Brian J Smith not coming according to his Twitter

elenmai

well david blue said on twitter to david hewlett he wanted to meet him, heres his chance lol

That's what I thought! He probably wouldn't want to come to another one so soon, but here's hoping!

That would be a pretty massive geek session, haha love it

That would be an awesome geek session lol

That meeting I would love to see! Total geek out for sure!

I really hope this isnt true about Brian.

Would seem a totally odd reason for Brian to suddenly say he wouldnt come with out any more SGU guests when SM/ME said ages ago there wouldnt be anymore. If it was part of the agreement then Brian's official cancellation should have been announced straight away.

I hope this gets sorted out asap as atm it looks bad on Brian for his decision/reasoning and also bad on SM/ME until they sort out what is actually going on.

Brian is pretty much the only other SGU guest I'm really fussed on meeting so I desperately dont want him to cancel.

xxxx

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If it was part of the agreement then Brian's official cancellation should have been announced straight away.

Jason said it the condition "more Universe guests have to come" wasn't part of the agreement on the previous page:

i would also like to state that the agreement with Brian dose not have anything at all saying that other members for SGU have to be in attendance at the con for him to attend , so were this is coming from i really do not know and it is a really odd thing to say , also we would not have agreed to a agreement like this as we are not planning and never plan to run a only SGU event.

I really hope this gets cleared up soon too.

I'm not coming to this event, but know the feeling of a guest pulling out at the last possible moment. When they have work commitments that is fine I understand they need to work to put food on table and pay bills like everyone else. But when it's posted on the actor's twitter page (unless he was hacked) it seems true. Hope the situation is sorted soon for all you lot going.

Hopefully Brian will still be attending. Personally I am enjoying SGU and look forward to meeting any/all members of the cast.

well david blue said on twitter to david hewlett he wanted to meet him, heres his chance lol

That's what I thought! He probably wouldn't want to come to another one so soon, but here's hoping!

Taking that image and going off on a slight tangent that just cries out for a scene in one of the shows. An end-of-life problem to solve and in the room we have McKay, Eli, Carter, and chuck in Daniel just because he can talk fast. Oh and of course poor Jack, whose head will explode listening to that lot ;)

Well, without further info from this end all we have is wishful thinking and Reading into things

I'm glad the post is unstickied, personally I don't think it should have been made at all... Especially since it's a contributing factor in the current situation

• Moderators

No one knows what the situation actually IS, so it's hardly fair to suggest that some pinned topic would be a contributing factor.

We don't know what's going on. No attendees do. Neither do the organisers at the moment.

I don't really see the point in speculation. Best for everyone to just sit back and wait for an explanation, which I am sure will be forthcoming once the ACTUAL situation has been resolved.

Well, brian has said openly he pulled out due to the lack of SGU love, the post was the root of that...

Don't get me wrong I agree, not all of us know the full story... I thought the post was a bad idea when it was made a month ago... I'm right with you hoping things get resolved

Hopefully Brian will still be attending. Personally I am enjoying SGU and look forward to meeting any/all members of the cast.

Taking that image and going off on a slight tangent that just cries out for a scene in one of the shows. An end-of-life problem to solve and in the room we have McKay, Eli, Carter, and chuck in Daniel just because he can talk fast. Oh and of course poor Jack, whose head will explode listening to that lot :P

Awesome scene that would that be, i think mitchell, jack and shepherd, sitting htere in the corner watching while trying so hard to keep up with them, just turn to one another and play a game of cards ahhahahaha

Well, brian has said openly he pulled out due to the lack of SGU love, the post was the root of that...

Brian has said he pulled out because he was promised that there'd be more Universe guests, and Jason has said that this was never promised. That is a big difference between that and "he pulled out due to the lack of SGU love." Who knows, maybe this is the real problem behind that tweet. But for now, no one can tell and this is pure speculation.

Honestly speaking - and this is me being the fan and not the mod: You can not force a fan to like all shows.

There's fans who prefer SG over Atlantis too, and that was never a problem for an actor for Atlantis for example. Joe, David and the others were over when officially Atlantis hadn't even aired in the UK. Paul McGillion was at another event the same weekend where he was the only Atlantis guest. In the first year of the show several Atlantis guests were the only guest representing the show at events. Never a problem. *shrugs* The show is in the first year. It would be quite risky for an organiser to focus on a relatively fresh show that isn't a smash hit like it was with Heroes, or Twilight.

