Should I be worried?

One of the items I'm bringing along with me to get signed by a guest (Veronica Cartwright) is this:

AlienHead.jpg

It's the upper part of the Alien Quadrilogy Head Set:

alien%20quadrilogy%20set.jpg

I'm starting to worry about the possibility that I won't be allowed to carry it in my hand luggage. I don't have a suitcase that I've checked in, so that's not an option, I have to bring it in my hand luggage. Reason I'm worried is because it's made of hard plastic and I guess you can do some harm with it if you swing it hard enough. Considering how strict airport security is these days, I'm having second thoughts on whether I should bring it with me or not.

A friend suggested that I'd print out pictures of the Alien Head Set to show the controllers if they ask me what it is to ease their minds. Do you think that could work?

I shouldn't think you'd have a problem. I often take a hard plastic poster tube on-board and have never had a problem with that. And believe me, there have been times when I've felt like swinging it around to clear a path through disorganised holiday makers!! BTW, lovely piece to get signed :P

Edited by sagart

• Showmasters Admin

I must admit I did wonder for a second when I saw the first picture.

I'd say take the picture of the whole thing. But also wrap it well. Cover it in bubble wrap etc. That way they'll see it's got some value and unlikely to just be something to hit people with.

• Showmasters Admin

I hope it looks less dodgy when you're carrying it around :P

I think the fact it's over 2 feet long will help. The dodgy-ness defo comes from the lack of any size perspective in the first photo, and the angle the photo was taken.

I shouldn't think you'd have a problem. I often take a hard plastic poster tube on-board and have never had a problem with that. And believe me, there have been times when I've felt like swinging it around to clear a path through disorganised holiday makers!! BTW, lovely piece to get signed :P

Thanks! It's already been signed by Michael Biehn and Brad Dourif, while Lance Henriksen has signed the base/"foot" of the set.

I'd say take the picture of the whole thing. But also wrap it well. Cover it in bubble wrap etc. That way they'll see it's got some value and unlikely to just be something to hit people with.

I usually wrap a towel around it when I go to other cons here in Sweden. Always done the trick and doesn't take up that much space in the bag.

That top picture is real double-take stuff. I genuinely wondered what you were about to ask. :P

That's a relief, I thought I may have been the only one who saw that. If I was airport security I'd do anything I could to not to ask questions about it. :lol:

In all seriousness though, you may want to take that picture for the benefit of the guest, just to avoid any misunderstandings...

I hope it looks less dodgy when you're carrying it around :P

I think the fact it's over 2 feet long will help. The dodgy-ness defo comes from the lack of any size perspective in the first photo, and the angle the photo was taken.

Especially with the certain part being bigger at the end, I'm sure there can't be anyone that innocent that didn't have certain thoughts when they saw the picture.

Heh, no offence intended. I have one of those minds, I'm afraid.

The 'well packed' advice sounds good to me. Maybe tape a picture of the alien head to the wrapping, for identification?

No worries :P I'll definitely have a pic of it in the bag at least.

Yeah, my bad. It's roughly 20 inches long & 5 inches thick, or 50/12.5 centimeters.

• Showmasters Admin
I think the fact it's over 2 feet long will help.

You're not quite up to date with the 'marital aids' market, are you, Too Tall? ;)

You maybe right, but that's 'cause I don't need them :P

6'10", 22 stone and size 15 feet, is all I'm saying :lol:

You're not quite up to date with the 'marital aids' market, are you, Too Tall? :lol:

Reminds me of this museum in Prague... Actually, never mind, this is a family forum :P

• Showmasters Admin

You're not quite up to date with the 'marital aids' market, are you, Too Tall? ;)

Reminds me of this museum in Prague... Actually, never mind, this is a family forum :P

Don't mention Prague ;) And yes I know where you mean too :lol:

You maybe right, but that's 'cause I don't need them :P

And so it came to pass that Too Tall became known as Too Long.

It's roughly 20 inches long & 5 inches thick, or 50/12.5 centimeters.

I'm saying nothing.

I love this thread.

I am going to be the party pooper who answers the initial question now. :thumbup:

Last year a friend of mine was trying to get one of those Disneyland plastic light sabres in her hand luggage from Frankfurt to Heathrow.

You could clearly see it was a plastic toy (and a pretty light weight one at that), but security would not let her take it onboard because you "could swing it around and hurt someone."

I am going to be the party pooper who answers the initial question now. :thumbup:

Last year a friend of mine was trying to get one of those Disneyland plastic light sabres in her hand luggage from Frankfurt to Heathrow.

You could clearly see it was a plastic toy (and a pretty light weight one at that), but security would not let her take it onboard because you "could swing it around and hurt someone."

Just when it felt safe enough to pack it in my bag, you pulled it back out! :thumbup:

You maybe right, but that's 'cause I don't need them :thumbup:

I can barely breathe because I'm laughing so hard! :thumbup::D:YAHOO:

God, I love this thread - it has to be my favourite one ever! :) The first picture had me worried that there really was no hope for my mind, but now I know I'm not the only one who had the same reaction, I know I'm in good company :D LMAO ;):lol:

Just when it felt safe enough to pack it in my bag, you pulled it back out! :thumbup:

Again, if it's securely packed, and looks like it can't come out of the packing too easily, you should be ok.

And as for this thread, you're all sick. SICK, I tells ya!! If anyone asks just say there's someone in London who you're giving head to. I MEAN, bringing a head to!!!

Oh dear...

I am going to be the party pooper who answers the initial question now. :lol:

Again, if it's securely packed, and looks like it can't come out of the packing too easily, you should be ok.

And as for this thread, you're all sick. SICK, I tells ya!! If anyone asks just say there's someone in London who you're giving head to. I MEAN, bringing a head to!!!

Oh dear...

Oh dear... :thumbup::YAHOO: