Doctor who guests (LFCC 2023)

D-C-A

Also a lot of my horror friends were incredibly Jealous of my signature of Kenneth Cranham, as many were on tighter budgets and were unable to get him or didn’t get in early enough to beat the queues, although whilst a massive horror fan, they wondered why I didn’t get it on Hellraiser, my response being I only get Doctor who stuff signed, and Hellbound: Hellraiser 2 is a film that I was bored to death by, which earned me many fake stabbings by 2 Jason’s, 2 ghostfaces, a Freddy Kruger and a Sydney Campbell.

• Like 1

On 7/8/2023 at 5:35 PM, Mfahey79 said:

I couldn't justify getting Michael Carter in the end. I was umming and ahhing even up to the point I was in the queue. And i just thought if I'm this undecided. Then dont get him. Had he been a £10 or £15 guest it would have been different 

I got Carter, he’s a respectable actor and it was his first ever role, but he was uncredited so I do see why some Doctor who fans would be hesitant.

he’s one id definitely list for someone of the more hardcore fans to want him, and I think that whilst I made the right choice it’s is probably one of the hardest ones I’m ever going to justify, and that beats out the likes of Shirley Conrad, Jason Flemyng and Matthew Jacobs on “the Gunfighters”

• Like 1

Also Carolyn Munro was by all accounts a lovely sweetheart she remembered recording the story but not the story itself god love her, as we were chatting she asked how old it was and I said at least 20 years, she opened the booklet of Omega and she saw a photo of herself from 2003 and god love her she hasn’t aged a day since.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, D-C-A said:

I was overall staggered and shocked by how many people were queuing for him, almost felt bad for Brian Bovell, no one could really get to him as a result of it all, and whilst I got him oh my copy of Series 4, I just talked to him about Chernobyl because I loved him in that, (also spoke to Robert Emms the previous day about it, and he looked at me like I was crazy as I’ve watched it 26 times) and he kept going on and on about it, but I couldn’t hold up that really long line any further than it had already been.

Possibly as he had 3 franchisea that people were after him for, Harry Potter, Star Wars and Doctor Who. Covered a lot of bases I guess.

Brian still had a steady queue whilst I was there mind

8 hours ago, D-C-A said:

Really from this con I’ve not been disappointed, I got all bar 2 things I wanted signed and other things as well.

the first thing I didn’t get signed was Sylvester McCoy on the Dalek collection as I decided to save that money as things are financially tight for a while, and then Claudia Christianson, mainly because I assumed as a comic guest £10 was the price but then after 20 minutes of queuing I see a very small sign £40 and I walked, I couldn’t afford it within my budget and I honestly feel the lack of a clear sign nor a upfront notion of cost was a dishonest tactic.

I’d say that’s one of my biggest and main complaints so far, but I don’t know who that is aimed against.

Hard one to call, as a comic zone guest, was she able to set her own price. But then the show had photoshoots for her, which normally are priced similar to a guests autograph prices. So did they have a say or an inkling of the price

Edited by Mfahey79

8 hours ago, D-C-A said:

I got Carter, he’s a respectable actor and it was his first ever role, but he was uncredited so I do see why some Doctor who fans would be hesitant.

he’s one id definitely list for someone of the more hardcore fans to want him, and I think that whilst I made the right choice it’s is probably one of the hardest ones I’m ever going to justify, and that beats out the likes of Shirley Conrad, Jason Flemyng and Matthew Jacobs on “the Gunfighters”

It was a fair price for him as an actor. It was just a hard sell for a Doctor Who autograph. I've got him on a Star Wars photo before which made it easier.

3 hours ago, Mfahey79 said:

Possibly as he had 3 franchisea that people were after him for, Harry Potter, Star Wars and Doctor Who. Covered a lot of bases I guess.

Brian still had a steady queue whilst I was there mind

By all accounts he had what could be considered 3 of the biggest franchises if he did House of Dragon he would have been impossible to get.

3 hours ago, Mfahey79 said:

Hard one to call, as a comic zone guest, was she able to set her own price. But then the show had photoshoots for her, which normally are priced similar to a guests autograph prices. So did they have a say or an inkling of the price

I dunno I just wish they’d been more clear up front so I could have budgeted Better, I don’t mind paying £40 as I’ve done so in the past, but I feel that the unclear nature, in the moment just annoyed me that much.

