bring the twi cast to scotland

val79

At least you get an event.

At least we get an event? Yeah, Glasgow, be content with Ewok 4 and third Jawa to the left, because at least you get an event. Be content with row after row of dealers selling stuff you can pick up at A1 or Forbidden Planet, because at least you get an event. Be content with the almost complete lack of advertising and promotion, because at least you get an event. Right? Right? Wrong.

Showmasters should be doing everything you can to make Glasgow grow and become better than what it is but instead you choose to play the "la la la I'm not listening" card and tell us to be happy we have an event at all. That's just not gonna cut it, my friend.

Last year ComaWhite and I spoke to many of the event organisers (didn't see you there, by the way) and there was a lot of talk about this and that and bigger guests and better promotion and then, six months down the line you have the temerity to come on here telling us to be happy we have an event at all?

If you speak for Jason and Showmasters and are on their payroll as an employee with the authority to make comments onthe company's behalf, then fine, I'll accept it, but if you're just an Internet lackey, then I'm calling bulls*** on your comment and I suspect (hell, I know for a fact) that many others here would too if they thought they could get away with it.

Edited for spelling and grammar. Typing whilst pissed off causes spelling errors, kids.

Edited by MartyMichaels

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You will get WAY more people willing to travel to London than you will Glasgow. .

I disagree. It's just as easy to get to Glasgow as it is London for anyone north of Birmingham, Glasgow is a better city (IMO), more appealing to most northern English and ALL of Scotland (remember there's a whole lot more of Scotland north of Glasgow who would find it extremely hard to get all the way down to London). Now Collectormania Manchester doesn't exist, I reckon a LOT of those attendees would travel to Glasgow, if there was a good enough guest.

You will get WAY more people willing to travel to London than you will Glasgow. .

I disagree. It's just as easy to get to Glasgow as it is London for anyone north of Birmingham, Glasgow is a better city (IMO), more appealing to most northern English and ALL of Scotland (remember there's a whole lot more of Scotland north of Glasgow who would find it extremely hard to get all the way down to London). Now Collectormania Manchester doesn't exist, I reckon a LOT of those attendees would travel to Glasgow, if there was a good enough guest.

Quiet Ann. Be happy you have an event at all.

ooops what did i start ... sorry, to add my own 2 bobs worth, the ppl down in London don't care what happens up here, they forget that the Glasgow event caters for the Whole of Scotland, anything further than Birmingham doesn't exists, i hate to say it but i have never been to collector mania Glasgow, just because the guests do not appeal to me, If they had better guests a lot more ppl would attend

I may be completley wroung but wouldn't Glasgow be cheaper to stay at for people and public transpot as well (even if not by much)

Me and my friends are willing to travel were ever for a event if the geusts are worth it and my own rule has always been don't got to a event for just one person as there is always the chance the person could cancel but that could just be me.

All in is about 5 hours travel by plane then bus from Glasgow to London if your lucky with the traffic and if we are willing to do that I don't know why it sounds like people arent willing to travel to Glasgow.

I get it's not a huge event but thats sort of the point it's never going to be by the sounds of it.

Yes I do feel lucky that Glasgow even has this event but I just think it's a shame you can walk around the stalls and get the few autographs you want in 1 day and in space of a couple of hours.

Edited by Galaxy-Song

I have to somewhat agree with the people here: Glasgow has not been given a proper opportunity to grow. There has been a few topics similar to this one for some of the previous Glasgow Collectormania's where we are told that we should be happy to even have an event and to allow Glasgow to grow at its own pace (but in our eyes that growth is non existent).

Its like the chicken and the egg: were told to wait and see how successful the Glasgow con is to give insight on whether or not they should focus on it more the following year, but the only way to make the Glasgow con more successful is to focus on it more to give people a reason to come.

Glasgow has an airport (more than some other events can say), a good train service with links to various locations throughout the country (Including London) aswell as a decent bus service. Getting here is not an issue, motivation to come is.

I know that this isn't the case but its hard to not dwell on this fact at times: Showmasters/Massive Events is an English based company and because of that fact they may be reluctant to give an event north of the border a proper chance.

At least you get an event.

Sorry but that's an awful attitude to have. It might not be great but be grateful we're actually taking Scotland into consideration. It's THAT attitude that makes us feel neglected!!

You answered your own point - "I know it's in London" - that's exactly the point.

You just answered my point there. London's worth taking the risk Glasgow isn't. Rather put the effort into London than one of Scotland's biggest cites. We're North of the border, what do we matter. That's maybe not what you're intending to put across but that's the impression we get. As others have said Glasgow's just as easy to get to as London.

You may well feel like you're being neglected, but if it comes down to a choice of losing the event or being willing to let them do it at their own pace so it survives, surely the logical choice is to keep the event?

