Autographs Next Year

Today was a nightmare for getting autographs, getting in reasonably quickly and being 609 for Hayley Atwell and 674 for Christopher Lloyd. I was really lucky to go to Michael Gambon when the SM volunteer had a space in the queue so I could meet him without a ticket! (Thanks soo much to them!) But anyway, it really annoys me that I have had tickets since they came on sale and have planned who I wanted to meet for months, as most of us have, and then didn't get to meet them. We want to pay more money anyway!

Perhaps next year VQs should be done online in the week before comic con so you know your place in advance and come prepare to be disappointed, rather than find out when there. Otherwise, I had a great day, but the queues were awful and I won't go into details on the stairs! Hopefully this will be another learning curve and I look forward to next year all the more.

• Like 2

Today was a nightmare for getting autographs, getting in reasonably quickly and being 609 for Hayley Atwell and 674 for Christopher Lloyd. I was really lucky to go to Michael Gambon when the SM volunteer had a space in the queue so I could meet him without a ticket! (Thanks soo much to them!) But anyway, it really annoys me that I have had tickets since they came on sale and have planned who I wanted to meet for months, as most of us have, and then didn't get to meet them. We want to pay more money anyway!

Perhaps next year VQs should be done online in the week before comic con so you know your place in advance and come prepare to be disappointed, rather than find out when there. Otherwise, I had a great day, but the queues were awful and I won't go into details on the stairs! Hopefully this will be another learning curve and I look forward to next year all the more.

I don't know how online VQs would work - there are already complaints when announcements and ticket sales happen at 5pm on a Friday (people at work) or on a weekend (no home internet/difficulty with app on phone) or 7pm on a Thursday (prime commuting time)... you get the picture. There's no time that would work for everyone.

The only way it might work is if you made it like the theatre lotteries. You have a week to enter your name into the ballot. X number of names are drawn at random, and those people get a VQ ticket.

I'm not sure I'd want that, speaking only personally. There's no control you have over it, whereas at least now, you can get up with the cockerels and try...

It sounds a bit chaotic to me, I wasn't there and unfortunately can't attend.

It looks like SM need to organise the layout of their venue a bit better next year, as lots of people have been very disappointed and even trapped from what I've been hearing on the forum.

Other than that, all I can say is that it pays to be early to get those VQs. This is the biggest Comic-Con in Europe IIRC, so there is bound to be a lot of competition for autographs and VQ numbers. I'm not sure selling them online would help, it would just make a lot of people very angry.

They did try a pre sale thing a couple of years ago but I don't think they have done it since so I guess they found it didn't work. I think part of the problem is while they can control how may photos can be done at a photo session, they can't really control how many autographs a guest will get through so if they ended up pre selling more than can be done then they will have a lot of unhappy people to deal with at the event.

Virtual tickets might not be perfect but I think it's the best method as things stand.

Simple solution for Showmasters: Scale it down man!! At the moment they have enough big guests to fill 3 or 4 seperate cons! If they scaled back to just a few big guests and spread them out over multiple cons, there wouldn't be the mad crowd numbers each time. It's well and good boasting to be the buggest convention in Europe but that means nothing when the venue can't handle the crowds, the queuing, the misinformed staff, and general chaotic nature this event has now become.

Spread out the big guests over multiple shows!!

• Like 9

To me it seems like it's getting difficult to even meet the second tier of guests now. I think there is too much on offer though. I know everyone has their preferences, auto, talks and shoots, but it means that there isn't much time for auto's now. I know generally they have 4 hours signing but as it's not a solid block once you factor in the guest moving from area to area, settling in ect you start loosing chunks of time from the session and I think it's starting to get really hard to get what you want even if you manage to get low numbers.

I appreciate times change and the show has developed, but at shows a few years ago people with VQ's in the 800's and so managed to get through, now it seems like if you want even the second tier of guests you are lucky to get through if you have 3/400.

I know auto's aren't guaranteed and you can't predict or control how quickly a guest signs but I'm worried it's getting to the stage that it's pointless coming for just the day if you want more than a couple of the mid level and top tier guests.

Only time will really tell.

• Like 3

Chirstopher Lloyd spent barely any time signing which was why he only got through diamond/gold passes. Perhaps if they have photo shoots and talks on one day, and autographs on another, it would give many more people the chance to get what they want. After all, when you have paid to attend an event where all you do is spend money, you expect to be able to get what you want. Showmasters will get more money and greater customer satisfaction, what more could everyone want?

As if people are complaining that there is too many good guests and too much on offer haha!

If you need VQs and want a guaranteed low number then queue early. It's simple

Which I agree with to an extent but it's still hard to get some guests even with a low VQ ticket. If a guest is doing 2 photoshoots and a talk that cuts down their signing time. If you get many gold passes wanting their auto too that could mean that hardly any VQs get done which is a massive pity for the people who queued early.

As if people are complaining that there is too many good guests and too much on offer haha!

Yes but you will eventually end up with the situation that you need to camp out overnight to even get a chance because people will arrive earlier and earlier.

