Sherlock is back **No Spoilers**

Raylenth

I missed a few little bits simply because I couldn't hear what they were saying sometimes, and the 2 minutes of blind panic from when I accidental pressed something on the remote and the picture vanished but yeah it really was very good. A few bits were confusing but they will be the bits being dealt with in the other episodes.

Loved the new bright skull picture on 221b wall and the hint of Sherlock and Mycroft as kids.

• Like 1

I have to say, I wasn't impressed. It's supposed to be a show about a master detective yet all the detecting was over in 30 minutes and then it was a sub-par action adventure story.

I hope the rest of season 4 abandons all the ridiculous gun play for some detecting.

Unlikely given what we know is coming I think. Sherlock has developed beyond the first 2 seasons with the cases being the main focus, they would probably say that they don't really need to do the 'case of the week' being the main focus - Sherlock has proved he can do them so it's moved on to dealing with bigger things.

It's always going to be hard for them to develop the show when they only have 3 episodes per season, yes they are film length, but it's still not a lot. They either keep it the same format of S1 & 2 or do as they have and look at it from the perspective of developing the characters and the bigger stories. I think they did some brave things with this episode and appreciate them not taking the easy way out.

I could waffle on but I'm not going to.

I think one of the difficulties they said they have encountered is that they did a lot of the more famous, longer stories in seasons one and two, so now they are left with the shorter stories which are harder to adapt into an hour and a half episode. Certainly there was more action in last nights epsiode but then again I think the physical side of Sherlock hasn't always been that prominent in the series so far. The character is decscribed in the original stories as being a decent boxer and proficient in martial arts, it's one of the particular aspects of the Robert Downey Jr films I have enjoyed in the past so it was good to see it here as well. There is a tiny cynic in me though that wonders if Cumberbatch asked for a bit more action to show off that he can do that stuff as well, just in case any Hollywood producers are watching! I could see a reality where Tom Hiddlestone as James Bond and Benedict Cumberbatch as a villain exists!

I think the reality is as the series has progressed and people get more invested in the characters, the idea of standalone mystery stories was always going to be difficult to maintain, especially with longer form episodes. They probably went a bit too far with that aspect of character vs plot with season three and to an extent, TAB, but I thought the indications were that last night struck a good balance. I suspect we won't be able to fully judge this until the end of the series though as it does look like the plots are going to run week to week rather than being standalone.

I have a feeling this could be the last run of three episodes we see of Sherlock, it's clearly getting more and more difficult getting the cast together to film it, and I guess the time will come where the key cast members and writers will want to do other things. There do seem to have been odd liltte comments here and there which indicate that things may be coming to an end, I wonder if we might say this series, then possibly a final one off special before things are bought to an end. I guess we will know more on that in a couple of weeks though!

They probably went a bit too far with that aspect of character vs plot with season three and to an extent, TAB,

I have a feeling this could be the last run of three episodes we see of Sherlock, it's clearly getting more and more difficult getting the cast together to film it, and I guess the time will come where the key cast members and writers will want to do other things. There do seem to have been odd liltte comments here and there which indicate that things may be coming to an end, I wonder if we might say this series, then possibly a final one off special before things are bought to an end. I guess we will know more on that in a couple of weeks though!

I loved S3 and TAB :smile:

You aren't the only one saying that, it seems pretty clear that the writing is on the wall for the current format, they have said that where the last episode finishes is a good 'pausing' point essentially. I think they will always be willing to do more, but they will probably 1 off's, either case based (although their ages may start to show they can always do stories from earlier when they met) or they will pick up in the future. IIRC BC hinted recently that he wouldn't be unhappy cutting down on filming everything for a bit and he's got a couple of projects on the go and lined up so may limit what else he takes on. When you think about it as John and Sherlock are the only 2 main characters they are on screen for most of the time, filming wise I think that's about 3 months, a quarter of the year on 1 program! That's a lot of time, especially when you are flitting around the globe on different productions for the rest of the year (though I suppose that at least it keeps them in the UK, and thus maybe at home, for a while)

Edited by Raylenth

I didn't dislike season 3 and TAB as such. I think season 3 just felt at points like there was as much emphasis on the characters relationships with each other as there was in the crime solving. There was still a lot of strong bits in it though, I certainly didn't dislike it as much as some did. I think with TAB, I was really looking forward to a standalone Victorian set episode, so when it turned out to be part of the present day series, I was a bit disappointed. I think little things didn't entirely help, when the trailer came out the phrase "I'm your landlady, not a plot device" felt very knowing and modern, not something someone of that era would have said. It made more sense once the episode was shown but it just slightly jarred. All that said, it had some very strong moments so I didn't dislike it by any means, I just would have preferred something else.

It will be interesting where they go from here. I'm not sure what he looks like in real life at the moment, but Martin Freeman is looking very grey haired in this, suggests they are showing these characters noticeably ageing which could suggest they are drawing things to a close. Might not be that of course, he might just be going grey in real life!

Still if Cumberbatch is looking to do less filming and spend more time in the uk, it gives him more time to attend conventions!

Edited by Count Fooku
  • Like 1

I don't want to go to bed now I'm too hyped, I just want to go and rewatch it again and again.

I'll tread myself to a rewatch tomorrow after work. Or I may download it and watch it on the train. And at work.

• Like 1