Blew my chance with DT!

Redcat50

Hi All

I bought a gold pass and obtained an autograph from David Tennant who I adore. I told him it was my birthday, he said "Is it? Many happy returns!" and then signed the photo saying "21 again?!" to which I replied "I wish!". Very nice but why couldn't I have said more?! I wanted to tell him how he had inspired me to study Shakespeare with the Open University but didn't say it because I didn't want to hold up the queue! I didn't say a word during the photo shoot either!

After reading about all the little conversations others had with him, both during the autograph and photo sessions, I feel like I really missed out because I didn't say more. I was waiting for David to make conversation but I realise now I should have done it! Damn! I did the same thing at the stage door in June!!

My photo is really 'straight' too, whereas a lot of people had him pose with them as if they were dancing, back to back etc, fun poses, but I just went for the standing next to him thing!

I know an awful lot of people would have killed just for that, I know I was very lucky and DT was absolutely fine, I am annoyed with myself!!

Any body out there feel the same?

I wonder if he'll ever do another con and give me another chance!! I should add I am a woman in her 40's so it's not as if I was a star-struck kid!! Arrragh!!

Shirley

Never Fear shirley that kind of stuff tends to happen. Like at LFCC when I had my shoot with Karen I wanted to say something so damn witty and clever that I'd always remember and somehow all I ended up going TAA-DAA! Very Awkwardly. Not quite the way I planned it but she seemed happy :-) and ultimately if you can put a smile on someones face that's always a win.

Hopefully next time I won't draw a...I can't even remember what you draw when you draw a...curses!

Hi

I attend 'Supernatural'(series) Conventions and you know what...the amount of times i've planned 2 say something 2 the guests at auto's or ask 4 a pose at photo's & then totally bottled out are too many 2 mention and i too have seen lots of fantastic interesting poses others have got the actors to do. Ive given up worrying bout it now as whatever i would say to them would come out wrong or sound daft anyway! Lol I think u just have 2 be confident & go for it as they can only say no if they dont want 2 do a pose. EMS was my first Showmasters Event & we had a fantastic time but like you i did not use my time at DT auto's session wisely & said nothing except 'nice 2 meet you', but i did get chance 2 stand nxt 2 him twice at Photo session as my eyes were closed wen photographer first took it. I didnt complain of course! Lol

Don't worry. Happens to all of us. Sometime you just get caught in the moment.

Other than the usual thanks for coming, great to see you etc I was able ask if he'd been concerned about being typecast after doing DW. he agreed it had been a concern but felt lucky that it hadn't worked out that way. I congratulated him on his theatre success and wished him well.

All happened quite quickly but I'm thoroughly happy to have had the exchange and just been hurded past.

It happens almost EVERYTIME with us and a guest we really wanted to meet!, I really wish we had spoken more to Arthur and Eve!, we were fine with Catlin but the adults? we just clam up!!, as for poses I really wish I could have the courage to ask for something different!!!.....maybe next con that will be my misson!!

I am sure you will have another chance to speak to him, as will I with Eve and Arthur (fingers crossed!)

Ali xx

Don't worry - I had the same thing with Diana Rigg! I went up for the photo, panicked the as realisation hit me this was EMMA PEEL and that I'd looked up to her my whole life and even at the best of times I'm not great with photos and accidentally ended up slightly crying and having to sit out! It was very embarrasing but memorable and Diana was so nice but I'm so worried that secretly she thought I was a simpering idiot!

I felt exactly the same !

I felt gutted when I came out of the photoshoot, couldn't afford an autograph =( And I just stood and grinned next to him, thinking oh my god, say something to him!!!

The sad thing is I've already met him once before! Oh well always third time lucky!just wanted to assure you that you weren't the only one who feels like they blew it! :D

Seriously, try not to dwell on it or worry. Having a photo of any kind with DT is such a major coup, so try and savour that.

I do however know exactly what you mean, and we've all been there! When Karen Gillan came to LFCC I chatted to her, she chatted too and it was a lovely experience, I paid for 3 photos with her as Im a huge fanboy, but in all of them Im just standing there over smiling and looking a bit awkward in my opinion. She even posed with my sonic screwdriver in the 3rd pic, but I didnt manage a pose at all, just had my arm round her. I was so cross with myself after as I wished Id done something more dramatic by way of a pose, but hey ho, them's the breaks I guess.

However at EMS I was determined not to foul up and got 2 lovely pics with Evanna Lynch, 1 with a really lovely hug she gave, and the 2nd posing with her wand and me looking shocked/scared at what she was fending off!

I guess what I'm saying is that sometimes it takes a foul up and disappointment to give the courage for next time, but treasure your photo anyway, so many people would love to have had it as you say.

Thanks for all the words of comfort, friends.

Next time I meet DT, IF there is a next time, I promise myself to get my words out and a wee conversation with him!! I WILL do it!!

Maybe all we whimps should gather together at the next con David does and give each other courage!

Shirley

He did wish you happy birthday though which is kinda cool. To be honest I'm always concerned about holding the queue up and while we weren't being hurried through, I hate to feel like I'm taking up time so tried to be quick and was very happy with the interaction I had.

I've gone up to guests with prepared questions but sometimes they ask you something or pick up on something about your name etc and you start talking about that and it all goes out the window. It happens so don't be too hard on yourself.

Hi All

I bought a gold pass and obtained an autograph from David Tennant who I adore. I told him it was my birthday, he said "Is it? Many happy returns!" and then signed the photo saying "21 again?!" to which I replied "I wish!". Very nice but why couldn't I have said more?! I wanted to tell him how he had inspired me to study Shakespeare with the Open University but didn't say it because I didn't want to hold up the queue! I didn't say a word during the photo shoot either!

After reading about all the little conversations others had with him, both during the autograph and photo sessions, I feel like I really missed out because I didn't say more. I was waiting for David to make conversation but I realise now I should have done it! Damn! I did the same thing at the stage door in June!!

My photo is really 'straight' too, whereas a lot of people had him pose with them as if they were dancing, back to back etc, fun poses, but I just went for the standing next to him thing!

I know an awful lot of people would have killed just for that, I know I was very lucky and DT was absolutely fine, I am annoyed with myself!!

Any body out there feel the same?

I wonder if he'll ever do another con and give me another chance!! I should add I am a woman in her 40's so it's not as if I was a star-struck kid!! Arrragh!!

Shirley

Maybe put the bit about how he's influenced you into a letter and get another auto?? But i've learnt from previous experience what not talking to the guests can do so i always prepare by having a conversation topic for each guest, with David I told him I saw him at much ado and would he perform at the globe which he said no cos it's nicer to act inside without having to shout or brave the elements. As for my photo it's the first time I took props and credit to David that was a funny face he pulled but I usually have back to back or hugs and am not afraid to ask (except Caitlin it's too weird having a hug from a ten year old). You always have to view these conventions as a once in a life time event. I met elsabeth sladen last year and she was sat with tom baker and I was too over awed to say anything but how pretty she was and was she having a good time, this wont ever happen again but if it did that would be a bonus.

dont worrie to much about it, you didnt blow it. atleast you got to speak to him.

i didnt, the staff keped pestering my girlfriend who was standing with me, so i didnt get to say anything

but we all knew it would be a very very quick meeting with tennant. but doesnt it feel great having met him?