DR WHO FANS WARNING

showmasters

All I meant to say is no matter what guests there are your almost guaranteed to have an awesome time because theres so much more to it than just 1 part. .

Adam.

wait what forum am I on? lol

for me its all about the guests, anything else is a bonus. rarely will I go to an event where im not into any of the guests, so far ive never done this.

maybe a few years down the line my stance might change, depends on how many guests I meet, but I always try to book the lfcc, cmmk, cmL dates off work even before guests are announced cos I know there will be at least 1 person im really interested in (usually its 20 lol)

I have a different view in regards the ME cons though, I wont book blind for those type of events

lol that's one way of looking at it. I mean sure most people will go to meet some awesome guests I mean that's pretty much the main selling point but some go to compete in Children's Card Games like Yu-Gi-Oh! Or enter the Cosplay Competitions and generally to have fun with their friends.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All I meant to say is no matter what guests there are your almost guaranteed to have an awesome time because theres so much more to it than just 1 part. .

Adam.

for me its all about the guests, anything else is a bonus. rarely will I go to an event where im not into any of the guests, so far ive never done this.

maybe a few years down the line my stance might change, depends on how many guests I meet, but I always try to book the lfcc, cmmk, cmL dates off work even before guests are announced cos I know there will be at least 1 person im really interested in (usually its 20 lol)

I have a different view in regards the ME cons though, I wont book blind for those type of events

lol that's one way of looking at it. I mean sure most people will go to meet some awesome guests I mean that's pretty much the main selling point but some go to compete in Children's Card Games like Yu-Gi-Oh! Or enter the Cosplay Competitions and generally to have fun with their friends.

Timelord - you may change your stance after 8 years. While guests are important to me I have gone to shows for 1 guest before as I've met so many. These days I like meeting up with people and an involved with the Star Warrior group to add a bit of variety.

Edited by bunny-summers

Adam.

Timelord - you may change your stance after 8 years. While guests are important to me I have gone to shows for 1 guest before as I've met so many. These days I like meeting up with people and an involved with the Star Warrior group to add a bit of variety.

exactly what I said, who knows a few years down the line, and hell, Ill go to a LFCC and cm for 1 guest, no worries. and its nice to meet/make friends and see the stalls. there are reasons why I would go to a con when im not interested in any guests at all, but unfortunately for me, they havnt occurred.

reg a ME type event my stance will never change, not unless I win the lotto, I wont book one of those spend 300 + quid without any guests announced, no matter how fun the parties maybe. and for those who may have a reputation for multiple late guest cxls I wont book early for either

Edited by timelord81r

This really looks like almost Dr Who event now.

It'll show how many tickets Dr Who guests can sell.

did you see karen and alex's lines at their shows? they were massive!!!

DW rules! classic and new

The lineup is approx 25% Doctor Who, so there's still plenty of other guests.

I agree with David, and there are still some big non who names aswell at this event!

now im going to wash my mouth out lol ;)

did you see karen and alex's lines at their shows? they were massive!!!

DW rules! classic and new

The lineup is approx 25% Doctor Who, so there's still plenty of other guests.

I agree with David, and there are still some big non who names aswell at this event!

now im going to wash my mouth out lol ;)

lol I love the attitude. 25% totally owns 75%! ;) Because you know it's Doctor Who and that counts for pretty much everything.

I think it's only causing such a reaction because there has never (not to my knowledge - maybe C5?) been an event where one fandom takes up 25% of the guest list. There are so many fandoms out there that this may seem a bit much to some, but most of the shows that I have attended have had a pretty balanced or mixed lot of guests. This event still has a mix of guests - I'm going to meet 5 that have absolutely nothing to do with Who.

• Moderators

There's been a good few reunions in the past - mainly Star Wars and Doctor Who as far as I can remember. They're usually one day guests, minor roles, cheaper to get to the event, UK based etc. So this is why the numbers are far greater than other fandoms represented.

However, they don't impact on the other guests in the lineup, and I really don't think anyone has anything to worry about.

And this is coming from someone that doesn't really collect Who ;)

Adam.

