How Things Work

Too Tall

Me again lol

My first con so I'm just double checking a few things.

I'm staying at the Hilton and I'll be meeting my roomie there on the Friday so I was just wondering would I need to pay the £150 using the card I reserved with or would we be able to pay cash (I pay my money then she pays hers)? Also do I pay at check in or check out?

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

if you pay by debit card they need the whole lot when you book in, if you pay by credit card they will take the payment when you depart.

my room at roadhouse was booked on a difrrent card to what i used to pay and i paid upfront because it was a debit card.

they also ask for id if paying in cash and a card on record incase of aditional room charges ( the bar becomes room tab only after 2 am.... :poki: not that i know that or anything :D )

they also ask for id if paying in cash and a card on record incase of aditional room charges ( the bar becomes room tab only after 2 am.... :YAHOO: not that i know that or anything :blink: )

er, It didn't on the Friday at ET3... I bought a round of drinks with cash at 5am!

if you pay by debit card they need the whole lot when you book in, if you pay by credit card they will take the payment when you depart.

my room at roadhouse was booked on a difrrent card to what i used to pay and i paid upfront because it was a debit card.

they also ask for id if paying in cash and a card on record incase of aditional room charges ( the bar becomes room tab only after 2 am.... :D not that i know that or anything :D )

I paid cash at last con and wasnt asked for a card, wouldnt have done them any good anyhow as i had emptied my account to use cash at con lol

^^^That's what I was planning on doing, but I didn't want to go to check in and them to say you have to pay by card. So cash is fine, right? Aslong as I have the card I reserved with?

You don't need the card that you reserved with. This is just as a guarentee only, so they are only holding it until you provide them with a method of payment. If that's cash, then you'll pay up front (same goes for a debit card). That way the hotel knows you aren't going to do a runner. They can't authorise the card that you reserved with, because that's illegal.

What I would suggest is that if you are splitting the bill but aren't arriving with your roomie, than do take your credit card with you, and check in with that. They'll authorize the card for the total amount of the accommodation plus an amount for any extras (usually £50 per night). But that's all it is, an authorization. At the end or at any stage during the con, you can go down to reception and pay off the room accommodation and they'll take the credit card off.

If you need to know anything else, feel free to ask me, I work in a Marriott so we have pretty much the same standards and rules as Hiltons :D

What I would suggest is that if you are splitting the bill but aren't arriving with your roomie, than do take your credit card with you, and check in with that. They'll authorize the card for the total amount of the accommodation plus an amount for any extras (usually £50 per night). But that's all it is, an authorization. At the end or at any stage during the con, you can go down to reception and pay off the room accommodation and they'll take the credit card off.

If you need to know anything else, feel free to ask me, I work in a Marriott so we have pretty much the same standards and rules as Hiltons :D

Can you just clarify for people so that they dont panic, that they are authorising the card that YOU ARE ALLOWED the extra £50 per night (eg charging drinks to your room etc), but not that they TAKE £50 per night extra.

I know you said its an authorisation, but just wanted to clarify.

Sorry, I had to read that a couple of times before I understood what you meant, dont want anyone panicking

:D

Sorry, that's just me being all hotely :D Thanks for pointing it out.

Yes, to clarify. IF you leave a CREDIT CARD imprint with the Front Desk, then they will take an AUTHORIZATION. They will NOT be taking actual money from the account. It's just a hold, so that the hotel knows that a) you won't run off without paying and :D that you have enough to pay for.

If you leave a DEBIT CARD and they authorize it...well, send me a PM or look for the blonde Australian at the convention and I'll try and explain it to you and I'll go give Mr. Hilton a talking to. But they SHOULD NEVER authorize a debit card. If you hand over a debit card (or Solo card, or Maestro card), then make sure that you tell them ONLY to take the payment straight away. If you want, let them take a deposit for any extras, which they will then be legally bound to refund your debit card.

