Photos at signings.

Its been established that if the sign says "NO PHOTOS" then there will be no posed photos at the signings. :) or rather most likely not....

BUT its still ok to take pictures when the person is signing? (this was the case last year atleast)

If photos of the guests signing are okay there will be a sign "no posed photos."

No photos means no pictures at all.

Sometimes there's an exception from that if the queues die down a bit (seems this happened to you before), but mostly the crew will even ask you toput the camera away when that sign is up.

Its been established that if the sign says "NO PHOTOS" then there will be no posed photos at the signings. :) or rather most likely not....

BUT its still ok to take pictures when the person is signing? (this was the case last year atleast)

Depends if the sign says "No POSED photo", or "No photo"

The former only forbids posed photos with the guests, so usually photos of them signing is allowed. The latter forbids all kinds of photos and recordings, on the contrary.

Edit: Seems we posted at the same time, QS :thumbup:

Edited by Dellefyne

• Moderators

There are various different signs. If it says 'NO POSED PHOTOS' then it is usually ok to take photos while they sign, they just won't pose for a photo with you. If it says 'NO PHOTOS' then that usually means none at all.

I find it best to confirm it with the crew member for that particular guest ie SHATners crewman said go behind a black n yellow line and take photos from there was fine

Reckon they'll be more no posed photos/no photos at this than the all the previous cons attended put together.

I find it best to confirm it with the crew member for that particular guest ie SHATners crewman said go behind a black n yellow line and take photos from there was fine

Good advice but most people are after a photo with them in the shot rather than just the guest sat at the desk. Personally I'll take either though I've been somewhere where they said you could only take a photo after getting your autograph from behind a line and you just ended up with the next person in the shot and jostling with others trying to get a clear view. To be honest I didn't think it really worked too well when a guest is very busy.

Reckon they'll be more no posed photos/no photos at this than the all the previous cons attended put together.

Which is why I've gone for quite a few photoshoots this time, though with one or two of the guests I'll just take my chances or try later in the day when they might be a bit quieter. But then I'm more interested in the autograph, which is what you're primarily paying for, so if you get a photo too that's just a bonus in my view and not something I expect.

Which is why I've gone for quite a few photoshoots this time.

And people wonder why the no posed signs are more commonplace now....imore people will buy photoshoots that way. (note ; no blame placed on SM, guests, agents..it's the way it is)

Still good to see some busy guests like Anthony Head at MK last month making sure everyone got a quality chat and a photo if they wanted it. When a guest is like that it's so appreciated by their fans!

Which is why I've gone for quite a few photoshoots this time.

And people wonder why the no posed signs are more commonplace now....imore people will buy photoshoots that way. (note ; no blame placed on SM, guests, agents..it's the way it is)

But on the other hand, it takes up quite a bit of time so if a guest is very busy, surely you'd agree it's better to try and let as many people as possible meet the guest. The less busy guests usually allow it if they want as far as I'm aware but I have to admit, it's not something I generally ask for. If the option is there I will and I've even had one or two guests ask me if I want a photo first but it really doesn't especially bother me as long as i get the autograph and if I'm lucky exchange a few words or even have a bit of a chat.

You could argue that the time taken out for running the photoshoot might be the same as letting people take pictures at the desk but it's in a much more controlled environment with someone that know's what they're doing, the guest isn't having to stand up/ sit down/ stand up all the time. Plus most people don't know how to take a photo without flash, the lighting often isn't good enough for that anyway and having a direct flash going off every time isn't great for the guest. The advantage of the studio environment is that the flash is indirect and less of an annoyance/distraction/disturbance to the guest.

Still good to see some busy guests like Anthony Head at MK last month making sure everyone got a quality chat and a photo if they wanted it. When a guest is like that it's so appreciated by their fans!

But that contradicts your own conplaint. He had a proper shoot as well and was still allowing photos at the desk. Just because he had a proper shoot didn't mean they put a no photos sign up.

He didn't seem to be madly busy but then I saw him late in the day and it was an open queue. To be honest I wasn't expecting to get a photo at the desk and the one I did get isn't great for a number of reasons, the proper one is and for me was worth paying for. In fact many of the ones I've had taken when meeting the guest aren't great and I wish I'd taken advantage of the photoshoots before. I will probably be taking a much better camera this time but even so, I'm there to meet the guest and get an autograph.