2 hours ago, Mfahey79 said:

There have been other cases with comic guests where they charge, and charge higher prices, if they are a bigger name, and it does happen with the actor/artists as well some times, but it would have been good if they had listed her price in advance.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mfahey79 said:

It was a fair price for him as an actor. It was just a hard sell for a Doctor Who autograph. I've got him on a Star Wars photo before which made it easier.

I see the point you mean, of course for Star Wars fans that’s a price that’s more than fair, but for a Doctor who fan where he only did 3 episodes all uncredited it’s a stretch at best, then again I don’t think many uncredited Doctor who Actors could bring in such a draw besides the likes of Pat Gorman and John Scott Martin, both sadly deceased.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Raylenth said:

There have been other cases with comic guests where they charge, and charge higher prices, if they are a bigger name, and it does happen with the actor/artists as well some times, but it would have been good if they had listed her price in advance.

She did have a noticeable queue forming, which I guess is because I Babylon 5, and I guess I should have predicted that she was gonna be more than £10 but in the comic zone that rule is usually a standard so hence my assumption, and it was how small her sign was and that it was obscured to give you the last minute punch, really given that little bit of trickery I think I found myself in a situation where I could live without the signature even if I was excited to get it, that £10 I planned would be better used elsewhere (I think that it went with the £25 I saved on Andrew Cartmell on a print from Jeff Cummins, honestly love that man and his work, I would like to say he and I are friends), which is something I’m much more happy with.

• Like 1

And speaking of Cummins I’m gonna (once I’m all settled and pack up at home) work on a script for a short video I plan to entitle “the Jeff Cummins Legacy” talking about the wrong Cyberman on “the Tomb of the Cybermen” and how the error got repeated on the cover of “Revenge of the Cybermen”, he was that god damn lovely.

• Like 1

On 7/9/2023 at 11:42 AM, D-C-A said:

So just quickly posting as news has come about Mike Stevens was a sea Devil something he was greatly annoyed that isn’t listed anywhere.

im gonna look into getting that corrected where I can, IE Doctor who Wiki and IMDB because by god he is lovely meet him even to talk about it, he is super reminiscent about it

Coming out of my oft-lurking state to say that as someone who has worked on the TARDIS Wiki... It's something I've tried before to find a valid reputable publication like DWM, that we can cite for that & get that sorted. Fingers crossed we'll turn up something soon.

(Funnily enough, this past weekend, I actually was quizzing Kev Sutherland about his Amazon author bio, so we could figure out what he'd done in the Whoniverse & properly get him a page on the TARDIS Wiki. Turns out he did a 90s DWM parody comic called The Cosmic Assassins, and some work on Doctor Who Adventures. So we're getting that one sorted soon.)

• Like 2

23 hours ago, JDPManjoume said:

Coming out of my oft-lurking state to say that as someone who has worked on the TARDIS Wiki... It's something I've tried before to find a valid reputable publication like DWM, that we can cite for that & get that sorted. Fingers crossed we'll turn up something soon.

(Funnily enough, this past weekend, I actually was quizzing Kev Sutherland about his Amazon author bio, so we could figure out what he'd done in the Whoniverse & properly get him a page on the TARDIS Wiki. Turns out he did a 90s DWM parody comic called The Cosmic Assassins, and some work on Doctor Who Adventures. So we're getting that one sorted soon.)

I’ve managed to get it added to IMDB but that’s not so strict on what can be added, infact that site is missing most of his episodes

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mfahey79 said:

I'll leave the breakdown for @D-C-A as this his forte, but already it seems the winter show has more Doctor Who guests than the summer show, but we were kind of expecting that being close to the anniversary 

Thank you bob, you're bob now

• Haha 1

So we have had a wonderful announcement straight away so lets get into this.

first we have an actor i thought was dead in the form of Vernon Dotcheff who is best known to Doctor who fans (and continuity enthusiasts as a horrible man) as the Scientist in "the War games" along with his beard, he is also in Big Finish audios, "The Cradle of the Snake" from he main range, "The Necropolis Express" from Jago and Litefoot, "The Children of Seth" from The Lost Stories, "Threshold" from Counter Measures and "The Genesis Chamber" from Philip Hinchcliffe Presents, he is £15 for autograph and signature, he is attending sunday.

