Beginners Guide

Ok so I've been looking everywhere for a beginners guide...is there one available?

Text based or a video 'walking' you round the venue explaining how everything works? (best ever beginers guide for an event I saw was a video...explained it better than the FAQ). Also what to avoid/look for...kinda like you were explaining it to a friend.

e.g. Its hot/cold so bring a jumper/bottle of water. Where you can sit down and rest your feet. etc. Best place for food. How to plan your day to best effect. What is best times/days to do each activity. Any highlights.

I am ditsy enough to end up queuing in the wrong queue quite by accident...I blame it on being so shortsighted. ;)

I go for the holistic detective approach and just follow people hoping they know where to go. :angel:

Edited by LadyDeTemps

Well we have only done one LFCC so far and that was last year.

Main points from me are:

It will be busy so be prepared to queue and for lots of people to be about.

The temperature was ok last year, not too hot inside Earls court 2.

For food we just too snack type stuff in a bag with us and ate that.

There were places to sit down and rest, but as I said it was busy to everywhere does get crowded.

Our plan for the days was to get inside and get some virtual queue tickets for the biggest guests that we wanted to get autographs from. After that we just spent time browsing the dealer stalls and getting loads of photos with people in cosplay. Also as one of the two days were were dressed up there were some people asking us for photos.

People are friendly and the people in cosplay always seem happy to pose for a photo if you ask them. We went as Chuck and Sarah from the series Chuck and it was great fun having people come up to us and ask for a photo :)

If in doubt ask a team member and they will help you.

I am sure I will think of some more things. If so I will add them here.

• Like 1

I'd say a walkthrough video would be kinda hard for LFCC as it's venue fluctuates yearly and the layout changes to suit the needs of the current event. Though the one thing I've read plenty of through the years is if you want autographs then get to the autograph section ASAP upon entering to pick up your virtual queue tickets.

Have a look on youtube - there are a tonne of self made and professional videos that will give you a sense if not a direct layout. A rough layout will be produced along with the talk / photo times closer to the event and that is a great help.

• I'd spend the first 20 mins of the show after grabbing the virtual queue tickets wandering around and familierising yourself with the photo areas and talk queue areas so you know where to go as it can get quite packed and busy throughout the day.
  • Make sure you know where the toilets are as it is a long day and wear comfortable shoes as there will be next to no seating available inside the venue.
  • Bring water to keep hydrated and snacks as the food will be expensive...
  • Bring spare bags as you're sure to spend more then you expect and leave with more then you can carry...
  • Get lost or don't know for sure - just ask. The staff are very helpful and the other attendees are going to be experienced and friendly...

Edited by Zahariel
  • Like 2

I think most of it has been covered so I only have a couple of things to add.

First, buy your entry tickets in advance. The same applies to any photo shoot tickets you want. It'll cut down the amount of time you'll spend queuing considerably. The link to the online shop is here: http://www.btowstore.com/epages/Store2_Shop1309.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/Store2.Shop1309/Categories/LFCC2014

Second, there will be a schedule of talks and photo shoots published on here a week to 10 days before the event. That will help you to plan your day or days. If possible, print off a copy to take with you. There will be copies up around the venue but if you have your own copy it makes things a bit easier.

• Like 1

As said above, buy any tickets you want in advance. If you have to buy them at the venue you'll waste a lot of time!

Try and get to the venue early, around 8am is usually a good time.

As soon as you get in, head either straight to the main talk stage to get the free talk tickets, or to the back of the venue to pick up virtual tickets to any guests you want to meet. Once you've done this you just need to wait for your ticket no's to be put up and you can join any queue.

If you buy any photoshoots, these will be in one of three different photo area's. These you'll find on the venue layout which will be posted on here and dotted around the venue on the day. Also the schedule for photo's will be put up on here a few days before the event. It's always best to make your own schedule and plan your day in advance.

One word of advice about food - bring your own packed lunch because the cafe's in Earls Court are extortionate!! Also bring a bottle of water to keep you hydrated during the day, drinks are sold at rip-off pices at the venue!

