Doctor who guests (LFCC 2023)

D-C-A

22 minutes ago, Mfahey79 said:

It's a shame you cant find a copy of the Aztecs before next weekend, as looking at the extras, Paul Cornell could have been added as well.

If their involved in the DVD or audio play whether as extras or documentaries, then they have contributed so I'd add them too.

I'll give it a thought to see what combinations I can throw together

I have got my eye on two copies of the Aztecs signed by Russell sadly there’s two issues the cover signed copy is an original ruling it out of having Purves and O’Brien, and the second is the special edition booklet.

that’s a good shout on Cornell however, so I’m gonna keep that one in mind and take the cover and see how good I am with my cash 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, D-C-A said:

I have got my eye on two copies of the Aztecs signed by Russell sadly there’s two issues the cover signed copy is an original ruling it out of having Purves and O’Brien, and the second is the special edition booklet.

that’s a good shout on Cornell however, so I’m gonna keep that one in mind and take the cover and see how good I am with my cash 

I couldnt remember the name of the film earlier. But you could go for the film Hotel!. Featuring Paul McGann, Peter Capaldi and Bradley Walsh, in one brief scene. And you could go further and add Art Malik and Keeley Hawes as well. Although getting Bradley and Peter to a convention will be a hard push. I wont say impossible mind.

6 minutes ago, Mfahey79 said:

Looking at William Russel on IMDB I never realised he appeared in the 1st season of Blackadder

Unlike Uncle baldrick it wasn’t a large part, infact I put a William Russell signed dvd on my EBay watchlist (The edge of destruction) and the seller has accidentally offered me a 91% discount 

17 minutes ago, D-C-A said:

Unlike Uncle baldrick it wasn’t a large part, infact I put a William Russell signed dvd on my EBay watchlist (The edge of destruction) and the seller has accidentally offered me a 91% discount 

It's probably why I never noticed him before, I knew he did Robin of Sherwood, again a small part. I'm surprised that there wasnt more from that show crossed over to Doctor Who, I know Jason Connery did. And even remembered the episodes he was in. I'm guessing that it's down to ITV and BBC never crossing the streams so to speak in the 80's

That is a great deal

Edited by Mfahey79

Just now, Mfahey79 said:

It's probably why I never noticed him before, I knew he did Robin of Sherwood, again a small part. I'm surprised that there wasnt more from that show crossed over to Doctor Who, I know Jason Connery did. And even remembered the episodes he was in. I'm guessing that it's down to ITV and BBC never crossing the streams so to speak in the 80's

It was the last vestiges of an era where if you did productions for one company it was taboo to work for the other, it’s how they kept Patrick Troughton for a third year, they offered him a large role in one production of great esteem (for the 1960s) and as such he couldn’t really go and do ITV so Doctor who was all that was really available in the meantime but they did do a reduced work week for him.

also I was thinking more unorthodox and “The Edge of Destruction” can have the likes of Terry Molloy and Warris Hussain

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, D-C-A said:

It was the last vestiges of an era where if you did productions for one company it was taboo to work for the other, it’s how they kept Patrick Troughton for a third year, they offered him a large role in one production of great esteem (for the 1960s) and as such he couldn’t really go and do ITV so Doctor who was all that was really available in the meantime but they did do a reduced work week for him.

also I was thinking more unorthodox and “The Edge of Destruction” can have the likes of Terry Molloy and Warris Hussain

I knew what you meant I was just going off on a tangent, and not within the Doctor Who sphere. 

An 8th Doctor poster with all the companions he names in Night of the Doctor, with Grace and Yee Jee Tso. But then that's not unorthodox as you mean, thats more working within what's on screen and audio

It's like randomly Peter Davison, Janet Fielding and Mark Striksen are interviewed on the Underwater Menace Dvd. So could be considered

On 6/30/2023 at 4:07 PM, Mfahey79 said:

It's a shame you cant find a copy of the Aztecs before next weekend, as looking at the extras, Paul Cornell could have been added as well.

If their involved in the DVD or audio play whether as extras or documentaries, then they have contributed so I'd add them too.

I'll give it a thought to see what combinations I can throw together

Looking at my list for this con the main combinations i'm getting are Two on Series 4 bringing that up to 6 signatures, those being Adrian Rawlings (Not great not Terrible) and Michael Brandon, i'll be jumping Lost in time from 11 to 12 with the addition of Mike Stevens who i'm going to combo "The Mind of Evil" with Michael Carter.

then "Delta and the Bannermen" will jump a significant amount from  8 to 11 with the addition of Sylvester McCoy, Andrew Cartmell and Paul Cornell, the former two will also be joining my WHSmith Dalek set to jump that from 2 to 4.

