Travel to Milton Keynes (to London based forum members)

Not_Pennys_Ship

I am from London and only started to get in to these conventions since LFCC10 but am interested in attending this.

My questions are:

1. How easy is it to get to Milton Keynes from London?

2. What time would be the best time to leave London from?

3. How far away is the venue from the Railway station (Milton Keynes)? Is it, walking distance?

Thanks in advance with your responses :coolthumb:

• Moderators

1. Well, there's a train (I think from Euston) so getting there isn't too bad.

2. That depends on how early you want to get there...

3. No, it's very definitely not walking distance. But SM usually run a free bus that stops in MK town centre and at the train station that goes out to the venue (and back).

I walked from Blechley station - that was easy enough for me.

Same here. Bletchley station is about a mile and a half away from the venue. It's a straightforward route - footpaths all the way. It took me about 30 minutes to walk it.

how close is bletchley park to bletchley station? ive always wanted to go there

There is another option as well as starting from Euston. There's a Selhurst train that stops at several London Stations (including Clapham Junction , Wembley, Olympia) that goes to Blechley and MK Central. So if you are in West London and have to travel an hour to get to into Euston, the other one might just be easier.

There is another option as well as starting from Euston. There's a Selhurst train that stops at several London Stations (including Clapham Junction , Wembley, Olympia) that goes to Blechley and MK Central. So if you are in West London and have to travel an hour to get to into Euston, the other one might just be easier.

Actually - departing from the South West of London, Clapham Junction would be the better starting point for me. So thanks for the heads up. I'm a quick walker so the distance from Bletchley to MK Stadium should be no problem for me :D

• 3 weeks later...

Actually - departing from the South West of London, Clapham Junction would be the better starting point for me. So thanks for the heads up. I'm a quick walker so the distance from Bletchley to MK Stadium should be no problem for me :dance:

In which case you're going to want a London Midland train - the Virgin ones don't stop at Clapham Junction (at least none that I commute on do). Prices are vaguely comparable, I'd buy an advance from the internet, pick your exact train and it is possible to do MK-London return for £6.60. Even during rush hour.

And it's really not far from Bletchley, just make sure you get on a train that stops there - most of the ones to MK or Northampton do, but not all. :)

I walked from Blechley station - that was easy enough for me.

Same here. Bletchley station is about a mile and a half away from the venue. It's a straightforward route - footpaths all the way. It took me about 30 minutes to walk it.

how close is bletchley park to bletchley station? ive always wanted to go there

It's well worth going to Bletchley Park, it's a fascinating place with so much history there. One word of warning though, if you do go make sure you get on one of the guided tours, I don't think they cost anything extra to the admission fee but without one you'll find you are walking round a lot of dilapidated huts without really knowing what is going on, the tours really bring the place to life.

• 4 months later...

Typically after just convincing myself to go I find the direct train from Clapham Junction isn't running that weekend. Oh well, saves me quite a bit!

I just noticed that last night, I think that must have been a recent-ish change because last time I looked that service was still running. I was personally hoping to avoid going through central London that day (especially as one of the routes advertised took me through Wembley, not a great plan on the day of the Championship Play Off!)