I'm not trying to be mean here, and i wouldn't normally comment unless i feel strongly about something, but i would seriously consider reading through your posts before making them because what you've just said has totally offended me, and i know i'm not going to be the only one who frowns. "Children's Card Games like Yu-Gi-Oh!"... some of my closest friends, ranging from 18 - 50 years old, compete professionally in tournaments in regards to said card game, and I for one also competed a few years ago. Some people take these things very seriously, often travelling the country and to other countries on occasion, and it's a great way to make friends and a way to gain duelling partners.

Adam.

I'm not trying to be mean here, and i wouldn't normally comment unless i feel strongly about something, but i would seriously consider reading through your posts before making them because what you've just said has totally offended me, and i know i'm not going to be the only one who frowns. "Children's Card Games like Yu-Gi-Oh!"... some of my closest friends, ranging from 18 - 50 years old, compete professionally in tournaments in regards to said card game, and I for one also competed a few years ago. Some people take these things very seriously, often travelling the country and to other countries on occasion, and it's a great way to make friends and a way to gain duelling partners.

Oh I understand because I myself play said card game. The Children's card game was a reference to Yu-Gi-Oh! the Abridged Series by littlekuriboh. Alot of my closest friends play the game too. I apologise to anyone who may of taken offence to that comment.

I just mean to say everyone can have fun Doctor Who, Yu-Gi-Oh, Torchwood, Star Trek, Harry Potter just about everything really. It's a great venue and an amazing event.

The Children's card game was a reference to Yu-Gi-Oh! the Abridged Series by littlekuriboh

i don't quite see how it was a reference to the abridged anime? the anime is completely different to the card game and the abridged series is in fact a total mic take out of the original anime, which adults also watch by the way ;) .

if your opinion was that it was childish that's fine, you could easily have said it was opinion based :) but why you say card game when in fact referencing an animated series, and a spoof at that, i don't know ;)

I'm just gonna leave it at that as my original post was simply to be more sensitive when making a post as feelings do often get hurt :)

Cribbins? Now theres a guest we need ASAP! :D

met him last year, was a great guest, though im happy I was in early for the shoot, ive seen some from later on and he doesnt look best happy lol. strange.

he should definitely be a guest high on orgs lists, strange that since this ive not seen him announced anywhere, and before he hadnt done any in my time, (started in 09)

img049-1.jpgimg048-1.jpg

Such a shame for the non Dr Who fans out there who regularly support your events, I appreciate it has a big fanbase which must be great for business but I'm a little bored of Dr Who now,just my personal opinion, do the posts in the guest suggestion threads actually get read at all and taken on board???

I've always been a big fan of SM and ME but I think I'm gonna take a time out on these events as the guests always seem to come from the same shows time and time again.

What about Merlin for instance what are the chances of getting guests from that show???

Again these are all just my own opinions and I am happy for the fans of these shows that they get their wishes but please spare a thought for us customers that aren't fans of these particular shows!!!

Cheers :D

• Moderators

Such a shame for the non Dr Who fans out there who regularly support your events, I appreciate it has a big fanbase which must be great for business but I'm a little bored of Dr Who now,just my personal opinion, do the posts in the guest suggestion threads actually get read at all and taken on board???

[brokenrecord]I don't get why it's 'a shame' - it's practically an addition to the main lineup NOT instead of, so there are still other guests. Of course all of the guest suggestions get read, but it doesn't mean they'll all come to events. There are so many different factors to take into account.[/brokenrecord]

I've always been a big fan of SM and ME but I think I'm gonna take a time out on these events as the guests always seem to come from the same shows time and time again.

The guests mostly come from successful movies/TV shows that are proven to have the demand. It's always going to be a risk to get other unproven guests to an event. Just because they have a big viewership, it doesn't always get reflected in con attendees.

What about Merlin for instance what are the chances of getting guests from that show???

SM really don't comment on specific movies/shows etc as then they'll have everyone asking. However, Merlin guests do a LOT of promotional free signings, and so there's quite a few people that will have met them through those. Perhaps they won't do paid-for signings? Or would it be worth getting them when so many have already met them? These are all things SM have to take into consideration. John Hurt is in Merlin..