I know it all sounds complicated, but it is simple. Sort of. And oh, the capital letters, I'm not shouting, lol, I'm just trying to let you know what is what. Again, as I said, any more questions about the hotel and I will be happy tto answer.

• 3 weeks later...

Quick question If I'm buying photoshoots and autographs on the friday at registration will there be a card machine I can use to pay or is it cash only? Just wondering as I cant remember if there was a card machine at ET3 and I dont want to have to use the hilton cashpoint as they do charge

Edited by Twilighted

Thought I'd go for this thread for this (potentially stupid) question! :lol:

With the auction, is it held in the main talk room?? If so, how do you see if someone is bidding or not, because surely it must be packed? :-/ Is it the same idea as a normal auction, just raise your hand to bid? My concerns come from the fact that I missed out on 2 items at the LFCC because the man doing it didn't see me, and surely this must be ALOT busier.

Also, will there be a viewing beforehand? :rolleyes:

Edited by TheVampireGirl

Thought I'd go for this thread for this (potentially stupid) question! :lol:

With the auction, is it held in the main talk room?? If so, how do you see if someone is bidding or not, because surely it must be packed? :-/ Is it the same idea as a normal auction, just raise your hand to bid? My concerns come from the fact that I missed out on 2 items at the LFCC because the man doing it didn't see me, and surely this must be ALOT busier.

Also, will there be a viewing beforehand? :rolleyes:

Yes, it's in the same room as the talks.

Not everybody stays for the auction so it's easier to see everybody in the hall.

Yes, you bid by just raising your hand.

There's usually a couple of crew members around who help spot the raised hands. Usually TooTall is there too, so it's unlikely you'll get missed. :rolleyes:

At the last Chevron convention the items were on display at the reg desk. I'm not attending the ET cons, but I am sure someone will confirm if it's the same there.

Hi, just a quick question as this is our first ever con...

We are group X (me and my daughter) and I was just wondering how well we will be able to see / hear at the guest talks! Obviously we will be near the back, which is completely fine and fair, but don't know how the rooms are set up so am wondering if it is worth going to them!?? Would love to as I've heard they are fab and often funny but I have visions of us staring at the back of hundreds of heads straining to hear - lol

i was near the back last ET and i heard and saw fine (til the rude people in front wouldnt sit down as they took pictures) me and my friend actually liked it at the back!!!

Excellent - in that case we'll definitely give it a go. Thanks

Thought I'd go for this thread for this (potentially stupid) question! :D

Also, will there be a viewing beforehand? :D

Yes, it's in the same room as the talks.

Not everybody stays for the auction so it's easier to see everybody in the hall.

Yes, you bid by just raising your hand.

There's usually a couple of crew members around who help spot the raised hands. Usually TooTall is there too, so it's unlikely you'll get missed. ;)

At the last Chevron convention the items were on display at the reg desk. I'm not attending the ET cons, but I am sure someone will confirm if it's the same there.

Thanks both of you :D I usually like to leave it to near the end to bid.. So may just have to raise my hand that little bit earlier.. And wave my poster tube like I did after losing out last time lol

it depends on available space and safety of the items whether the auction items are on display in advance, I have seen them in the display cases at the Park Inn, and a crew member looked after them at Brum Proms, but I havent seen them on display recently.

Yes, a number of crew work the auctions and help look for people with raised hands, just lift it high and you will be seen by someone :D

Could someone explain to me how standard ticket holders arrange photoshoots? I haven't seen anything available online in order to pay for them. This is my first con so I'm completely unsure on...well everything.

Could someone explain how it works?

Many thanks

Could someone explain to me how standard ticket holders arrange photoshoots? I haven't seen anything available online in order to pay for them. This is my first con so I'm completely unsure on...well everything.

Could someone explain how it works?

Many thanks

You buy the tickets from the desk, which was near the reg desk last time but not sure if you can just get the from the reg desk this time (That's one for TT).

You just then go to the relevant photoshoot when your group has been called and present your ticket to the crewmember when you join the queue

Hope this helps ;)