VernonDobtcheffWeb.png

next we have Ann Firbank who has appeared in an audio from Gracless 4 entitled "The Bomb" where she played a character called Abby, i've not listened to them so i can't possibly comment, she is attending Saturday and is £20.

AnnFirbankWeb.png

of course we have regular attendee Julian Glover who for Doctor who fans is of course King Richard the Lionhart from "The Crusade" meaning options are rather wide IE "The Crusade" CD, VHS and Season 2 Blu Ray boxset, and of course "The City of Death" where he was Scarroth, options for this story are of course the DVD and the Season 17 boxset. he is attending on the Saturday and is £25 for Autograph or Photo.

JulianGloverWeb.png

Michael Jenn who had cancelled from July is appearing Saturday of this con he appeared in a sole episode of Series 7, "The Name of the Doctor" so you can add him to A complete series 7 or a copy of the 50th Anniversary collectors set, he is £15 for Photo or Autograph.

MichaelJennWeb.png

• Like 1

I'll add Brian Blessed when his page has been added also they listed Gemma Jones as having done Doctor who, but her IMDB doesn't and whilst a Gemma Jones is listed for Doctor who it is unlikely to be the same actress as the doctor who one is uncredited as a school girl.

35 minutes ago, D-C-A said:

Thank you bob, you're bob now

Alright, I'll let you do a full one later though. 

For the Winter show, we have the man of a million franchises. Julian Glover, chances are if your not getting him for Doctor Who. You're getting him for Star Wars, Harry Potter, Blake's 7 (place the apostrophe where you will), Indiana Jones etc.....  But either way the guy is a bona fide legend. For Doctor Who, He was Richard of Lionheart in the Crusades & Scaroth in City of Death. Absolute gent to meet

Vernon Dobtcheff - Another multi franchise alumni. But for Doctor Who he was a scientist in the War Games

Michael Jenn - Rescheduled from the summer show - But played Clarence DeMarco in the Name of the Doctor and minisode - Clarence and the Whispermen

Brian Blessed - even if you didnt see the announcement, you surely heard him announce it

And that is my brief synopsis

It still looks like Vernon is holding a usb stick, even though that is impossible for the era that photo is taken from. 

Hopefully we get more guests from this era, even if I cant attend. I will be taking full advantage of the pre-ordering service

okay so i just found the Brian post on here.

so yeah we have BRIAN BLESSED (Yes in capitals because shouting), who was in "Mindwarp" episode 5-8 of "A Trial of a Timelord" meaning your options are the DVD or the Boxset of Season 23, he is £50 for an autograph, £35 for a photo or £90 for a Diamond Pass, he is attending the Saturday only.

Forum-Brian-Blessed-003.jpg

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, D-C-A said:

So we have had a wonderful announcement straight away so lets get into this.

first we have an actor i thought was dead in the form of Vernon Dotcheff who is best known to Doctor who fans (and continuity enthusiasts as a horrible man) as the Scientist in "the War games" along with his beard, he is also in Big Finish audios, "The Cradle of the Snake" from he main range, "The Necropolis Express" from Jago and Litefoot, "The Children of Seth" from The Lost Stories, "Threshold" from Counter Measures and "The Genesis Chamber" from Philip Hinchcliffe Presents, he is £15 for autograph and signature, he is attending sunday.

I was surprised as well, but when I looked at his IMDB page, i was amazed to see he was not only alive, but was still acting in so many films and tv shows. And surprised in a good way

19 minutes ago, D-C-A said:

I'll add Brian Blessed when his page has been added also they listed Gemma Jones as having done Doctor who, but her IMDB doesn't and whilst a Gemma Jones is listed for Doctor who it is unlikely to be the same actress as the doctor who one is uncredited as a school girl.

That was my thinking, i think they've just done a quick scan on the Doctor Who wiki, seen the name, and made a lazy assumption its the same person, rather than look at it properly

2 minutes ago, Mfahey79 said:

It still looks like Vernon is holding a usb stick, even though that is impossible for the era that photo is taken from. 

Hopefully we get more guests from this era, even if I cant attend. I will be taking full advantage of the pre-ordering service

I would hope we get more of the era, as the announcement of Vernon has me excited and given that "The War Games" is a favourite story, i'm gonna go for a photo with him, if they get any more from much older stories definitely gonna get more photos.