People shouldn't feel anxious, but excited, at an event like this. We all want to enjoy ourselves and it dampens your spirits when you realise you cannot meet who you want. This is why I would like everything to be dealt with in advance, I don't mind how, so as to ensure people go knowing their chances of meeting people etc. No one wants to queue from 5 am in the morning, but even some that did seem to have been unable to meet people like Christopher Lloyd because he was away so often from his table. This year they promised too much and couldn't deliver. I hope next year, with three full days (one for talks, one for signings, one for photos?), they can make the convention an enjoyable experience for all.

people did queue early,hundreds of them but its makes no difference doing it. Getting low VT numbers has become rather pointless if the bigger stars have no time in their schedules because of talks, multiple photoshoots and getting through diamond passes.SM should just say from the start no point queueing early or trying to get low VT numbers because most of the time its a bit futile.It took Neve Campbell 30 minutes just to get through the ridiculas crowds to get back to her desk and Christopher Lloyd even longer. Too many people in the venue, too many many tickets sold and too many expecting to get an autograph when in all honesty they hadn't got a chance.Showmasters should just announce before the show the bigger guests will only sign for the diamond passes, maybe some gold but not give people false hope.

I think maybe scale back on the special photos with the bigger guests so more time to sign and maybe try and make the aisles bigger

Have photoshoots near were the guests were signing like area 3 were the wreslters signing and having photos there but hayley atwell signed in area 3 but that to go to photo A doesn't make sense to me

But every year the event gets bigger and new problems happen I'm sure showmasters will try and look back at the lfcc 2015 and solve some.

Overall a much better experience then lfcc 2014

That doesn't solve the massive overcrowding, the chaos and heat in the venue. I live about 20 mins away from Olympia but what about people travelling from places like Wales? What about families and kids? Not everyone wants to get there at the crack of dawn to wait for hours! What's the point in having big guests to draw people to pay for the event, if only like 10% of people can meet them?! Imagine paying for a gig only to find out that you have to wade through crowds of people all day and you won't even get to see the band at the end!

This event is rapidly losing its 'fun' factor...

• Like 7

people did queue early,hundreds of them but its makes no difference doing it. Getting low VT numbers has become rather pointless if the bigger stars have no time in their schedules because of talks, multiple photoshoots and getting through diamond passes.SM should just say from the start no point queueing early or trying to get low VT numbers because most of the time its a bit futile.It took Neve Campbell 30 minutes just to get through the ridiculas crowds to get back to her desk and Christopher Lloyd even longer. Too many people in the venue, too many many tickets sold and too many expecting to get an autograph when in all honesty they hadn't got a chance.Showmasters should just announce before the show the bigger guests will only sign for the diamond passes, maybe some gold but not give people false hope.

Well, I don't feel they did give anyone false hope as they said and it was VERY clear from the get go that the Diamond guests were only guaranteed for the Diamond pass holders. It was easy to see from what was included in each package, and the different general sale shoots that the diamond guests wouldn't have long to sign and that therefore were very unlikely to get to or through many VQ tickets.

SM have gone the route in the last couple of years of concentrating on photo shoots for the bigger guests because you can generally get more people through those than auto's which means more people get to meet the person in question.

However it seems that it's getting harder and harder for many people at all to get autos from many guests at all now if you are only there for the day. Even some of the Gold pass holders are saying that it wasn't much benefit so it might be better to limit those numbers as well, otherwise anyone with general entry might end up having little to no chance at all.

• Like 1

I'm not sure it's as simple as that anymore. I've been doing these events a few years now and in the past guests have maybe done one or two photo sessions a day at most, one talk a day then have been signing the rest of the time. Now you have a situation where the big guests are doing up to five photo sessions a day and more than one talk so the actual time they are sat at the desks signing has been reduced quite a bit. That's before you take into the account the increased number of hold passes being sold and the introduction of diamond passes.

Previously I've usually arrived at the venue for between 7-7.30am on a Saturday and never really had any problems getting everyone I wanted. Usually could be done by lunchtime/early afternoon. I was probably a little bit later than that this time but was still through the doors by 9.15 and don't think I had a TV for a lot of the bigger screen guests that was under 400, when I left just after 2pm none of them were close to the numbers I had.

I'm not really complaining, clearly getting the even bigger names to come along needed a re-think in strategy including pricing and how they can maximise income from the time the guest is here (like it or not Showmasters are a business and they have to be able to make money or the whole thing will collapse) and to be honest all in all I'm pretty happy with what I came away with, but I think the indications are if you want a big name then just turning up early is still no guarantee.

• Like 1

I got vq ticket for RDA as soon as I got in, and it was ridiculously high. While I resigned myself to knowing I wasn't going to get one, I think the system of letting gold in first, given the amount of them was not fair. It's easy to say well get there earlier then (which I couldn't) but there was a lady there with ticket number seven, who was still queuing at 5pm and had been trying all day. How was she supposed to get there earlier? How was that fair to her?

• Like 5

I managed to mostly get everyone I needed who was attending on Friday which was fantastic and takes some of the pressure off on the Saturday. But Saturday queues for guests were just crazy and some just disorganised. Putting 3 top guests right next to one another was really not a good idea ie Lloyd, Gambon and Paxton.

Edited by Emz11

I managed to mostly get everyone I needed who was attending on Friday which was fantastic and takes some of the pressure off on the Saturday. But Saturday queues for guests were just crazy and some just disorganised. Putting 3 top guests right next to one another was really not a good idea ie Lloyd, Gambon and Paxton.

Absolutely, particularly with more guests beside them and stalls. You'd think logic would warn them against that, but based on my experience yesterday, it would seem the whole thing was devoid of logic!

Thank god you came along to solve that for us...! ;)

Some people barely got into the 80s for signing. You could be outside at 4am, and if 85 people have gotten there before you, you're SOL. As someone else said, people will just get earlier and earlier.

• Like 2