A first time perceptive of larger conventions.

OverGeek

After my first experience of a large con i have to say the consent complaints of wishing our Glasgow convention be more like it's bigger versions i couldn't disagree more.

It's a totally different atmosphere, in fact i found that the same friendly fun day i have in Glasgow isn't to be had at LFCC. I did enjoy it, it was fun and it was friendly...to a degree.

Everything is just...more, it's intense and sometimes that can be a good thing and i can see how these huge cons can be infectious, in fact i do already think i have the bug as i want to go to more, they just have a element missing that we have in our little Glasgow convention.

I totally appreciate the time and effort put into getting those huge conventions together, once you see just how much there is it's easy to see that it's a huge team effort, though in fact i felt there was too much.

I don't want to make this thread about complaining as i enjoyed my experience overall, there were a few niggly things that i found irritating, some within the events control, others not as much, though i will address these to ShowMasters directly.

Like i say i still intend to go to the Winter LFCC, though I'm hoping to go to the quieter day so that i able to hopefully do much more and have a bit better an experience.

I feel GCM is actually the best event ShowMasters do because it is one of the smaller conventions, it gives more space to take it in an enjoy everything properly and guests are just much more down to earth and more chatty.

All the guests i met were lovely at LFCC, though just isn't the time to be able to have a chat, there's more of a "move along for the next person" attitude that i do totally get, as they want to ensure as many as possible get to meet the guests there hoping to see.

I recommend that anyone that does go to one of these shows for the first time, is just be prepared to wait around...a lot, and for everything. All elements of these shows, even getting food, taking out more cash, going to the toilet is about waiting your turn.

I hope now that I'll be more prepared when going to any more larger conventions for what to expect, I'll go in with a greater knowledge of what i need to do to get the most out of my day.

I attended London Film & Comic Convention on 2013 Saturday 6th.

• Like 5

duly noted, brian..some good points made.

what u said regarding the rushed-ness of some of your guest 'meets' at LFCC rings true with my times at MK the last few years.

and it MUST be said, ive never felt like that with GCM.

this is kinda the reason why i have to check myself that i dont start making plans when i see a beloved quest announce for one of the big events, cos i like the easy vibe of going at ur own pace at the glasgow one every year...

i supose its the price wed have to pay if we want to see a major guest really....

if we want to see them...i guess so does everyone else!!!

thats why i kinda dig the select guests we get at braehead...feels like theyre there for u n u alone, if that makes sense.

for example, last GCM, mate i was with had no idea who Virginia hey was, who i loooove and i too didnt 'know' colin baker till someone reminded me at one point.

its those 'niche' guests that make it for me im afraid, where you can have a ten min chat with Virginia about shoes rather than a "hello" and a handshake from harison ford or watever..

dont get me wrong, that would be phenomenal but its all too surreal for me to have my arm around Spock himself or whoever.

im sure im in the minority but there u go...

for me..glasgow is all the convention i need right now...;-)

Edited by modern_day_prophet
  • Like 2

Yeah, my heart is definitely sticking with Glasgow. I will attend the bigger conventions if there's someone i really must meet, though I'll be holding out more for Glasgow from now on. I decided not to make any actual purchases other than autographs in order to have more to spend for GCM.

it was fun and i might try to spend the whole weekend at one of these events to get a better feel for them.

• Like 2

I can see where you're coming from Brian. I have never been to LFCC, mainly for that reason and previous feedback on this event. Looking at the guest list of LFCC it would also simply be too expensive for me (although I would have loved to meet David Hasselhoff and Danny Glover). I have been to EMS (now re-branded LFCC Winter) in the last three years and I have to say I found that a happy medium: still loads of guests (a lot more than Glasgow, not as many as LFCC) but not too busy. If it is anything like the previous events I think you may like the October event better. I always go for the Saturday and Sunday which obviously adds to the cost but makes it a bit more relaxing.

I am not going to LFCC Winter, mainly because it was announced late (I didn't think it would be going ahead this year) and I had already decided to go to Autographica 20 in March 2014 but also because of the strong guest list in Glasgow.

• Like 2

a really good post and review of the lfcc :)i would love to attend lfcc or cmk but like Brian said i would worry it would be more stressful and rushed and i wouldnt be able to stick to a budget as i would probably see things to buy lol but i dont know if it would be better on one of the quieter days like a sunday,i totally agree cmg has something special about it even some of the guests ive met have said they prefered glasgow to the bigger cons as we have a more relaxed and friendly atmosphere

• Like 1

I didn't really think i would be able to afford LFCC, though some of the bigger guests really made it too difficult to resist for me. I may slightly end up regretting it once GCM comes around, though i think my budget will just about hold up for everything I'm hoping to do.

