My view of LFCC 2010

Hi.

LFCC 2010 was my first foreign convention of the commercial type. First of all, I must say that I have enjoyed it very much. But there were also some things that would be great to improve. Here are my views in no particular order.

1) The limited prints given at the paid talks are ok and nice to have. But due to their size, they are pain to transport safely - even just in London via the Underground - I was unfortunately unable to get them safely back to the Czech Republic :D I would prefer maybe smaller size or give them in some protective cover please. Even a cardboard would do.

2) Free and paid talks alike - the people giving out microphones should really move faster. So much time was wasted by slow walking from one side of the auditorium to the other. Another thing is that the talks were too short - I expected them to be about 10 minutes longer than they were. Shame :D

3) The food was really expensive and as far as I'm aware, the selection was pretty limited.

4) It was great to be able to take pics and/or posed photos with most of the guests. I was really worried about not being able to do so.

5) Autograph dealers - I will just say that I have never seen so many fakes at one place and for such prices. I know that SM cannot influence what the dealers wish to sell but geez, they even frame the worst fakes!

6) It would be great to implement some sort of wifi connection. Even limited to a few kbps per connection - just so people with smartphones and iPhones can use twitter. I know it is not an easy task to set up a wifi in such a place but I think it would be really appreciated (at least by us, fans from abroad who cannot use data roaming services because they cost too much).

7) I would like to deeply thank everyone crewing at LFCC 2010! You guys were amazing and you were always able to help me and give explanations and advice. It was a real pleasure meeting all of you.

8) Ben Browder, Elizabeth Sladen, Nick Courtney, Dave Prowse, David Nykl, Katee Sackhoff, William B. Davis, Bill Shatner and Andrew Robinson were all simply great! Friendly and interested and just awesome guests. Thanks for bringing them over!

So... yeah, it was great, could have been even better but all in all a great experience. If money allows, I will return in 2011.

Oh and one other thing.... DENNY CRANE!!!

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

glad you enjoyed the show, it was a long way to come, so that is awesome that you did.

Thanks for the feedback too, always good.

I will address a couple of your points for you :D

1. The limited edition prints. There is a stall at the show that always sells clear covers for prints and photos quite inexpensively. Next time you are at a show, perhaps you could bring a cardboard tube with you? or maybe purchase one of those. The larger prints are quite a draw for most attendees and they often get them signed by the guests.

2. The length of the talks is generally planned to allow changeover for the next talk, and also to allow the guests time for their photoshoots etc. The microphone moving issue is something that TT would address. He is the Crew boss, so that would be something useful for him to know. He does read the forum.

3. The food is organised by the venues, but as Touch the sky said, there is a large amount of reasonably priced food stores/venues just outside the venue. One of the best venues for that in fact, but you would have to venture outside.

4) pics and/or posed photos with most of the guests - that is a really popular thing at the shows, and lovely when guests are able to do so :D

5) Autograph dealers - fakes - that is really a shame. That is one thing that the organisers really do NOT like and do try to keep on top of.

6) wifi - cant comment on that I'm afraid, that would have to come from the organisers.

7) Crew - thats lovely to hear. Everyone works really hard, so feedback like tht is greatly appreciated

8) your favourite guests - glad you had wonderful experiences with them.

Hope to see you at the next show :D

5) Autograph dealers - fakes - that is really a shame. That is one thing that the organisers really do NOT like and do try to keep on top of.

They might not be fakes - stage door or premiere autographs can vary a lot from sat down autograph sessions. I did hear one of the newer Bond Girls was told off by some German autograph hunters at the theatre for not signing 'her' autograph, and she stopped signing at all at the stage door after that.

Even then I have 6 items signed by Liz Sladen done in front of me that had I not seen her do I would question them!

End of the day I spend to much on the guests to have much to spend on the stalls, full stop. I find that the dodgy DVDs stick out quite a bit though.

yeah, auto can vary hugely!

I was most impressed by William Shatner and Mike Tyson especially with the speed they signed, they still all looked the same

Cant comment on things like DVDs at the show, was too busy crewing to have a look round this time.