Brian has said he pulled out because he was promised that there'd be more Universe guests, and Jason has said that this was never promised. That is a big difference between that and "he pulled out due to the lack of SGU love." Who knows, maybe this is the real problem behind that tweet. But for now, no one can tell and this is pure speculation.

Im gonna stick to there being more going on here than we're aware of, but hopefully things will be more clear in the next few hours

• Showmasters Admin

only just got this in , make of it what you wish

Subject: FW: Brian J. Smith / Stargate London Convention

Importance: High

Here is the statement from Brian Smith’s manager:

“I regret not being able to attend the UK Stargate fan event January 29-31, 2010, but I do look forward to meeting all of our UK fans in the very near future along side my fellow Stargate Universe cast mates.â€

Best

------ End of Forwarded Message

all i can say is it has never been told to us at any time that Brian had to attend the event with other cast members from SGU , also it was not asked for in the contract , also we would not have agreed to putting it into the contract ether as if another guest had to drop out of the event we could lose two guests as it would be binding in the contract so we would have ever agreed to this .

i do not know why we seem to be the last to know about all this and it really saddens us all here that we had to find out about this the way we all did on twitter

maybe there is more to this than we know but all i can say is that everything we know you now know

all in all a very odd day indeed :thumbup:

anyway he is going to miss a great event and we will all still have a lot of fun :YAHOO:

jason :WAVE:

only just got this in , make of it what you wish

Here is the statement from Brian Smith’s manager:

“I regret not being able to attend the UK Stargate fan event January 29-31, 2010, but I do look forward to meeting all of our UK fans in the very near future along side my fellow Stargate Universe cast mates.â€

Best

------ End of Forwarded Message

i do not know why we seem to be the last to know about all this and it really saddens us all here that we had to find out about this the way we all did on twitter

maybe there is more to this than we know but all i can say is that everything we know you now know

jason

Thanks for this, Jason.

I remain unimpressed with his attitude. :YAHOO: What an opportunity missed, with so many Atlantis fans there to see DH, to win some more over, just as David Blue did last time? :WAVE:

And I am hugely looking forward to a great weekend. :thumbup:

This is too bad. He is the only SGU actor at the Creation Con in Vancouver. Will he pull out of that too?

Stargate is a franchise - he is part of it, and hopefully in the future he will learn to embrace the other Stargate incarnations as part of the "family."

This is too bad. He is the only SGU actor at the Creation Con in Vancouver. Will he pull out of that too?

Stargate is a franchise - he is part of it, and hopefully in the future he will learn to embrace the other Stargate incarnations as part of the "family."

I totally agree. I commented on my livejournal that were all apart of the same fandom, not 3 seperate ones. Hope he comes around to that sooner or later. Shame for us though.

But i'm excited to meet David Hewlett, cause he's one of a few i haven't met before. Plus Ryan Robbins, cause i just LOVE Sanctuary.

Will be a good weekend, nevertheless x

all rather strange, do you think it might have to do with that guest announcement saying no more sgu cos we know none of you want them ect or along those lines post from massive events? which also said a good announcement regarding no more sgu,

if i was a guest and read that i might think man i dont want to turn up and no one wants me there? im not having a dig at anyone, just an observation, i thought that was a strange announcement at the time.

its a shame, SGU is awesome, better than SGA IMO, his character is very good and well acted by brian, massive shame

will you be trying rebook him as soon as possible jason or leave it to cool for a while as it were?

• Moderators

Having just re-read the original announcement about guests, I hardly think it's the type of announcement that would put anyone off attending.

It reads very fairly and logically, and is in no way critical of SGU.

all rather strange, do you think it might have to do with that guest announcement saying no more sgu cos we know none of you want them ect or along those lines post from massive events? which also said a good announcement regarding no more sgu,

if i was a guest and read that i might think man i dont want to turn up and no one wants me there? im not having a dig at anyone, just an observation, i thought that was a strange announcement at the time.

its a shame, SGU is awesome, better than SGA IMO, his character is very good and well acted by brian, massive shame

will you be trying rebook him as soon as possible jason or leave it to cool for a while as it were?

Its safe to say we dont all know the full details, but i would agree with you completely here, Brian was hugely excited about coming until recently, something must have happened.