Being honest i'm really not so sure anymore. Like I said I barely spent more than an hour at the last one. I went, met Amber Benson, had a quick look round and left. If we're never going to be given a fair chance then what's the point.

But it being in Glasgow may always be a wider issue that Showmasters just can't get around completely.

That's what we're trying to say though, it's you making it being in Glasgow an issue, theopportunity IS there.

I'm really sorry everyone, i'm not normally one to moan I just really felt I had to express and opinion. However I will shut my mouth and get the topic back to twilight.

You know, you might be wrong about the people travelling thing. Perhaps people only travel to London BECAUSE of te good guests. I mean, people have no reason to travel to Glasgow to meet 3 or 4 people who said one line in Dr Who, but London gets big guests, and that's probably more likely why people travel there, nothing to do with convenience. I am sure there are tons of folk (like myself) that travel FROM or near Scotland to attend London.

Edited by touchthesky

I'm not going to repeat what everyone's said, as everything said thus far matches my view.

So her's a picture of the Iron Shiek.

iron-sheik.jpg

I won't reveal full details of the conversation with Jason last year, but what he said does conflict with what DavidB has said above and... DavidB, take note on what people are saying regarding Glasgow. The way we're described is 90% of the reason people here feel like we're second rate compared to the English events.

It may be in part because the English promoters are English therefore don't know whats on offer already here - but it is very true that the bulk of stalls offer very little more than I can go out and buy in the high street here.

No disrespect to the stall people whatsoever, some are absolutely wonderful (autos, sculture peoples and stuff like that) but right in the centre was filled with stuff I can pick up in FB or A1 - or better yet, find cheaper on eBay.

The last Glasgow being my first, and being a dirty southener on a visit I feel I have an objective view.

I loved it! And it didnt feel as small or quiet as people had said it would be.

I even heard Jason say that it had done very very good business on the door, especially on the saturday.

This felt like a midlands event to me in terms of size and foot traffic, so we great.

So no guests being announced yet shouldnt be taken as any sign that you wont get anyone big or loads of guests.

The one thing I will say is, like Midlands and other cons, this event isnt 'in' the city its named after, despite being in the city lol If that makes sense.

This didnt affect me coming to the event, as I was there for it, but it did affect me coming to the party (as in, not). Because after a whole day at the event, I didnt want to travel back to the city to change/drop stuff off, then back to the party, then back to the city again to sleep late at night, then back the next morning for the event.

If it was held IN the city, I would be more inclined to come up on my own even if I wasnt staying with Turkfox and helping her on the cosplay desk. Be much easier for people who arnt used to Glasgow.

Or maybe, like MK, run a coach service from say the major train station in Glasgow to the event.

Exactly.

Braehead, as I understand it, is a pretty big deal within Glasgow. As for traveling to the event from the City Centre (which is what I assume BeatrixKiddo88 means) we stay in Erskine whilst attending - Breahead is pretty much halfway. It's hardly a long (or expensive) bus journey.

That's like saying because an southern event is in one part of London, it would put off people staying in another part as they had to *shock horror* get public transport there. And getting the bus from Glasgow city centre to Braehead is a damn sight cheaper than getting the tube from one bit of London to another.

But back to twilight... that Robert Pattison is quite cute....

Edited by ann+sara+emma+dani

having just came across this topic, i have to agree the last couple glasgow events iv barely spent more than a couple of hours there getting lucky with 1 or 2 autos it only really out of local support that i still go!

every year we get told the show was a success and will be bigger and better next time but from our point of view its the same.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been saying for a long time that if people think of the guests as "gravy", and make the social interaction the "meat" of the con... they'll have a far far better time, and there'll be less risk of Showmasters taking offense or going on the defensive due to criticism of the lineup on here.

–noun

1. a meeting or formal assembly, as of representatives or delegates, for discussion of and action on particular matters of common concern.

I agree with the last post! If too many people moan - look what happened with Memoribilia at the SECC!

They are making an effort but we cant really expect really big guests! I mean some of the guests at Glasgow have been great! Dirk Benedict, Ernie Hudson, Marina Sirtis, John Rhys Davis, Paul McGann, Peter Davison, Star wars actors!

I love the weekend as it is!

So Showmasters you are doing well!!!!

Only thing I would say is more publicity!

we cant really expect really big guests!

Why is that?

Guests are the main reason for someone to travel a distance to get to an event. Just going for the people is all well and good for the locals but its not a big enough reason for most people to travel far afield. We can't see the event growing if it remains in the status quo.

Edited by Tanith

we cant really expect really big guests!

Why is that?

Guests are the main reason for someone to travel a distance to get to an event. Just going for the people is all well and good for the locals but its not a big enough reason for most people to travel far afield. We can't see the event growing if it remains in the status quo.

761428854_abbd9d7de5.jpg

It's not worth the effort, Tanith.

Edited by MartyMichaels

• 3 weeks later...