Attendees like yourself are the best people to spot things like that. Dont be afraid to grab a crewmember if you spot something that is definitely "off"

They might not be fakes - stage door or premiere autographs can vary a lot from sat down autograph sessions. I did hear one of the newer Bond Girls was told off by some German autograph hunters at the theatre for not signing 'her' autograph, and she stopped signing at all at the stage door after that.

Even then I have 6 items signed by Liz Sladen done in front of me that had I not seen her do I would question them!

End of the day I spend to much on the guests to have much to spend on the stalls, full stop. I find that the dodgy DVDs stick out quite a bit though.

If I can clear a few things up here.

I've been to quite a few events and theres people who I have got, who have signed right in front of me and the same signatures are definitely identical with those unlike myself who wish to sell their wares i.e. dealers.

Terrahawk is completely correct this new Bond girl (am not sure if I can name her if any mod feels definitely then thats cool) Gemma Arterton was actually upset over this incident.

Also, the way people sign from how they used to and now varies quite a bit in some cases its just squiggles.

When I see a George Lucas autograph I can kind of tell that is actually him because was lucky enough to get mine in 2005.

Edited by KingRichard76

Hi.

1) The limited prints given at the paid talks are ok and nice to have. But due to their size, they are pain to transport safely - even just in London via the Underground - I was unfortunately unable to get them safely back to the Czech Republic :( I would prefer maybe smaller size or give them in some protective cover please. Even a cardboard would do.

I had a similar issue getting the big sized print(s) back to Germany with me on the plane - what I did was roll them and then begged the girls at the organizer's desk for a rubber band or some sticky tape to hold them together. They went out of their way in a search for something that would help me and in the end, produced a rubber band for me - thanks, gals-whose-names-I-was-too-dumb-to-get-to-thank-properly-here :D

and guests can change their signatures.

I have one from a guest (a few months apart) and the signature is now really different to the first signature.

not sure about the naming of the guest. Perhaps David or QS can help there

Hi.

1) The limited prints given at the paid talks are ok and nice to have. But due to their size, they are pain to transport safely - even just in London via the Underground - I was unfortunately unable to get them safely back to the Czech Republic :( I would prefer maybe smaller size or give them in some protective cover please. Even a cardboard would do.

I had a similar issue getting the big sized print(s) back to Germany with me on the plane - what I did was roll them and then begged the girls at the organizer's desk for a rubber band or some sticky tape to hold them together. They went out of their way in a search for something that would help me and in the end, produced a rubber band for me - thanks, gals-whose-names-I-was-too-dumb-to-get-to-thank-properly-here ;)

thats cool :D glad they could help :(

Hi.

I had a similar issue getting the big sized print(s) back to Germany with me on the plane - what I did was roll them and then begged the girls at the organizer's desk for a rubber band or some sticky tape to hold them together. They went out of their way in a search for something that would help me and in the end, produced a rubber band for me - thanks, gals-whose-names-I-was-too-dumb-to-get-to-thank-properly-here :D

if it was on the Sunday, it would have been Wendy and Christine, not sure about the Saturday.

I had a similar issue getting the big sized print(s) back to Germany with me on the plane - what I did was roll them and then begged the girls at the organizer's desk for a rubber band or some sticky tape to hold them together. They went out of their way in a search for something that would help me and in the end, produced a rubber band for me - thanks, gals-whose-names-I-was-too-dumb-to-get-to-thank-properly-here ;)

I knew the size from past events and this time brought one of the poster rolls with me. Before I always begged the hotel for rubber bands too. Worked quite well. :D

Rolling up is definitely the way to go.

Those large plastic things Rhi has mentioned are nice, but they often won't fit the suitcase.

Terrahawk is completely correct this new Bond girl (am not sure if I can name her if any mod feels definitely then thats cool) Gemma Arterton was actually upset over this incident.

No, that's fine, no worries.

I think I know the guy you are talking about. That's horrible that he upset her so bad.

