The Hilton

torchwoodangel93

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Something I've just learned that peeps may need to know: internet access is not necessarily free at the Hilton. For those staying in Executive class rooms, there's free internet access in the Executive Lounge. But otherwise, apparently, the average person will get charged £15 for internet access in your room. I only discovered this when I went to tripadvisor, a review site we use often to check out hotels. Several people mentioned the charge for internet. Here's a link to the first of many pages of reviews of the Metropole, and believe me, the reviews are all over the place (from very good to scathingly bad), so I really don't know what to expect once we get there:

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowUserRevie...nd.html#REVIEWS

I'm hoping things will not be as bad as some say. Still, I expect we'll spend most of our time out of rooms having a good time with friends!

Something I've just learned that peeps may need to know: internet access is not necessarily free at the Hilton... apparently, the average person will get charged £15 for internet access in your room.

An all too scandalous occurrence at far too many hotels in the UK...

Here's a link to the first of many pages of reviews of the Metropole, and believe me, the reviews are all over the place (from very good to scathingly bad), so I really don't know what to expect once we get there:

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowUserRevie...nd.html#REVIEWS

Some people will moan about anything, some people have higher expectations than others, some people are more sensitive to a lack of lifts or having to walk more than five minutes to anything than others... Tripadvisor is a useful tool, but I wouldn't take any one review too seriously; it's the overall view that's the best guide IMHO. This has a slim majority recommending it, and the "excellent" and "very good" reviews outweigh the "poor" and "terrible" ones, so it'll probably be fine for most folk. My "tripadvisor rule of thumb" when looking for a hotel is to go by the overall ranking - I try to get something in the top third, or at least the top half, and avoid anything in the bottom third. The Hilton Birmingham Metropole is rated 32nd out of 146 hotels in Birmingham, which means it's comfortably in the top quarter. By my reckoning that should be just fine. (But don't shoot me if I'm wrong!)

(Mildly interesting way of checking if my "aim for the top third, avoid the bottom third" rule works for you is to look up hotels you've previously stayed in - do the bad ones come in the bottom third, do the good ones come in the top third, are the so-so ones in the middle?)

I wouldn't worry too much - I've never had any problems there and I don't think I know of anyone who has.

You should have seen the Dr Who forums last summer - a lot of fans complained after Bad Wolf last year. I didn't have a problem myself, but then I didn't stay there.

(Mildly interesting way of checking if my "aim for the top third, avoid the bottom third" rule works for you is to look up hotels you've previously stayed in - do the bad ones come in the bottom third, do the good ones come in the top third, are the so-so ones in the middle?)

My usual Brumie haunt just scrapes into the middle section, but I've never had a complaint with it. It's classy compared to some London B&Bs I've stayed in. In both cases if it means I can buy extra autographs the day after with money saved, all I need is a bed for the night.

Edited by TerraHawk

Just spoken to the hotel on the phone. Internet in the bedrooms is �15 for 24hours , in the general hotel areas it's �10 for 24hours or �6 for 90 minutes.

Cheers for doing that, Allieandra. Clarifies things immensely. Somehow I don't think we'll be doing much internet stuff now we know the costs! ;)

I have to leave on the sunday night so will have to check out on the sunday morning. does anyone know if there is anywhere i can keep my luggage until i go home?

i don't want to be wheeling it about all day

Yeah. Just check it in with the concierge desk in the foyer.

Just spoken to the hotel on the phone. Internet in the bedrooms is �15 for 24hours, in the general hotel areas it's �10 for 24hours or �6 for 90 minutes.

I think I will be adding a dongle to list of things to buy. :o Although Park Inn was £6.50 for either 1 hour or 30 minutes.

In most comps, yeah, but some netbooks come with a linux based OS such as Xandros as standard as it is less resource hungry, means the comp often runs cooler and is generally more stable and less prone to outside influences - oh and it's a lot cheaper. You can get a dongle to run with a linux netbook, but they aren't as cheap as the likes of tmobile's payg dongle.

Overall I'm really happy with my linux eeePC, dongle situation aside.

Edited by Darth Ally

will moan about anything, some people have higher expectations than others, some people are more sensitive to a lack of lifts or having to walk more than five minutes to anything than others... Tripadvisor is a useful tool, but I wouldn't take any one review too seriously; it's the overall view that's the best guide IMHO. This has a slim majority recommending it, and the "excellent" and "very good" reviews outweigh the "poor" and "terrible" ones, so it'll probably be fine for most folk. My "tripadvisor rule of thumb" when looking for a hotel is to go by the overall ranking - I try to get something in the top third, or at least the top half, and avoid anything in the bottom third. The Hilton Birmingham Metropole is rated 32nd out of 146 hotels in Birmingham, which means it's comfortably in the top quarter. By my reckoning that should be just fine. (But don't shoot me if I'm wrong!)

I stay in the Hilton several times a year for cons and I have never had any problems. And trust me, if I have a problem, I complain. (You'll never catch me in the Thistle again for example. I came out covered in insect bites from their beds but they wouldn't do anything about it.)

But I tend to do what you do with hotels for hostels and it does work. Go with the trend not with the individual.

I have to leave on the sunday night so will have to check out on the sunday morning. does anyone know if there is anywhere i can keep my luggage until i go home?

i don't want to be wheeling it about all day

Yeah. Just check it in with the concierge desk in the foyer.

I stay in the Hilton several times a year for cons and I have never had any problems. And trust me, if I have a problem, I complain.

Thanks for this, it's encouraging to hear from someone who's stayed there several times (and in a similar context). :YAHOO:

If you have a non-smoking room don't even consider lighting up in there. If they even suspect you have you will get locked out of your room and you have to pay a fine to be allowed back in the room. Didn't happen to me but I know someone this happened to. :dance:

Thanks for this, it's encouraging to hear from someone who's stayed there several times (and in a similar context). :D

No problem! This Hilton serves the best breakfast I ever get to eat in a hotel (though I do normally stay in Youth Hostels cos I'm cheap!), and I am firm believer that every morning should start with a bowl of pineapple, grapes and strawberries. *g*

I know everyone has different experiences, and I don't really stay in swanky hotels but until something happens, I will defend this one!