Good to hear about the happy medium with Winter LFCC i did notice it's at a different arena too so i hope there isn't the same lighting issues that are a bit too harsh in Earls Court.

• Like 1

Good to hear about the happy medium with Winter LFCC i did notice it's at a different arena too so i hope there isn't the same lighting issues that are a bit too harsh in Earls Court.

Not sure what issues with the lighting you had at Earls Court 2 where LFCC was held (I have never been to that particular venue) but I find the Olympia Grand Hall, where LFCC Winter will be staged, a great venue. It is large and very bright (natural light) but I am not sure that's what you prefer when you say 'harsh lighting conditions'?

See my pics taken at EMS at the Olympia Grand Hall last year: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10151285531465953.512099.685850952&type=1&l=198bce0263 I have to say EMS 2012 seemed relatively quiet compared to the previous 2010 & 2011 EMS events, especially on the Sunday.

Edit: fixed link

Edited by BasG

I didn't really think i would be able to afford LFCC, though some of the bigger guests really made it too difficult to resist for me. I may slightly end up regretting it once GCM comes around, though i think my budget will just about hold up for everything I'm hoping to do.

what other guests did u meet brian at lfcc Edited by malky

Not sure what issues with the lighting you had at Earls Court 2 where LFCC was held (I have never been to that particular venue) but I find the Olympia Grand Hall, where LFCC Winter will be staged, a great venue. It is large and very bright (natural light) but I am not sure that's what you prefer when you say 'harsh lighting conditions'?

See my pics taken at EMS at the Olympia Grand Hall last year: https://www.facebook...1&l=198bce0263. I have to say EMS 2012 seemed relatively quiet compared to the previous 2010 & 2011 EMS events, especially on the Sunday.

Sorry, it's not allowing me to view the pictures.

I don't normally have any problems with different light sources, though Earls Court had very bright lighting in rows. It didn't seem to bother me at first though the longer i stayed the more the combination of the heat and very bright lights just went to my head and i had to leave.

Obviously not really within control of ShowMasters themselves i did hear a few other people had the same problem.

Edited by Brian Cairns

Brian, many valid points made in your post but I must respectfully disagree.

I to was at London and I loved it!!!

Yes Glasgow is smaller and more intimate because of that, it will be interesting if this stays the case this year as it expands.

London is amazing, there is a community there, it just bigger and perhaps new to you, just like Glasgow will be to a newcomer this year.

I look with pride as to what London has become, I have been attending the events for the last five years and its night and day!!

I have no doubt that in five years London will be the European version of comic con..Jason and his crew are making leaps and bounds and I am very proud to witness this enormous growth.

Glasgow is fun but I would never choose it over London....London is what its all about, Glasgow is a nice appetizer.

To everyone on the forum, if you want to experience Showmasters go to London its the World Cup, Glasgow is Sunday League, small and friendly but passionate support and hopefully promoted soon.

The Glasgow event is looking good and I love your passion Brian :-)

what other guests did u meet brian at lfcc

Even though i didn't stay quite as long as i had hoped, i did manage to fit a good number of guests within a relatively short space.

I met the top three guests (they were in the boxed up area); David Hasslehoff, Peter Dinklage & Norman Reedus.

I also met Danny Glover, Ray Park and Sarah Wayne Callies as well as Barry Jenner for yourself.

Here's a link to a few photos i took on the day, a lot of the guests had really strict no posed photos or flash photography signs that the crew were stopping anyone from trying to take pics, still i did manage a few sneaky photos of most of the guests i met.

https://www.facebook.com/brian.r.cairns/media_set?set=a.10151599866893172.1073741828.773553171&type=1

• Like 1

Yes Glasgow is smaller and more intimate because of that, it will be interesting if this stays the case this year as it expands.

London is amazing, there is a community there, it just bigger and perhaps new to you, just like Glasgow will be to a newcomer this year.

I look with pride as to what London has become, I have been attending the events for the last five years and its night and day!!

I have no doubt that in five years London will be the European version of comic con..Jason and his crew are making leaps and bounds and I am very proud to witness this enormous growth.

Glasgow is fun but I would never choose it over London....London is what its all about, Glasgow is a nice appetizer.

To everyone on the forum, if you want to experience Showmasters go to London its the World Cup, Glasgow is Sunday League, small and friendly but passionate support and hopefully promoted soon.

I totally get that, never once did i actually put LFCC in a negative light, it's just a totally different experience like you say yourself.

I did see loads of groups and they were very friendly and a great event and atmosphere for all the regulars.

Though the sheer numbers do take away a great deal of the enjoyment as the stalls are much busier and it's like shopping in a town then going into the city to do your shopping. It is much more about needing to push your way through crowds in order to get to the things you want to see and do.