Also on that note by bringing your own lunch you'll be guaranteed to have something nice to eat - not that the food available isn't nice but i'm a man of simple tastes and kale tortillia salsa in a sessame seed cucumber infested dover sole ciabatta is not my cup of tea - and certainly not at their prices... bacon butty for me all the live long day... :dance:

• Like 2

As said above, buy any tickets you want in advance. If you have to buy them at the venue you'll waste a lot of time!

Try and get to the venue early, around 8am is usually a good time.

As soon as you get in, head either straight to the main talk stage to get the free talk tickets, or to the back of the venue to pick up virtual tickets to any guests you want to meet. Once you've done this you just need to wait for your ticket no's to be put up and you can join any queue.

If you buy any photoshoots, these will be in one of three different photo area's. These you'll find on the venue layout which will be posted on here and dotted around the venue on the day. Also the schedule for photo's will be put up on here a few days before the event. It's always best to make your own schedule and plan your day in advance.

To get there for 8am I'd need a 5.30am alarm catching a 6am train. lol! I think I'd rather queue than have to get up that early again. Especially as I'll have to travel in my cosplay. ;)

So far none of the big guests announced are of interest to me...I'm still hoping for some doctor who guests to get announced nearer the time. So I'm hoping it won't be too much of a struggle to get tickets for what I want. Oh I didn't realise you had to get tickets for free talks.

One word of advice about food - bring your own packed lunch because the cafe's in Earls Court are extortionate!! Also bring a bottle of water to keep you hydrated during the day, drinks are sold at rip-off pices at the venue!

Also on that note by bringing your own lunch you'll be guaranteed to have something nice to eat - not that the food available isn't nice but i'm a man of simple tastes and kale tortillia salsa in a sessame seed cucumber infested dover sole ciabatta is not my cup of tea - and certainly not at their prices... bacon butty for me all the live long day... :dance:

kale tortillia salsa in a sessame seed cucumber infested dover sole ciabatta.....mmmmm...sounds tasty. Talking of tea can you get a decent cup of tea or is it all coffee people who can't make tea properly? ;)

I think I read somewhere about a cloakroom. How much does it cost and is it always manned? (I'm trying to gather how secure it is. Coz I've seen at other different events anything from a table with two bored looking people to a locked room being decribed as a cloakroom.)

As for planning a timetable down to the second...I've done that before. Used to even highlight the programs for the folk festivals I went to and timed how long it took to get from one venue to another. That's not slightly obsessive at all is it? ;)

• Like 1

I always look forward to when they release the map and timetables (with the inevitable panic each morning hoping there have been no changes that will affect me...) so I can plan the day out and make timetables... :blush: too much info?

• Like 1

If I remember correctly the cloak room in as you go in the first set of doors on the right. It looked like a room which was manned by a couple of people.

I could be wrong as there was a queue of people waiting for it and as I did not need to leave anything I had no reason to look for it.

I've been going since the very first one, so my top tips would be:

- Book any photoshoots you want before the weekend (as these queues can be horrendous, particularly first thing in the morning)

- Decide who you want to get autographs from as well before you go and source any items you want to get signed, Showmasters will provide 10x8s but if you want a specific picture from a film, it's wise to bring with you

- If you are after any of the bigger guests for autos, get there early, particularly on the Saturday as it tends to be the busiest day, so the early bird ticket is worth ordering in advance

- If you can get there for the Friday preview as well, it tends to be quieter so worth a go , particularly if you need to get a lot of autos / photoshoots

- Be prepared to queue a lot . even early birds will have a big queue, last year on the Saturday it stretched from one end of Earls Court to the other

- Once inside the venue go straight to the auto areas and pick up virtual queue tickets for the guests that you want to meet, this should give you relatively low numbers if you have come in with early bird access

- Once you have got your Virtual Queue tickets you can relax a bit !

