the hell they want! AND to like whatever they want! Jeez, we all have common ground here, why's everyone gotta insult everything else?!

Exactly TV and Film. The Wrestling Channel and Sky Sports or do they not class as TV?

Do PPV's not class as TV?

WWE Have FOUR different TV SHOWS

So does this not count or do I live in some crazy world?

Exactly lol.

Wrestling has a whole channel devoted to it, Wrestling Channel sky digital 427 which shows - NOAH, ROH, NWA-TNA, FWA, CZW, MLW ETC ETC!

Sky Sports show - WWE RAW, WWE Smackdown, WWE Classics, Heat, Velocity, Afterburn, Bottom Line.

Sky 1 show - Smackdown, Tough Enough, Bottom Line, Afterburn

That's a lot of TV. And if people wanna play nasty, I see Test (i know he is injured at the moment) and Stacy on tv every week, I only saw most of these Star Wars and LOTR guests on screen for no more than 2 minutes!

The show is called COLLECTORMANIA..!!!!!!

there is a hell of a lot of wrestling collectibles and memorabilia out there...

now WHERE does it say they have to be TV or movie stars to attend this event.

??????

In the Collectormania Frequently Asked Questions section it says:

"Collectormania is a large Film, TV and Sci-Fi show held twice yearly in Milton Keynes"

I think your answer is right there:

Film, TV and Sci Fi show - wrestling is on television hence it's part of that description.

Yes wrestling is staged, but so's LOTR or Buffy or anything else. They are all things for different tastes. Some people like (in my case Buffy and wrestling) and in others don't (LOTR). It's simply to bring in a different group of people who wouldn't normally attend.

• Moderators

Film, TV and Sci Fi show - wrestling is on television hence it's part of that description.

Yes wrestling is staged, but so's LOTR or Buffy or anything else. They are all things for different tastes. Some people like (in my case Buffy and wrestling) and in others don't (LOTR). It's simply to bring in a different group of people who wouldn't normally attend.

U mean Buffy isn't real? :firedevil:

U mean Buffy isn't real? :unsure:

shush :unsure: Of course it's real!