Dame Maggie Smith will forever be in my good book because of him. She saw him standing there with his stuff and us with our programmes and barged at him to wait, she would sign for us first. She took her sweet time and even personalized for us. I barely resisted the urge to hug her. :(

one of the reasons im not all that much into autos is cos they can either vary when a star changes it, or look crap, and if not in person how happy are you that its real?

i do occasionally do autos, most of mine are included in whatever ticket price i have though like Ive got a marco polo doctor who ep reunion group pic signed and i LOVE it,

I am also trying to find something doctor who tv movie related to get signed as most are at events this year but im having alot of difficulty finding something i want with all or at least most of the principles on.

regarding the dealers, humm thats a big shame is some are fake and needs to be looked into.

the dvds? i actually like the burned old eps like entire allo allo series for 20 quid ect, didnt pick any up here but at cmL i got the entire 60s batman series (adam west) for 20 quid, obviously recorded onto vhs and them put to pc and then onto dvd but i dont care, its tv quality and there all there, not currently available in the uk shops! i dont mind those types of dvds on sale. but dodgy autos is taking the **** and needs to be stopped.

Autograph dealers - I will just say that I have never seen so many fakes at one place and for such prices. I know that SM cannot influence what the dealers wish to sell but geez, they even frame the worst fakes!

I thought Showmasters checked all autograph dealers to make sure.

Autograph dealers - I will just say that I have never seen so many fakes at one place and for such prices. I know that SM cannot influence what the dealers wish to sell but geez, they even frame the worst fakes!

oh they do! There was even a section at the meal at Autographica about the fight to combat this

oh they do! There was even a section at the meal at Autographica about the fight to combat this

i'm sure there are a few goods dealers who are bound to try and sneak a few dodgeys in, even if they're authentic dealers they could try.

Barrowman's another who's changed his as it's been more in demand - 5 years ago you got a full John Barrowman Captain Jack, now you are lucky to get a J Barrowman these days. When Gareth signed the banner at the Hub last year he said - on stage - that's not my autograph! - he was knackered.

some of the fakes on eBay are laughable though, yet still people bid...

i'm sure there are a few goods dealers who are bound to try and sneak a few dodgeys in, even if they're authentic dealers they could try.

Too much to loose I'd have thought. If its proven you sell one fake that brings into question the rest of your stock.

Just to clarify about the fake autographs - I would not make such accusation if I were not sure!!

Although I have been collecting only for 5 years, some autographs I have researched so thoroughly that I just can tell. I was particularly shocked by one Eccleston + Piper photo for an outrageous price with both autos being really bad fakes IMO (I have met Chris last year and I've got Billie via friend).

Just to clarify about the fake autographs - I would not make such accusation if I were not sure!!

Although I have been collecting only for 5 years, some autographs I have researched so thoroughly that I just can tell. I was particularly shocked by one Eccleston + Piper photo for an outrageous price with both autos being really bad fakes IMO (I have met Chris last year and I've got Billie via friend).

I really would have thought it was worth telling someone/crew at the show if you were that sure?

Those sort of people give the genuine dealers a bad name

*Edit to say, that I wouldnt hve a clue, so personally prefer to only buy autos when the person is in front of me signing them, but can appreciate those that want that one auto to complete a collection, so people that can flush out fakes are valued.

Edited by Rhianydd

1) The limited prints given at the paid talks are ok and nice to have. But due to their size, they are pain to transport safely - even just in London via the Underground - I was unfortunately unable to get them safely back to the Czech Republic :angel: I would prefer maybe smaller size or give them in some protective cover please. Even a cardboard would do.

I believe that the prints were mentioned in advance, so presumably you knew that you would be getting one. At that point I rather think it's your responsibility to arrange how you choose to transport it. I'm unsure why the organisers should go to the expense of buying several hundred cardboard tubes or whatever, especially as some people wouldn't need them (either because they're prepared and brought their own tubes, or because they're parked outside and can lay it flat on their car's parcel shelf, for example). I'm sorry if that sounds a tad harsh, but I rather think this is a "problem" for individuals to address, rather than the organisers.

