Destination Star Trek Is Back!

I sincerely hope they've taken feedback from last time and are looking at making packages either 1) more affordable and/or 2) more flexible. Think it was ludicrous the room wasn't even half full for Leonard Nimoys Skype session, I'd have happily paid for that as a standalone item.

Edited by robmoriarty

I really liked the free talk stage last time round, there were some really good things on there. The episode screenings with the headphones was quite a nice little touch as well. I was disappointed to miss the Leonard Nimoy Skype event and would have liked to go to the Wrath of Khan screening and Q&A but I suppose they have to bring in an element of exclusivity into these things to make the higher priced packages worth paying for.

I really liked the free talk stage last time round, there were some really good things on there. The episode screenings with the headphones was quite a nice little touch as well. I was disappointed to miss the Leonard Nimoy Skype event and would have liked to go to the Wrath of Khan screening and Q&A but I suppose they have to bring in an element of exclusivity into these things to make the higher priced packages worth paying for.

Oh I thought the free stage talks were fab too - Marina and Michael were worth the entry fee alone. Didn't bother with any paid stage talks in favour of pricier autograph/photo combos.

I totally get why they did what they did with making the captain and admiral packages more "exclusive", but if they'd have made them a bit more configurable I think more would've bought into it. As I recall Mr Nimoy was far from impressed after the event when he learned why so few were in with him.

I'd far rather see a system where anyone going say gets given the rank of cadet, then depending on how many credits you buy for stage talks, opening ceremony, autographs etc you get promoted. If you build up the levels you could earn yourself one additional photo shoot or autograph by the time you get to commander level (or something like that) but each package is configured with everything you'd want rather than a mixture of some you do, some your not so fussed by etc

I only went to the one paid talk which was the TNG reunion on the Saturday night, which was a bit of a disappointment, they were quite late starting but finished dead on time, combined with the sound problems I can't say it was the events finest hour. I went to a free talk the next day though with I think Michael Dorn, Levar Burton and John De Lancie and that was great. Much more relaxed and a lot more entertaining.

It'll certainly be interesting to see what the ticket packages look like this year. The first show I went with the commander package and the second I just went with the weekend one and bought add ons. Was pretty happy with both but I think I did less paid for events at the second event.

I only went to the one paid talk which was the TNG reunion on the Saturday night, which was a bit of a disappointment, they were quite late starting but finished dead on time, combined with the sound problems I can't say it was the events finest hour. I went to a free talk the next day though with I think Michael Dorn, Levar Burton and John De Lancie and that was great. Much more relaxed and a lot more entertaining.

It'll certainly be interesting to see what the ticket packages look like this year. The first show I went with the commander package and the second I just went with the weekend one and bought add ons. Was pretty happy with both but I think I did less paid for events at the second event.

I did that too as I wasn't prepared to fork out £900 before I got there. In total I spent £650 over the three days including food, petrol and hotel so probably around the £450 mark for the event itself. Looking at the commander package, I definitely think going the add-ons route worked far better for me as I couldn't see anything I was horrendously missing out on. Thankfully my wheelchair (And I'm not ashamed to admit it!) got me to the front most queues and the preferential seating areas! So unless there is something in the captain or Admiral packages that is so unbelievably amazing not to be missed, I will probably go the same route again.

It would be nice if there was some recognition that even though we haven't prepaid going the add-ons route that we are still investing a huge amount of money at these events...

Edited by robmoriarty

• Moderators

It's interesting to hear people's thoughts on the different packages, at LFCC I always go gold, I have only attended one DST event (sadly....thanks work!!) where I just bought a weekend pass and then just had bolt ons such as the talks and photos and I managed fine. Ultimately Im waiting to see what is offered as part of the bigger packages before I make a decision this time around.

I certainly found last time round there wasn't a massive need for any priority pass to get autographs, I pretty much got everyone I wanted by close of play on the Friday. I had to hang round a bit more on the Sunday morning because I wanted a couple more things signed by Shatner and Stewart but that was about it. I did find at Sherlocked though that having a higher priced package with some priority access was really useful, although that's not exactly a like for like comparison.

I thought the last DST was really well organised, Showmasters staff excelled and were better trained than for the big LFCC events, I found everything went smoothly and really enjoyed the free talks and the fact the talks were open and not in a confined space, it meant I could just pop my wheelchair at the back for 10 minutes and then listen, rush to a photoshoot then return without disturbing anyone or feeling awkward. The whole thing felt really relaxed too, lovely atmosphere and Nichelle Nichols was lovely, spotted her being wheeled to her charity section and she stopped and stood up next to me for a photo, keep up the great work.

P.S. The NEC would be great, easy disabled parking right by the entrance and really good access to everywhere inside.

• Like 1

Looks like Spot is out of the bag! Two good guests already, only downside of the NEC is I guess you don't have the travel options like the DLR and underground if you want a hotel a bit further out but it's by no means the worst location.

Train station is right next to it, not that bad even if it is Birmingham! plenty of bus options too.

Edited by robmoriarty
  • Like 1