Tube travel update

Howie

Due I suppose to damn engineering works,the District line is partly suspended the weekend of Collectormania London!This means I will have to change go to Earls Court then endure the long walk to Olympia.Otherwise I could have got the District line and got out right in front of Olympia!V annoying!

Due I suppose to damn engineering works,the District line is partly suspended the weekend of Collectormania London!This means I will have to change go to Earls Court then endure the long walk to Olympia.Otherwise I could have got the District line and got out right in front of Olympia!V annoying!

The area the district line is suspended doesnt affect Olympia if you can get to earls court via the picadilly line.

Its a little more complicated but managable.

for alternate routes remember www.tfl.gov.uk

and dont forget the bus services!

I love how engineering works always tend to hit when the cons are!

Tube engineering works has been happening on the weekend for a few years now, as the TFL upgrade the network. It's just this one has coincided with a line that goes near the venue.

I know somebody who was working on scheduling tube engineering works at weekends in the early '90s, and I believe it even predates then. Whilst neither is planned with regard to the other, it's arguably more correct to say "I love how cons always tend to hit when the engineering works are!" :dance:

I'm not convinced you'd hold that opinion if the trains all broke down and never ran when you needed them; leaving you the option of buses, cars or walking.... Alternatively, we can go back to horse-drawn traps and really save the environment! lol

I don't think I've ever seen a London without engineering works on the tubes and it's everywhere :D. I don't have a problem. I sleep next to Earls Court :D I just have to pick the right train and it's only 3 minutes. But maybe I'll walk if it's not pouring :D

Edited by slayegirl

I don't think I've ever seen a London without engineering works on the tubes and it's everywhere

No surprise. The tube network suffered decades of neglect and under-investment. Part of the Jubilee line was built in the 70s, then they had no more money for the rest of it for about 20 years. And the money they did spend on the Jubilee line wasn't spent on preventative maintenance on the rest of the network; generally things only got fixed when they broke (and even then, sometimes only fixed if they were considered a safety risk). Things have started to improve in the last decade, and since London won the Olympic bid in 2005, I figure you can count on considerable tube engineering works until mid 2012, at least :D

the website suggests going on the ditrict line and changing in high street kensington to another district line that goes direct to olympia, does this make sense to any of you?

Yes, because of the way the District Line works.

The Kensington (Olympia) station is on a small branch line of the District Line and not all District Line trains go there - in fact most don't. So the ideal way of travelling there via the District Line is to get to Earl's Court (or maybe High Strreet Kensington if you want to aovid the congestion around Earl's Court) and then changing trains.

This map will help you understand the situation: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/comm...strict_Line.svg

Look for where all the lines intersect and note that Kensington (Olympia) is on its own branch line just up left from there. So most trains won't go there; they'll either be north-south trains or east-west trains or east-south trains, etc.

My friends and I will be getting a train to Paddington, then getting a District Line train to Earl's Court, then getting another District Line train to Kensington (Olympia). :-)

Edited by Stenun