Doctor who guests (LFCC 2023)

D-C-A

Christopher Fairbank was looking through my diary, and was showing a genuine interest in who had signed, and when he spotted the last page before his signature was Vinette Robinson, asked if it was at this show. Made the comment, that he'd have to go and say hi as it's been a while since they'd worked together

Edited by Mfahey79

6 minutes ago, Mfahey79 said:

Tosin Cole, sat with his coat on and hood up all day, just gave off vibes he didnt want to be there, but I'll give him a slight benefit, it was right as the pandemic was hitting so maybe like myself he was nervous about what was happening, but thats probably giving more benefit than he deserves.

I guess with some actors they've signed numerous autographs on the bounce with say a game of thrones character they're on autopilot. No excuse mind. Whereas Julian Glover has to cover practically every franchise going and yet he can take time out, like that to check the show they are here for.  

I remember Tosin being extremely pleasant, almost scared and overwhelmed from my opinion

On 7/2/2023 at 9:59 PM, D-C-A said:

I remember Tosin being extremely pleasant, almost scared and overwhelmed from my opinion

I didn’t have an unpleasant experience with him, just a weird one.

I was running late, arrived about lunchtime but wasn’t too worried as he was there the next day, but as I passed his table there was no one there. I assumed he was stopping for lunch, but no, he was just there on his phone waiting for the next person.

in 20 years I’ve never found it that easy getting a current cast member, needed a VT for nearly all of them.
I’ve had longer queues for Star Wars extras. 

I then joined the queue next to him for Camile.

I won’t be there this weekend, I’ve done all the summer events since 2006, but there was no one of major interest to me this time round. I did consider just doing Friday, but between the trains and my health it’s not worth the agro. Got enough Ewoks. 

On 7/2/2023 at 5:39 PM, D-C-A said:

personally I've always been about getting the actual media signed where possible, in fact i've over half a dozen Big finish covers to be signed this con, which is my biggest haul in that department so far.

I have some pretty obscure ones signed.  It’s always the last thing the actors and writers expect to see. They even sometimes say it’s the first one they’ve signed. 

like Ben Aaronovitch and Steven Moffat on the Bernice Summerfield Treasury, Marina on the Martha Jones, and The Inbetweeners on theirs. 

and one of the first things I got David Tennant to sign was Colditz. Think I have the full cast on that. 

I don’t get everyone on everything anymore though. Whilst I might have Trevor and Chris on every series of Jago and Litefoot that they could sign, and Sophie on pretty much every story she’s been in, one River cover signed by Alex is enough. I still got about 5 things signed by her last time. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, TerraHawk said:

I don’t get everyone on everything anymore though. Whilst I might have Trevor and Chris on every series of Jago and Litefoot that they could sign, and Sophie on pretty much every story she’s been in, one River cover signed by Alex is enough. I still got about 5 things signed by her last time. 

It was so wierd last year, Alex Kingston queue was empty and open queue but the person at front desk still enforced the maximum 3 items. So got 3 signed, and re-joined the queue tonget my last item signed.  I get that the rules are in place but a little common sense could have been applied in a quieter moment

Edited by Mfahey79

54 minutes ago, TerraHawk said:

I didn’t have an unpleasant experience with him, just a weird one.

I was running late, arrived about lunchtime but wasn’t too worried as he was there the next day, but as I passed his table there was no one there. I assumed he was stopping for lunch, but no, he was just there on his phone waiting for the next person.

in 20 years I’ve never found it that easy getting a current cast member, needed a VT for nearly all of them.
I’ve had longer queues for Star Wars extras. 

Same, I was expecting him to be busy, or busier than he was at least. Like you, it was the quietest I've seen a current series main guest, especially whilst their episodes were still being shown. 

11 hours ago, Mfahey79 said:

Same, I was expecting him to be busy, or busier than he was at least. Like you, it was the quietest I've seen a current series main guest, especially whilst their episodes were still being shown. 

My overall guess is that this was at a point where the series had just hit its biggest critical low and on the verge of a global pandemic which lets be honest did make a lot of people paranoid to go outside, so maybe people weren't looking to travel that much for him sad to say

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Mfahey79 said:

It was so wierd last year, Alex Kingston queue was empty and open queue but the person at front desk still enforced the maximum 3 items. So got 3 signed, and re-joined the queue tonget my last item signed.  I get that the rules are in place but a little common sense could have been applied in a quieter moment

the guy on the queue (Saturday) for me was so lovely i sat down waiting for Alex on a account of my knee giving me a world of grief, and i moved when asked with the only delay being my visibly pained knee, which even the one on the queue acknowledged, and of all the people asked to move so the diamond passes could go first i was the only one who did as told, and as a result i was let in with them, everyone else (About 5 people) refused trying to argue they were their first etc etc, but Alex was lovely as all hell.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, D-C-A said:

My overall guess is that this was at a point where the series had just hit its biggest critical low and on the verge of a global pandemic which lets be honest did make a lot of people paranoid to go outside, so maybe people weren't looking to travel that much for him sad to say

You might have hit nail on head there. I know it was in the back of my mind the whole weekend and was being there wise with what was going on, and it was at the start of the pandemic as well, which probably didnt help.

I'll admit it took me an age after getting covid, to face going out into the world again.