Going back to Mike Stevens every cover i've chosen for him (5 in total) has been chosen to combo with other signatures with the only blank cover being "The Mind of Evil" as he will be joining that with Michael Carter, He'll push "The Ambassadors of Death" from 3 to 4, "the Time Monster" from 4 to 5 ETC, basically he's a nice treasure trove of additions.

I'm finally gonna get Colin Baker on "The Twin Dilemma" so he can join the 5 on that particular set, and if money is good enough, i'm gonna get him to sign another page of my copy of "Light at the end".

Also depending on how things go as per your suggestion i've packed my cover of "The Aztecs" Special Edition 

• Like 1

At one point I was considering not going, as this is a poor line up for myself. But as I've paid for parking and my hotel, I'm going to make most of it.

Friday will be my busiest day, not for Doctor Who mind, but over course of the weekend I'll add Michael Carter, Adrian Rawlings and Mike Stevens to my 500 year Diary.

I might try for Matt Smith on a virtual ticket to add to my season 5 steelbook, but I'm happy enough if not possible.

personally I've always been about getting the actual media signed where possible, in fact i've over half a dozen Big finish covers to be signed this con, which is my biggest haul in that department so far.

as for myself even without Matt Smith i was always planning to attend for the simple reason of this is most of my out and about life, i am looking forward to it as the previously met to newly met this time is a healthy balance in the favour of not met prior, strangely enough whilst doing checks on people on doctor who features and Andrew Cartmell moderated the Commentary on "The Sea Devils", so by all means I've added that to my list in case i decide to get that signed as well, as short of Donald Sumpter making an appearance at Cons i'm taking what i can get.

• Like 1

On 6/30/2023 at 9:03 PM, Mfahey79 said:

I knew what you meant I was just going off on a tangent, and not within the Doctor Who sphere. 

An 8th Doctor poster with all the companions he names in Night of the Doctor, with Grace and Yee Jee Tso. But then that's not unorthodox as you mean, thats more working within what's on screen and audio

It's like randomly Peter Davison, Janet Fielding and Mark Striksen are interviewed on the Underwater Menace Dvd. So could be considered

That DVD release i have often looked at with great disdain given its lacklustre contents and that it seemed like punishment from the BBC for asking for a physical release of an Episode that whilst sounding greedy we were expecting for 4 years by that point, give us barely anything to enjoy, i do happen to enjoy said Story, not what they did to it however, but thats by all accounts a good if very unorthodox signing.

Looking at most of the early seasons its very much a case of if your the type of fan who only wants the regulars IE Doctor and Companion, you're gonna be out of luck very quickly, "The Ambassadors of death" as i may have mentioned previously has the nasty distinction in concern to Episode 6, that is the earliest confirmed episode with no surviving actors, which is why if someone who attends who has been in that story or is involved, it makes that an ideal DVD cover (and yet i didn't get Levene to sign it last time i saw him), i have encountered a couple of fans who have had said mentality and each to their own but not my thing, I've always appreciated (all but 3 people) related to Doctor who and would get them if i can, so far not a single person i've met over the past 5ish years has yet to pass so i'm assuming i'm lucky there?.

probably jinxed myself there.

1 hour ago, D-C-A said:

personally I've always been about getting the actual media signed where possible, in fact i've over half a dozen Big finish covers to be signed this con, which is my biggest haul in that department so far.

as for myself even without Matt Smith i was always planning to attend for the simple reason of this is most of my out and about life, i am looking forward to it as the previously met to newly met this time is a healthy balance in the favour of not met prior, strangely enough whilst doing checks on people on doctor who features and Andrew Cartmell moderated the Commentary on "The Sea Devils", so by all means I've added that to my list in case i decide to get that signed as well, as short of Donald Sumpter making an appearance at Cons i'm taking what i can get.

I'd booked it as soon as tickets became available, it's the one show I make sure I attend every year. Just this year has been underwhelming guest wise. I'll be taking advantage of the weekend come what may, and maybe able to explore parts I dont normally see, or only see in passing as I'd be in the autograph area or waiting for photoshoots. 

This year they have a pop up village that Neil Patrick Harris was on the showmasters adverts for. Which was leading me to think they'd landed him. But then if they had, would it have been too soon for him to sign for Doctor Who?

I've a few DVDs that I have signed, and the Light at the End. But it's not my 1st choice, mostly when I see that a particular show has a number of the cast from that story is when I tend to go for it. 

1 hour ago, D-C-A said:

Looking at most of the early seasons its very much a case of if your the type of fan who only wants the regulars IE Doctor and Companion, you're gonna be out of luck very quickly, "The Ambassadors of death" as i may have mentioned previously has the nasty distinction in concern to Episode 6, that is the earliest confirmed episode with no surviving actors

I think this is probably the main reason for me not going down the DVD cover route, as there would be so many gaps in the early stories. Not just the for regulars, but for the guest actors.