I'm not buying shoots with every person I intend to meet over the weekend but given the quality of the results it's clear many people are more than happy to pay for that.

Edited by Rockstar6662

I'm hoping they do but as some people have said, you get an auto and a shake of the hand and I guess we shouldn't be greedy, but it's just nice to have a photo too :) As I said, I am hoping to get some, obviously I know Chris Lloyd is out of the question but I will try with others.

Don't ask, you don't get! No harm in asking is what I have always gone by.

Edited by ClockworkOwen18

At the end of the day if the 'no posed photos ' sign is there but there is no queue behind you at all, you can always politely ask the guest at the end of your meet and greet, it is totally up to them after all, just be respectful of their wishes.

Nicki Clyne last year was 'no posed photos' but she was awesome enough to be willing to step away from the booth for some photos with a prop i brought along from BSG.:wub::wub::cylon:

Edited by TonytheCylon

It's all about judgement.

A mega busy guest with a sign, then no.

A guest with no queue who you have been chatting to for 5-10 minutes and seems to be enjoying themselves, then why not ask them, in fact some volunteer and ask you despite the signs.

Edited by TonytheCylon

A guest with no queue who you have been chatting to for 5-10 minutes and seems to be enjoying themselves, then why not ask them, in fact some volunteer and ask you despite the signs.

Never assume.

Decorum and etiquette goes a long way.

We need to behave in a way that encourages guests to return and spread the word.

Asking them... you probably put a person you have had a very nice chat with in a very awkward position. Either they will be honest and say "no" and feel bad because they very likely annoy someone who they had a great chat with, or they will do it and suffer from it.

I've done it once in exactly the same situation you have described. Years ago, and a guest who's normally very friendly and happy to oblige to photo requests. The guest did it, but told me "I am just making an exception this time for you because I have hurt my knee and shouldn't be getting up and down. It's really painful."

Then I felt like a huge idiot myself, and it was even worse because he had been so nice before.

The sign is there for a reason, even if said reason is not obvious for you. As Not_Pennys_Ship has said "never assume." If someone still asks the crew member will possibly step in to help save the guest, and then we have the usual "the crew member are the bad guys" situation.

If the guests offer they have made the decision themselves, that's a totally different situation.

If the guest were to ask me if I want a photo I'd say yes, it's happened a couple of times but if there's a sign up I don't even think about asking.

Maybe you think I'm being short-sighted or silly for not being 'cheeky' enough to take the chance but the signs are there for a reason, not necessarily just thrown up by showmasters, possibly it's at the request of the guest, and it really annoys me that some people feel they can ignore the rules.

Respect the guest and respect the request that's being made of you. Keep it fair for everyone and don't put the guest in the difficult position of having to either say no or agreeing to something they may not actually want to do.

Never assume.

We need to behave in a way that encourages guests to return and spread the word.

and that works both ways!...because guests are just people like us.

If the guest were to ask me if I want a photo I'd say yes, it's happened a couple of times but if there's a sign up I don't even think about asking.

Maybe you think I'm being short-sighted or silly for not being 'cheeky' enough to take the chance but the signs are there for a reason, not necessarily just thrown up by showmasters, possibly it's at the request of the guest, and it really annoys me that some people feel they can ignore the rules.

Respect the guest and respect the request that's being made of you. Keep it fair for everyone and don't put the guest in the difficult position of having to either say no or agreeing to something they may not actually want to do.

^^ Again, THIS.

If there was ever a rule book of etiquette for LFCC, this should be number 1.

Never assume.

You are absolutely correct.

And if the guest does not have a reason to deny a photo, they will be happy to take a photo with you.

But if they have a bad knee, migraines, don't feel in the mood to take photos because a family member is sick etc. then you too should respect it.

You wouldn't force your sickly gran either to be on your birthday photo because she's a person like you (even a family member...), you want that photo and she should be nice enough to do it because you'd take one with her.

Never assume.

Karma - be polite and respect their request (for no photos), and respect would reciprocate.

People who had asked (despite the clear signage) and had their photo taken are unconscious and unaware of what the guest thinks about them.