getting your auto certified

hi all hope your all well

ive been to these shows many times before and would like to know when i get my photographs or posters signed by the stars is there any way of getting them certified as authentic, i know previously when i got a boxing glove signed by sugar ray leonard i think you could pay a little more and get the autograph to come with a sticker of authen with a unique number is there anything similar for the posters etc to prove they are authentic

many thanks in advance

If i remember rightly that service was available at another event and was only for sports autographs.No such service has been available at any Showmasters event and unless you were looking to sell them later why would you want it ?

hi thanks for your reply

i wouldnt part with them its just a thought if in years to come would they be credible to other collectors with no certificate of authen, all the stuff im getting signed id never part with just wondered if its something available

YOu say that as if wanting to sell it on is a bad thing - it's not. And the OP is entitled to want this, regardless of the reason.

Hurrah Hurrah, someone who thinks the same way as me. Once its purchased its yours to do with what you want. If you are buying to sell though, you won't make millions.... :-)

ive been to these shows many times before and would like to know when i get my photographs or posters signed by the stars is there any way of getting them certified as authentic, i know previously when i got a boxing glove signed by sugar ray leonard i think you could pay a little more and get the autograph to come with a sticker of authen with a unique number is there anything similar for the posters etc to prove they are authentic

I remember this, it was at another show and it was a massive rip off. They charged £10 to stick a cheap looking hologram on your signed item. The hologram had a ‘unique’ number on it but nobody was recording which number related to which item. The hologram wasn't even applied at the time of signing, it was done at another table, so you could have had a hologram put on anything you wanted.

Simply the worst authentication process ever.

sandler has the best idea, take a photo of them signing your item.

the best thing you could do. is just take a photo of the guest signing it.

thats all you need. a clear photo of the celeb signing it,

then all anyone has to do is look at the item, and compare it to the one in the photo.

who says this person is going to sell it on ebay? no one.

i would also prefer a photo of a celeb signing the item.

no one lasts for ever. and when you get older and need money to live you end up having to sell off your stuff. who would want to buy something they dont know is real?

ive got signed pics i love and wouldnt dream of getting rid of. but one day it WILL have to happen.

and you would get more money if people know it is infact real

Even a photo isn't conclusive proof. Someone could photograph a celeb signing a 10x8, then later copy the signature on to an identical 10x8. They could sell that copy as authentic - with a photo to "prove" it. A very easy way to get some cash and keep the original autograph too! And the same trick could be played multiple times on different buyers, using the same photo as "proof" on each occasion.

Yes, it's hideously immoral but so simple it must go on. When the FBI investigated the sale of sports autographs they found that 70% were fake. What's the ratio for actors I wonder?

Really knowing an autograph is 100% authentic is next to impossible if you don't see it signed with your own eyes.

There are authentication companies that you can pay to get auto's authenticated - they look at the signatures and compare curviture on letters etc, but I wouldn't trust them. They often pass fakes, and besides I have 2 completely different Stallone autos, both signed in person, so who can really tell!

Unless that person passed away, or are really famous I don't think the cost of veryfying them is worth it.......

Even a photo isn't conclusive proof. Someone could photograph a celeb signing a 10x8, then later copy the signature on to an identical 10x8. They could sell that copy as authentic - with a photo to "prove" it. A very easy way to get some cash and keep the original autograph too! And the same trick could be played multiple times on different buyers, using the same photo as "proof" on each occasion.

Seen it happen. A generic photo of someone signing things at a film premiere being used for a number of items. Doesn't prove a thing.

Yes, it's hideously immoral but so simple it must go on. When the FBI investigated the sale of sports autographs they found that 70% were fake. What's the ratio for actors I wonder?

Really knowing an autograph is 100% authentic is next to impossible if you don't see it signed with your own eyes.

Very true. The only way you know it's genuine is because you saw it getting signed. No amount of pieces of paper/hologram stickers or anything else will necessarily be considered proof. Even expensive authentication services won't be infallable. All they do is compare to what are considered "known" genuine examples.

You either get it signed yourself or have to take a lot on how well you trust the seller and the story they tell you. But there's always a risk. Many dealers won't even issue COAs now as they just aren't worth anything. All they give you is something to prove you bought it from them and that they offer a full money back guarantee if ever proved to be not genuine.

I admit I've bought a couple of expensive autographs from dealers but they were able to provide the exact date and location the item was signed and I was able to verify as much as possible that the person concerned wasn't elsewhere at the time and did frequent the particular location regularly. Plus they had a lifetime money back guarantee if it was ever proved not to be genuine by a recognised authentication service and the dealers were able to provide full details of all the checks they had done themselves as well and gave me the opportunity to view the details of those checks. That's about the best you can hope for but you can never be 100% sure.

Edited by Rockstar6662

no one lasts for ever. and when you get older and need money to live you end up having to sell off your stuff. who would want to buy something they dont know is real?

ive got signed pics i love and wouldnt dream of getting rid of. but one day it WILL have to happen.

So you expect to be poor when you get old?

You never know what the future may bring, nothing wrong with planning for the worst as then it will likely be better. I try to get mine undedicated simply because although I don't plan on getting rid of them, all I need is for one family member to fall ill and another to lose their job in a short space of time and selling the autographs (however much I would hate to do it) could be the difference between the family being able to cope or not.

I don't mean to make it sound depressing, but it's a fact of life that things don't always go to plan and one day we may have to make some changes to make life easier...

You never know what the future may bring, nothing wrong with planning for the worst as then it will likely be better. I try to get mine undedicated simply because although I don't plan on getting rid of them, all I need is for one family member to fall ill and another to lose their job in a short space of time and selling the autographs (however much I would hate to do it) could be the difference between the family being able to cope or not.

I don't mean to make it sound depressing, but it's a fact of life that things don't always go to plan and one day we may have to make some changes to make life easier...

I definitely get the possibility factor, it's always there. But the poster said that it would happen for a fact, which confuses me. I would personally not buy a collector's item knowing I won't hold onto it forever.

Edited by AutoBot

Possibly the poster expects he might be dead at some point in the future, at which point his executors may need to dispose of his assets...

Possibly the poster expects he might be dead at some point in the future, at which point his executors may need to dispose of his assets...

Well that's insane - I want to buried with mine :D

Edited by jaltax

thats pretty much exactly what i was getting at

i dont know whats going to happen to me. or anyone else. things cost. and as the years go by prices go up. think how much it costs to be buried. or pay for hospital bils. you may get stuck with tax paying, crash your car, break a window. and need some quick cash

so many times i thought about being buried with something i own, opne of my many guitars maybe. but then whats the point? let someone else enjoy it and maintain it