52 minutes ago, Mfahey79 said:

I'd booked it as soon as tickets became available, it's the one show I make sure I attend every year. Just this year has been underwhelming guest wise. I'll be taking advantage of the weekend come what may, and maybe able to explore parts I dont normally see, or only see in passing as I'd be in the autograph area or waiting for photoshoots. 

This year they have a pop up village that Neil Patrick Harris was on the showmasters adverts for. Which was leading me to think they'd landed him. But then if they had, would it have been too soon for him to sign for Doctor Who?

I've a few DVDs that I have signed, and the Light at the End. But it's not my 1st choice, mostly when I see that a particular show has a number of the cast from that story is when I tend to go for it. 

I think what annoyed me about 2021 show was that Flux if i recall had only just finished broadcasting, and they had two actors who were in it prominently, which i didn't then get them to sign as obviously at that time there wasn't a Blu Ray or DVD to be signed, if i could change that, i wouldn't because i'd have preferred to have the set, admittedly around that time period i didn't have the same financially luxuries that i have now, and the dedication i have to cross referencing names, as for Harris, yeah maybe it would unless they have a print of him in Doctor who to be bought, but i'd imagine he would be a serious amount of money to get, something which whilst without a Blu Ray set, i wouldn't be willing to pay, unless the Trailer is on "The Power of the Doctor" then i can justify it.

52 minutes ago, Mfahey79 said:

I think this is probably the main reason for me not going down the DVD cover route, as there would be so many gaps in the early stories. Not just the for regulars, but for the guest actors.

I have had plenty of healthy options here and there and by the 1980's you basically need just 4 guests and you can have one from any story of the period and thats not even Doctor wise, but 1960's since the likes of Pat Gorman and John Scott-Martin are no longer with us you've no chance anymore sadly.

i don't get annoyed by the regular gap solely for the fact it doesn't always come down to how big of a star they are, just what they've been in, the only time and i mean THE ONLY TIME, I've ever been disappointed by a guest was at another convention, where the guest was so obscure they didn't even have a photo of her (She didn't even attend anyway), but thats about it, i suppose my level of excitement mainly comes from where can i Combo or what story they're in/from, IE they could have someone who barely made it beyond an extra, but if they were in "The Invasion" i'd be mega excited because its a top 5 for me, but if they were in say "the Krotons" you can bet i wouldn't be as excited, unless it was Philip Madoc, whose name is on the list, the list of those brought to account, but write what i like, he's dead (Don't tell him Pike), now i have to look for a DVD cover and see if i can find one signed, none of the Stories i have with him are previously signed, so a good chance.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, D-C-A said:

I have had plenty of healthy options here and there and by the 1980's you basically need just 4 guests and you can have one from any story of the period and thats not even Doctor wise, but 1960's since the likes of Pat Gorman and John Scott-Martin are no longer with us you've no chance anymore sadly.

i don't get annoyed by the regular gap solely for the fact it doesn't always come down to how big of a star they are, just what they've been in, the only time and i mean THE ONLY TIME, I've ever been disappointed by a guest was at another convention, where the guest was so obscure they didn't even have a photo of her (She didn't even attend anyway), but thats about it, i suppose my level of excitement mainly comes from where can i Combo or what story they're in/from, IE they could have someone who barely made it beyond an extra, but if they were in "The Invasion" i'd be mega excited because its a top 5 for me, but if they were in say "the Krotons" you can bet i wouldn't be as excited, unless it was Philip Madoc, whose name is on the list, the list of those brought to account, but write what i like, he's dead (Don't tell him Pike), now i have to look for a DVD cover and see if i can find one signed, none of the Stories i have with him are previously signed, so a good chance.

Just checked absolutely no luck on Madoc at all, how unfortunate

1 hour ago, D-C-A said:

I think what annoyed me about 2021 show was that Flux if i recall had only just finished broadcasting, and they had two actors who were in it prominently, which i didn't then get them to sign as obviously at that time there wasn't a Blu Ray or DVD to be signed, if i could change that, i wouldn't because i'd have preferred to have the set, admittedly around that time period i didn't have the same financially luxuries that i have now, and the dedication i have to cross referencing names, as for Harris, yeah maybe it would unless they have a print of him in Doctor who to be bought, but i'd imagine he would be a serious amount of money to get, something which whilst without a Blu Ray set, i wouldn't be willing to pay, unless the Trailer is on "The Power of the Doctor" then i can justify it.

I skipped this one. As a certain Karen Gillan, was elsewhere that weekend. Who then cancelled, such is life think I'm ok to phrase it that way, as it was a past event and not an upcoming one. 

Whilst it's nice for the actors to strike whilst there episodes are fresh, it's frustrating for yourself and myself, who would want them on dvd's or steelbooks. I know that this kind of contradicts my previous statement about dvd covers, but I do like getting the steelbooks signed. Dvd covers are a lot lighter to haul around i can tell you though

1 minute ago, Mfahey79 said:

I skipped this one. As a certain Karen Gillan, was elsewhere that weekend. Who then cancelled, such is life think I'm ok to phrase it that way, as it was a past event and not an upcoming one. 

Whilst it's nice for the actors to strike whilst there episodes are fresh, it's frustrating for yourself and myself, who would want them on dvd's or steelbooks. I know that this kind of contradicts my previous statement about dvd covers, but I do like getting the steelbooks signed. Dvd covers are a lot lighter to haul around i can tell you though

If you see someone with a slightly tattered folder of Doctor who adventures from about 2005 that’s me, that’s how I carry my covers and on occasion parts of Boxsets if I don’t have to take the whole thing

• Like 1

1 hour ago, D-C-A said:

Before the pandemic hit big time, they had Ian McElhinney for the spring show, and it was the day before the season finale. Needless to say, he had no photos from Doctor Who

I dont mind how big a role they've had either, within reason. You've got some actors, who have made numerous appearances and have been lucky to get one or two credits, and yet their resume for episodes they've appeared in rivals the main cast. Derek Chafer and Peter Roy for example, both are still doing the convention circuit, and both would give you combinations of stories to keep you going for a while.

I'm surprised by Phil Madoc, as you would have thought that you would be able to find one or two from him. 

Julian Glover, bless him, asked which character he wanted under his signature unprompted, whilst others who shall remain nameless, have signed their Star Wars characters name, even though they were told it wasnt for Star Wars.  

17 minutes ago, D-C-A said:

If you see someone with a slightly tattered folder of Doctor who adventures from about 2005 that’s me, that’s how I carry my covers and on occasion parts of Boxsets if I don’t have to take the whole thing

I'll keep an eye out for you. I've graduated back to my student days of carrying an art portfolio case around and occasional second bag, this one it will be my smaller book sized one

1 minute ago, Mfahey79 said:

Before the pandemic hit big time, they had Ian McElhinney for the spring show, and it was the day before the season finale. Needless to say, he had no photos from Doctor Who

I dont mind how big a role they've had either, within reason. You've got some actors, who have made numerous appearances and have been lucky to get one or two credits, and yet their resume for episodes they've appeared in rivals the main cast. Derek Chafer and Peter Roy for example, both are still doing the convention circuit, and both would give you combinations of stories to keep you going for a while.

I'm surprised by Phil Madoc, as you would have thought that you would be able to find one or two from him. 

Julian Glover, bless him, asked which character he wanted under his signature unprompted, whilst others who shall remain nameless, have signed their Star Wars characters name, even though they were told it wasnt for Star Wars.  

I remember when I first met Glover he stopped the queue and would ask everyone who they had on their sets, at the time it wasn’t too bad for me as he was number 4 on my set, but George Layton was number 11 and he held up doing photos because he was too interested.

i remember with Ian as it happens that he was listed for Doctor who and I don’t even think the episode with him was even out yet, or was it the day before the finale as I know they had Tosin Cole that day.

god I can’t imagine having the wrong characters name signed, Wanda Moore when I met her asked if I wanted the characters name and when I Said yes made sure to put Professor and was very in character about it.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mfahey79 said:

I'll keep an eye out for you. I've graduated back to my student days of carrying an art portfolio case around and occasional second bag, this one it will be my smaller book sized one

Haha will remember that, mainly as that thing has been through thick and thin, but I love it, I adopted its usage after 2021 because I was carrying I think about 2 dozen sets and one or two boxsets got scuffed.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, D-C-A said:

I remember when I first met Glover he stopped the queue and would ask everyone who they had on their sets, at the time it wasn’t too bad for me as he was number 4 on my set, but George Layton was number 11 and he held up doing photos because he was too interested.

i remember with Ian as it happens that he was listed for Doctor who and I don’t even think the episode with him was even out yet, or was it the day before the finale as I know they had Tosin Cole that day.

god I can’t imagine having the wrong characters name signed, Wanda Moore when I met her asked if I wanted the characters name and when I Said yes made sure to put Professor and was very in character about it.

Tosin Cole, sat with his coat on and hood up all day, just gave off vibes he didnt want to be there, but I'll give him a slight benefit, it was right as the pandemic was hitting so maybe like myself he was nervous about what was happening, but thats probably giving more benefit than he deserves.

I guess with some actors they've signed numerous autographs on the bounce with say a game of thrones character they're on autopilot. No excuse mind. Whereas Julian Glover has to cover practically every franchise going and yet he can take time out, like that to check the show they are here for.