6) It would be great to implement some sort of wifi connection. Even limited to a few kbps per connection - just so people with smartphones and iPhones can use twitter. I know it is not an easy task to set up a wifi in such a place but I think it would be really appreciated (at least by us, fans from abroad who cannot use data roaming services because they cost too much).

Doesn't the venue have its own wifi network, albeit one that charges? (Certainly this link suggests so). On that basis, I suspect that the venue would not be happy with somebody setting up a competing system, and indeed I would quite expect it to be explicitly banned in the terms of hire of the venue.

1) The limited prints given at the paid talks are ok and nice to have. But due to their size, they are pain to transport safely - even just in London via the Underground - I was unfortunately unable to get them safely back to the Czech Republic :angel: I would prefer maybe smaller size or give them in some protective cover please. Even a cardboard would do.

I believe that the prints were mentioned in advance, so presumably you knew that you would be getting one. At that point I rather think it's your responsibility to arrange how you choose to transport it. I'm unsure why the organisers should go to the expense of buying several hundred cardboard tubes or whatever, especially as some people wouldn't need them (either because they're prepared and brought their own tubes, or because they're parked outside and can lay it flat on their car's parcel shelf, for example). I'm sorry if that sounds a tad harsh, but I rather think this is a "problem" for individuals to address, rather than the organisers.

Yeah, it did say that, but it said nothing about the size these limited prints would have. Apparently, LucasCZ along with a whole lot of other people thought that it would be the regular print size that you also got at the autograph tables, 10x8, a size that is easier to accommodate in a suitcase or bag while traveling in an airplane. Please don't assume people are stupid and don't read - they very well might have but have had different expectations. Talking down on us makes you come across as helluv' condescending.

Edited by silky_cat

Yeah, it did say that, but it said nothing about the size these limited prints would have. Apparently, LucasCZ along with a whole lot of other people thought that it would be the regular print size that you also got at the autograph tables, 10x8, a size that is easier to accommodate in a suitcase or bag while traveling in an airplane. Please don't assume people are stupid and don't read - they very well might have but have had different expectations. Talking down on us makes you come across as helluv' condescending.

I apologise if you found it condescending, it wasn't meant to be; I'm just the kind of bloke who tends not to leave things to assumption or chance, and doesn't always have sympathy with those who do. And when I do fall foul of making assumptions or not planning and life ends up giving me lemons, I just make lemonade.

Yes, it probably would have been nice if it was made clear in advance, but I just thought the original post felt to me like a somewhat ungrateful moan. (Although let's put a positive spin on it - if somebody's list of problems with the show is topped with "my free poster is too large", it's probably a reflection of a successful show).

Incidentally, I'm pretty sure I saw that at least one person asked in advance about the size of the print and the size was mentioned - certainly from this thread it seems that the size had been announced and discussed almost a week before the show.

TBF I would never be able to tell if an auto was fake or real, on the same day at the same event me I got these two autos from Robert Pattinson;

27190_375780588514_547513514_3682487_2772344_n.jpg

27190_375808388514_547513514_3682576_1994521_n.jpg

Clearly VERY different based on time constraints etc... i think it's easy to misjudge things sometimes, but like others have said if people are that sure maybe report it at the actual event?

Never understand why people complain about the prioce of the food at these shows. People balk at paying £3.50 for a sandwch but will hapily pay 10 times that for an autograph.

Plus its the same at any major event at any arena, convention centre etc. And its London prices which we all know about.

Never understand why people complain about the prioce of the food at these shows. People balk at paying £3.50 for a sandwch but will hapily pay 10 times that for an autograph.

Plus its the same at any major event at any arena, convention centre etc. And its London prices which we all know about.

i was soooo shocked looking around london at things. it's unbelievably expensive in comparison to the north of england.

it doesnt help when people visit from other countries and the exchange rate is very different. maybe thats arguably why the food was sooo costly.