- The venue can get pretty hot inside, last year it was a hot weekend, so you'll want to bring some water with you, particularly if you don't want to shell out a fortune on bottled water

- Bring a bag / folder, something to put your signed items in, nothing worse than getting something home to find it has been damaged, I use a folder with separate pockets to help protect the photos

- If you want to save a bit of money as well, then bring your lunch as well, as choice of food it quite limited and expensive

- Check out all the London travel information before you travel, so you know which tubes, buses, overground you need to use and also if there are any planned maintenance over the weekend that you need to factor in

- Make sure you have a camera or phone with a camera with you, as most guests will allow you to get a photo with them at their table for no extra charge, but always ask nicely

- Alwyas be pleasant to guests and other attendees as well it makes for a better few days and you can have some great conversations in the queues with fellow fans which helps fill up some time or you can learn some great snippets from the guests themselves.

Finally, have a good time ! :smile: It's sometimes easy for the moment meeting your favourite celebs to pass you by so try and be in the moment and enjoy meeting them.

• Like 2

I always look forward to when they release the map and timetables (with the inevitable panic each morning hoping there have been no changes that will affect me...) so I can plan the day out and make timetables... :blush: too much info?

I've started making my own timetables as well now, probably because I am getting old and want to make sure I get to see everyone and everything I want to see, nothing worse than turning up on Sunday, realising that you have a guest on your list still to get and finding out they were only there on the Saturday.

I've been going since the very first one, so my top tips would be:

- Decide who you want to get autographs from as well before you go and source any items you want to get signed, Showmasters will provide 10x8s but if you want a specific picture from a film, it's wise to bring with you

- Bring a bag / folder, something to put your signed items in, nothing worse than getting something home to find it has been damaged, I use a folder with separate pockets to help protect the photos

- Make sure you have a camera or phone with a camera with you, as most guests will allow you to get a photo with them at their table for no extra charge, but always ask nicely

Thanks. Well if there are any guests from the who-niverse I've got my Riversong Journal style autograph book I made.

http://stitchintimeandspace.blogspot.co.uk/2013/11/journal-of-impossible-things-short.html

Only got colin bakers autograph so far.

My best tips are in regards to when getting autographs. Make sure you have your money out when you get to the table and if you can the correct amount. Also make sure you have your camera out if you plan to have a photo done while at the table. It helps saves time and helps keep the queue moving if it is busy. Also get yourself a folder to put autographs and photos in. Took this advice on my first conventions and will not got to one without mine now. Wish I could be of more help but I do things a little differently due to being with my autistic son.

With the risk of being seen as a loner a suggestion i could offer is to bring a pocketbook or something. Was nice for me atleast in the afternoon when i had browsed through all the stalls and was just sitting waitng for my quenumbers for autos and photos to come up. Though this was my first event and came alone and with a bit of a language barrier didnt help either.

Karl

My advice would be

know who you would want an autograph or just a photo with or if budget allows both

making a list helps me.

Bring lots of £5 notes (exact change) with you and have it ready before you meet the person.

Many guest might not be able to spell your name have the crew sitting with guest to write it down for you.

Bring a camera that is fully charged (my first con I forgot mine).

if you see someone cosplay your fave character ask permission before hand and most will get into a stance related to the character they don't bite (unless a vampire ).

Chat to those in the queue while waiting with you they have the same interest as you.

If in doubt ask a crew member they are there to help you.

MOST IMPORTANT HAVE FUN AND ENJOY IT YOU ARE MEETING SOMEONE YOU HAVE WATCHED OR READ HOW MANY TIMES NOW?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Ok just thought of a question. What ithe the average price for food at earls court itself? (trying to compare with local places to see what's best to choose (packed lunch for day...then need a evening meal before travelling home). Is there somewhere you'd reccommend to eat that won't have a shock if I walk in in my cosplay outfit? lol

My advice, bring your own food as Earls court food places charge ridiculous prices! To give you an indicator, I've had a jacket potato with coleslaw and a bottle of water there, and it was just under £8.

My advice, bring your own food as Earls court food places charge ridiculous prices! To give you an indicator, I've had a jacket potato with coleslaw and a bottle of water there, and it was just under £8.

Well I can carry lunch with me...just dinner that's the problem. I suppose I could just wait until I get to fenchurch street and go to usual weatherspoons before I head home.