Overall i'd say as a Doctor who fan i've done rather well in terms of whose cancelled and the like only losing Michael Jenn and Ernie Hudson, the latter i never had my hopes up for to begin with but Jenn would have liked to had, especially as i bought my copy of Torchwood Miracle Day to be signed by him specifically, shame to say everyone i've ever seen announced to get that thing signed has cancelled.

i've got 21 people on my list and that is a decent haul, maybe would have liked more but oh well could be much worse, i've travelled for 10 before (Was 11 but one didn't show)

13 minutes ago, D-C-A said:

the guy on the queue (Saturday) for me was so lovely i sat down waiting for Alex on a account of my knee giving me a world of grief, and i moved when asked with the only delay being my visibly pained knee, which even the one on the queue acknowledged, and of all the people asked to move so the diamond passes could go first i was the only one who did as told, and as a result i was let in with them, everyone else (About 5 people) refused trying to argue they were their first etc etc, but Alex was lovely as all hell.

Although it is bad about your knee, and hopefully it is not so bad now, at least the guy on the queue was helpful. He's applied a bit of common sense to the situation. 

2 minutes ago, Mfahey79 said:

Although it is bad about your knee, and hopefully it is not so bad now, at least the guy on the queue was helpful. He's applied a bit of common sense to the situation. 

It was extremely painful don't get me wrong but i make it a goal to never make an issue of it beyond maybe a timeout on it, and he was super respectful of that, and working in security i know the announce of having to move people who act like they have some moral high-ground.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, D-C-A said:

Overall i'd say as a Doctor who fan i've done rather well in terms of whose cancelled and the like only losing Michael Jenn and Ernie Hudson, the latter i never had my hopes up for to begin with but Jenn would have liked to had, especially as i bought my copy of Torchwood Miracle Day to be signed by him specifically, shame to say everyone i've ever seen announced to get that thing signed has cancelled.

i've got 21 people on my list and that is a decent haul, maybe would have liked more but oh well could be much worse, i've travelled for 10 before (Was 11 but one didn't show)

I've lost Michael Jenn and a couple of Ewoks, and as it stands I've only Michael Carter for Saturday (potentialy Matt Smith) but without being melodramatic, this is a poor LFCC for me

On 7/2/2023 at 9:57 PM, Mfahey79 said:

Christopher Fairbank was looking through my diary, and was showing a genuine interest in who had signed, and when he spotted the last page before his signature was Vinette Robinson, asked if it was at this show. Made the comment, that he'd have to go and say hi as it's been a while since they'd worked together

I do love when a guest takes an interest in who i've managed to snag on an item, but damn do i feel bad when it holds up the queue, especially when they're popular and theres a queue behind me,

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mfahey79 said:

I've lost Michael Jenn and a couple of Ewoks, and as it stands I've only Michael Carter for Saturday (potentialy Matt Smith) but without being melodramatic, this is a poor LFCC for me

I can understand that, i have seen some people at other events go solely for a guest, and then boom the guest cancelled just prior, even saw someone say it as they were on a bus travelling down from Scotland 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, D-C-A said:

I do love when a guest takes an interest in who i've managed to snag on an item, but damn do i feel bad when it holds up the queue, especially when they're popular and theres a queue behind me,

I was at a show a couple of weeks back, and I'm not giving hints, but it was the opposite and the guests were more chatty that the attendee, and this is not a criticism by any any means  as it least it shows the quest is interested in what is going on. But when you have a limited timescale for signing and there is a queue, then they should be told to step up the pace

16 minutes ago, D-C-A said:

I can understand that, i have seen some people at other events go solely for a guest, and then boom the guest cancelled just prior, even saw someone say it as they were on a bus travelling down from Scotland 

100% this.  I don't book for the guests, I book as it's the main summer show for me. This year it's not the best for me, whereas other years, i've been spoilt, so there'll be no complaints from me

3 minutes ago, Mfahey79 said:

I was at a show a couple of weeks back, and I'm not giving hints, but it was the opposite and the guests were more chatty that the attendee, and this is not a criticism by any any means  as it least it shows the quest is interested in what is going on. But when you have a limited timescale for signing and there is a queue, then they should be told to step up the pace

Its difficult as some guests do attend for many reasons, but in cases where they are there for the fans thats great, i think the worst i've seen was the Joseph Quinn incident last year where people were forced to just get a photo and something signed, and the guy wanted to actually meet his fans.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, D-C-A said:

Its difficult as some guests do attend for many reasons, but in cases where they are there for the fans thats great, i think the worst i've seen was the Joseph Quinn incident last year where people were forced to just get a photo and something signed, and the guy wanted to actually meet his fans.

Yeah, that was mental, just watching from the sidelines the queues were crazy. They definatly underestimated how busy and popular the guy was going to be. 

I'm not knocking guests who want to spend time with their fans, quite the opposite. I'd rather have guests who want to take the time to talk to their fans than those who just sign and next.

It's a hard balance to find between taking time for the fans and getting through to everyone who wants to meet them

41 minutes ago, Mfahey79 said:

Yeah, that was mental, just watching from the sidelines the queues were crazy. They definatly underestimated how busy and popular the guy was going to be. 

I'm not knocking guests who want to spend time with their fans, quite the opposite. I'd rather have guests who want to take the time to talk to their fans than those who just sign and next.

It's a hard balance to find between taking time for the fans and getting through to everyone who wants to meet them

As nasty as it sounds if a guest is popular that does need to be taken into account in terms of the diamond pass a guest should be made aware and try and find the balance but know that people have paid a considerable amount to meet them, thus should be given some time to see them.

17 minutes ago, Mfahey79 said:

I'd rather a guest who takes an interest, than one who doesn't even look up and acknowledge you. Which I'm sure we've all had however small the queue

I remember there being horror stories of a Sons of Anarchy guest who was extremely unpleasant and was ignoring fans before raising prices on guests like what the hell