My main point i was trying to make is that i do love our own event has been given a much needed boost to add a bit more to the event i just like the fact GCM is on smaller scale and there's no need for anyone to complain it's not a bigger event, there are several of those already GCM is it's own thing and i hope it continues to keep being as great as possible for the scale of event that it remains to be.

• Like 2

I totally get that, never once did i actually put LFCC in a negative light, it's just a totally different experience like you say yourself.

I did see loads of groups and they were very friendly and a great event and atmosphere for all the regulars.

Though the sheer numbers do take away a great deal of the enjoyment as the stalls are much busier and it's like shopping in a town then going into the city to do your shopping. It is much more about needing to push your way through crowds in order to get to the things you want to see and do.

My main point i was trying to make is that i do love our own event has been given a much needed boost to add a bit more to the event i just like the fact GCM is on smaller scale and there's no need for anyone to complain it's not a bigger event, there are several of those already GCM is it's own thing and i hope it continues to keep being as great as possible for the scale of event that it remains to be.

Fair enough mate, glad you made the trip to London.

Heres hoping our English friends venture up here :-)

PS never thought you were being negative, just enjoy a debate.

• Like 1

I was wondering who the guests in the enclosed booths were. Thought Danny Glover would have been one of them. In my book he is a HUGE guest whereas I had never heard of Norman Reedus :-)

Will try to sort out that photo link btw.

Not a problem Goodie, i didn't intend my post to be seen as negative so just wanted to make sure you realised that. Yeah that's my idea for going to LFCC to show that an effort is being made on our side, so i hope just as many do make more effort for our event, there does seem to be a fair number going from further afield already so it's good to see GCM getting support from others too.

I was wondering who the guests in the enclosed booths were. Thought Danny Glover would have been one of them. In my book he is a HUGE guest whereas I had never heard of Norman Reedus :-)

Will try to sort out that photo link btw.

Yeah i would go with recognised name over a current popular show/character, though i don't know how that element is decided Danny may have wanted an open area for his first con so he had a better idea of what it was like. He was a top bloke anyway and very nice and was great to get a little bit more time with such a well known star.

Interesting read. I've attended and helped organise many different conventions, events and book signings all over the UK for the past 20 years. It's true that some of the smaller events work better but that's not always the case. Other large events were not the best organised I've seen but because of the calibre of guests it was easily one of the most enjoyable I've ever attended.

I used to attend the Glasgow based events but found them to be the poor cousins so gave them a miss over the last few years. This year looks a lot better but I'm still surprised at the lack of female guests. I hear people say "it's not about the guests" but let's be honest, for the average punter it is. I hope the event is a huge success and that it contunes to grow but the traders need to be enticed too. I was at an event very recently that looked like a car boot sale. I'll be there this year supporting my local event and hoping for the best.

• Like 1

I attend London and Mk and Glasgow every year. If I could only choose one to keep going to, it would be Glasgow all the way.

Easy to discount MK at the mo because the venue is pants.

London is amazing but Glasgow has that spark. You get to really have some good banter with the guests and the community in Glasgow can't be compared with. You make friends so easily there. Also you don't need to deal with rude people on the tube.... ;-)

• Like 2

Gotta say I feel the complete opposite. I've not attended GCM yet, I'm coming this year and I'm really looking forward to it!!!

But for me the busier the better! I've attended quite a few different cons, and so far LFCC has always been my favourite - when a con isn't as busy, it doesn't have the same atmosphere. Obviously it's different for everyone, and a lot of people prefer a quieter con, but I definitely like it when it's packed out - it's nice knowing that all those people share something with you. They might all be there to see different people, but you still have something in common with all of them.

I guess Glasgow and London cons cater to different markets, which is cool. I normally don't meet the 'headline' guests at the London cons, so the massive fight for a virtual queue ticket isn't an issue for me, but there are usually still loads of guests I want to meet. For me the guests are a massive part of it. At Glasgow, there is only one person I'm interested in meeting so far. I'm still looking forward to coming - both for the new experience and for the chance to see a friend who lives there, but I'm not exactly excited about the line-up, which I think just proves the point that different things appeal to different people. To some people this is a fantastic line up of guests, and to some people a busy con is a living hell! It takes all sorts, and it's nice that the cons vary, so that there is a con suited for everyone.

I'm really looking forward to GCM, I think it'll be a really fun experience.

Also, I'm also not sure about the lighting? It seemed fine to me, no different from any other cons? In fact, after the serious heat and blinding sun outside, inside was lovely!

• Like 1

hi peps to tend to agree smaller conventions are better i was lucky enough to go to comic con in san diego a few years ago it was massive the biggest convention i had ever been to and yes it was amazing and brilliant there was to much to look at so i must have missed quite a bit will be at the glasgow show hope to see you all there

• Like 1