I'd agree with you completely that the post could have been discouraging, if i was in his shoes and attending a convention and the organisers had to make a post reassuring people that nobody else from my show would be coming and if this post was classed as "a good announcement" then i'd be discouraged.

Of course, its only the people involved who truly know the details and know whether anything happened, was said or any changes were made that would have discouraged Brian from attending

I hope he gets rebooked, i hope there are other SGU stars in the future as well, i have been a fan of Stargate since it began, i love them all for different reasons, but i do feel here that SGU seems to be regarded as the idiot cousin and as such, im less comfortable about attending at the end of the month when not only is the guest i was most wanting to meet not attending, but the show which he stars in is so poorly regarded by many who are coming along.

" you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view." -Obi Wan Kenobi

similar thing seemed to of happened with the amazing situation, us fans seem to be the harbingers of our own doom lol

though the announcement was well worded for the fan and not out right in putting anyone or show down it implied enough especially with the smily faces and some of the replies. from a guests point of view its gotta at least make em think huh, as it were.

it is weird that so many SG fans think so little of SGU especially those who also like battlestar.im not much of an atlantis fan, but i still enjoy watching them i just think it copies sg1 far to much and didnt make best use of its setting, i loved sgu, add a little more action and it would be even more brilliant. i wonder if anyone who doesnt like it watched passed ep3? but anyway doesnt matter, shame brian has had to pull out, i hope he can attend a future event

Colonel Ez, have you seen Brian's latest tweets?

His reaction "Wow - if you were a character on SGU I'd airlock you!" towards someone critizing the cancellation doesn't exactly help the situation of making people not see him as the bad guy. Also cancelling on Twitter and not letting the organisers know beforehand does not make him look very professional either. Unfortunately this is part of the context we have right now.

I would find it extremely sad if the statement "no further Universe guests" was the reason why Brian decided not to attend. I have to agree with David: It is completely logical for me. As others have said, Stargate is a franchise and it would have been completely unrealistic to expect the focus to be on the youngest part of the franchise. Universe needs to grow. It took a while before there were Atlantis only events too.

Mark had posted that there will be SGU guests in the future by the way, in the very announcement that everyone keeps mentioning. :D

There is a large number of fans that have not accepted the show just yet, that was the reason for the post.

Some didn't even have a chance to do so. There's quite a number of German fans coming in for example - the show is not starting here before next week.

I was at another event when I got the news about the announcements for Chevron. I was beyond excited that David was coming. Others noticed my excitement, asked what happened and I told them. When I mentioned David the usual reaction was interest: "Have they announced someone else yet?" I only got a disrupted text message, so I didn't know Brian's name and had to reply: "One of the guys from Universe." Most fans I spoke to replied a variation of a flat: "Oh." and you could see the obvious disinterest coming in.

Still I've seen a lot of posts on other forums saying "hey, actually I wanted to give this guy a chance although I haven't seen the show yet." It wouldn't have been the first time that someone got interested in a show because they got lured in by an actor at an event. But now most people seem to think what sam, sheepyie and other have posted.

In my eyes Brian has blown a huge, huge chance to convince fans differently and win them over. Yes, it was him and not the show screwing up, but it will without a doubt fall back on the show too.

I really don't know what he thinks of us, the fans. Maybe he thinks we're hyenas being after his blood.

I have been at other shows were guests made their first appearance for a show. For example I've been at Ben Browder's first appearance at a Stargate show. The hostility towards the Mitchell character I've seen was pretty bad, and a lot of people were very vocal about it.

I've seen Ben at Farscape shows before, and you could really tell the difference. He was extremely uncomfortable. He even said on stage that he was still waiting for the red light of a sniper rifle to show up. Did he cancel last minute or insist on bringing the cavalry (let's say Claudia Black) along? No. He showed up and did his thing as good as he could.

Andee Frizzell was the only guest of Atlantis at another show... again no "I am only coming if..." Instead she was having fun with other guests she said she never met before.

i wonder if anyone who doesnt like it watched passed ep3?

If you dislike something right away after let's say 20 minutes, why force yourself to waste another 3 hours on it? :D

I can only speak for myself there. There are a few shows that have grown on me over time. But none of them I disliked that bad from the start like some feel about Universe.

Edited by Queen_Sindel